Author Topic: If you could play a game again for the first time, what would it be?  (Read 26956 times)

Offline vulup

Re: If you could play a game again for the first time, what would it be?
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 02:57:10 »
Final Fantasy VII
yes
Earthbound, partially because the first time I played it thru I was 8 and couldn't get thru it without a walkthrough. (It is still tricky at times without it)
yes

Secret of Mana on SNES and the MS-DOS version of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy on my old Compaq Portable III :'(

Secrete of Mana was amazing - friends and I would rent a console and the game for the weekend in high school, with 4 controllers. It was a blast.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 17:38:24 »
Final Fantasy VII
yes
Earthbound, partially because the first time I played it thru I was 8 and couldn't get thru it without a walkthrough. (It is still tricky at times without it)
yes

Secret of Mana on SNES and the MS-DOS version of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy on my old Compaq Portable III :'(

Secrete of Mana was amazing - friends and I would rent a console and the game for the weekend in high school, with 4 controllers. It was a blast.

yesssssssssss

Offline ergo_guy

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 21:47:59 »
For me it would have to be Portal, I actually played portal 2 before the first one, and I would love to be able to go back in time and play them in the proper order.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 22:54:09 »
could never make it through Secret Of Mana, I've started playing it at least half-a-dozen times and always lose interest like half-way in.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 17:09:00 »
could never make it through Secret Of Mana, I've started playing it at least half-a-dozen times and always lose interest like half-way in.

You seem to get bored with a lot of things.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 17:30:19 »
things just don't hold my interest the way they used to

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 17:48:02 »
Leisure Suit Larry

Offline Kavik

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 20:01:42 »
For me it would have to be Portal, I actually played portal 2 before the first one, and I would love to be able to go back in time and play them in the proper order.

When I first read this, I thought this was the "Which Sets Do YOU Most Desire to See a Rerun Of?" I thought, "When was there a Portal keycap set?" That would be a cool set though...
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 September 2017, 21:15:16 by Kavik »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline ergo_guy

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 20:35:13 »

When I first read this, I thought this was the "Which Sets Do YOU Most Desire to See a Rerun Of?" I thought, "When was there a Portal keycap set?" That would be a cool set thought...

I think there is/was a portal keycap set interest check or at least a render.

EDIT:  After a quick google it looks like there are some novelties of the person jumping through a portal.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 September 2017, 20:37:08 by ergo_guy »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 22:01:23 »

When I first read this, I thought this was the "Which Sets Do YOU Most Desire to See a Rerun Of?" I thought, "When was there a Portal keycap set?" That would be a cool set thought...

I think there is/was a portal keycap set interest check or at least a render.

EDIT:  After a quick google it looks like there are some novelties of the person jumping through a portal.

There WAS (is) a Portal set - a dozen, or maybe 16, keycaps with Portal-inspired glyphs on them, mostly from those lighted displays you see going into each level in Portal 1.

Only link I could find at short notice:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Portal/comments/15av88/portal_keycap_sets_for_mechanical_keyboards_on/

And the GB thread:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=22448.0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SJHL

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 07:36:15 »
Contra

Been thinking about playing Lunar: Silver Star Story lately again, also.

Offline wesleyjhere

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 08:58:25 »
I think I'd like to go back to red dead redemption, or to the moon.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 12:23:23 »
Ocarina of Time
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 14:01:34 »
All of my childhood video games on my Amiga 500 Plus such as Monkey Island, Cannon Fodder, the Goblins saga, The Chaos Engine (damn you bugged ugly Steam version), Gods, Syndicate, Moonstone, Alien Breed, International Karate Plus, Another World, Flashback, Zool, Lemmings, North & South and a ton more.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline rustywok

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 14:41:30 »
Planescape Torment

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 15:24:49 »
Probably Team Fortress 2, I just want to learn everything again and start from fresh  :p

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline Kavik

« Reply #116 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 21:19:00 »
All of my childhood video games on my Amiga 500 Plus such as Monkey Island, Cannon Fodder, the Goblins saga, The Chaos Engine (damn you bugged ugly Steam version), Gods, Syndicate, Moonstone, Alien Breed, International Karate Plus, Another World, Flashback, Zool, Lemmings, North & South and a ton more.

I had an Amiga 1000. Almost every game on that computer scared the crap out of me for some reason. I still occasionally have scary dreams about "It Came From The Desert" *shudders*.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #117 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 05:24:15 »

Ah ah this!  Still have my Amiga 500 in a garage: last time I checked it was still working.

Although the one thing that did really blow my mind is the first real-time strategy game I've played vs random strangers over the Internet. Back then for me it was Warcraft II by Blizzard (on PC). Except that the game was NOT meant to be played over the Internet. It was LAN-only.

So we'd install a software simulating a LAN over tcp/ip (it was called Kali, it has its Wikipedia page). Kali was so big that Blizzard did actually release its own customized version of it that it'd then ship with Warcraft II.

And then we'd compete and keep player rankings on "web 1.0" webpages (like Case's Ladder), where basically the system worked based on honor ("I, TacticalCoder, recognize that iMav beat me in a game of Warcraft II on the map "Plains of Snow"). We'd meet on IRC to set up matches.

This was all before battle.net existed of course.

It's this entire experience I'd want to live again: "hacking" LAN-only action games so that we could play them on the Internet, finding strangers on IRC forums and arranging games, playing the game (of course) then reporting the results on these crappy Web 1.0 sites... All this over dial-up of course (not forgetting the sound these modems made when establishing the dial-up connection).

Several of the players and teams who were at the top of Case's Ladder Warcraft II rankings became Starcraft, SC II and Warcraft III players and some made it to pro players.

