Author Topic: 2017: What are your keyboard plans?  (Read 80856 times)

Offline silverpanda94

Re: 2017: What are your keyboard plans?
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 10:52:18 »
I really hope to get my hands on a Topre Realforce RGB board.  I've wanted one since they were released, despite the price tag.  I also want one of the Razer Blackwidow V2 boards with the Orange (Cherry MX Brown equivalent) switches.  I know Razer is overpriced, but I've always been fond of their keyboards, and it matches nicely with my other peripherals, since I have one of their mouse mats and a Razer Naga mouse.

I would possibly like a custom board though at some point.  I'm wanting to build a new computer by next year with a strict white and purple theme, and a purple board with white keycaps (or vice versa) sounds like heaven for me.

Topre Realforce RGB // IBM Model M (1989) // Razer Ornata Chroma // Cherry MultiBoard MX 8100 // Microsoft Natural Keyboard 4000 (at work)

Offline tekteq

« Reply #201 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 16:39:46 »
I'm new to the game and recently bought a AnnePro for Work and a Tada68 for home. I'm going to customize the **** out of both of them. Already working on a custom wood case for the AnnePro (walnut). But I also have some features on my mind that no ready made models offer, so I also want to built something with a similar layout to the TADA68 but with more features from scratch. For example, I want a scrollwheel on the top left next to the tab button, like this KB i had in the late 90s had:

That's really something I'm missing, as it was very convenient. I don't really know how that works yet, but I'm sure the community will help me figure it out :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #202 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 16:48:41 »
Getting Wodam's HAD-II sets and a classic Dolch set. That's it for now.

Offline sgtpopwell

• "A great big bushy beard!"
« Reply #203 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 06:07:51 »
I'm pretty excited for the F77 to happen, that's the major highlight to my year in keyboarding as it stands right now. Additionally I'm still waiting on all the parts so that I can finish my Preonic, and I've also just begun ordering parts to build a 96-key layout. The 96 is still in the planning stages but I'm pretty excited about it. Part of me also wants to build an Atreus 62 and another Model M, so help my wallet  :rolleyes:

F77, Filco TKL, IBM Industrial, TKC1800, CST Laser-trac

Patiently waiting for the Model F77

Offline Phenix

« Reply #204 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 07:32:28 »
Did you go classic F77 or modern F77?

I get the point of the classic, but going to waste space for asthetic?!
eg the classic F62 is not that smaller than an modern F77 (by a few cm difference)

Winter is coming.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #205 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 07:52:00 »
1. Put some finishing touches on my Weaven 60%. (still missing leds and perhaps a fitting artisan)
2. Repair my Lightpad whose PCB I fried due to soldering ineptitude. :(
3. Maybe build a new board for my GF.
4. Focus financially on decorating my home.
5. Might be tempted to get a Tenkey for work, provided it has a USB hub
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline minfun

« Reply #206 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 11:53:12 »
i would like to get a kustom tkl!

Offline Cropzy

• Topre is love, topre is life.
« Reply #207 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 12:04:49 »
Mod my hhkb.
Build a 40%
Build a numpad
Build a custom controller
Dye or make a keycap
Learn how to solder
Acquire a model m
good feeling of oneness with cup rubber

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #208 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 14:16:16 »
  • Finish my first ground up custom build

[ ] Run GMK NorDeUK
[ ] Run another interesting GB (wink wink)
[ ] Build the first iteration of my end game (60%, split spacebar, GooseKBD case, brass plate, custom PCB)
[ ] Make a dactyl
[ ] Good lord how will I afford this crap
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline sgtpopwell

• "A great big bushy beard!"
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 00:46:25 »
Did you go classic F77 or modern F77?

I get the point of the classic, but going to waste space for asthetic?!
eg the classic F62 is not that smaller than an modern F77 (by a few cm difference)

I went classic. I don't consider it a waste of space. It's a keyboard, not a swimming pool. The difference in size is negligible to me, and I really like the way it looks. The modern compact is cool, but it looks a lot like every other keyboard available right now, it's just a slab. The classic really puts me in mind of my other vintage IBM boards.

