Author Topic: Changing keycaps on my KuL ES-87: Any advice?  (Read 2392 times)

Offline macguy80

Changing keycaps on my KuL ES-87: Any advice?
« on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 15:27:01 »
Hi,

I have a set of Cherry-profile keycaps (and a wire keypuller) on the way. I've never removed a keycap before. The only thing I already know is that I chose the best type of keypuller. Can you give me any advice? I'm particularly concerned how to handle the stabilized keys, especially the space bar.

Thanks!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Changing keycaps on my KuL ES-87: Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 15:35:42 »
This is the best keycap puller ever

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45795.msg967098#msg967098

More of a keycap crowbar...it is awesome pure awesome sauce.

However given you don't have one of those, when using a wire puller just remember to wiggle and gently rock back and forth as you pull up, don't jerk go easy. For stabilized keys just gently pop each end off the stabilizer then work your way to the middle and lift it off the switch.

Also make sure you are only grabbing the keycap and not the switch, this shouldn't be a problem on a KUL since it is plate mounted.

And another thing if your board has clear switches they can sometimes be harder to remove caps from just be aware and don't break anything.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 March 2017, 15:40:56 by SpAmRaY »

Offline macguy80

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 16:01:22 »
Thanks, SpAmRaY! I appreciate all your advice. Have a great day!

Offline zutroy

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 16:11:51 »
SpAmRaY pretty much covered everything, but I would just add the general advice that if something is giving you trouble, always err on the light/gentle side. If something seems like it's taking a lot of force to remove (caps, stabilizer hooks, etc.), you could be doing something wrong, and it might be best to Google your issue to see if others have run into the same thing and have simple solutions. Removing caps is pretty straightforward, but I've ruined other parts of a keyboard due to impatience and applying too much force  :(

Enjoy your new caps!

Offline macguy80

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 16:14:42 »
Cheers, and will do!

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 09:02:44 »
If you replace a cap and it's loose, a little bit of sellotape (so it's wedged in) will fix it.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 11:42:37 »
I hate changing caps on my KUL keyboard. The holes to put the wire through are just so tight. You can see a good example on the ESC key.

I've been told that the best way is to remove the case and then remove the keycaps...though doing so will invalidate your warranty.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 13:05:17 »
I hate changing caps on my KUL keyboard. The holes to put the wire through are just so tight. You can see a good example on the ESC key.

I've been told that the best way is to remove the case and then remove the keycaps...though doing so will invalidate your warranty.

Doesn't the KUL sell different case colors separately though? Seems kind of weird they'd offer that to the consumer while also voiding the warranty.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 13:08:04 »
yes the only time you can take off the case (without voiding warranty) is when you're swapping it out. It wasn't very well thought out lol.

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 12:53:50 »
I have no issues changing key caps on my KUL keyboard. I change them out 3-4 times a year.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 05:53:55 »
I have a set of Cherry-profile keycaps (and a wire keypuller) on the way. I've never removed a keycap before. The only thing I already know is that I chose the best type of keypuller. Can you give me any advice? I'm particularly concerned how to handle the stabilized keys, especially the space bar.

So did you do it yet? How'd it go?

In case you haven't started yet—MX keys are usually quite easy to slide off. They're not a tight fit like Alps or buckling springs. As long as you take your time and don't force anything, you should be fine. I suggest you start on keys that aren't particularly important to you (e.g. Pause, Scroll Lock) so you can get a feel for it and not worry.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 20:22:50 »
I'm not much of a keyboard mechanic, and I just say no to anything that requires a soldering iron.  But I've swapped keycaps on boards with Cherry, Alps, BS, and Topre switches, and so far no damage.  Gentle and easy is good advice.  I've never used a KUL but I understand it uses Cherry stabilizers, which makes things a little simpler, particularly when you put the replacement caps on. 
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline macguy80

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 23:22:36 »
So did you do it yet? How'd it go?

In case you haven't started yet—MX keys are usually quite easy to slide off. They're not a tight fit like Alps or buckling springs. As long as you take your time and don't force anything, you should be fine. I suggest you start on keys that aren't particularly important to you (e.g. Pause, Scroll Lock) so you can get a feel for it and not worry.

Thanks for that advice! I took it and it paid off. It went better than I could ever have dreamed. For the space bar I ended up removing ALL the keycaps surrounding it just to be safe. It took a lot of patient convincing, but removed without damage. The Vortex PBT caps are such a nice upgrade. I'm keeping the stock keycaps only to be reinstalled in the event I decide not to keep the board. That will depend on my ability to learn not to bottom out on clears. ;)