Author Topic: From the JunkDrawer!  (Read 16475 times)

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
From the JunkDrawer!
« on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 01:07:46 »
Welcome to our making stuff together thread!

We started making caps as a way to pass the time while I was pregnant with my son (who is now 7 months!) and, probably due to our love of the hobby prior, ended up completely engrossed in it. Now, two sales down and ten sculpts in, we are hoping to keep moving forward. Recently, I completed the remake of Chestie (yay!) as well as finishing a couple more in the "monster series" that I have wanted to produce since the beginning. I will try and share each of these things when we get them a little more solid (silicone is done and colorways are solidified).

Our goal is to try and make caps that people will love as much as we love ours. We both have been lucky enough to experience some of the beautiful keys out there, like Coz and KeyKollectiv, Nightcaps and Keyforge, Primecaps and Caps Simulacra, Bro and HKP, Krap, Alveeno, Switzcap and soon Binge. We deeply, deeply respect all of these artisans and have been inspired by their beautiful work. Our greatest hope isn't to make a ton of money at this, or even make tons of caps, our goal is to make something that we love - and others will as well; that's why I hound you guys for feedback so much.

Thank you guys, from the bottom of my heart, for being amazing, and I look forward to being able to produce more for the community. While I'm not a seasoned vet in the hobby, if you ever have any questions about our process or input on our sculpts feel free to PM me or write here - I typically reply pretty quickly!

« Last Edit: Sun, 10 September 2017, 19:14:56 by Midnight2shayla »
Sculpt Happy

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
Re: 40 weeks pregnant - deciding to sculpt to keep from killing people
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 01:08:15 »
09/10/2017:
178050-0

06/2017:
165312-1

UPDATE 04.09.2017:
So, the last week has been crazy. We got new, faster curing resin, we were able to procure some new dyes and some new powders (thermal), and yeti is finally a reality!
I'll make sure to upload pictures tomorrow, but for now my husband has posted some in the thread. I'm so excited, and I can't wait to show you guys. Thank you for all of your support, <3 you all.

UPDATE 03.26.2017:
164023-2
Blue and Orange - our favorite colors ;)

UPDATE 02.26.2017:
Thank you all for your kind words and checking up, I have been MIA the last couple weeks because - as you guessed - I had my kid on 2/15 (and yes - adjusting to being someones parent is weird). As I type this he is sleeping in a little nest on my lap, smiling every time he passes a particularly gnarly bit of gas. I am continuing my sculpting, but it's taking a bit more balancing. Right now I am working on a couple cute St. Patty's day caps and attempting to learn to sculpt with one hand, as I finish them I will be posting pictures :) I also plan on posting pictures of a couple sketches if anyone is interested; I would love to get some feedback on which are liked!

I also wanted to update saying that we got a better pressure pot (YAY) and are getting some dusts and sturdier/faster setting resin. I'm looking forward to what these things will mean for making caps, as waiting 48 hours between casts was miserable. Thanks for reading guys, and thanks so much for checking on this thread. It meant a lot to me and really made my spirits high while in the hospital. Y'all the real MVPs <3

Here is an IMGUR link with more pictures of my husband and I's adventure so far (and more pictures of the caps from different angles).

For reference: We are using Alumilite Max Strength 3 Silicone, Alumilite "Amazing" Clear Casting Resin, A Pressure Pot (with 32PSI possibility), a hotdog-style air compressor, DSA caps, firm sculpey, and standard sculpting tools from my days of working with clay - we have about 3 colors available so far but are hoping to get more soon after our son is born (because I'll be able to cast again, and we keep hearing how exhausting newborns are).

http://imgur.com/a/SSijN

ORIGINAL POST:
Well, tomorrow I am due with my first child - and in response I have found myself making my own tiny keycaps. For some reason working with my hands again, sketching and bringing those designs to life, has really allowed me freedom from the aches and pains (and anxieties) of these last few weeks. Plus, we have recently spent around 500 on raffles and r/mechmarket between my husband and I, so I figured that this would help us curb the spending a bit.

So far, I have made 5 sculpts, one of which is unbaked still and one of which I scrapped completely, and have made molds of only two of these.

Anyways! Due to the fun I'm having with this and how much I love this community, I was hoping to share a couple of them here for some feedback/tips and tricks since i am so new and still have no idea really what the hell I'm doing. So, without further ado:

Chestie - My First Sculpt:
http://imgur.com/yBScEJa

Spidey Isaacson:
http://imgur.com/IoaAsoq

Yeti:
http://imgur.com/eOcObw3
http://imgur.com/PNi7bMd

Junk Cat (just for fun, not being produced):
http://imgur.com/gHIB8qw

Toybox (scrapped, but only for now!):
http://imgur.com/kJwO7Sh
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 September 2017, 19:15:59 by Midnight2shayla »
Sculpt Happy

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 01:08:46 »
<Reserved for future updates>
Sculpt Happy

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 02:11:41 »
Spidey and Chesty are very cute. Great work!

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 02:28:39 »
Thank you, holy crap  :eek: - huge fan of your sculpts (my husband was the one who was trying to win your raffle while we were on a date lol).
 I really appreciate your comment - I'm hoping to clean/make a few new sculpts in the hospital (probably focus on making smaller sculpts... I seem to keep making them slightly too big), and will post them here if I do, but I'm not sure they are going to let me have sharp objects under anesthesia/while having contractions.  :-X
Sculpt Happy

Offline Cocopah

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 02:35:54 »
Wow these are awesome. Interesting choice on the cat.   :))

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
40 weeks pregnant - deciding to sculpt to keep from killing people
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 02:45:05 »
Thank you, holy crap  :eek: - huge fan of your sculpts (my husband was the one who was trying to win your raffle while we were on a date lol).
 I really appreciate your comment - I'm hoping to clean/make a few new sculpts in the hospital (probably focus on making smaller sculpts... I seem to keep making them slightly too big), and will post them here if I do, but I'm not sure they are going to let me have sharp objects under anesthesia/while having contractions.  :-X

He's definitely a keeper then.

Definitely work on smaller, lower profile sculpts. The two biggest mistakes I'm seeing from newer artisans are

1. Sculpts are too large or too tall

2. Designs are rushed, and low-quality sculpts are cast into caps before they're ready

Don't rush it. I personally sculpt a rough draft, and then a separate final key for each of my designs. You'd be amazed at how much better you get in a few months when you force yourself to redo a sculpt that you think is good.

Once you have a nearly perfect sculpt, start casting. Too many people are rushing the casting process because they want to have a sale, but it's worth your while to be patient and do it right.

Also, best of luck with your delivery. Congrats on the newest addition to your family :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 February 2017, 02:46:58 by Sneaky Potato »

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 02:49:36 »
Yeaaaaah, not sure if you've ever played the game Jackbox but he was born during a particularly interesting round of TKO with our friends a few months back... not sure why that translated in my head into needing to be a keycap, but hey! I'm really glad you like him and I really, genuinely appreciate the comment - was honestly kind of anxious about posting on here :)
Sculpt Happy

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 02:52:33 »
love it, wonder if a tonberry sculpt would be possible too
Hi :)

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 02:58:01 »

He's definitely a keeper then.

Definitely work on smaller, lower profile sculpts. The two biggest mistakes I'm seeing from newer artisans are

1. Sculpts are too large or too tall

2. Designs are rushed, and low-quality sculpts are cast into caps before they're ready

Don't rush it. I personally sculpt a rough draft, and then a separate final key for each of my designs. You'd be amazed at how much better you get in a few months when you force yourself to redo a sculpt that you think is good.

Once you have a nearly perfect sculpt, start casting. Too many people are rushing the casting process because they want to have a sale, but it's worth your while to be patient and do it right.

