Author Topic: [IC] GMK 9009, Classic Retro/Beige International Kit  (Read 23447 times)

Offline DreLLin

[IC] GMK 9009, Classic Retro/Beige International Kit
« on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 04:00:11 »
Update:

Group Buy for the GMK 9009, Classic Retro/Beige International Kit launched!

You can order the Kit at: https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/gmk-9009-international-kit-classic-retrobeige_341/

If you already ordered GMK9009 and/or the 40s kit you can email mykeyboard.eu to link both orders and request a refund of the shipping.

Since round 2 of GMK 9009 is around the corner and Originative stocked GMG Classic Retro, I want to see if there is enough interest in running an international kit for black legends on a beige color.

Lots of people in the GMK 9009 IC said that it won't hit moq since a lot of Cherry double shot OG sets should be available but after looking for weeks, I wasn't able to find one in good condition for a reasonable price.
I already bought a set of Classic Retro and am going to buy 2 sets of 9009, so I would myself take 3 international kits. I know that there were some others who also asked for it in the 9009 r2 IC so let's see if we can get this going.

I put up a Google form, so if you are interested, please fill out the form https://goo.gl/forms/EYHHUuPy7eFIqvjj1

For the IC I decided to include 2 Versions. One with a full kit like GMK Carbon and the other as a reduced kit like the one from Nautilus.

178079-0

178081-1

If there is enough interest we can fine tune those kits and I will get a quote from GMK.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 October 2017, 17:10:23 by DreLLin »

Offline LDobler

Re: [IC] GMK 9009, Classic Retro/Beige International Kit
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 04:02:45 »
I'd be down for the german keys

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 04:10:11 »
Full kit is missing the swedish 5 key (5 $ and euro symbol), it was lacking in Carbon and Yuri but should be fixed from now on

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 04:20:06 »
Full kit is missing the swedish 5 key (5 $ and euro symbol), it was lacking in Carbon and Yuri but should be fixed from now on

Thanks for the info. Will for sure add it to the full kit when we get enough interest.

Offline avid

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 06:01:03 »
I really like the reduced kit and would probably pick up a kit. The problem as i see it is this. Nautilus sold around 2500 base-kits and 100 international kits.

1. What will MOQ be? 100? more?
2. Do you have someone to buy up all the missing orders in order to reach MOQ?

Offline cocobrais

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 06:13:56 »
I really like the reduced kit and would probably pick up a kit. The problem as i see it is this. Nautilus sold around 2500 base-kits and 100 international kits.

1. What will MOQ be? 100? more?
2. Do you have someone to buy up all the missing orders in order to reach MOQ?
gmk moq for international kit is 100 and next 150

Offline avid

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 06:22:29 »
Ok! Being optimistic - lets say it reach 50 or so kits, would anyone be willing to buy $1500-2000 or so for the other 50?

The great thing about this set is that it will go with any beige kits.

Offline pomk

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 07:09:52 »
Everyone just needs to buy two sets and we are golden ;)

Offline kolruds

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 07:36:21 »
Ok! Being optimistic - lets say it reach 50 or so kits, would anyone be willing to buy $1500-2000 or so for the other 50?

With classic beige being such a common colorway, with all the old doubleshots around, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be willing to buy a few sets. Won't be able to do 50 sets, but I could maybe do 5-10, depending on price.

For me as a norwegian, the reduced set really has all I need, so it gets my vote, especially regarding price. The carbon set certainly does cover more languages, but at a cost.

Going by the last numbers posted by MD, Yuri sold 935 base kits, with 40 "big" intl kits at 57.99USD, and Nautilus sold 1899 base and 82 reduced intl kits at 37.99USD. That gives roughly one international kit per 23 base kits. I'm not exactly sure which classic beige type sets have been made, and how many has been sold, but we'd need 2300 base sets of some sort to break even with those numbers at 100 MOQ. That's a lot of sets!

I'm trying to stay as positive as possible here, I'm really pro intl kits, as a norwegian and ISO lover I really like it when my custom boards reflect my language. The reduced set doesn't cover ISO-NO 100%, but it has the most essential caps for it. I know the discussion for which caps should be in the kit has been up many times, so I'm not gonna start one now, but for me both works. Reduced gets me a long way, but the big set gets me everything I need, so it's a tradeoff either way.

On a positive note though, it seems people are willing to pay the extra 20 dollars for the big set compared to the reduced one, which is a good thing for compatibility for everyone.

Have you tried contacting any vendors with this? Maybe they'd be able to buy some to keep in stock for anyone wanting to convert their OG G80 board? I know I'd buy one if I ever came across a G80-2100, thats for sure!

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 08:22:45 »

With classic beige being such a common colorway, with all the old doubleshots around, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be willing to buy a few sets. Won't be able to do 50 sets, but I could maybe do 5-10, depending on price.

For me as a norwegian, the reduced set really has all I need, so it gets my vote, especially regarding price. The carbon set certainly does cover more languages, but at a cost.

Going by the last numbers posted by MD, Yuri sold 935 base kits, with 40 "big" intl kits at 57.99USD, and Nautilus sold 1899 base and 82 reduced intl kits at 37.99USD. That gives roughly one international kit per 23 base kits. I'm not exactly sure which classic beige type sets have been made, and how many has been sold, but we'd need 2300 base sets of some sort to break even with those numbers at 100 MOQ. That's a lot of sets!

I'm trying to stay as positive as possible here, I'm really pro intl kits, as a norwegian and ISO lover I really like it when my custom boards reflect my language. The reduced set doesn't cover ISO-NO 100%, but it has the most essential caps for it. I know the discussion for which caps should be in the kit has been up many times, so I'm not gonna start one now, but for me both works. Reduced gets me a long way, but the big set gets me everything I need, so it's a tradeoff either way.

On a positive note though, it seems people are willing to pay the extra 20 dollars for the big set compared to the reduced one, which is a good thing for compatibility for everyone.

Have you tried contacting any vendors with this? Maybe they'd be able to buy some to keep in stock for anyone wanting to convert their OG G80 board? I know I'd buy one if I ever came across a G80-2100, thats for sure!

Yes I am already in contact with candykeys and they want to get back to me regarding it.

We already have 17 people who filled out the form. For such a short timeframe it's not that bad I guess.
Since so many of you want 2 or even more sets, I should have added an option to state that in the form.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 06:33:53 »
I'd buy the international kit if it becomes reality.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 08:55:52 »
26 People for about 40 kits filled out the form until now. So to reach MOQ we still need at least 60 more kits.

Offline Norde

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 16 September 2017, 13:31:13 »
I need only two kits, but I would buy 2-4 full international kits. Maybe more. I want this to happen.

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 07:46:35 »
Until now only 30 people filled out the form for about 45-50 kits. So as it looks now the kit won't make it.  :'(

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 09:30:45 »
If you promote it enough I think there is a chance it could happen. FWIW it's the first time I'm seeing this thread, so lots of people may have missed this.

Better to run it and fail instead of never trying.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 09:31:18 »
If you promote it enough I think there is a chance it could happen. FWIW it's the first time I'm seeing this thread, so lots of people may have missed this.

Better to run it and fail instead of never trying.
Agree.

Offline Trousers

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 13:19:26 »
So, is this completely dead? I wonder if I should bother with the 9009.

Offline t8c

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 13:30:46 »
Needs more promotion

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 13:52:51 »
Will promote it on reddit again but I doubt that we’ll reach 100 kits.

Offline darthzero

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 04:55:32 »
Have you tried computerbase or other more local boards for your targeted market? :)
Imho you should decide on a kit, get the price from GMK and run the gb. If it ain't gonna make it we know for sure but at this state i think the interest check doesn't wield meaningful results.
The price is(at least to me) a pretty important factor in deciding which kit i want so at least i can't fill out your form even though i would be totally in ^^ and maybe that is the case for others too...
The longer you wait the worse it will get because there may be people that would want to buy 9009 but don't commit because of no int kit.

just my 2 cents, best of luck though

edit: damn ok i could have just based my decision on the md prices.. will fill out the survey now as it would make any difference :/
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 October 2017, 04:59:49 by darthzero »
Discord: kuno#0600 
Reddit: u/darthzero

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 07:36:11 »
We are at 70 kits now, so I will get a quote from GMK and try to get this into GB phase as soon as possible.  ;D

Since 78% of the votes are for the "Complete Kit" it will definitely be the large kit. If there is anything wrong or missing in this kit, please let me know.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 08:02:02 »
We are at 70 kits now, so I will get a quote from GMK and try to get this into GB phase as soon as possible.  ;D

Since 78% of the votes are for the "Complete Kit" it will definitely be the large kit. If there is anything wrong or missing in this kit, please let me know.

Wow! I'd be so happy if this international kit comes through!

Offline t8c

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 08:22:33 »
Look like it is working :)

Offline dr-slump

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 11:28:54 »
@ DreLLin:

Thanks for organizing this IC!

Viel Spaß mit dem M-65  ;D

Grüße  :thumb:
Waiting for GMK Miami Dolch ISO . . .

Looking for: Titainium Spacebar 6.25

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 12:14:48 »

Thanks for the info. Will for sure add it to the full kit when we get enough interest.

Hope this is still on your radar

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 14:38:48 »

Just looked up the swedish layout and it should be 5, % and € on that key?

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 15:12:20 »

True, but the € character is also available on the E key which is according to the Swedish layout and included in the this kit. Hence I feel the 5 key with € character is not worth the extra cost. Just my two cents.

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 15:30:17 »

Oh if it's also on the E key I think we can skip the extra 5 key.

True, but the € character is also available on the E key which is according to the Swedish layout and included in the this kit. Hence I feel the 5 key with € character is not worth the extra cost. Just my two cents.

Offline Trousers

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 16:23:51 »

But surely there is no sense in having $ on the 5 key, if it's already on the 4. Regardless of where the € is.

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 16:37:58 »
Also got a reply from mykeyboard.eu and they will run the GB along with 9009 so this should reduce shipping costs a bit. Hopefully GMK won't take that long to send me the quote.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 16:54:45 »

But surely there is no sense in having $ on the 5 key, if it's already on the 4. Regardless of where the € is.

I don't follow.. The $ is not on the 5 key according to Swedish layout. Can't say for other layouts on the other hand.

$ is on the 4 key along with ¤.

Offline sysfury

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 01:57:42 »
The Swedish layout does not have $ on the 5 key.

The Swedish layout has % on the 5 key (and € on the AltGr level).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e0/KB_Sweden.svg/2000px-KB_Sweden.svg.png

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 04:13:33 »

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e0/KB_Sweden.svg/2000px-KB_Sweden.svg.png

That’s what I saw yesterday. Looks like the Swedish layout has two € one on E and one on the 5. On the 5 it’s with % and € but since we have a 5 with % which is only missing the € we won’t take another key to the  kit just for the €. I hope that’s ok for our friends from Sweden. :)

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 04:23:21 »

That’s what I saw yesterday. Looks like the Swedish layout has two € one on E and one on the 5. On the 5 it’s with % and € but since we have a 5 with % which is only missing the € we won’t take another key to the  kit just for the €. I hope that’s ok for our friends from Sweden. :)
Exactly my point a few posts back. I am totally fine with that. Never really understood why the Swedish layout has two € keys...

