Author Topic: [GB] Custom CNC Aluminum Cases for Cooler Master TKL boards (SHIPPED)  (Read 139649 times)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Re: [GB] Custom CNC Aluminum Cases for Cooler Master TKL boards (SHIPPED)
« Reply #550 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 10:40:15 »
If nobody is into the shiny chrome idea, I'm happy to drop my investigations. It isn't really my cup of tea either, but I wanted to try to give people some interesting options. Makes my life easier just to do anodizing, however, so you'll get no complaint from me. :) If anybody would want a shiny chrome case, please speak up.

Maybe I should start a new IC thread separate from this group buy thread?

Regarding the 87u case, I definitely want to do it. I have already started to sketch out some ideas, but keyboards are just a hobby for me and not a full-time job, so I just squeeze time in here and there when I can, and it's hard for me to predict when I'll get unexpected surges of free time. I hope to have something to show in the coming weeks, however. I should probably start an IC for that one too.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #551 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 11:59:06 »
If nobody is into the shiny chrome idea, I'm happy to drop my investigations. It isn't really my cup of tea either, but I wanted to try to give people some interesting options. Makes my life easier just to do anodizing, however, so you'll get no complaint from me. :) If anybody would want a shiny chrome case, please speak up.

Maybe I should start a new IC thread separate from this group buy thread?

Regarding the 87u case, I definitely want to do it. I have already started to sketch out some ideas, but keyboards are just a hobby for me and not a full-time job, so I just squeeze time in here and there when I can, and it's hard for me to predict when I'll get unexpected surges of free time. I hope to have something to show in the coming weeks, however. I should probably start an IC for that one too.

R2 thread!!!

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #552 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 13:14:01 »
I should probably start an IC for that one too.

Please do so  :thumb:

Offline norbauer

« Reply #553 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 13:48:28 »
Well, here we go. :) Here's an IC for r2 of the present group buy.

I'll probably wait a week or two until I have conducted a bit more research and experimentation on the 87u before starting and IC on that one, but I def would love to do such a project.

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #554 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 07:01:36 »
Cool, looking forward to it.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #555 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 17:02:43 »
Going to post this here in case anyone had similar intentions as I did.

Just so you know, Masterkeys Pro S and Rapid-i boards have upside down switches for led illumination and I found out today that they are NOT compatible with Cherry profile keycaps.  It still seems crazy to me, but I've confirmed and found other threads here and there that also confirm.  So, all of those cool GMK sets I own like Skeletor, Hydro, Dolch, Hyperfuse, Monkey; and the ones I have coming later like Terminal, Coniferous, and [hopefully] Nautilus... will have issues with R3 keys hitting the switch housing and not properly bottoming out.   So think twice before you grab one of those keyboards.  The case is awesome.  Just really pissed that I discovered the issue with the MX boards.  I have no idea about the Novatouch compatibility since I sold mine a while back.  Currently evaluating what SA or DSA caps I have that can replace my Dolch set in this beautiful case.  Grrr. angry.

If you have a Masterkeys S or Rapid-i in this case AND you have cherry profile caps on it, do me a solid and try out the caps lock row.  See if they sound/feel a bit muted when they bottom out.  And don't hate me for pointing it out  :'(

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #556 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 17:07:28 »
Going to post this here in case anyone had similar intentions as I did.

Just so you know, Masterkeys Pro S and Rapid-i boards have upside down switches for led illumination and I found out today that they are NOT compatible with Cherry profile keycaps.  It still seems crazy to me, but I've confirmed and found other threads here and there that also confirm.  So, all of those cool GMK sets I own like Skeletor, Hydro, Dolch, Hyperfuse, Monkey; and the ones I have coming later like Terminal, Coniferous, and [hopefully] Nautilus... will have issues with R3 keys hitting the switch housing and not properly bottoming out.   So think twice before you grab one of those keyboards.  The case is awesome.  Just really pissed that I discovered the issue with the MX boards.  I have no idea about the Novatouch compatibility since I sold mine a while back.  Currently evaluating what SA or DSA caps I have that can replace my Dolch set in this beautiful case.  Grrr. angry.

If you have a Masterkeys S or Rapid-i in this case AND you have cherry profile caps on it, do me a solid and try out the caps lock row.  See if they sound/feel a bit muted when they bottom out.  And don't hate me for pointing it out  :'(

NovaTouch isn't backlit so there shouldn't be issues.

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #557 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 17:26:15 »
GMK stabilized keys will clack on the slider housing (shift, enter, backspace), but they still work. The rest are fine, including space bar, on Novatouch

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk

Offline zslane

« Reply #558 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 17:33:37 »
GMK stabilized keys will clack on the slider housing (shift, enter, backspace), but they still work.

Really? How disappointing. That completely undermines the signature thock sound of Topre switches.

I am now rethinking my consideration to put GMK Nautilus on my NovaTouch.

