Author Topic: I'm REALLY trying to like Topre...  (Read 49329 times)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
I'm REALLY trying to like Topre...
« on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 16:30:59 »
But I'm finding the 45g & 55g Realforce 87U's to be harsh and cause me RSI after extended use. I don't know if it's the lack of sweet, sweet GMK keycaps or my beloved 62g thoroughly lubed ergoclears... but both 87u's are causing me issues. I think I attribute it to the PBT & plate-mounted switches, so I don't want to write Topre off just yet!

What do you suggest I do? Do I give in to the dreaded 60% HHKB and give that a go for a while? I am a firm believer in modification, and that may be why my KUL ES-87 has stood the test of time as boards pass in and out of my collection.

I am concerned mostly with the layout of the HHKB and the steep-ish angle of the case. I use F-keys constantly, as well as ctrl + shift + arrows and ctrl  + end, ctrl +pagedown, etc. Does anyone else here use this functionality constantly on their HHKB? I dread not loving and being less efficient with the topre life.

Thoughts?

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
Re: I'm REALLY trying to like Topre...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 16:31:44 »
TLDR: Wtb HHKB 87u.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline tkim

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 16:35:38 »
I don't use the function keys that often but I use several combination as I do a lot of work in excel with my hhkb, no problems for me but YMMV

Offline zslane

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 16:42:37 »
Buying an HHKB as a blind experiment is a rather expensive way to test the Topre waters a little further. My thinking is that if you are so used to your current board that a stock RealForce gives you RSI pain, then nothing is going to ever replace your current board. You are simply too used to it now, and anything else will just feel wrong. There's probably little benefit to replacing your KUL at this point.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 17:14:07 »
if you do a dental band mod for your realforce, the force required to press down the key goes down quite a bit.

i've got a 45g RF 87U and a HHKB, both are dental band modded because i love the lighter press and the silence affect

a pack of dental bands are like $3 so if you're okay with modification then i think it could be a good test for yourself. you can unmod just as easily too.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 17:33:01 »
hhkb is 45g so not sure you'd be happy with that either. Some like the thock on the plastic hhkb opposed to the steel plate in the Realforce, these are not cheap trials here in Geekhack land.

45g is really light for me, broken in 55gs can't be beat.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 17:45:07 »
I don't know if 55g is really heavy. Or it's the key travel to actuation. Or what :P

Dental band reduces travel? that sounds promising.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 17:45:21 »
Where should I get the bands?

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 17:46:50 »
I don't know if 55g is really heavy. Or it's the key travel to actuation. Or what :P

Dental band reduces travel? that sounds promising.

reducing the travel for topre in this case means having the rubber dome already partially collapsed, so the required force from that point on is lower

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 17:48:20 »
Where should I get the bands?

ebay/aliexpress/dentist

when i first got them i ordered a few different sizes because each size would give a different level of silencing/reduced travel

Offline Tactile

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 18:49:47 »
I say just forget it. If you don't like those Realforce boards you won't like a HHKB. If you don't like Topre, well, there you go. I don't see the point of futzing around fighting your own preference. I think it would be pretty cool to just eliminate one type of keyboard/switch from my list 'cause I didn't like it. Then I wouldn't be surrounded by Topre, Model M, Model F, Alps, MX, NEC blue oval, etc. If I could eliminate one type I could make some room.  :)
REΛLFORCE

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 19:42:12 »
I say just forget it. If you don't like those Realforce boards you won't like a HHKB. If you don't like Topre, well, there you go. I don't see the point of futzing around fighting your own preference. I think it would be pretty cool to just eliminate one type of keyboard/switch from my list 'cause I didn't like it. Then I wouldn't be surrounded by Topre, Model M, Model F, Alps, MX, NEC blue oval, etc. If I could eliminate one type I could make some room.  :)

I really don't want to though :P. I think I need to give it more time one on one. I really didn't like ergoclears at first, but they have grown to have a very special place in my heart. Is there a way to soften the landing on Topre or no?

