Author Topic: SSK? PICK UP ONLY, Eugene, Oregon, United States  (Read 4284 times)

Offline kbdfun

SSK? PICK UP ONLY, Eugene, Oregon, United States
« on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 19:43:19 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-ps-2-Model-25-Computer-IBM-Model-M-keyboard/302239334926?_trksid=p2050601.c100085.m2372&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140211132617%26meid%3Df83a54cb41eb4a72a2a1dedcbaa209c0%26pid%3D100085%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D142170726990%26clkid%3D3008768548124485842&_qi=RTM2247626

This is SSK, right?
Explain to a newbie, why SSKs so expensive? Just rare?
I don't care much about the size of a keyboard until I'm going to use it with laptop.
And for such case I have HHKB Pro 2.
And when I made decision between M and F, I chose F based on reviews and because it is more robust than M.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Re: SSK? PICK UP ONLY, Eugene, Oregon, United States
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 20:43:53 »
Yes, the SSK is rare. With their PCs, IBM offered either the full size or SSK. Since they were the same price, most buyers opted for the full size model M. Additionally, when Unicomp bought out Lexmark's buckling spring manufacturing equipment, somehow they didn't get the molds to make SSK cases and barrel plates.

So the only existing SSKs are those manufactured between 1987 and 1995, or thereabouts.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 March 2017, 20:45:35 by Techno Trousers »

Offline kbdfun

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 21:46:41 »
Yes, the SSK is rare. With their PCs, IBM offered either the full size or SSK. Since they were the same price, most buyers opted for the full size model M. Additionally, when Unicomp bought out Lexmark's buckling spring manufacturing equipment, somehow they didn't get the molds to make SSK cases and barrel plates.

So the only existing SSKs are those manufactured between 1987 and 1995, or thereabouts.

Thx for explanation. Btw, did I do mistake in identification of the model?

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 21:58:59 »
No mistake, that's definitely an SSK.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 19:56:19 »
$10 or thereabouts would be insane for a clean SSK!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 03:40:42 »
I had my eye on this too, since I'm not that far from OR (at least not too far for an SSK). But the page now says the auction was ended because "there was an error in the listing":

162234-0

I'm guessing someone contacted the buyer and offered them some good dough for just the keyboard—which, unlike the whole PC, they probably didn't mind mailing. Oh well.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 14:25:42 »
Of course, they may have decided to keep this PC, stop using the Internet, and work with text only. All this graphic stuff makes everything too easy, anyway.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 16:53:02 »
I was hoping to pick this up, since I live in Albany - just 45 minutes north of Eugene.

I messaged the seller and he told me that he had meant to include shipping to other parts of the US as well as post a reserve price on the unit to discourage people looking to just harvest the keyboard.  He said he would like to relist it in the future, though.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 20:10:36 »
a reserve price on the unit to discourage people looking to just harvest the keyboard. 

Ha. Did you tell him the reserve should be $230? $250 for the keyboard, and -$20 for the PC, to cover the electronics recycling cost.

I'm not sure how to convince people of this, but I firmly believe that it's a great thing when a classic keyboard is separated from an obsolete computer so the keyboard can live on. But it's a shame to force them to stay together with both gathering dust.

Reuse and recycle, right?

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 07:41:02 »
I'd just like to chime in that should someone acquire this combo (based on the above reference that it didn't sell), I'll provide a home for the computer if it's done at-cost. US destination address available.

My Model 25 is a monochrome unit with bad screenburn and this looks to be an upgrade on that basis. Though, monochrome is all you need to go on the GH IRC channel I suppose.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ekeppel

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 18:12:49 »
The seller has removed the listing and relisted just the keyboard at a starting bid of $200.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-IBM-Model-M-Space-Saver-Keyboard-Part-1391472-1987-/302246476952

I guess someone let them know what they had.

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 18:35:41 »
The seller has removed the listing and relisted just the keyboard at a starting bid of $200.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-IBM-Model-M-Space-Saver-Keyboard-Part-1391472-1987-/302246476952

I guess someone let them know what they had.

lol - so in the end he broke it up anyway!  Also: it wasn't me!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 02:09:52 »
Whee. What a circus.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 12:45:22 »
I sent him a pm and told him his keyboard is worth way more than what he probably thought. Glad he relisted it separately and got what he deserved for it!

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 13:08:06 »
No word on what happened to the computer and he didn't answer my message. Too bad.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 15:51:43 »
Who knows? He may have just sold a Clack too, then bought a private island somewhere and retired.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 15:58:17 »
I sent him a pm and told him his keyboard is worth way more than what he probably thought. Glad he relisted it separately and got what he deserved for it!

And you're sending me browns? You sir, are a monster

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 16:17:00 »

You guys know me better than that, just wanted to see if anyone would bite! :P Rough crowd today!

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 16:54:48 »

You guys know me better than that, just wanted to see if anyone would bite! :P Rough crowd today!

NASFERATUUUUUU!!!!

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 03:05:34 »
Who knows? He may have just sold a Clack too, then bought a private island somewhere and retired.

Hahahahahah.