Author Topic: So happy with my new Logitech MX518 shell  (Read 10671 times)

Offline Jamie UK

So happy with my new Logitech MX518 shell
« on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 10:40:12 »
Couple of months ago I made a thread saying that I wanted to replace my MX518 shell with a G400 shell. (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=86360.0)

Well, just wanted to report that it worked perfectly and I am thrilled! I got it on eBay from a user called angiesonki for $14.90 (feet included). I had been nervous about fitting it, but it was much easier than I thought and I was able to use a standard screwdriver :)

Now my mouse looks great - nice and neat with none of that irritating "blobby" silver pattern, or orange bits. Just a nice, clean, elegant mouse.

But there was an unexpected bonus… the mouse wheel has been upgraded to a much better wheel! I always liked the MX518 but I had always been disappointed with the wheel, which felt loose and just span around - it didn't really "click" in distinct increments like my previous mouse (the MS Wheel mouse Optical). However, when I changed the shell just now, I noticed there was a metal hook sticking out of the old wheel which wasn't sticking out in the new wheel. (Must have come loose in delivery back in 2009.) Now, this new wheel feels totally solid and has the "notches"! :)

So I am thrilled about this and would recommend this "upgrade" to anyone. I began this whole process thinking it was time for a new mouse, then I started to read that the MX518 was still popular even today. And now I am more than happy to keep my MX518 - I only wish I had done this a long time ago as the mouse wheel is SO much better now!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: So happy with my new Logitech MX518 shell
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 10:47:10 »
Interesting. Do you have pics?

I have an old MX 518 and do not like the shell at all. At first I thought it was damaged in the pictures I saw online way back when, only to realize that was just the design--what a weird choice.

As for the scroll wheel, sounds like yours came loose. Mine is nice and tight and came that way out of the box.

Offline Jamie UK

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 13:49:04 »
Interesting. Do you have pics?
Yes:

Offline Bucake

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 16:20:12 »
looks good, nice to hear(read) it worked out!
i got 2 of those shells from the same seller a while back (2014?), they're good quality, possibly legit logitech-made shells? can't find them atm so can't confirm :>
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Jamie UK

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 11:10:51 »
Now you need them Weeboo Omrons..
I'm not very experienced with mice, but the clicks feel perfectly fine to me, I can't really imagine it feeling better. Could you describe what kind of benefit changing the omrons might bring?

Offline Bucake

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 13:45:32 »
pretty sure the MX518 always came with omrons.
i think by "weeboo omrons" he means japanese ones in stead of chinese ones ;D most consider them to feel a bit better and have long lifespan
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 17:16:25 »
Now you need them Weeboo Omrons..
I'm not very experienced with mice, but the clicks feel perfectly fine to me, I can't really imagine it feeling better. Could you describe what kind of benefit changing the omrons might bring?

I was just kidding.. don't do it..

Offline Jamie UK

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 20:50:26 »
I was just kidding.. don't do it..
Oh OK, ha ha, thanks :)

Offline Jhors2

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 21:11:51 »
I love both of these mice, the MX518 will always have a special place in my heart though, I had one for years when they were first released.
Duck Blackbird | Duck LSv3 | Duck Unicorn X Legend |  TX-75 | Mira SE | LZ-CP | LZ Iron | LZ Ergo | Duck Jet Fire | OTD 360 Corsa Apple Silver | TGR-910 CE

Incoming: Zeal Zephyr | Duck TC-V3 | Singa R2 | LZ GH v2 | Noxary 280 S | Noxary 220 S

Offline zurikade

• Math Always Wins.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 17:19:26 »
My poor MX518 was replaced by a G602 because I was getting so tired of the casing. I've owned it since WoW vanilla first came out. It works perfectly. You have given me new life.

Offline NobodyMan

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 17:46:47 »
Hey, this is awesome.

I used a MX518 for so many years when I was younger, it was my first mouse and it lasted a long time.

Eh, well it was my first real "gaming" mouse I guess or laser/optical mouse.  I had plenty of ball mice before that. :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 June 2017, 17:50:48 by NobodyMan »