I've read time and time again that HHKB is special due to the way it's mounted. Maybe it's all heresay.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 19:44:35 »
Also, are there 50g Topre springs available for modification? I think that 50g would be the goldilocks for me.

if you do a dental band mod for your realforce, the force required to press down the key goes down quite a bit.

i've got a 45g RF 87U and a HHKB, both are dental band modded because i love the lighter press and the silence affect

a pack of dental bands are like $3 so if you're okay with modification then i think it could be a good test for yourself. you can unmod just as easily too.

Which size do you suggest then? I only want a mild difference. Nothing too big.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 21:21:20 »
topre sucks so stop trying

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 21:33:16 »

Offline Polymer

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 03:40:48 »
The HHKB might feel a bit more forgiving because it isn't on a plate..but I don't know if it'll make a difference in your RSI...

In addition, if you need heavy access to those key combinations it will suck on the HHKB...

Are you trying to not bottom out?  It's a bit weird that you're having this problem...

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 04:56:04 »
Just sell your topres and buy a Unicomp, op. you'll be glad you did  ^-^

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 05:06:48 »
But I'm finding the 45g & 55g Realforce 87U's to be harsh and cause me RSI after extended use...

Sorry to hear about the problem. If you have a history of RSI, though, I'm wondering why you didn't get one of the ergonomically weighted (45/35) boards, which the whole Realforce concept was actually about.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 05:11:43 »
Did you learn typing on rubber membrane keyboards before going to mx, or did you have model m/ other mechanical.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 05:37:40 »
Just looking at the board now, the OEM keycap profile isn't helping either. I very lightly rest my wrists on my wristpad all day everyday, so that extra height could be throwing me off too.

Is the HHKB Cherry profile?

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 05:38:16 »
But I'm finding the 45g & 55g Realforce 87U's to be harsh and cause me RSI after extended use...

Sorry to hear about the problem. If you have a history of RSI, though, I'm wondering why you didn't get one of the ergonomically weighted (45/35) boards, which the whole Realforce concept was actually about.

I don't know. For some reason, I don't think it's the weight that's the issue.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 05:40:16 »

Did you learn typing on rubber membrane keyboards before going to mx, or did you have model m/ other mechanical.

I used rubber membrane for 15-20 years before swapping to mechanical.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 05:41:06 »

it's not, your technique is the problem.

topre feels exactly like rubber membrane..  So your bad technique is being rekindled on the topre.

MX style boards retrain you to type with less force.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 05:54:01 »
Just looking at the board now, the OEM keycap profile isn't helping either. I very lightly rest my wrists on my wristpad all day everyday, so that extra height could be throwing me off too.

Is the HHKB Cherry profile?

HHKB and realforce caps are the same profile.

Topre isn't for everyone, I find myself using it occasionally then switching to something else only to switch back later.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 07:09:57 »
Right. I must say from switching back and forth, 55g is definitely a better typing experience. I've been trying to force the 45g on myself but it wasn't working.

I went ahead and ordered some heavy 3/16" dental bands to try out. The saga continues. :)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 07:11:16 »

it's not, your technique is the problem.

topre feels exactly like rubber membrane..  So your bad technique is being rekindled on the topre.

MX style boards retrain you to type with less force.

Right. I know this is not good but realistically, I can't hold my heavy ass arms up for 16 hours a day lol. It's just not practical for me at least.

But I wish I could. I'm sure it'd help my overall posture, too. I have the typical desktop slouch.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 07:16:14 »
Right. I must say from switching back and forth, 55g is definitely a better typing experience. I've been trying to force the 45g on myself but it wasn't working.

I went ahead and ordered some heavy 3/16" dental bands to try out. The saga continues. :)

Lightly lubed 55g on an HHKB is my preferred topre because 45g always feels too light and I was never a fan of the RF typing experience but the old 45g domes in HHKB Pro 1s feel great.

Not saying that you should go out and buy one but if you have the chance to try a Pro 1 you may like it more than the RF 45g.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 09:15:30 »
Hhkb, Rf, and Leopold all use the same profile, which is close to but not the same as cherry. Leopold calls it step sculpture 2 I believe, but let's just call it topre profile.
keyboards.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 09:22:43 »
Hhkb, Rf, and Leopold all use the same profile, which is close to but not the same as cherry. Leopold calls it step sculpture 2 I believe, but let's just call it topre profile.

You sure about that? I don't think topre caps are the same as Leopold step sculpture 2.

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 09:25:28 »
I had assumed the mx leopold boards used step sculpture 2 (which is similar to cherry), and the topre ones used the same base caps as hhkb / rf.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 09:33:35 »

This is false, Topre is more or less the same as OEM profile.

proof:

https://www.keychatter.com/keycaps/#profiles
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 09:38:13 »
I have an 87U 55g, an 87U variable and an HHKB. I like each for different reasons. However, my favorite is the 87U variable. If you are a touch typist, the variable weighting is perfect...for me anyway. In fact, it feels more balanced than uniform weighting simply because your weaker fingers don't have to work harder than your strong fingers. I'm not sure why the variable isn't liked around GH.

If you're wanting to try another Topre option, I'd recommend the variable over the HHKB.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 09:41:29 »

This is false, Topre is more or less the same as OEM profile.

proof:

https://www.keychatter.com/keycaps/#profiles

Well the only reason why I prefer Cherry profile when using MX keyboards is because it closely resembles Topre standard profile. And while topre switches have their faults (like forcing to bottom out, and inducing RSI), their keycaps are fantastic.
BTW here is a photo where I tried to show you resemblence of Cherry and Topre profile. White keys is HHKB, Black keys is GH60 with Gateron EnjoyPBT (it also sports 62G Zealios :)).

164321-0
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 13:24:19 »

Right. I know this is not good but realistically, I can't hold my heavy ass arms up for 16 hours a day lol. It's just not practical for me at least.

But I wish I could. I'm sure it'd help my overall posture, too. I have the typical desktop slouch.

Standing Desk,

Check out this Meerkat.. That Iconic Majestic Posture.    These are our roots..

Offline HenrikErlandsson

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 13:45:35 »
But I'm finding the 45g & 55g Realforce 87U's to be harsh and cause me RSI after extended use. I don't know if it's the lack of sweet, sweet GMK keycaps or my beloved 62g thoroughly lubed ergoclears... but both 87u's are causing me issues. I think I attribute it to the PBT & plate-mounted switches, so I don't want to write Topre off just yet!

What do you suggest I do? Do I give in to the dreaded 60% HHKB and give that a go for a while? I am a firm believer in modification, and that may be why my KUL ES-87 has stood the test of time as boards pass in and out of my collection.

I am concerned mostly with the layout of the HHKB and the steep-ish angle of the case. I use F-keys constantly, as well as ctrl + shift + arrows and ctrl  + end, ctrl +pagedown, etc. Does anyone else here use this functionality constantly on their HHKB? I dread not loving and being less efficient with the topre life.

Thoughts?
Yep, I definitely favor PCB mounted before plate mounted, and ABS before PBT. I think it's the weight.

The actuation force is the combined weight of the required finger pressure plus the weight of the keycap.

A single PBT letter key weighs 1-2.5g, whereas ABS weighs .8-1g. A maximum of 3% less pressure difference might not be so much. But a bigger key on a single switch and you have to do some math, and you won't be able to find a switch with the exact actuation force you'd want for it to be consistent.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 14:22:19 »
The more I use my RealForce, the less I like it. It was nice at first, but more and more I get the feeling they're just rubber domes. And not even the nicest rubber domes I know :/ .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 14:32:08 »
The more I use my RealForce, the less I like it. It was nice at first, but more and more I get the feeling they're just rubber domes. And not even the nicest rubber domes I know :/ .

