Author Topic: Buckling spring not centered  (Read 825 times)

Offline Entropia

Buckling spring not centered
« on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 01:23:22 »
Hi. I have bought two Unicomp Ultra Classic keyboards. In one of them the left control key feels a bit wrong. It's not crisp and sometimes you can even bottom it out without the click if you press it very gently. After removing the keycap and comparing it with other keys, I've noticed that the problem is that the spring, when idle, is not completelly centered on the chimney, but almost touching the top. I wonder if there's a way to fix this. Maybe sanding some part of the keycap? I've tried forcing the position of the spring but it doesn't move.

Aparte from this, I've noticied that one of my keyboards has all the legends 1 or 2 mm displaced vertically. That's especially noticiable on the alphas, because they almost touch the top edge of the keycaps. Should I address this issue to Unicomp and request al full set of keycaps for free?

Offline 3K

Re: Buckling spring not centered
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 03:15:41 »
I've noticed that the problem is that the spring, when idle, is not completelly centered on the chimney, but almost touching the top.

Does this mean, that the spring appears rather loose hanging? I had this issue on my M, even more when using artisans. It seems to be fixable by putting on the keycap in an angle, which still hits the loose spring.
I hope I understood your problem correctly.

Aparte from this, I've noticied that one of my keyboards has all the legends 1 or 2 mm displaced vertically. That's especially noticiable on the alphas, because they almost touch the top edge of the keycaps. Should I address this issue to Unicomp and request al full set of keycaps for free?
Yes, I would do so. I ordered by Unicomp myself, and an imperfect keycaps, which was included, was quickly replaced by them. Really friendly guys!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 March 2017, 03:18:30 by 3K »

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline Entropia

Re: Buckling spring not centered
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 03:28:24 »
The spring looks OK and it's fitted in place. Like with the rest of the keys, it moves freely, but you can see that it tends to be pointing to the top of the chimney. It's like if the vertical alignment of the spring and the chimney was not correct. If it was touching the side of the chimney I'm sure the key wouldn't click at all. Since it's only offcentered, the key works but doesn't feel perfect. Actually, if I install a smaller keycap, it feels perfect, but with any longer keycap (I've tried different control keycaps) it doesn't.