Also, best of luck with your delivery. Congrats on the newest addition to your family :)

Thank you! I'm terrified, but it should be an interesting adventure - and he is a keeper, even if he got me into a rather expensive hobby :P

I know my sculpts are definitely on the too big front right now, I think the only one I somewhat like the size of is spidey and even he needs work. Thankfully, I'm just kind of doing this as a relaxation method right now and have a good chunk of time, so I will definitely be following your advice and trying to perfect them before even thinking about selling them. Yeti, in particular, was my favorite sculpt right now but holy crap do I need to get multiple drafts of him under my belt - he ended up hitting the keys on all sides when I tried to place him on my husbands keyboard (I used to use my corsair for measurements, but apparently the keys are spaced differently on the strafe, so the measurements I tried to stick in were worthless). I think right now I'll try and focus on making cute keys just for myself and to give away rather than worry about selling them - god knows I have a ton to learn about dye and resin in the mean-time as well.

The amount of work you put into your sculpts is definitely evident, they're absolutely gorgeous - even if I tend to lean towards cutesy stuff, your sculpts are hands-down one of my favorites just for the fine detailing. Hearing tips from you is awesome, and if you had any more I'd be all ears!
Sculpt Happy

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 03:00:17 »
love it, wonder if a tonberry sculpt would be possible too

Oh god, I hope so some day; that's one of the projects I really want to do at some point. My profile picture is actually a sketch I planned of a mini-tonberry sculpture/cap - along with another sketch I did of him dressed as a Jawa - I think those are a bit down the line, though... probably when I can get ahold of a $ynth and can make it perfect. :D
Sculpt Happy

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 05:26:13 »
Overdue now by three days, but we are having fun with colorway experimentation and metallic! Really excited at how these look!
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 February 2017, 05:31:28 by Midnight2shayla »
Sculpt Happy

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 08:29:48 »
Holy smokes. Over 40 weeks?! That kid needs an eviction notice!

Offline brennan08512

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 12:49:44 »
Congrats on a baby and the sculpts are cute! It is a decent stress relief also lol

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 14:07:58 »
Holy smokes. Over 40 weeks?! That kid needs an eviction notice!

He's getting evicted at the 41 week mark if he is stubborn, so we are just kinda waiting for that! :D
Sculpt Happy

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 14:41:38 »
Love the sculpting! Spider is awesome.

And best of luck with the kid, and relocation of same.

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 15:11:15 »
Congrats on a baby and the sculpts are cute! It is a decent stress relief also lol

Thank you!! I had a couple more, but they had an an accident involving a thrift-store oven, sooo back to square one! I'm hoping to have at least one more before I actually have the kid, because I feel like it's going to be difficult to sculpt with a newborn... here's to hoping and I'll post it here if I manage to :D
Sculpt Happy

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 15:14:05 »
Love the sculpting! Spider is awesome.

And best of luck with the kid, and relocation of same.

Thank you :) that means a lot to me, I feel really thankful that everyone here has been so supportive :D I'm hoping to refine him a bit, learn colorways, and probably do a giveaway of some sort when I feel comfortable.
Sculpt Happy

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 20:22:07 »
Looks like you're having some fun! Those look like an awesome start, good job.  :thumb:
-Dana

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 20:28:46 »
Yeti looks pretty cool, if not too fragile.

Are any of these buckling spring caps, by any chance?

PS - you never know about gestation - I was 6 weeks early but both my kids were right on time
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 00:13:50 »
Looks like you're having some fun! Those look like an awesome start, good job.  :thumb:

Thank you! :) I am definitely having fun - a lot more than I originally thought, actually. I hadn't sculpted in years, but figured with the amount of anxiety this pregnancy has brought over its course, it couldn't hurt to try. Thankfully, my husband loves it too so we have been on the same page about getting equipment, dyes, and such to try! :D
Sculpt Happy

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 00:22:24 »
Yeti looks pretty cool, if not too fragile.

Are any of these buckling spring caps, by any chance?

