Author Topic: Rec me a game to show off my PC (to myself).  (Read 3922 times)

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
Rec me a game to show off my PC (to myself).
« on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 10:37:02 »
I built a PC back in may (first time ever) and apart from some indie games I've just played Doom (the new one), Resi VII and Zelda BOTW (on CEMU). They all look lovely but I'm wondering what I can throw at it that is gonna be like woah. It also needs to be good.  I know the Witcher 3 is always used in benchmark tests but it doesn't really look like my cup o tea.  I'm only interested in single player games. No RTS stuff. Arcade stuff is cool. FPS is cool. SHMUPS r kool. I probably need a driving game. I dunno... thinking I might get Destiny 2 when it's out on PC, just for the campaign (never played the original but I loved Halo back in the day), but worried I'd be missing the point of it without multiplayer. Same with SW Battlefront 2.

Anyway, my specs:
Ryzen 1700
GTX 1080
16gb 3200 ddr4 RAM
Ultrawide QHD 75hz monitor

EDIT: Should prolly mention I haven't been a PC gamer since Amiga days.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 September 2017, 11:13:58 by futurecrime »

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: Rec me a game to show off my PC (to myself).
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 10:38:05 »
crysis

wait

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 10:57:14 »
I've been playing Star Wars Battlefront recently (since it's $5 on Origin) and I swear, the photorealism they managed in the Frostbite3 engine is just crazy. On Tatooine maps, I can look at an open vista and I swear it's almost like looking at a photograph of an Arizona desert. The co-op/PVE stuff is fun too, worth the $5 without a doubt. Grab one buddy and have a good evening with it.

Bioshock Infinite is very pretty, and because the Unreal Engine 3 is so scalable, you will be easily able to max it out and see just what it looks like on full blast. Plus, the game is solid fun all the way through.

GTAV is incredible. What Rockstar achieved in building a deeply detailed, yet very stable world is so impressive and I run it at medium settings on a 4 year old GTX 780. Get in an airplane and see some of the vistas. It can be breathtaking.

Alien: Isolation is a joy to behold with its lighting, dust, grit, just some fantastic environments that you'll promptly be terrified by.

If you want to put in the elbow-grease of installing and arranging mods, Skyrim has a bevy of high-definition models and textures, shaders and effects that crank the visuals to total absurdity and will tax your rig.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 11:10:59 »
I've been playing Star Wars Battlefront recently (since it's $5 on Origin) and I swear, the photorealism they managed in the Frostbite3 engine is just crazy. On Tatooine maps, I can look at an open vista and I swear it's almost like looking at a photograph of an Arizona desert. The co-op/PVE stuff is fun too, worth the $5 without a doubt. Grab one buddy and have a good evening with it.

Bioshock Infinite is very pretty, and because the Unreal Engine 3 is so scalable, you will be easily able to max it out and see just what it looks like on full blast. Plus, the game is solid fun all the way through.

GTAV is incredible. What Rockstar achieved in building a deeply detailed, yet very stable world is so impressive and I run it at medium settings on a 4 year old GTX 780. Get in an airplane and see some of the vistas. It can be breathtaking.

Alien: Isolation is a joy to behold with its lighting, dust, grit, just some fantastic environments that you'll promptly be terrified by.

If you want to put in the elbow-grease of installing and arranging mods, Skyrim has a bevy of high-definition models and textures, shaders and effects that crank the visuals to total absurdity and will tax your rig.

Thanks for the recs.

I actually have Alien: Isolation but I dropped it after one night of playing. Should probably pick it up again sometime.

I played through GTAV on a borrowed PS3 and nearly buy it for PC everytime I see it on sale. Will probably get it soon...

Skyrim looks a bit too big for me to take on really, especially with the added work to mod it. And I'm not sure I wanna play another Bioshock game right now.

Nice tip on SW Battlefront though. I'll prolly pick that up, cheers!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 11:47:50 »
Witcher 3 on max settings is pretty, and pretty demanding. Prey is good looking as well.

Resident Evil 7 has some amazing textures.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 23:54:33 »
Dishonored 2 is stunning in its design, which I consider an important element of a game's graphics. Some of my screens at 21:9, using only medium settings with TXAA, HBAO+, and a touch of sharpening via ReShade.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 00:44:19 »
Skyrim with ENB and some 4k texture mods. Nothing like a 6yr old game that can still bring the latest hardware to its knees.  :thumb:
-Dana

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 08:21:50 »
dark souls?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 09:12:12 »
did you get any xtra female attention after upgrading your pc ?

they come to your room, and be look,  OMG,  he's got 8 corez.   gtx 1080 , wha.....

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 22:15:53 »

they come to your room, and be look,  OMG,  he's got 8 corez.   gtx 1080 , wha.....

Jealousy doesn't suit you very well

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 07:04:03 »
Witcher 3 on max settings is pretty, and pretty demanding. Prey is good looking as well.

Resident Evil 7 has some amazing textures.

Yeah RE7 is pretty good looking. I'll probably end up getting Witcher 3 at some point if I see it dead cheap, but I don't have the time or inclination to explore something that big... Would like to sightsee a bit though.

Dishonored 2 is stunning in its design, which I consider an important element of a game's graphics. Some of my screens at 21:9, using only medium settings with TXAA, HBAO+, and a touch of sharpening via ReShade.

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Didn't know anything about this game but I just watched the trailer and it looks pretty good, and very pretty. 21:9 support is a real bonus as well. Cheers for the tip.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 07:07:37 »
Starcraft Remastered..

oh man.. graphics are so reall !!!!

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 07:08:29 »
Skyrim with ENB and some 4k texture mods. Nothing like a 6yr old game that can still bring the latest hardware to its knees.  :thumb:

I'm gonna look into this but like with The Witcher 3 I'm not sure it's my cup of tea. I'd like to just have a walk around for an evening or two, but cba with all the levelling up n stuff. Not enough hours in the day...

dark souls?

I looked last night and realised I have Dark Souls 2 from a humble bundle thing. I've installed it now so I might give it a whirl tonight.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 07:16:26 »

Well my partner doesn't like it because she thinks it looks ugly in the room (it's actually quite a tasteful PC in my opinion). My 3yo daughter likes it, and likes my keyboards, but she's not allowed near any of it except under strict supervision. Pretty sure she just likes it because there's some lights on it.

No other females ever come to my house, however I have shown pictures of it to girls and they do say wow, but again, pretty sure it's the lights, not the specs.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 07:22:27 »
Plus it looks like a futuristic nightclub

« Last Edit: Fri, 22 September 2017, 07:31:49 by futurecrime »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 07:33:22 »

Well my partner doesn't like it because she thinks it looks ugly in the room (it's actually quite a tasteful PC in my opinion). My 3yo daughter likes it, and likes my keyboards, but she's not allowed near any of it except under strict supervision. Pretty sure she just likes it because there's some lights on it.

No other females ever come to my house, however I have shown pictures of it to girls and they do say wow, but again, pretty sure it's the lights, not the specs.

Hahahahaha..

Does ur partner know ur showing off ur pc too all them outside females ??

Hahahahha

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 07:44:24 »

Hahahahaha..

Does ur partner know ur showing off ur pc too all them outside females ??

Hahahahha

It's fine. We have an open relationship when it comes to showing pictures of computers.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 09:21:57 »
Minesweeper

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 11:21:54 »
Minesweeper

I'd be into a QHD Ultrawide version of minesweeper actually.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 17:40:41 »
crysis

wait

Came for Crysis. Wasn't disappointed.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 22:07:39 »
Didn't know anything about this game but I just watched the trailer and it looks pretty good, and very pretty. 21:9 support is a real bonus as well. Cheers for the tip.

Nice thing about the game structure is it's divided into missions (so essentially chapter-based), so it's great in chunks and each mission can be replayed. I completed it stealthily for the first playthrough since I prefer that style but I know many go full lethal initially (which I then tried on my second playthrough to see the changes to the world and how the stories progress).

« Last Edit: Fri, 22 September 2017, 22:11:02 by Coreda »

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 16:22:30 »
No love for Planetside 2?

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 16:25:44 »
Modded Skyrim. I can never get that **** to run the way I want.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards