Author Topic: hi everyone!  (Read 1679 times)

Offline blackhawkpanda

hi everyone!
« on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 02:14:52 »
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to the mechanical keyboards community.

I am software engineer, but I love video games, been online gaming for close to 20 years now.

I bought my first mechanical keyboard a few years ago ~2014. It was a Logitech G710+ with Cherry MX Browns.
I loved it and really enjoyed clacking away.

However, I got married last year and my wife did not appreciate me clacking away in the bedroom while she was trying to sleep.

So in October 2016, did some quick researching and saw that MX Reds were the quietest among the "available" keyboards. So for my birthday, I got a CM MasterKeys Pro S with MX Reds, and immediately put O-rings in them after I read this thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40227.0

I met up with a buddy from work who is a member of this community, and he showed me a new world.

I started lurking reddit in January 2017...
bought a Pok3r RGB with MX Browns beginning of April 2017 http://imgur.com/msOFqdK...
wanted to research more and created an account here...
bought a couple artisans (probably last artisans I will buy, I bought these because I am a big Star Wars fan) mid April http://imgur.com/a/x35en...
bought my first "custom" keyboard (b.mini EX X2) from another reddit user last week (came in mail today)...
bought my first keyset earlier this week, and now I am looking at Group Buys to build my first kit.

I didn't expect that my interest would escalate so quickly. My friends think it's insane that I've spent over $100 on a keyboard(s).

Bottom line is: this all makes me happy :)

« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 02:47:42 by blackhawkpanda »

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
Re: hi everyone!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 02:22:02 »
Hello new member! I'm glad that you enjoy the hobby and those are some nice artisans that you've picked up. I believe that you can actually get cherry mx silents now that are quieter than reds. I have no idea if you can buy them anywhere but I thought that the idea of them is interesting. Anyways, welcome to the site.
Biking is fun.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 02:24:31 »
Welcome to the community!

Your friends will really think you are crazy when you spend $400 on one.. haha

Offline blackhawkpanda

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 02:31:32 »
Hello new member! I'm glad that you enjoy the hobby and those are some nice artisans that you've picked up. I believe that you can actually get cherry mx silents now that are quieter than reds. I have no idea if you can buy them anywhere but I thought that the idea of them is interesting. Anyways, welcome to the site.

Thanks!

After sticking around and looking at different switches further, I did read about the mx silents, but I remember reading Corsair had a board with those...so otherwise, they weren't as available on a keyboard I wanted (I now understand this concept).

My new keyboard are Zealios with Zealencios and they are pretty quiet! With really good tactile feedback. I am still waiting for my new keycaps so I am currently using my extra set of Pok3r keycaps that aren't on my Pok3r :D

edit: forgot to thank you for welcoming me :-[
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 02:37:22 by blackhawkpanda »

Offline blackhawkpanda

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 02:34:29 »
Welcome to the community!

Your friends will really think you are crazy when you spend $400 on one.. haha

Thanks!

Only a handful know I spent ~$300 on a keyboard without keycaps...  :D

Luckily some of friends understand hobbies, since some of them also have expensive hobbies.

edit: forgot to thank you  :-[