Author Topic: Help: Cherry stab not returning?  (Read 7364 times)

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

Help: Cherry stab not returning?
« on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 14:40:42 »
I am working on building a kc60 right now, and my 2u backspace stab is like really heavy, it moves properly, but requires too much force to move.

They are all assembled correctly, and only two stabs are giving me this problem. (backspace and left shift)

anyone got any ideas?

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

Re: Help: Cherry stab not returning?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 14:46:31 »
update... I pushed the expandy bits that push through the pcb up and out a bit.. and everything is working fine?? thats odd

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 15:30:50 »
Guessing the stabilizer wire is too long or somehow making contact with the plate or PCB.  Thick super lube works well on these.  But if it works, it works.  I also found the same thing happens if the posts for the stabilizers (the ones on the keycaps) are too far apart or too close together (not properly made).  It will cause the stabilizer to hang like this.  Glad you found a solution.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 15:38:46 »
By the way.... box whites?  Nice.  I'm thinking about putting these in a board as well.  I haven't tried the box, but I've tried the bronze, speed version.

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 15:51:16 »
By the way.... box whites?  Nice.  I'm thinking about putting these in a board as well.  I haven't tried the box, but I've tried the bronze, speed version.

Yeah, these switches are some of the nicest things that I've ever typed on.. I don't think I will ever go back to Topre after this lol!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 16:04:42 »
update... I pushed the expandy bits that push through the pcb up and out a bit.. and everything is working fine??...

Guessing the stabilizer wire is too long or somehow making contact with the plate or PCB.  Thick super lube works well on these...

I was going to suggest lube, which seemed somewhat obvious, but the OP hadn't mentioned trying it. (Also, being married, GH is the only place I get to suggest lube anymore.)

Anyway, glad you fixed it, sam0s. It's always good to have an account of a fixed problem here, too. If it happened to you, it can happen to other peeps. Who knows—it may happen to someone who hasn't even started typing yet, or someone who hasn't been born. (I'm sure you'll agree: That last part was so dramatic, and so suggestive of our own mortality, there was no choice but to italicize it.) The Internet's been around long enough now that all kinds of young peeps are benefiting from advice that already existed as 0's and 1's back when their moms were brushing their teeth and got a little Gleem in their eyes. (Okay, I've also been waiting to use that particular gag.)

When a stab or anything else on a keeb refuses to work, and it doesn't respond to lubing or any other technical method including invectives [abusive or venomous language used to express blame or censure or bitter, deep-seated ill will], I suggest one of these classic white rubber mallets:

It's softer than a hammer, so you can apply just as much force as you need to a difficult board without smashing it completely (although that always remains an option). And the white rubber prevents marks when applying it to lighter colorways.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 16:07:21 »
update... I pushed the expandy bits that push through the pcb up and out a bit.. and everything is working fine??...

Guessing the stabilizer wire is too long or somehow making contact with the plate or PCB.  Thick super lube works well on these...

I was going to suggest lube, which seemed somewhat obvious, but the OP hadn't mentioned trying it. (Also, being married, GH is the only place I get to suggest lube anymore.)

Anyway, glad you fixed it, sam0s. It's always good to have an account of a fixed problem here, too. If it happened to you, it can happen to other peeps. Who knows—it may happen to someone who hasn't even started typing yet, or someone who hasn't been born. (I'm sure you'll agree: That last part was so dramatic, and so suggestive of our own mortality, there was no choice but to italicize it.) The Internet's been around long enough now that all kinds of young peeps are benefiting from advice that already existed as 0's and 1's back when their moms were brushing their teeth and got a little Gleem in their eyes. (Okay, I've also been waiting to use that particular gag.)

When a stab or anything else on a keeb refuses to work, and it doesn't respond to lubing or any other technical method including invectives [abusive or venomous language used to express blame or censure or bitter, deep-seated ill will], I suggest one of these classic white rubber mallets:

Show Image

It's softer than a hammer, so you can apply just as much force as you need to a difficult board without smashing it completely (although that always remains an option). And the white rubber prevents marks when applying it to lighter colorways.

LOL. Stabs are annoying, but honestly, the other ones that were acting up, I straight up just pulled and prodded them with pliers until they work, let's just hope it's a permanent fix lmao.

And I don't have any lube right now.. so that wasn't really an option. Haha.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 16:14:06 »
Yeah, lube will ruin you.  I would actually suggest not trying it unless you plan to fix a lot.  Once I lubed a set of stabilizers and it was heavenly.  This ended up with me taking apart every board I had and lubing the stabilizers.  Luckily OEM boards like my pok3rs have plate mounted stabilizers to make this a bit easier. However, I have completely desoldered  an entire board just to lube the stabilizers.... it's that good.

If you ever get interested, I can personally recommend the super lube that comes in little plastic pouches.  I haven't tried other solutions, but this one works wonders for me.  It's thick and works wonders to smooth out stabilizers and reduce noise/rattle.

This stuff: https://mehkee.com/collections/accessories-parts/products/super-lube-1cc-packets?variant=38992246095

Offline netbike

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 14:12:51 »
there are a few possibilities causing this.

1/.  the stablizer wire touches the inside of the keycap.  you might need to file that area of the key cap a bit.

2/. the plastic stablizer part that installed on the plate hasn't completely seated.  If this is the case, you need to examine the plastic part and reinstall them to make sure they seat properly.  When it is not properly installed, both plastic parts (plate and keycap) will get a very tight contact which caused your problem.