I'd want to relive this: we knew it was a glimpse into the future.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 September 2017, 05:30:44 by TacticalCoder »
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Veneta td

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 04:05:53 »
h1z1?i don'r know.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 08:13:02 »
Star Control II.   (i.e. The Ur-Quan Masters)

Offline I_am_not_me_

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 16:50:59 »
Oh man, I'd say:

Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2. I've played both games so much that I know each level like the back of my hand and being able to re experience everything again like new would be amazing.

Breath of the Wild. The perfect game to go into knowing nothing and I wish I could wipe my memory after finishing and redo it.

Pokemon Crystal and Emerald. It was so fun discovering all the cool little things in the game. I'd love to go in blind again.

Twisted Metal 4 and Black. Pretty much the same reasons.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 21:50:31 »
Oh man, I'd say:

Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2. I've played both games so much that I know each level like the back of my hand and being able to re experience everything again like new would be amazing.

Breath of the Wild. The perfect game to go into knowing nothing and I wish I could wipe my memory after finishing and redo it.

Pokemon Crystal and Emerald. It was so fun discovering all the cool little things in the game. I'd love to go in blind again.

I never had Crystal version, but I had Silver. It really blew Red and Blue out of the water with the amount of exploration and added features. It's been so long since I played it that it would probably be pretty close to playing it for the first time.

Offline I_am_not_me_

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 21:54:13 »
Yeah the second gen games were huge. I can't quite remember if Silver also had 8 gyms but I'm pretty sure it did. I have played Soul Silver though and it's an absolute masterpiece in my opinion. So if you decide to revisit Johto, I'd definitely recommend the remake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kavik

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 22:20:14 »
Yeah the second gen games were huge. I can't quite remember if Silver also had 8 gyms but I'm pretty sure it did. I have played Soul Silver though and it's an absolute masterpiece in my opinion. So if you decide to revisit Johto, I'd definitely recommend the remake.

IIRC Silver had 8 gyms + the 8 gyms from Kanto.

Offline I_am_not_me_

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 22:22:21 »
Brainfart, sorry. I meant 16 as in two regions. So in that case yeah the johto games are huge.

Offline Millsoncapo

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 12:50:25 »
fifa

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 19:57:28 »
OW. While i dont play it anymore, it was still a good experience moving on from games like minecraft and playing a real fps for once.
hi.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 00:10:13 »
Metroid Prime
Bioshock Infinite
Final Fantasy VI (3 in the US)
Secret of Mana
A Link to the Past
Kings Quest VI

So, so many more

Offline 3DPlatformer

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 20:10:34 »
Oh man, I'd say:

Same here with Donkey Kong Country, but for me it's 2 and 3.

The Ratchet & Clank series, specifically the first three.

The Jak series. I'm still hoping for Jak 4, however unlikely that is.

I doubt many have heard of this game but I have to mention Cloudbuilt. It's one of few modern games I've played that has truly challenging, skill based game play. Playing that game was like learning to play video games all over again. There were times where I couldn't beat a level because I just plain wasn't good enough at the time. The only thing I could do was practice and try again the next day. Watching my skills grow and seeing my perseverance pay off to the point that I could finally complete the 'Chains' level was an amazing experience.

Offline Landcaps

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 13:57:29 »
the first game that come up in my mind is Brigandine(PS1) one of the best strategic game. not sure if there is other game with similarity.

for other games:
-command & conquer series
-warcraft 3
-Nexus: The Kingdom of the Winds (my first online game) long before ragnarok online come up.
-Ragnarok online
-world of warcraft vanilla.
-metroid all games

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 18:24:50 »
Oh man, I'd say:

Same here with Donkey Kong Country, but for me it's 2 and 3.

The Ratchet & Clank series, specifically the first three.

The Jak series. I'm still hoping for Jak 4, however unlikely that is.

I doubt many have heard of this game but I have to mention Cloudbuilt. It's one of few modern games I've played that has truly challenging, skill based game play. Playing that game was like learning to play video games all over again. There were times where I couldn't beat a level because I just plain wasn't good enough at the time. The only thing I could do was practice and try again the next day. Watching my skills grow and seeing my perseverance pay off to the point that I could finally complete the 'Chains' level was an amazing experience.

Donkey Kong snes unplayable on modern lcds ..

Similar to sonic.. too much blurring, especially on the cart levels.

Gotta dig out the crt for donkey kong.

Offline DillonHightower

• Formerly DillonHighsmith

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 03:46:43 »
Final Fantasy VII

Yep... Same

no you wouldn't..

everyone says that,  but the majority of the Growing up has made us way too impatient for those grinder-rpgs..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 08:30:13 »
Cave Story. I just started and already wish I could press reset and play on CRT instead. I want a Nintendo Switch now. halp

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 20:49:28 »
http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/

But every new game is like the first time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 03:41:07 »
I have been pretty picky on games lately. Been going back to old ones instead of getting new ones. This got me thinking about all of my favorite games.

If I could play a game again for the first time it would be Skyrim.

EDIT: I didn't even think about the pure ecstasy of playing Diablo 2 for the first time...

You?

I remember when that game came out, me and my buddy were ecstatic. I went to go grab him for some food and knocked on his barrack's room door. All I heard was "ITS OPEN.". Weirded out, I opened the door to find him rolled up in a large comforter like some sort of gamer cocoon with soda boxes on the floor and his window seal lined with what I remember to be Sunkist- sitting 3 feet from his tv. I don't know how many hours he had been up; I just know he was having a blast

Offline dodgeyhack

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 05:35:17 »
Thief. That was a whole new experience, and so intense.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 06:07:47 »
I would love to replay shadow of the Colossus again for the first time. the enigmatic nature of the game with no maps and just following the light from your sword to encountering the various beasts. you had an idea what they would look like from the statues but, nothing would ever prepare you to what you were gonna expect when you actually meet them!