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #559 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 19:02:10 »
GMK stabilized keys will clack on the slider housing (shift, enter, backspace), but they still work.

Really? How disappointing. That completely undermines the signature thock sound of Topre switches.

I am now rethinking my consideration to put GMK Nautilus on my NovaTouch.

O-rings stop the clack on everything except "Enter" because it's the lowest profile, but o-rings are mushy. Well actually if you're light enough you won't clack w/ an o-ring'd "Enter" but it still louder than the rest. I'm testing out some solutions for it though. Maybe adding some very thin padding (just so it's not plastic on plastic) on the slider housing, or on the underside of the keycaps.

Just had a thought of putting a hypersphere ring on the top of the housing, I have 6 extras from the two sets I bought.

Offline adamcobabe

« Reply #560 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 14:42:38 »
Anybody found/tried different riser feet? Angle is too tall for me with the included feet. Most others that I've looked into screw in from the inside of the case. Anyone found some what work for this case?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #561 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 14:50:45 »
Anybody found/tried different riser feet? Angle is too tall for me with the included feet. Most others that I've looked into screw in from the inside of the case. Anyone found some what work for this case?

The ones that MassDrop recently sold do fit through the holes. I can vouch at least that they can be screwed into the case from the inside. Because the screw heads have a chamfer on the underside and I don't have a chamfer on the screw hole interior, however, the screw head sits a little proud (raised above the surface) of the case interior, and this may interfere with the underside of some PCBs. I haven't actually tested that yet. Anybody else had any success using other feet with the case?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #562 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 14:35:56 »
A quick update for folks who ordered the enigma black custom finish. As you know from my direct email to you, the cases are at the powder coater and have been for a while. The shop sourced the wrong powder initially, and didn’t realize it for a week after it had arrived, and that ended up slowing everything down. However, I spoke with the shop just this Wednesday and they said they had the right powder in stock now and expected to have them done today or early next week. I promise to bug them again about it on Monday. Believe me, I would really love to get these out the door so I can call round 1 finally done, so I'll keep after them. :) My apologies that it's taking so longer, however.

Offline testplsignore

• I am one with the Cup Rubber...
« Reply #563 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 05:00:47 »
Hey norbauer,

Are you judging interest for an FC660C Alu case in R2?  :p

Hasu is currently working on a custom controller and the FC660C is plate mount so the install is similar to a Realforce or Novatouch.

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline norbauer

« Reply #564 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 11:51:51 »
Hey norbauer,

Hasu is currently working on a custom controller and the FC660C is plate mount so the install is similar to a Realforce or Novatouch.

Not for r2 of this case, but so many people have asked me about it now that I might consider making such a case. I'm worried that I would feel like a bit of a fraud making a case for a keyboard that I don't own or use (I feel that the best stuff gets made when hobbyists are designing things to scratch their own itches). But, that doesn't mean that if I tried the keyboard that I might not end up liking it. ;) So, yeah, I've been thinking of ordering one to play around with. Can you recommend the best place to buy one?

Offline testplsignore

• I am one with the Cup Rubber...
« Reply #565 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 12:13:04 »
you're in luck! mk.com is getting some in April  :thumb:
(Sometimes they can be a little hard to get a hold of, due to demand)

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1323

To me it's the ideal cross between a HHKB and a Realforce, it's plate mounted and the quality of the build is fantastic. The domes also seem to feel like a cross between 45g and 55g Topre, which is a big plus.

The programmable controller hasu is working on will pretty much be the icing on the cake  :D

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #566 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 20:40:56 »
Hey norbauer,

i feel like i've seen some alu cases for those already on massdrop...

Offline hpfalcon

« Reply #567 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 20:55:35 »
i feel like i've seen some alu cases for those already on massdrop...

those were for the f660m

Offline networkdrift

« Reply #568 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 22:27:08 »
Ah, these really are beautiful. I think I'd die if a Norbauer Realforce 87u case materialized.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #569 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 15:22:38 »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #570 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 15:29:37 »
Nice! :thumb:

Offline Phenix

« Reply #571 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 17:24:12 »
@norbauer:

any news regarding my idea with the improved switch-openers?
Winter is coming.

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #572 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 17:17:06 »
I finally managed to take some shots of my clear anodized case. Very impressed by the quality. I don't have any keys yet, should arrive in May:

164265-0   164267-1

Offline norbauer

« Reply #573 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 12:53:51 »
Here is a video I made about producing round 1.  :D

Offline Phenix

« Reply #574 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 14:13:25 »
Here is a video I made about producing round 1.  :D

maybe add an link?
Winter is coming.

Offline norbauer

Offline Phenix

« Reply #576 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 14:25:25 »
maybe add an link?

Hey Phenix. Not sure which link you mean, but:

Here is the Reddit thread

And the video itself on YouTube

And Round 2

thanks norbauer, meant the video. my phone didnt showed it to ms
Winter is coming.

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #577 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 18:50:35 »
Wow, the retro refrigerator...OMG!!! Why are you trying to bankrupt me? I'm trying very hard to resist my urge to get one. I've already got a silver case but only one Novatouch board. Any liberated boards left for sale?       

Offline numerus

• Happy go lucky
« Reply #578 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 09:12:59 »
Just happy that i manage yesterday evening  to Order one of those crazzy Case in Tactical Gray so happy  :cool:cant wait for it  ;D :thumb:
KBC Poker II | HPE 87% | FILCO Majestouch 2 | Cherry G81-3000 | Marquardt MK | CM NovaTouch TKL | POK3R 

Offline Phenix

« Reply #579 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 12:23:11 »
Just happy that i manage yesterday evening  to Order one of those crazzy Case in Tactical Gray so happy  :cool:cant wait for it  ;D :thumb:
From originative?

@norbauer: Would it be possible that you make an ERGODOX case in R3? (or something comparable, eyeing the Kurplop Planet 6 / Dactyl)

Winter is coming.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #580 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 15:20:54 »
I'm almost set with my "twins" pic (I have a clear anodized and a warm gray). Just waiting for a new keycap set to come in. 

Question:
Will R2 have better results on the powder coating (tricky masking issues) since it's done by a different shop?

Offline Gajible

« Reply #581 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 02:36:12 »
Here's my Norbatouch, dome-swapped with BKE-2010 domes. GMK Stormtrooper with some purple flair!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #582 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 09:43:19 »
I'm almost set with my "twins" pic (I have a clear anodized and a warm gray). Just waiting for a new keycap set to come in. 

Question:
Will R2 have better results on the powder coating (tricky masking issues) since it's done by a different shop?

Yes, totally different shop this time around, much higher-end, local to me here in the Bay Area. That's why the powder finishes are so expensive this round compared to last. =\

Offline norbauer

« Reply #583 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 09:44:35 »
Here's my Norbatouch, dome-swapped with BKE-2010 domes. GMK Stormtrooper with some purple flair!

Show Image

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Do you know what the gram-weight is on the BKE domes? I did a dome-swap on my RealForce to 30g domes and love it.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #584 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 21:01:18 »
i really want 55 gram domes for my novatouch.

Offline Gajible

« Reply #585 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 17:15:19 »

Show Image

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Do you know what the gram-weight is on the BKE domes? I did a dome-swap on my RealForce to 30g domes and love it.

I believe they are 45g, but the force curve is definitely different. They're much more tactile than any other Topre I've tried. The bump occurs  at the bottom of the stroke as opposed to the middle and the rubber is substantially more snappy.

Would be cool to see a HaaTa force curve with them.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #586 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 01:37:11 »
Here are the twins!

165884-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 April 2017, 09:09:27 by reececonrad »

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #587 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 18:09:40 »
oh man that commodore keyboard is making me jealous!  i learned how to program on one of those guys!

Offline yonghf

« Reply #588 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 04:44:51 »
Here's mine :)

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #589 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 20:00:35 »

Show Image

that's pretty much what i'm typing on right now, except it's in a vortex case instead (shh don't tell ryan!)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #590 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 20:38:50 »

Show Image

that's pretty much what i'm typing on right now, except it's in a vortex case instead (shh don't tell ryan!)

Hehe. I actually think that the Vortex cases are greatly underrated. I have about three of them around here and really like them.

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #591 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 12:01:09 »
Got mine yesterday, love the professional packaging. Galactic Blue was a tad darker than I expected but I think it'll still look good.

Will take pictures later after I tear apart the Novatouch, probably tonight.

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #592 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 10:25:01 »

It only looks like that from certain angles, otherwise it's a very deep blue.

Easiest Keyboard "mod" I've ever done too... just popped off the Novatouch case (without removing keycaps), took out the plate, stuck the USB port on the new case, dropped the plate in, reassemble. Usually you have to pull keycaps or something to access the screws needed, but this was super easy. The box w/ foam made a nice workstation to keep the aluminum parts from sliding around on the table.

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #593 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 12:40:59 »
looks awesome!
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline norbauer

« Reply #594 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 16:42:19 »
Show Image

Show Image

It only looks like that from certain angles, otherwise it's a very deep blue.

Easiest Keyboard "mod" I've ever done too... just popped off the Novatouch case (without removing keycaps), took out the plate, stuck the USB port on the new case, dropped the plate in, reassemble. Usually you have to pull keycaps or something to access the screws needed, but this was super easy. The box w/ foam made a nice workstation to keep the aluminum parts from sliding around on the table.

Awesome pics! But this is the r1 thread. ;) I saw you posted over in r2 and will respond there as well, but I just wanted to clarify for folks reading this who might be confused.

As suggested by Auk over in the r2 thread, I'll lock this thread now to prevent any further confusion. Thanks for everyone who participated in this first keyboard case project I ever did!

More recent runs:
Round 2.5 open through 10 Sept 2017
Round 2