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 04:46:09 »

Sorry I remembered incorrectly. I did it correct on my SA kit though

Offline Felion

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 06:22:17 »
Im in for a few sets :)
FC660c|RF88UB|HHKB pro2 type-s|GH60 Satans|Model M|Novatouch Alu-Chassi, "type -s"|Whitefox|RSII|V60|Plum84|RC930-87|Ducky3|Minivan|Planck|GH60revC|Pok3r|MF68|Ducky Mini|and more|Likör47 - GeekHack KotM March 2017

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 03:03:28 »
Just got the quote from GMK. For a MOQ of 150 the price will be about 40€ + shipping. Since a MOQ of 150 is unrealistic we are now trying to push it down to 100 kits without increasing the price too much.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 03:05:33 »
Just got the quote from GMK. For a MOQ of 150 the price will be about 40€ + shipping. Since a MOQ of 150 is unrealistic we are now trying to push it down to 100 kits without increasing the price too much.

That's a pretty reasonable price, but I agree about the MOQ.

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 06:48:40 »
With the base kit now over 250 there must be an interest for this kit? Or am I wrong?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 11:26:10 »
With the base kit now over 250 there must be an interest for this kit? Or am I wrong?

I'd say you're right.

It will fall flat on it's face if it doesn't launch when 9009 R2 is open.

Offline avid

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 11:34:27 »

International kits has historically been like 2-4% or so of base-kits. +2000 nautilus and only 100 int. yuri (950?) and 40ish int.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 October 2017, 12:12:15 by avid »

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 16:12:48 »
There are only 37 GMK 9009 Base Kits sold in Europe at the moment.

Sure there will be some people who got Classic Retro from Originative or 9009 from round 1 but I think It's still impossible to reach 150 kits.
I am now waiting for a reply from GMK for a price at a lower MOQ of 100 kits.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 17:22:39 »

International kits has historically been like 2-4% or so of base-kits. +2000 nautilus and only 100 int. yuri (950?) and 40ish int.

Nautilus is the first international kit I've seen tip. I think Yuri's may have as well, but only because MD ordered extras.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline avid

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 17:27:07 »

Nautilus is the first international kit I've seen tip. I think Yuri's may have as well, but only because MD ordered extras.

Yep. I also think that the compromized kit helped alot. Most people only use 4-5 keys from int. kit so paying $60 for that is kinda outrageous. $40 not so much.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 01:07:01 »

International kit for GMK Carbon also tipped. GB was via Massdrop though. Dunno if that helped it.

$60 is a lot for a few keys but I personally do not mind for such a classic colour scheme. I'd buy it anyway.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 October 2017, 01:09:41 by ctrlX »

Offline pomk

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 03:32:17 »

Plum international was produced as well.

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 16:03:35 »
I had the chance to talk to Christoph Kredler from GMK yesterday at Mechanicon 2017 (German meetup in Frankfurt).
I told him that it's unlikely to get 150 kits sold and he assured me that he'll send me a new quote for a MOQ of 100 kits next week.
Even if we won't reach 100 kits they will help us and will be happy to produce it. So hopefully we will have the GB on mykeyboard.eu up in a few days.

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 01:38:12 »
I had the chance to talk to Christoph Kredler from GMK yesterday at Mechanicon 2017 (German meetup in Frankfurt).
I told him that it's unlikely to get 150 kits sold and he assured me that he'll send me a new quote for a MOQ of 100 kits next week.
Even if we won't reach 100 kits they will help us and will be happy to produce it. So hopefully we will have the GB on mykeyboard.eu up in a few days.

Good news! Looking forward to it.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 03:35:09 »
Sweet!  :D :D

« Last Edit: Mon, 16 October 2017, 10:51:01 by ctrlX »

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 10:28:51 »
Ok, got the new quote from GMK and we should be able to stay close to 45€ + shipping for a MOQ of 100!!!  :D

I have forwarded all the details to Mykeyboard.eu and they will hopefully be able to launch the GB tomorrow. By the way we both agreed about doing it for the community without taking any profit.  ;)