Author Topic: [IC] Custom Keyboard - Democratic Republic of MOON - GB open  (Read 52110 times)

Offline zzyjayfree

[IC] Custom Keyboard - Democratic Republic of MOON - GB open
« on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 22:50:17 »
Due to some design issue, the previous GB attempt is a no-go. This new C thread is opened to get things right!

All discussions welcomed although I probably won't be able to answer all of them. Many many many thanks to those who are still supporting Moon, and doing your best to help out!

Photo album: http://imgur.com/a/2yFWZ
Prototype album :http://imgur.com/a/2yFWZ  http://imgur.com/a/d9dTS (disregard logo and weight design as no longer applicable)

Updates:

GB open: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90379.0#new

01-JUL-2017 Update:
Updated render to reflect new logo and weight design.
I did not hear many complain about color options this time, so I assume most people are happy with what's offered.
To clarify, logo is offered in stainless or brass (no extra cost), stripes and weight are aluminum by default and can be upgraded to brass with extra cost.
GB opening soon.

27-JUN-2017 Update:
Color options: Based on stats from previous "GB", I eliminated 3 colors as they are too close to some other colors: Coral Black and Black Oak as they are too close to Ink Black; Pumpkin Orange as it's too close to Carbon Orange.

The surviving colors are: Ink Black, Starry Night Grey, Titanium Grey, Carbon Orange, Champagne Gold, Light Grey, Blue Magenta, Wine Red, Violet Purple, Light Purple, Military Green and Fern Green.
It was not easy to name/translate the color names from Chinese and if you not remember which is which, please refer to this album: http://imgur.com/a/2yFWZ  It still includes the three eliminated colors but I listed color names under pics.

We will still allow free combination of top, bottom cases and plate. Logo will be made in stainless steel or brass at your choice with no extra cost. Weight and stripes are aluminum and can be updated to brass with extra cost. Please note that we will not allow picking colors for weight or stripes any more for cost control. Weight will be in the same color as top case, stripes will be in the same color as bottom case.

I want to hear voices before Friday, planning to re-open GB this weekend if everything's going well!

19-JUN-2017:
We have two winners! Winner for Logo is Stand.geeks (1st place for both 1st and 2nd vote)and for weight it's Gaiden (76 votes out of 129 responses)! Result link: https://goo.gl/doPKk2
To show our appreciation to these two amazing person, they will each receive 50% off on their order!
Or a cash reward (TBD) if any of them decides not to enter. Please pm me your option, whatever the decision is, it will not be published.
For everyone who submitted designs, you will receive an aluminum keycap in your order for free, winning or not.
Again, if you are not entering this GB, let me know so I can mail it to you. :thumb:
The cap does involve copyright and has been approved by the owner.

Anyways the winning logo is:
and the winning weight is:

I understand this might not be your favourite design but keep in mind ultimately it's the board design that attracted us all!

We are currently analyzing entries from previous GB attempt and discussing color options.

17-JUN-2017:
Vote form open: https://goo.gl/LQ4rK8

10-JUN-2017:
Logo designs received as of 10-JUN-2017: http://imgur.com/a/gY6cw

09-Jun-2017:
As some of you might have noticed, the title has been change to Democratic Republic of Moon. What this means is EVE would like to invite the community to actively participate in the logo design. Ofc the Moon team will do the same thing meanwhile. Base on how many designs we received, we will pick 5 logos or so and do a VOTE thing! Last but not least, if a community logo design wins, the creator will get a Moon board for $0 (I guess it means FREE).

Before you guys get too hyped, I want to point out due to EVE has pre-made some of the cases, the cut for weight is already in there. To fix this we are now changing the weight design to a weight bar, the designs will be CNC'd onto the weight.

The weight now design is now: http://imgur.com/ykCvcQl   (subject to minor changes)

To submit a design, simply post it in the thread. I'll get an album going after work tonight. GAME ON!
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 July 2017, 17:50:51 by zzyjayfree »
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline gaiden

Re: [IC] Custom Keyboard - the Moon - Coming Back
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 22:54:20 »
I sincerely hope this GB can pivot away from this setback and continue towards going live again. Whether I could join or not here is something in hope to help however I can because it would be a real shame to see such a beautiful board to go down like this. All the best @zzjayfree and company!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline Tally810

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 23:26:04 »
I sincerely hope this GB can pivot away from this setback and continue towards going live again. Whether I could join or not here is something in hope to help however I can because it would be a real shame to see such a beautiful board to go down like this. All the best @zzjayfree and company!

I like those dude.  The 2nd pic would look nice as the weight design.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 23:28:31 »
+1 gaiden

Offline neralo

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 23:28:31 »

I said this in the Gb thread but I'll just reiterate here too, that weight insert design is perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline darkslay3r

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 23:36:25 »
i hope the very best this time !
Viper V2 | TGR 910 CE | TGR 910 Poly R1 | RF 55g

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 23:50:18 »
Another vote for what gaiden has done, the weight looks amazing. I think I would prefer the M and N of the moon text to be more consistent though, either sharp or curvy, not the biggest fan of it being a mix of both. The double o's in the middle look awesome, prefer the slight offset version myself

Offline gaiden

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 00:08:46 »
@Tally810, @neralo, @roostrc0gburn, @aznreaper

Thanks guys, there are many others who chipped in and I just hope all the submissions would help put this GB back on track.

Another vote for what gaiden has done, the weight looks amazing. I think I would prefer the M and N of the moon text to be more consistent though, either sharp or curvy, not the biggest fan of it being a mix of both. The double o's in the middle look awesome, prefer the slight offset version myself

I played around a bit with fonts and ended up liking these due to parts of it resembles the cursive half moon therefore looked more fun..a bit more stylized than what I would usually go for but the overall look feels more unique. I must say I had fun with this quick project while giving PUBG a rest for the night  :p

Offline Kavik

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 00:12:39 »
Here's a picture of some logo doodles I made on sticky notes at work: http://imgur.com/a/6kmQi

If anyone wants to expand on them or make a proper mock-up, please feel free; I'm not a graphics guy.

That said, I think Gaiden's designs are great. They're close enough to the original without copying it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 June 2017, 00:19:01 by Kavik »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 00:23:29 »

modified logo:

PS: really like the inlay ideas :)

Offline neralo

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 00:25:33 »

modified logo:
Show Image

Show Image

PS: really like the inlay ideas :)

For me, this logo + gaiden's weight insert would be very very close to perfection!

HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 02:16:09 »
+1 for gaiden  :thumb:

Offline catweewee

• SINGA | singakbd.com
  • * Vendor
  • Yellows
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 02:40:18 »

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 04:09:04 »
Props for doing the right thing, GL with creating new logos!

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 09:15:43 »
Wooo, I see some spicy moon logos, nice job gaiden, rioc and cat! Meanwhile EVE is also working on it. I'll update you guys once we have anything solid.
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline N0GLUT0N

Re: [IC] Custom Keyboard - Democratic Republic of MOON
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 09:28:18 »
Show Image

I like the last one if you get rid of the star.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 09:29:42 »
Gaiden's designs are awesome. The 3rd especially
keyboards.

Offline Wraul

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 09:39:10 »
Gaiden is getting close to a great proposal, well in line with the ascetics of the original design.

I would like to provide what I hope are som constructive criticism.

The logo
  • The complete circle around the O might be problematic. Looking at the prototype it appears that the logo are cut through (see this http://i.imgur.com/FButvGD.jpg), meaning that the inner part would be lose and fall out.
    I guess it's solvable by not cutting all the way through (zzyjayfree will have to answer that) or by adding a space between the circle and the dot that are wide enough to hold the center part.
  • The typeface looks a a bit Indian to me. I think I would prefer something a bit more sci-fi. It's good, but I'm thinking that it could perhaps be even better.

The weight
There are some, what I would consider problematic visual asymmetry, mainly in the areas I highlighted.

This could be solved by putting the crescents in a straight line like I proposed in the other thread.
Here is the image again for reference.

Another benefit of having them in a straight line are the fact that the crescents can be larger and still keeeping the current height of the weight.
This should mean more bras showing through, slightly more mass and in the end a heavier keyboard.
Though to be fair the same could be achieved by increasing the height of the weight. But I like the current proportions of the weight when viewed from the inside of the keyboard.

Offline sysfury

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 10:12:07 »

The weight
There are some, what I would consider problematic visual asymmetry, mainly in the areas I highlighted.

This could be solved by putting the crescents in a straight line like I proposed in the other thread.

Show Image

I'm with Wraul on this one. Looks better in a straight line. Also Gaiden's design contains shapes the moon can't have.

Relevant xkcd: https://m.xkcd.com/1738/

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 10:23:12 »
I forgot to reserve second post for updates... So here we go

As some of you might have noticed, the title has been change to Democratic Republic of Moon. What this means is EVE would like to invite the community to actively participate in the logo design. Ofc the Moon team will do the same thing meanwhile. Base on how many designs we received, we will pick 5 logos or so and do a VOTE thing! Last but not least, if a community logo design wins, the creator will get a Moon board for $0 (I guess it means FREE).

Before you guys get too hyped, I want to point out due to EVE has pre-made some of the cases, the cut for weight is already in there. To fix this we are now changing the weight design to a weight bar, the designs will be CNC'd onto the weight.

The weight now design is now: http://imgur.com/ykCvcQl   (subject to minor changes)

To submit a design, simply post it in the thread. I'll get an album going after work tonight. GAME ON!
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 June 2017, 10:25:06 by zzyjayfree »

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 10:28:27 »
You know my design by now

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 10:31:56 »
is it topre yet

Offline Robotical

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 10:32:32 »

Can we get a CAD file or a dimensioned drawing of the weight? I would prefer to CAD up something properly to make sure it fits.