Tp4 completely agrees.. Topre is weeb hype, 100%..  Topre IS rubber dome.. there's no differentiation whatsoever..

The force curve between each cup will be quite dissimilar relative to springs which are highly uniform.

Is topre a bad keyboard, NO,  should it be valued at more than $100 , Heck NO..

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 14:32:41 »
Haven't read through everything in this thread, but it seems like the relative height of the board matters.  If you don't have a keyboard tray/drawer, maybe pick one up and try that.  When I switched my 45g Topre from on top of the desk to a keyboard tray a few inches lower, while keeping my chair at the same height, the domes felt less resistant.

But this is as anecdotal as it gets.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 14:35:15 »
Haven't read through everything in this thread, but it seems like the relative height of the board matters.  If you don't have a keyboard tray/drawer, maybe pick one up and try that.  When I switched my 45g Topre from on top of the desk to a keyboard tray a few inches lower, while keeping my chair at the same height, the domes felt less resistant.

But this is as anecdotal as it gets.

No, your description is on the money.

When you play piano for example.. It's important that the keys be slightly below your elbow. This allows you to utilize the momentum and weight of your arms, which reduces fatigue

A lower typing/mousing surface also relaxes your shoulders from having to lift your palm plane above the keyboard plane.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 15:13:21 »
I didn't like Topre until I got my RF. It's not for everyone.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 16:04:55 »
i haven't posted on here for years, but if you're getting RSI typing on topre, your posture is incorrect..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 16:08:38 »
i haven't posted on here for years, but if you're getting RSI typing on topre, your posture is incorrect..

That's not true.

The cause of --certain types-- of RSI is related to having learned bad technique (holding, and over pressing) on rubber dome keyboards.. unrelated to sitting/standing/ positional posture

This goes away with MX, because it feels different enough to cause people to relearn typing, and type lighter.

If such a person with bad initial technique goes BACK to topre,  then that rubbery feel could cause him to Relapse..

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 16:16:44 »
All kinds of RSI are caused by incorrect application of force, which is the cause of trauma. Typing technique can be adjusted rather easily (using a technique that hurts, vs one that doesn't hurt.)

Posture is more difficult to correct, especially if you aren't aware of the issue. And as the day goes on, also becomes to more difficult to self-correct since supporting skeletal muscles become fatigued as well. This is 100% related to posture, RSI is inherently a biomechanical problem.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 March 2017, 16:20:42 by swagpiratex »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 17:44:46 »
All kinds of RSI are caused by incorrect application of force, which is the cause of trauma. Typing technique can be adjusted rather easily (using a technique that hurts, vs one that doesn't hurt.)

Posture is more difficult to correct, especially if you aren't aware of the issue. And as the day goes on, also becomes to more difficult to self-correct since supporting skeletal muscles become fatigued as well. This is 100% related to posture, RSI is inherently a biomechanical problem.

There is no objective way to say one is harder than the other to do.

We can safely assume that either is do-able..

But this can not be posture related, because he's using 2 different keyboards on the same chair and table.

Topre caused some issues,   the mx does not.

Your analysis is incorrect.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 18:01:49 »
If such a person with bad initial technique goes BACK to topre,  then that rubbery feel could cause him to Relapse..

HAHAHA

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 18:07:31 »

HAHAHA

oh... i see ... yea.. bad phrasing..

But in context it's fine.. ..

if you remove the context ,, then it's bad

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 18:25:58 »
I'm convinced people who claim Topre feels drastically different to standard rubber domes either have broken fingers or are 100% about the hype.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 19:06:18 »
I'm convinced people who claim Topre feels drastically different to standard rubber domes either have broken fingers or are 100% about the hype.

It's weeb-itis.

Obscures finger sensitivity.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 19:06:48 »

Wrong + Wrong = Wrong