Author Topic: Phosphor Glow RULES!  (Read 4560 times)

Offline Shawn Stanford

Phosphor Glow RULES!
« on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 20:32:19 »
I picked up an SSK for $75 a number of years ago. Even at that time, this was a bargain. I used the snot out of that thing.

Then the Susquehanna did its flooding thing and my SSK was a victim. It dried out, but it was wonky: some keys were intermittent, some didn't work at all. I put it into a box of spare parts in the garage figuring it would never be right again. I nosed around on line, but while a normal Model M (of which I had several) could be had for under $50, SSKs were well north of $100, generally over $200. I sadly moved on to a tenkeyless with Cherry MX keys; almost, but not quite, as nice as the buckling spring keys in the Model M.

A couple months ago I stumbled on a mention of a Model M keyboard repair site: http://phosphorglow.net/. I pinged Maxx and arranged to have my SSK repaired and refurbed. I also opted for a colored underlayment, an LED under the Caps Lock key, and a USB controller to replace the old PS2 keyboard port controller.

Maxx was outstanding to work with. He let me know when he got jammed up in the shop and replied quickly to my inquiries. He offered his advice on mods, and gave me exactly what he promised.

I just got it back tonight and OMFG IT IS AMAZING Y'ALL! It's clean, it works, the orange underlay looks cool, and the mellow blue glow from under the Caps Lock key is INCREDIBLE!

I highly recommend Maxx's work. Outstanding service and value for the money.

Oh, it is SO NICE to have my SSK back!
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Phosphor Glow RULES!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 20:50:49 »
I can't think of anyone who doesn't highly recommend Maxx's work!

I just wish it was a bit cheaper to ship Model M keyboard to the US and back to get some of mine done.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline outz

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 01:10:19 »
how long did it take for you guys to ship + receive it back?
i mailed mine early October, but unfortunately I am still waiting. Maxx is pretty backed up and I am :(

Offline Belfong

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 01:16:13 »
My current SSK is a work from Maxx as well and he completely transform that thing from a beat up junk to a beauty it is now. I have high praises for his work as well!

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 02:50:41 »
i have a board from maxx and ic ant imagine an ssk being any better, his attention to detail is second to none and honestly if anyone has an ssk, you are doing yourself a disservice by not sending it to him
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON