Author Topic: This isn't right, is it? 1390120 on eBay with a 1390131 LED window...  (Read 3111 times)

Offline ekeppel

This must be a mix-up in photos, otherwise it's the first 1390120 I've seen with LEDs on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-PS2-Buckling-Spring-Keyboard-Clicky-Keyboard-1390120-Model-M-RARE-/272592747484

Edit: Photos

163162-0

163164-1
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 March 2017, 14:53:06 by ekeppel »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
It has to be two different keyboards. '120s had no lock lights because the terminal emulators they were used with showed the lock status onscreen (a holdover from the days before keyboard-based lock lights).

You see listings like this regularly, where the title has one p/n and the photos another. The seller may think, "I already have a photo of the front of a Model M, and they all look the same, so why bother taking another?" Sometimes all the photos are of a different board. Either the seller no one cares about such details, or they just don't want to bother.

Another discrepancy you often see is between an auction's title and its description. Here, for example, someone's listed an "IBM Wired Keyboard" (no clues there) whose photos show a p/n 1390477, but whose description says it's a 1394167. Obviously they've just copied and pasted a description of Model M features from somewhere else, and not bothered to substitute their board's actual details.

If I were interested in items like these, I'd definitely message the seller before bidding and ask them for the p/n and date of the keyboard they're actually selling. If you then win the auction, but get something you're not expecting, eBay has that documentation to back you up.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 March 2017, 15:36:35 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ekeppel

I think you're right.  It happens quite a bit, I'm sure.  In fact, sometimes that's the best way to find a deal. :-D

I did message the seller to let them know that they most likely have some photos mixed up.   :thumb:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
I think you're right.  It happens quite a bit, I'm sure.  In fact, sometimes that's the best way to find a deal... I did message the seller to let them know that they most likely have some photos mixed up.

LOL—so did I, and who knows how many others did?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Or maybe '120s didn't have lock lights because they were also XT-compatible, so some people used them in place of XT boards, which didn't have LLs either. Or both. Hey, I'm finding my way through the murk of keyboard history along with everyone else.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Or maybe '120s didn't have lock lights because they were also XT-compatible, so some people used them in place of XT boards, which didn't have LLs either. Or both. Hey, I'm finding my way through the murk of keyboard history along with everyone else.
No, you're right, it's because they're XT models :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
I have met this guy. He has a gigantic warehouse and is extremely knowledgeable, but his employees may be sloppy.
He is very proud of his merchandise, but sometimes has great stuff.

Odds are that the label is the keyboard that is for sale here.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"

Turns out that 'normal' model Ms are also PC/XT compatible, People on VCF have seen some into the 90s from Lexmark that will still work on a PC/XT! I'm pretty sure the 1390120 is as well, but I don't have an XT around to test it with.