Author Topic: Another new face.  (Read 1923 times)

Offline TennesseeTechnocrat

Another new face.
« on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 14:08:23 »
I saw the recent Gizmodo article, via Life Hacker, on Facebook the other day and I immediately thought, "Hey! I want to do that too!" So here I am.

I've been messing around with computers and networks since 1995. Spent a few years managing a production facility where we built custom computers for military applications, and then spent a few more years in the IT service industry in Washington D.C. where I did everything from service desk to network operation center work, as well as some tech-adjacent special projects.

My current computer is an iMac. I worked for Apple for a while after moving to Tennessee, and the employee discount was good. I've fallen in love with MacOS, so I think I'll be staying on the Apple train for a while. My current mouse is a 2013 Razer Death Adder, and I genuinely love Razer mice. My history with their keyboards is more spotty, and I'm using Apple keyboard (chicklets) at the moment. I do have a Razer Orbweaver I keep around for gaming though.

P.S. - I've been messing around with keyboard-layout-editor.com nightly since stumbling into your world. I'm not sure if I should be jumping right into a full build, but I went ahead and designed my dream layout (limited to keys I've seen available in keycap sales on MD).

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
Re: Another new face.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 14:28:26 »
Welcome to geekhack! Do you have a link to that gizmodo article? The 65%/68% layout you posted is fairly common, and more keep popping up recently.

Readily available:
Tada68

Similar but not exactly the same:
HHKB JP (Topre)
Leopold FC660
Varmillo VA68M

And some customs (available in aftermarket somtimes/someday):
RAMA - M-65
TARO - Exent
Redscarf - RS68
Originative Co. - Saber

Happy clacking!
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 May 2017, 14:31:28 by dubious »

Offline TennesseeTechnocrat

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 14:51:01 »
Thanks! Here is the Gizmodo article I was talking about.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 15:53:21 »
Thanks! Here is the Gizmodo article I was talking about.

Hey there! Thank you for the article--welcome!