F77, Filco TKL, IBM Industrial, TKC1800, CST Laser-trac

Patiently waiting for the Model F77

Offline Dyaems

« Reply #210 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 00:49:47 »
1. Realforce 23U
2. Model F AT (highly doubt that I will get one, but still)

B.face X2
  65g Zealios

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #211 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 02:10:29 »
****ing build the two 60% that i have waiting to be assembled, get more clacks becaus they're going down in price, and tell bee to buzz off

ayy i have achieved my goals excpet still waiting on lustro. not bad!
I love Elzy

Offline Dvoraknolegends

« Reply #212 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 19:21:05 »
Cool! Here's mine...perhaps for 2018, I'm not in a hurry...

1. (waiting for the Massdrop flat-profile 60% case for my modified Pure, and ordered GMX sound dampeners)

2. Track down a 40% board that's compatible with the Dvorak layout

3. Move my DSA caps and switches to the 40% board--the switches on the 60 are
- Ergo Gateron Browns (FANTASTIC switches; extremely light yet great tactility)
- Ergo Cherry Clears for modifiers (didn't order enough Browns :P)
- Stock Cherry Clears for the switches I couldn't mod because of the LEDs on the Pure

4. Put my heavy OEM PBTs on the 60er; give it all heavy Clear springs!

That's most of it for now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #213 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 19:59:45 »
I didn't buy a single keyboard in all of 2016. Might continue that in 2017.

The Mirra is super ****ing nice and I heavily considered doing a Mirra build, but it's very limited and not worth no goddamn $500. No case is worth $500.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 February 2017, 20:01:37 by noisyturtle »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #214 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 23:41:05 »
Not really sure if all of this will happen in 2017, but this is my "wish-list" for 2017:

-Aluminum case for KBP V80.
-DSA Lightcycle for KBP V80.
-Ellipse F77 and all its extra goodies.
-RAMA M65-A.
-GMK Nautilus.
-A custom TKL or 60% would be cool, but may wait on that until 2018.
-Filco KOBO KEYBOARD FRAME (one of the faux wood-ish colors) and SA 1965 for my Rosewill. (or maybe a cheap uniform SA set)
-Screw mod my third Model M that's just sitting here broken.
-Build something out of the spare Unicomp barrel/plate assembly I have.

I think that's it for now.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Entropia

« Reply #215 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 05:58:30 »
Purchase a Leopold FC980M with reds.

Let's hope Candykeys or Mykeyboard.eu get stock before 2017 ends.

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #216 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 14:07:51 »
I also have been interested in the JD40 but 1) the HHKB is perfect for a tiny board and 2) I need to find enough Super Blacks for a JD40 first. Yeah people say you can't type on super blacks and I'm over here begging for heavier springs for my Model M's.
Yes, HHKB is PURFECT XD too bad they are so expensive!

PURFECT...except for the layout and the utter lack of custom keycap sets.
Which is a good thing for me to stop drooling over group buys haha

Offline Data

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 14:14:06 »
  • Receive & assemble Revo Dr. D
  • Receive bamboo XMIT Hall Effect TKL
  • Swap keycaps with Chocolatier
  • Acquire K-Type TKL
  • Finally get my Round 6 keycap order from 2014
  • Stop buying keyboards for a while

K-Type isn't available yet so I picked up an Exent from the GB while I wait for K-Type to drop.

Offline darbysuperhack

« Reply #218 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 17:15:53 »
Just began my interest in mk early last month and ordered the parts for my first board. Starting out with WKL B.mini with the diffuser case. On the GB for Zealios R5 and will be getting the GMK Ocean Dolch.

Second one, I am on the GB for Let's Split and I'll be using gat greens (because they're free  ;D) Haven't decided on the caps for this yet.

Hoping to follow that up by getting the Type K when it shows up on massdrop, we'll see how the bank account is doing when that comes out...

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #219 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 17:28:48 »
I also have been interested in the JD40 but 1) the HHKB is perfect for a tiny board and 2) I need to find enough Super Blacks for a JD40 first. Yeah people say you can't type on super blacks and I'm over here begging for heavier springs for my Model M's.