PS - you never know about gestation - I was 6 weeks early but both my kids were right on time

Yeti is my absolute favorite, honestly... unfortunately, after all was done and baked I found out he did push on other caps with his top layer of hair, so I am hoping like hell I can remake him soon. He's not fragile at all right now, but I do worry about that in the scaling down process. Yeti 1.1 will probably have a thicker horn base and might have a slightly less dramatic curl to his horns.

None of them are buckling spring caps right now - all boring DSA MX,  but I do want to try sculpting on all three types when I can find some to sculpt on.

Yeah, I'm discovering the unpredictable nature of this adventure. I actually had to get steroid shots and spend some time in the hospital at various points in this pregnancy due to continual bleeding/clotting problems... so I got pretty used to the idea of him coming early, guess he had other plans!
Sculpt Happy

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 14:53:34 »
I'm hoping the delay since the last post is due to the baby being born. Keep up the good work, and best of luck!

Offline hapakey

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 15:31:41 »
Taking longer than a 7bit Group Buy!   :))

Offline Wylte

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 00:40:03 »
I'm hoping the delay since the last post is due to the baby being born. Keep up the good work, and best of luck!

Just popping in to say that is indeed the reason!  Healthy, happy baby boy, and things will get rolling again once we've figured out how to parent and do other things at the same time.  Thank you for checking in, it was a real treat hearing the wife's excitement at somebody showing interest and wishing luck!

In the meantime we've got some better equipment and built a workbench to keep everything on, so once we've set up we can try out some new materials and maybe start doing this for real  :))
JunkDrawer KeyCaps - Blank Experimentalist

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 03:43:31 »

Just popping in to say that is indeed the reason!  Healthy, happy baby boy, and things will get rolling again once we've figured out how to parent and do other things at the same time.  Thank you for checking in, it was a real treat hearing the wife's excitement at somebody showing interest and wishing luck!

In the meantime we've got some better equipment and built a workbench to keep everything on, so once we've set up we can try out some new materials and maybe start doing this for real  :))

Wow!

Congratulations! :D

I hope mother and baby are doing well :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 18:42:21 »
Hey guys!
I just wanted to pop in and say how touched I am that anyone even looked at this thread, let alone asked about my well-being, with me being crappy about updates! Seriously, thank you, you're awesome and why I love this community so much.

The lack of updates, as my husband stated, was due to finally having our son at 4 days overdue. Thankfully, everything went really well and he's been a really easy kid so far (hopefully I didn't just jinx that!). I worked on some new designs in the hospital afterwards, but didn't get any sculpting time in due to constant nurse checks and family coming to visit. I'm planning on trying to continue refining "spidey" (which right now is consisting of me making him a top hat!) and sculpt a couple more in the coming week once I know my little guys routine a little better! In the meantime, if any of you have any cap ideas that you have been dying to see I would love to hear them! One of my favorite things to do right now is sketch new ideas in my sketchbook while doing feedings, and if I end up sketching an idea of yours I promise to post it/send it to you :)
Sculpt Happy

Offline HeroXLazer

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 20:02:43 »
Congratulations on the baby!!!

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 20:47:18 »
Yay! Congrats! Now begins the not-sleeping part.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 21:16:07 »
Hey guys!
I just wanted to pop in and say how touched I am that anyone even looked at this thread, let alone asked about my well-being, with me being crappy about updates! Seriously, thank you, you're awesome and why I love this community so much.

The lack of updates, as my husband stated, was due to finally having our son at 4 days overdue. Thankfully, everything went really well and he's been a really easy kid so far (hopefully I didn't just jinx that!). I worked on some new designs in the hospital afterwards, but didn't get any sculpting time in due to constant nurse checks and family coming to visit. I'm planning on trying to continue refining "spidey" (which right now is consisting of me making him a top hat!) and sculpt a couple more in the coming week once I know my little guys routine a little better! In the meantime, if any of you have any cap ideas that you have been dying to see I would love to hear them! One of my favorite things to do right now is sketch new ideas in my sketchbook while doing feedings, and if I end up sketching an idea of yours I promise to post it/send it to you :)

Congrats! Also, the Chesty key is very cute. Love it.

Offline Cocopah

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 22:10:01 »
Congrats! Were going to have to wait a while for a sale  :))

Offline Overchecken8

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 00:36:34 »
Whoa I like seeing the mold with the sculpey (I think?) then the finished keycap. That spidey key is nice!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 10:58:19 »

once we've figured out how to parent

Good luck with that part. Just when you get one phase down, they move on. Elementary school is probably your best time slot for some breathing space.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 01:24:53 »
Playing with bunnies :D looooong way to go, mainly detailing, but hey! It fits without touching other keys!
161576-0
Sculpt Happy

Offline brennan08512

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 01:05:09 »
Playing with bunnies :D looooong way to go, mainly detailing, but hey! It fits without touching other keys!
(Attachment Link)

These are really cute! Hoping to one day you have a sale!

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
Re: Had my baby! Back to sculpting!
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 01:32:01 »
Hopefully - and hopefully not too far out..! It all depends on when I feel my sculpts live up to what I would buy/put on my board... I definitely want to make the community proud after how amazing the caps I have gotten are. Coz, sneaky potato, gadzkun, eat_the_food, all the caps I've been fortunate enough to see up close - that's the level of detail I hope to achieve.

I am extremely flattered by your interest :D I tend to be self-conscious about them, so the feedback really, really helps.
Sculpt Happy

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 00:56:50 »
Baby for scale - think I'm pretty happy with this first edition of Cadbury.

Bunny butt! He will not stay soulless, by the way... we have special plans for his eyes ^.~
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 June 2018, 00:24:29 by Midnight2shayla »
Sculpt Happy

Offline DarthTader

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 02:14:12 »
Wow all these look amazing, glad I stumbled upon this thread! Congrats on the new family member! :)

Offline alveeno

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 02:27:09 »
how come i only just saw this thread? great work! :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 19:48:38 »
(Attachment Link)

Bunny butt! He will not stay soulless, by the way... we have special plans for his eyes ^.~
(Attachment Link)

Did anyone else read that as "baby for sale"? :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 22:07:02 »
Wow all these look amazing, glad I stumbled upon this thread! Congrats on the new family member! :)

Thank you so much - and welcome! :D He's actually been pretty patient with me sculpting over his sleeping body, so I'm really thankful for that! My husband and I have a shared office downstairs, and I discovered early on that making a nest in my lap for him was the best way to sculpt/play games while he napped since he wants to always be touching us lol.

how come i only just saw this thread? great work! :D

Well hello there stranger! Thank you :D hoping that at least one of them ends up being up to my standards so I can contribute to the community - it's seriously an addiction. My husband and I have now gone from 0 caps in October to like 14 caps each now... *sigh*

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Did anyone else read that as "baby for sale"? :))

Lol, I can see that - no baby for sale at this time though, that whole childbirth **** sucks ass - I have major respect for those that do it (surrogates? seriously, major props), but I honestly am still in the "people who go through this 6 or 7 times are crazy" phase of postpartum.
Sculpt Happy

Offline Wylte

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 00:48:13 »
Wanting to keep her original sculpts as full usable keycaps, M2S picked up a grab bag of DSA PBT caps to mess around on.  Super Sculpy bakes at 275f, PBT melts at 433.  No problem. :thumb:
Unfortunately, after throwing Cadbury in the oven to harden before final detailing...it turns out some of the caps are sneaky little DSA wannabes made out of ABS! :eek:
So I put ALL of them in the oven.  Weed out the impure! :))  You can see our cap graveyard, with 5 little survivors in the upper right.

Lesson: always double check your materials!
JunkDrawer KeyCaps - Blank Experimentalist

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 18:59:18 »
So, sad update.

It's come to my attention that one of my designs has basically been taken and done - I guess I should be flattered, but I'm really just really, really upset. At this time, for me, that means I now need to decide if I'm going to scrap it completely or do it anyways.

I am planning on a first, small sale in the next month and a half featuring at least 3 sculpts and a blank set prototype - but at this time I don't really feel comfortable posting those sculpts until they're done in light of this situation.

Thank you all for your input and support, I love you all and hope I can make you proud. Happy keycap hunting, and I'll see you all again before the sale (I'll update with when and where I'm at periodically if you all like!)
Sculpt Happy

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 22:56:59 »
So, sad update.

It's come to my attention that one of my designs has basically been taken and done - I guess I should be flattered, but I'm really just really, really upset. At this time, for me, that means I now need to decide if I'm going to scrap it completely or do it anyways.

I am planning on a first, small sale in the next month and a half featuring at least 3 sculpts and a blank set prototype - but at this time I don't really feel comfortable posting those sculpts until they're done in light of this situation.

Thank you all for your input and support, I love you all and hope I can make you proud. Happy keycap hunting, and I'll see you all again before the sale (I'll update with when and where I'm at periodically if you all like!)

which design in particular would you be talking about? I don't see anything that matches anything out there i've seen, some small similarities but thats it, I could be missing something though

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 23:19:09 »
So, sad update.

which design in particular would you be talking about? I don't see anything that matches anything out there i've seen, some small similarities but thats it, I could be missing something though

I don't want to cause any drama or call anyone out - so I'm not super comfortable saying who it was - besides the fact that it's not identical, just very eerily similar with suspicious timing... I'm sorry, I know that doesn't answer much :(. I just wanted to make sure that everyone knew I wasn't dead from newborn-related sleep deprivation, and also explain why one of my caps/my designs would possibly be MIA from my sale and admit how upset I am at the event if that person happened to monitor my thread again - might help for people to realize just how close to heart a design is.

Thanks for your reply, I hope you have a great day ❤️
Sculpt Happy

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 23:11:51 »
Just a little teaser  ;)

164021-0
Sculpt Happy

Offline wishful_cynic

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 23:32:32 »
So, sad update.

My guess is they're salty that Junk Cat looks like Growler, which pre-dates Junk Cat.

Offline wishful_cynic

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 23:34:10 »
So, sad update.

My guess is they're salty that Junk Cat looks like Growler, which pre-dates Junk Cat.

Could also be Spooder, but those are much less similar than Junk Cat:Growler.

Offline Midnight2shayla

• JunkDrawer KeyCaps
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 00:11:41 »
Oh god, no - it's more of a personal thing than those and I apologize if it seemed like that. Hence my reasoning for not calling anyone out - to avoid the "oh it could be this person" thing because it's just stupid drama. As I stated in my follow up post, it was an update to say that I'm still making caps and that one of my designs might be absent and I'm sorry if anyone liked it.
Junk cat was made for amusement, he's not being made at all for clarification, yeti is being remade but will make an appearance soon (damn horns were not silicone friendly!), and Spidey is still in production, hence the pictures. Let's not play "who is this about", please.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 March 2017, 00:48:41 by Midnight2shayla »
Sculpt Happy

Offline wishful_cynic

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 07:09:50 »
Oh god, no - it's more of a personal thing than those and I apologize if it seemed like that. Hence my reasoning for not calling anyone out - to avoid the "oh it could be this person" thing because it's just stupid drama. As I stated in my follow up post, it was an update to say that I'm still making caps and that one of my designs might be absent and I'm sorry if anyone liked it.
Junk cat was made for amusement, he's not being made at all for clarification, yeti is being remade but will make an appearance soon (damn horns were not silicone friendly!), and Spidey is still in production, hence the pictures. Let's not play "who is this about", please.

You probably should have left the issue alone instead of opening the door.  It's not cool when someone steals someone else's work, and this community is pretty good about coming to the defense of others when that happens.

Any way, good luck, and congrats on your growing family.