Author Topic: SPRiT springs in Zealios switches?  (Read 8249 times)

Offline Star_burp

SPRiT springs in Zealios switches?
« on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 16:26:09 »
This is my first post on this site but ive been lurking for a while and appreciate all of the great information the community shares. So, I'm eyeballing 75g/85g SPRiT's to replace the 78g stock spring in my Zealios. The description read "slightly lighter MX clear with a defined bump" so ordering them was a no brainer... It's a great switch; super smooth, no grainy feel, and has a good weight to it, it just really lacks that BUMP/ actuation force I was really banking on. Since all Zealios are the same stem, I should just be able to switch the wide 78g springs out and get that bump like the 67g Zealios have with the weight closer to the Clears, right? Has anyone swapped the Springs on a Zealios and acquired an effect close to what I've described or just have any recommendations in general?  Thanks!!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: SPRiT springs in Zealios switches?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 20:50:38 »
Haven't tried sprits in zealios but it really depends on the force curve. They'd need to be lighter up top and through the bump, then heavier down low below the bump compared to stock springs. I wouldn't bank on the description alone to tell me that's the case.
keyboards.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 21:11:27 »
I'm planning to replace the springs in my 78g Zealios with 62g versions of these:
https://sentraq.com/collections/accesories/products/custom-gold-springs
The weights are measured in bottom out force like Zealios.

Offline Star_burp

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 23:53:26 »
I'm planning to replace the springs in my 78g Zealios with 62g versions of these:

Ahhh you're man! This is just what I've been looking for. Prices are actually reasonable as well. Thank you! :)

Why are you going 62g if you don't mind me asking?

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 08:00:41 »

Ahhh you're man! This is just what I've been looking for. Prices are actually reasonable as well. Thank you! :)

It's the same weight spring I use when making ergo-clears.
I did a spring swap with them on my MOD-L switches recently to great effect.
The 67g springs were my next choice.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 May 2017, 17:47:58 by MajorKoos »

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 10:27:31 »

It's the same weight spring I use when making ergo-clears.
I did a spring swap with them on my MOD-L switches recently to great effect.
The 67g springs were my next choice.

After installing the "62g" springs and lubricating the switches I'm more confused than ever.
The switches ended up heavier than they were with the "78g" springs.
The 78g springs are also shorter.
That said, even though the keys feel heavier the they also feel tighter, so not a complete wash.
I've got some of the 45g springs on the way to test.

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 20:59:16 »
After installing the "62g" springs and lubricating the switches I'm more confused than ever.
That said, even though the keys feel heavier the they also feel tighter, so not a complete wash.
Just found this thread. I did the same mod (but reversed 62g Zealio Springs -78g Sprit) and had the same experience. My 78g Sprit Zealios feel lighter and noticed that the 78g springs are much shorter. Very odd. I ended up just putting the 62g springs back. I'm wondering if springs get shorter as the weight goes up?

Offline Deefenestrate

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 08:39:39 »
Just found this thread. I did the same mod (but reversed 62g Zealio Springs -78g Sprit) and had the same experience. My 78g Sprit Zealios feel lighter and noticed that the 78g springs are much shorter. Very odd. I ended up just putting the 62g springs back. I'm wondering if springs get shorter as the weight goes up?

Why don’t they measure actuation force like Cherry Corp?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 11:13:20 »

because that would make sense

sprit springs (and most other korean springs, while we're here) are measured at bottom out

but most other springs are measured at actuation
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Mainian

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 15:36:30 »

sprit springs (and most other korean springs, while we're here) are measured at bottom out

Not really?

In all MX switches, actuation would happen when the slider hits the contact leaf and completes the circuit. This can be different in each switch based on housing and slider construction. So in any switch and housing combination, actuation would happen when a spring is pressed down to a certain height, which would be somewhat unique to the combination of those two.

If they gave you an actuation force numbers, it would have to be per switch type (housing + slider). That's more work than just giving you bottom out force.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 16:43:34 »

Not really?

In all MX switches, actuation would happen when the slider hits the contact leaf and completes the circuit. This can be different in each switch based on housing and slider construction. So in any switch and housing combination, actuation would happen when a spring is pressed down to a certain height, which would be somewhat unique to the combination of those two.

If they gave you an actuation force numbers, it would have to be per switch type (housing + slider). That's more work than just giving you bottom out force.

spring tolerances are a joke anyway, like +-10g or something

and it's real easy to have the factory depress the spring all the way and have them give you that measurement
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90