Polland, you should just get a HHKB Pro if you want one. Sure they're expensive but it's very obvious that money is well spent when you have it on your desk.

The only reason i am not typing on one right now is 1) buckling springs are too good. and, 2) I realized I can't live without a dedicated numpad. No more TKL for me, ever.

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #220 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 02:16:59 »

Polland, you should just get a HHKB Pro if you want one. Sure they're expensive but it's very obvious that money is well spent when you have it on your desk.

The only reason i am not typing on one right now is 1) buckling springs are too good. and, 2) I realized I can't live without a dedicated numpad. No more TKL for me, ever.
I know this, I am considering getting one, but I want to get a 40% first and perhaps get a new laptop. Actually, a new laptop would be really nice...

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #221 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 02:56:12 »

I know this, I am considering getting one, but I want to get a 40% first and perhaps get a new laptop. Actually, a new laptop would be really nice...

You should get a new laptop, but get the HHKB before the 40%! Don't chop off the number row too bro :confused:

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #222 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 21:34:57 »
Well, just a few weeks into 2017, and plans have changed already...

1) Have most of the parts ready for my first 60% custom build.

• Using a CNC Aluminum case from MechanicalKeyboards.com
  • Carbon Fiber backplate from Sentraq
  • For the switches, I swapped a Gateron black stem into a 67g Zealios housing. I really like the feel of the spring weight at 67g, and I wanted that clear housing because it'll be using a Zeal60 PCB. The Zealios stem went into the original Gateron black's housing, but I swapped in 62g stainless springs from Originative to use for a future build.

I'm so excited to build this. Just waiting on the R2 Zeal60 PCB, another shipment of 67g Zealios to do a swap with the Gateron black stems, and the screw in stabilizers. Also will likely be putting the Jessica GMK Plum keycaps on this build. Can barely contain my excitement with this build. Can't wait to make it.

2) The acrylic bug bit. I have completely fallen for the Gon TKL Acrylic and 60% boards. I must build one of each this year. Will use the modified 62g Zealios in the Gateron black housing in one of these, and I will use either stock Gateron black or Gateron black with 67g springs swapped in. I don't know what it is about those Gon acrylic cases, but they're absolutely gorgeous to me.

Offline E3E

« Reply #223 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 07:47:08 »
Current todos:

- Finish Building my Mira Prototype. Just waiting on the PCBs

- Get a case made for my Alpetit II, build it and probably use holtite sockets for the pretty factor

- Get the FJELL case for my other Alps Eagle v1 along with a new plate for the board, ditching the old MX universal plate I rigged for Alps.

- Maybe try and get some sculpts of custom made ANSI hi pro mods for Alps done (in order to work with Alps' own hi pro caps that lack full ANSI support, which is all of them).

Hmm, bet that would be easier to 3D print actually. Uuuugh.

Offline yuppie

« Reply #224 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 14:19:00 »
I'd like to build a custom, just cant decide on a layout
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Blackhawk

« Reply #225 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 14:30:38 »
I want to build a tactile ALPs board, just need to figure out a good place to start

Offline orpheo

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 09:31:20 »

For 2017, handwired Alps Blues,  with a custom plate,  frankenstems for those glorious Sharp computer keycaps in a custom wooden case DIY. Or I go nuts and CNC a case for it! Want to commission a French shop to do the cutting job and anodizing the ****.

And more to come...
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2017, 09:36:22 by orpheo »

Offline alh84001

« Reply #227 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 10:53:12 »
Man....every time I see these keycaps I just stand there and watch them for a minute. They're like a piece of art.

Offline Arntor

« Reply #228 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 07:50:07 »
  • Dark gray Fjell case with SA Oblivion
  • Just got a FC980C. I'll eventually use the JTK sliders on it.
  • I'll probably pick up a Kira when it comes out, and I'll likely use SA Penumbra with that

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #229 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 07:58:13 »
Show Image

Show Image

For 2017, handwired Alps Blues,  with a custom plate,  frankenstems for those glorious Sharp computer keycaps in a custom wooden case DIY. Or I go nuts and CNC a case for it! Want to commission a French shop to do the cutting job and anodizing the ****.

And more to come...

A nice handwired vintage 60 in the horizon.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #230 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 08:06:19 »
Goal is to get my first Kustom board. Seem to have one lined up already ^-^

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #231 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 12:42:38 »
    I didn't want to commit to a list too early as I tend to buy things on a whim, but so far my ever-changing to-do list is as follows:

• Buy / build a full-size ready for GMK Coniferous. This is to be a permanent keyboard for work. I like 96-keys, but I want a left-hand numpad too. We'll see what comes up. Heavy tactiles, maybe something linear for the modifiers?
    • Take apart my MiniVan, either put heavier springs in the Mod-L's, or replace them with Mod-SH's - I need to know if the tactile bumps differ and compare them if they do. Also want to add cyan switch LED's. I'm too scared of breaking the thing to do any of this.
    • Swap my KBP V60 into its new case (which probably won't be straight forward), repair or replace the busted left CTRL, add Alpine Winter.
    • Build the MechMini when it arrives, not sure what direction to take it yet, but more than likely a portable travel keeb so keep it relatively inexpensive, so I might go MX Clears with heavier springs and some SA clones.

Following that, it depends what comes up or changes throughout the year, my other ideas would be:

• Try Topre a couple times and see how I feel.
    • Buy, trade, sell more artisans. That's a never-ending journey now tbh
    • Buy / build a board specifically for my Mac. Toying with the idea of just modding an AEK, or building a 65-68% with Vintage Alps. I'll be getting LightCycle in Alps too so they'll need to go on something.
  • Pick up a RoadKit
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 March 2017, 12:45:38 by smithyithy »
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline SoupDragon

« Reply #232 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 06:36:09 »
I joined the drop for the GMK Plum set, which of course is an excellent excuse to get yet another keyboard  :p

So... I've ordered a Filco TKL with MX reds and a Pexon coiled cable (in 550 Cappuccino no less to match the off white of the keys).

I'm tempted not to use any of the Burgundy keycaps from the plum set, I modified the official renders and it looks rather good:

I'm also tempted to swap out the LEDs for caps lock/scroll lock to either a dull purple or warm white.

Offline GovernorHippo

« Reply #233 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 06:06:56 »
My Plan for this year:

1) Figure out how to get my hands on swiss keycaps
2) Fail
3) Lasercut a plate for a reasonable price
4) Fail
5) Buy a finished ANSI-keyboard
6) Be unhappy with the layout and be aroud 200CHF lighter, yay

Offline justinmtype

« Reply #234 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 10:06:55 »
New Poker 2!

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 22:30:07 »
Done:

Atreus 62 with walnut wood case, MOD-M alphas, MOD-L mods, SA Nantucket Selectric

In Progress:

Let's Split with aluminum or wood case and 67g Zealios alphas, 62g mods
Ultimate Hacking Keyboard with 67g Zealios alphas, 62g mods
SA Oblivion
GMK Penumbra
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #236 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 23:45:24 »
That new Freestyle 2 is rather tempting.  If Hermes Rocketeer comes out this year, I'll probably end up picking that up as well.

Offline snarfarlarkus

« Reply #237 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 23:49:15 »
To try fix my ANSI modded Model F AT's foam mat.

I've just finished one of my end-game mx boards which has 78g Zealiostotles in the alphas and Gat yellows 76g in the modifiers with no case and SA Ice caps. Do want to pick up a nice OEM profile keycap set though.

May I also ask why anyone such as OP would consider a scissor switch board to be end-game? I've typed on Apples flat keyboards and their scissor right? They just feel like laptop switches and are so boring?

Offline orpheo

« Reply #238 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 01:47:18 »
Scissor switches fan are Apple fans that know nothing else and begin typing on real mechanical. Hahaha!

