Author Topic: [IC] Low-Profile Switch Tester with Standard MX Stem  (Read 2723 times)

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
[IC] Low-Profile Switch Tester with Standard MX Stem
« on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 20:43:16 »
Wait, a low-profile switch that fits standard keycaps?

A couple weeks ago I snagged samples of this low-profile mechanical switch design from Greetech. What really caught my attention was what looked like a standard Cherry MX stem for the keycaps.

At first I thought the switches didn't work with MX keycaps, but this week I figured they do fit. If you don't force the keycap on too far, or you use an o-ring to reduce the stem length, they'll work.

Since there is some great potential here for a low-profile keyboard kit that can accept (some) standard keycaps, I want to know who else might be interested in checking them out.

So I'm strongly considering ordering a small batch (a few hundred) of switches and making some tester kits like this prototype:

The switch on the right is a standard-sized switch. Here is a better shot of the height difference, both keys are in the "UP" position:

And one without keycaps:

These low-profile switches are PCB mount only and use the same mounting pins as the standard Cherry switches. There is one electrical pin out of place, so they are not entirely a drop-in replacement. Any PCB designs will need to move one hole.

Here is a switch teardown:

It has a very generous opening for mounting LEDs too.

The Interest Check

For around $10 I could put together switch tester kits with:
  • 1x Low-profile blue 'clicky' switch
  • 1x Low-profile red 'soft-tactile' switch
  • 1x Low-profile black 'linear' switch
  • 1x Bent acrylic switch tester for 3x PCB mount switches (fits standard-sized switches too)
  • 3x Black rubber o-rings
  • 3x Blank keycaps

Or I could just discount the kit ($7-ish) and go without keycaps and o-rings.

Between the lead time on getting the switches and a couple weeks I'll be out of town in July, these probably wouldn't be ready until early August.

Thanks!

Offline deeoh

Re: [IC] Low-Profile Switch Tester with Standard MX Stem
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 20:46:43 »
I like the idea of the discount kit, I always have spare caps lying around. Count me in!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk