Author Topic: Help Identifying a Model M with some interesting keycaps...  (Read 2685 times)

Offline ekeppel

Help Identifying a Model M with some interesting keycaps...
« on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 07:53:55 »
Hi Folks,

I found this cool looking Model M and was wondering if anyone knows what company commissioned these or what they were used for?  It has some colorful and unique keycaps on it, many with sub-legends.

152662-0

I ran some searches and came up short, so I figure someone here in the keyboard collective will have seen one like this before and can help ID it. :-D

EDIT: The photo is a little soft, but the keys appear to have some link to finances.  There are ones marked ACCT INQ, MRKT DATA, MUNI INV, COMM CALC, QUICK QUOTE, RATES, TFI INV, QUO-TRON, FIN SUM, CHART, QUOTE BOX, NAV-IGATOR, etc... Maybe something made for a trading firm?
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 November 2016, 07:57:32 by ekeppel »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
Re: Help Identifying a Model M with some interesting keycaps...
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 09:25:56 »
Definitely cool caps. I believe you are right about the financial connection, as a similar board surfaced recently and was branded lexisnexis. If you dont want the caps I definitely do!

Here is the ebay auction for the similar board.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-IBM-Model-M-5-1-Keyboard-w-trackball-/262462374288

Offline ekeppel

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 09:45:31 »
Definitely cool caps. I believe you are right about the financial connection, as a similar board surfaced recently and was branded lexisnexis. If you dont want the caps I definitely do!

Here is the ebay auction for the similar board.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-IBM-Model-M-5-1-Keyboard-w-trackball-/262462374288

Ahh yes, I remember seeing that auction while doing a sold-item search recently and wondered if they were related at all.  I don't own the aforementioned Model M yet, and was hoping to get some help IDing it to determine if it's worth the asking price or not  (around $85 shipped).  I've never seen one like this before, so I'm guessing there aren't many of them around, and Google image searches aren't helping me out much either.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 15:08:22 »
FiDi  model Ms fetch a pretty price. Only ones I've seen belong to a certain r/mechanicalkeyboards mod.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 15:09:10 »
FiDi  model Ms fetch a pretty price. Only ones I've seen belong to a certain r/mechanicalkeyboards mod.
"He who must not be named"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 05:42:01 »
$85 is not bad for a reasonable condition Model M anyway.

Did you end up buying this one?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ekeppel

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 05:49:17 »
Yeah, I have it sitting here on the shelf.  I never did find much about it, but it doesn't really matter because I like the keycaps.  :-)

I'm probably going to put it up on eBay soon though.  My pile of keyboards is getting out of control and I'm focusing more on refurbishing Model Fs this year, so there are at least 8 Model Ms sitting here that will need to go if I can make some time to list them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 22:05:17 »
Posting a close-up shot of the special keycaps would be a good idea, if you have a few moments to do so, and would serve as a future reference in case someone else finds a similar keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline JP

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 20:49:29 »
I just got this Model M in the mail this week from ekeppel. The only thing I could find out about this keyboard was from this thread. Here are some close up shots.

178779-0

178781-1

178783-2

About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 21:05:09 »
Very unique!
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.