Offline Minnie2

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #239 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 01:06:51 »
2017:

I wanto buy An hhkb type-s kbd, Assemble a full-size keyboard(Matrix.);

As well as A Filco Sub white 87.
    A Bro Caps Fan

Just wanted to make sure everyone sees that information. A lot of people missed it ;)

Offline FRGMNT

« Reply #240 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 01:54:26 »
Put together an Atreus 62 with Zealios 65g

Learn Colemak and be proficient at it(typing this slowly in Colemak now)

Offline Squaggles

• Guarding my wallet...succesfully
« Reply #241 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 08:26:56 »
1. Get a keyboard with either cherry or gateron switches
2. Blank keycaps
3. ????
4. Enjoy my keebs'
Somehow managing to guard my wallet from the army of keyboards that beckon to me.

Proud owner of a Magicforce68 with Outemu brown switches,  might someday expand collection.

Offline dante

« Reply #242 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 09:20:10 »
`
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 August 2017, 07:59:13 by dante »

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #243 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 22:24:21 »
Assemble a full-size keyboard(Matrix.);

It's unfortunate that only 20 Matrix full size boards were made.  Full size customs don't get enough love.

GH-122.  More than full size (though not matrix).

I'm tempted but the parts would just sit there assembled for years.

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
« Reply #244 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 22:34:35 »
Right now, I'm in the KBD66 GB as well as GMK Burgundy so I plan on using those well. After that I have no clue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline Philister

« Reply #245 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 16:43:37 »
- get a board to try Blue Alps with
- experiment with wide mod layouts (i.e. moving home row position outward from the center by one or two columns) to compensate for no longer using split keyboards like Kinesis Freestyle
- try IBM Model F / M superfloss silencing mod
- more if time permits (ahh, the kids...)

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #246 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 19:34:25 »
Though I'm not sure if it'll be my "endgame", I'm planning on purchasing an X75 to be my sole keyboard. I'm currently sourcing the switch components and saving up for the moment the GB opens.

Aside from that, I'll continue to grow my artisan collection. There are some specific caps out there that I'd love to have, but are going to be very tough to acquire.
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #247 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 07:34:59 »
I wanna build a Phantom. I'm sick of this membrane board.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline zslane

« Reply #248 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 12:32:41 »
Update on my 2017 goals:

1. Paint the top case frame of my "Space Cadet" Topre RealForce RGB board white. DONE.
2a. Acquire a white Filco Majestouch-2 S with MX Silent Red (aka pink) switches. DONE
2b. Acquire a white Varmilo VA108M with MX Silent Red (aka pink) switches. Keyboard is on the way...
3. Get G20 Semiotic into production. DONE. G20 Semiotic is currently available on PMK.
4. Assemble the "Penhurst Pok3r" with Datamancer walnut case. DONE
5. Wait for Round 6 phase 2 to go into production. This is like waiting for Godot...
6a. Wait for LightCycle DSA to go into production. I have a KBP V60 mini in desperate need of this set.
6b. Replace the KBP V60 mini's case with a black Lambo (aluminum).
7. Wait for SA Dasher/Dancer to go into production. I also plan to run a small group buy for BLANKS myself.
8. Try to pull together a killer Hermes Rocketeer group buy bundle for MassDrop. In progress...
9. Get a Plum Nano 75 (45g), paint it tan, and put Industrial SA keycaps on it. Keyboard is on the way. I'm really hoping I won't have to replace the 45g rubber dome sheet with a 55g version.
10. Get dark blue and dark gray Norbauer aluminum cases for my NovaTouch.

I'm noticing with alarm that this list is growing faster than items are being struck off as DONE.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #249 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 16:47:20 »
Looks like my list has shrunk with the receipt of the XMIT board.  Now it's just waiting on Dasher/Dancer and possibly a 75% board.

Adjusted:

1a. Put 70g springs in XMIT board.
1b. Try out DSA and GMK caps on XMIT board.
2. Wait for Dasher/Dancer caps.
3. 75% board.  Probably going to pass on the 35g Plum board and look to something else.

Wanted a GH-122 but it will collect dust unassembled almost certainly so I'll likely end up passing.  Debating the Freestyle 2.