Author Topic: Cut The Baby In Half  (Read 2461 times)

Offline maltman

Cut The Baby In Half
« on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 19:45:59 »
Legend has it that King Solomon of old suggested cutting a young child in two in order to resolve a conflict between two women.

My dilemma is less dire, but has the same solution:I want to mod my Kinesis Advantage into a truly split keyboard.

Like this:
174786-0

Here is what I have to work with:

174784-1

It doesn't seem all that difficult.

I would not be cutting any silicon. Just re-positioning the center circuit to either be on the left hand side of the cut, or putting it in it's own plastic box.

The only problem I foresee is that I need to purchase longer versions of those six connectors in order to move the center piece out of the way to do the cut. If anyone can tell me the name of those six connectors and if there is anything special about hooking them up, please let me know I would appreciate it.

So why do I want to do this???
I just want more tenting really. And more real estate for the mouse while gayming.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 August 2017, 19:52:53 by maltman »

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: Cut The Baby In Half
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 19:55:19 »
bro just get an ergodox

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 20:08:05 »
King Solomon didn't bring that predicament upon himself. A wicked woman did.

Offline vvp

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 01:49:05 »
If you can do some soldering (including SMD) and have access to a RepRap (20x20 cm build plate) then you can build K84CS in about 60-70 hours and $100 - $200 (it depends mostly on how cheaply you can get keycaps and switches).

Although cutting a Kinesiss is definitely quicker.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 12:15:24 »
If you can do some soldering (including SMD) and have access to a RepRap (20x20 cm build plate) then you can build K84CS in about 60-70 hours and $100 - $200 (it depends mostly on how cheaply you can get keycaps and switches).

Although cutting a Kinesiss is definitely quicker.

And cheaper.. I still have to figure out how to make mine work with win.

Good luck!
Winter is coming.

Offline maltman

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 02:20:31 »
I really do want an ErgoDox. I'm a broke ass college student who lives with his parents. I have never done any soldering, but my life seems to be unavoidably going in that direction: The direction of a solder wielding neck beard. The ErgoDox tempts me. Isn't there like a really cheap ErgoDox somewhere?

I bought this Advantage used on craigslist for like 120$ so I really wouldn't mind desecrating it with a band saw in the name of ergonomics. I just need to know what to replace those short chords with.

My girlfriend says it is a really bad idea to cut the kinesis in half. She thinks I'm insane. I am prompted by the pain that the Kinesis has been giving me in my left hand, on the top of it near the knuckle. I think it's from playing too many first person games and holding down the movement keys for like 20 hours straight.

I've been using the Advantage for about three weeks now. I can never go back to a normal keyboard now. I tried. I've been changed.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 03:02:06 »
Isn't there like a really cheap ErgoDox somewhere?
The Ergodone. Read more here.

My girlfriend [...] She thinks I'm insane.
In the eyes of their lady, every man is insane.

My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Phenix

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 04:09:59 »
The ergodox is flat, not curved. Is it better!?
Depends on one self..
To avoid soldering maybe look into
Ribbon cable extensions
Or ribbon cable female feMale and add a male cable.
Winter is coming.

Offline klaushouse

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 00:31:59 »
I believe in you don't listen to naysayers, follow your dream!**

**i know nothing about what im talking about

Offline maltman

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 00:03:54 »
Thanks Klaus. I am still on the fence about the bisection. I might sell this kinesis advantage and buy either an ergodox, a keyboardio, or the Diverge II. I think that I want a keyboard that is both very flat and  very split with thumb keys that are easy to reach.

A few days ago I managed to pick up a lowforce kinesis keypad on craigslist for 20$, completely unused. Some yokels said they had gotten boxes of electronic stuff from a computer store going out of business and were just throwing most of it away!

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 06:44:54 »
Bumper sticker of the month....

"I have never done any soldering, but my life seems to be unavoidably going in that direction: The direction of a solder wielding neck beard"