Author Topic: Cherry QC, produes oneofakind switch! Help to make it normal please.  (Read 1144 times)

Offline typo

HI, sorry I have started Three threads in a week! This is getting crazy. I hope someone helps this time. As this should be a lot more straightforward. I searched and fully expected to find the answer but perhaps used wrong search terms.

Anyways, I have all clear/White switches on a board. In another thread I had said I used a blue on a key. Then I wondered why I did that. Well, I in fact used a white. Perhaps he only white in existance that clicks audibly like a blue! WTF? So I just need someone to please point me to a post about "declicking" these. If that is even possible but I think I have done it before. Just do not remember how. If there is no other post please just tell me the procedure. If it is even possible. It is not a blue that's for sure. It is exactly a clear per force gauge but incredibly they put a clicker in it. It was my last clear go figure. Do not want to pay the Ebay price for one. As you know these are not easy to find. Otherwise screw it at least it is on ALT which is not exactly a typing key. So does not really rin he experience. Being Anal as I am I would love to declick it! Anyone want to take a go on this?

Thank you, and again I apologize for starting Three threads in a week. This has been a nightmare but worth it to me at least. 

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Cherry QC, produes oneofakind switch! Help to make it normal please.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 05:46:22 »
Cherry makes clicky white switches these are different than cherry clear switches that are tactile.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 06:24:49 »
So I take it the only way you can tell is obviously it is clicky but the part number? Then my bad.I made A mistake. Nonetheless it was my last white and every other one is tactile. Can I declick it? Otherwise would you really even care since it s on the ALT key? Not really a key you use while typing. Oh wait I guess I mean they are all clear as in tactile and this one must be white. Stems all appear the same to me.

Offline calavera

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 06:30:45 »
Clears and whites are two different switches. pic:

https://deskthority.net/wiki/File:Cherry_MX_clear_vs_white.jpg

left: clears = tactile (aka vintage clears)
right: white(milky or whatever) = clicky

The latter being the ****ty inconsistent pos switch nobody likes. So what you have is a clear mx board with a single mx white in it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 06:51:17 »
In the picture linked above you can see the white switch has a small bump on it.

As far as making it not click, you could do some variation  of the jailhouse mod.

You could just leave it alone and see if it bothers you.

Or I'm sure you can find a clear switch or just a clear stem and spring and swap that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Data

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 07:08:41 »
If your plate supports switch top removal you can do the switch surgery yourself and just swap guts with a known/tested clear switch.

If not, then you must desolder.

Offline typo

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 12:30:06 »
Yeah, you guy's are spot on. I missed the bump, easy to do I gather. Very close color and I have a heavy prescription on my glasses. I thought Damn, what luck my last clear just when I need one more. Sonofa*****! Well, I can see if I don't mind. TBH, The Alt only gets used for an occasional CTRL,Alt,Del to bring up task Mgr. Seeing as it should not get much use I doubt imminent failure is looming. Also, as mentioned since it is not a typing key and seldom used I could just leave it. I am just Anal like that. Quite frankly on that key it hardly matters. Not like it is going to F up my typing any worse. It does allow one to open it but I would need to procure a Clear stem. In which case IMO it is easier to just replace the switch. Instead of my old azz lose all the parts. I can still solder amazingly. Well, not SMD but luckily I have the original through hole board. Which incidentally was the better variant of it.

Thanks guy's