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 10:33:55 »

Can we get a CAD file or a dimensioned drawing of the weight? I would prefer to CAD up something properly to make sure it fits.

Good point, I'll ask for a weight file, it's available upon request.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 10:36:21 »
This is really cool whats happening here right now.  International keyboard community effort!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 10:59:06 »
This board is quite a ways away from my budget I feel comfortable spending on this kind of thing but I just want to take the time to say I duly respect your decision to withdraw the first buy in order to make things right. I wish you nothing but success with the GB and some people here seem super talented so I'm sure you'll find a better logo than the first one in no time!
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 June 2017, 12:51:18 by Vigrith »

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 11:15:09 »
love to see what's happening here. this keeb is going to embody the spirit of group buys. love the collaboration

Offline neralo

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 11:21:47 »
Love what's going on here! This copyright drama is turning out to be more a blessing than a curse.

Offline gaiden

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 12:16:18 »
Gaiden is getting close to a great proposal, well in line with the ascetics of the original design.

I would like to provide what I hope are som constructive criticism.

The logo
  • The complete circle around the O might be problematic. Looking at the prototype it appears that the logo are cut through (see this http://i.imgur.com/FButvGD.jpg), meaning that the inner part would be lose and fall out.
    I guess it's solvable by not cutting all the way through (zzyjayfree will have to answer that) or by adding a space between the circle and the dot that are wide enough to hold the center part.
  • The typeface looks a a bit Indian to me. I think I would prefer something a bit more sci-fi. It's good, but I'm thinking that it could perhaps be even better.

The weight

Show Image

Show Image

Another benefit of having them in a straight line are the fact that the crescents can be larger and still keeeping the current height of the weight.
This should mean more bras showing through, slightly more mass and in the end a heavier keyboard.
Though to be fair the same could be achieved by increasing the height of the weight. But I like the current proportions of the weight when viewed from the inside of the keyboard.
@Wraul, thank you so much for the comment. Will make some updates to it later on tonight now that it has become a friendly competition 🤣

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 13:40:59 »

Offline N0GLUT0N

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 13:55:46 »

made a couple.

Offline Robotical

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 13:56:36 »

Thank you. Also are you guys planning to etch or fully CNC the weight?

Offline N0GLUT0N

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 15:02:34 »
These are a collab between me and my friend who does lettering...

Let me know if you like any or want me to change anything etc.

Offline gaiden

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 17:11:26 »

v1.1
  - a few addition for themed variety
  - weight design updated to realistic moon shapes (thanks @Wraul)

have a great weekend guys!  :thumb:

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 17:15:27 »
Show Image

v1.1

I really like these!  The concept of a moon orbiting the larger O is my favorite design idea.  C-Nature is my favorite one here

Offline gaiden

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 17:51:53 »
Show Image

v1.1

I really like these!  The concept of a moon orbiting the larger O is my favorite design idea.  C-Nature is my favorite one here
I have to admit I'm​ drawn towards "[c] Nature" as well the fluidity resembles the overall shape of the Moon keyboard. Thanks for the input.

Offline swangful

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 18:09:50 »
So excited for GB R2. Since this is a community effort, can we include a small little geekhack logo somewhere? :D

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 18:10:56 »
So excited for GB R2. Since this is a community effort, can we include a small little geekhack logo somewhere? :D

nooo! maybe a geekhack keycap on the side

Offline swangful

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 18:15:17 »

Offline gaiden

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 18:28:05 »

@busgamer7394 sounds like an opportunity for some artisans with matching colors 😉

Offline dblack

• Formerly ZuXzu
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 18:52:13 »

@busgamer7394 sounds like an opportunity for some artisans with matching colors 😉

Lol, please no geekhack engravings.

Offline wingsnsky

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 18:57:32 »
In the new design, is it possible to move the PCB and plate a little bit lower to hide the switches? I think it will make high-profile keycaps look better on it.

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 19:23:19 »

Thank you. Also are you guys planning to etch or fully CNC the weight?

It will be fully CNC'd through so the final design will now be on the weight.

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 19:26:23 »
That could be easily done on the weight bar. I'm thinking maybe put it on the inner side but it will be in the vote too

Offline Tally810

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 19:32:53 »

+1 I love gh but don't need it on my board

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline nothingzzz

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 20:03:09 »
So when will the submission stage end?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Offline catweewee

• SINGA | singakbd.com
  • * Vendor
  • Yellows
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 23:44:13 »
That could be easily done on the weight bar. I'm thinking maybe put it on the inner side but it will be in the vote too

No ty

Offline neralo

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 23:58:39 »

No ty

Ditto

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 00:01:08 »

not in favor

maybe run a GH logo keycap alongside

but definitely not on the board itself
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 00:39:56 »
I feel like the new weight design is too small compare to the whole board, should make it a little bigger than that