Author Topic: Are Matias Quiet Click and Clicky the same switch?  (Read 4940 times)

Offline directheatedtriode

Are Matias Quiet Click and Clicky the same switch?
« on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 10:02:15 »
I did several searches and couldn't a clear answer. Is their clicky switch the same as the Quiet Click except with a rubber damper along the slider? If the damper is removed is it a full on clicky switch?

Offline Myoth

Re: Are Matias Quiet Click and Clicky the same switch?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 10:03:54 »
Quiet Clicks are the dampened tactile variant

Clicky are ... well ... clicky ;D

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 10:20:51 »
quiet click has these little rubber things that fit on the side of the stem to dampen the bottom out but they still kinda click
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 October 2017, 11:35:07 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 10:31:57 »
In the wacky world of Matias, "Tactile" means clicky, and "Quiet Click" means tactile.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 10:46:00 »
The thing about alps is, you cannot compare them apples to apples to cherry switches. Both the tactile and quiet click variants have a click leaf. However, the quiet click variant has tabs which prevent the leaf from slamming full force into the slider, so it is quieter, but still technically makes a sound. Because mathias seems to ignore cherry even exists, they seem to completely disregard standards for the meanings of tactile and clicky :P The tactile variant as the full clicky click leaf, while the quiet click variant uses the click leaf with the silencing tabs, making it a 'tactile' leaf. Also, the quiet click variant has rubber bumpers on the slider silencing the bottoming out noise as well.

Even their microswitches do this, with their tactile variants making an audible click noise.

« Last Edit: Sat, 21 October 2017, 10:52:09 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 11:33:27 »
AFAIK, "Matias Quiet Click" used to be called "Matias Quiet" but it was changed for some reason ... (or maybe I got that wrong ?)
Either way, it is often referred to as "Matias Quiet" within the community, not as the full name.

Glossary of actual keyboard terms:
Clicky: Feedback in the switch sound when the switch actuates in the form of an audible click.
Tactile: Feedback in the switch that you can feel when the switch actuates.
Dampened: The switch has some soft material in it to make it make less of a "clack" when it bottoms out and tops up.

"Matias Quiet Click" is tactile and dampened .. but not clicky.
"Matias Click" is tactile and clicky ... but not dampened.

You could take the "click leaf" from the "Matias Click" and the slider with rubber bumpers from the "Matias Quiet Click" and combine them to make a switch that is tactile, clicky and dampened -- thus making most of its noise when it actuates.
(You could make the similar mod by combining parts from the older Alps Cream and an Alps White.)

BTW. The leaf spring in the tactile, non-clicky Alps switches, Matias switches and in other clones of the Alps is often called a "tactile leaf" as opposed to "click leaf".
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 October 2017, 11:35:31 by Findecanor »

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 12:09:03 »
 I wasn't sure if it had an entirely different leaf like Alps or if the rubber dampener served to quiet the bottom out and click, but the leaf was the same.

Second question is it easy to replace the rubber dampener once it has been removed? From what it looks like there is a "bump" on either end to keep it from sliding out of the slider easily.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 October 2017, 12:11:30 by directheatedtriode »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 12:28:57 »
I wasn't sure if it had an entirely different leaf like Alps or if the rubber dampener served to quiet the bottom out and click, but the leaf was the same.

Second question is it easy to replace the rubber dampener once it has been removed? From what it looks like there is a "bump" on either end to keep it from sliding out of the slider easily.

yeah super easy.

when we had the toronto meet up with matias the year they came out with the quiet click and the click they showed us how to disassemble the switch and said that if you took off the rubber dampener it would essentially be the same thing. so both of them technically click.

however i have some older quiet clicks switches and some newer quiet clicks, and the older ones definitely have a feint click but the new ones don't and seem quieter.. so maybe something changed, not sure.
I love Elzy

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 13:23:16 »
Pictures of dampeners in the Matias quiet click slider (gray, not in case) VS Matias clicky slider

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 13:33:35 »
One of the more notable differences is that the tactile switch is lubed, the clicky one isn't.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 13:39:12 »
One of the more notable differences is that the tactile switch is lubed, the clicky one isn't.
I always assumed they did this to keep the sound of the tactile leaf to a minimum.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 16:01:51 »
Neat!  And good to know. 

Aside from the sound difference then, would there be a really big difference in feel? (besides bottoming out of course)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 16:42:01 »
I always assumed they did this to keep the sound of the tactile leaf to a minimum.
Yes, that certainly plays a role, and the converse is also true for clicky switches of course. Their linears are also lubed.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 17:11:33 »
Neat!  And good to know. 

Aside from the sound difference then, would there be a really big difference in feel? (besides bottoming out of course)

Based on my recent production Mini Tactile Pro, the clicky switch doesn't have a loud click, but it does have a sort of scruffy or crunchy tactile feeling.  It's not the most luxurious feeling, but I found that I could type fast and with great confidence on it.  I sometimes suspect that, much like fast food, what we like in a switch isn't always what's best for us!

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 21:38:35 »
I took both switches apart before and they are similar BUT there are 2 differences.

1.  First difference as people mentioned the slider has rubber damper on the quiet version and no rubber damper on clicky version.

2.  Second difference is the metal tactile leaf is actually different, the quiet version has those 2 "arms" that lock the base in place so it provide constant resistance (tactility).  The clicky version does not have those arms so once you compress it to a point it will pop and bounce and hit the side wall to make that clicky noise (similar to MX Blue where it will "pop" after a point).

180665-0

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline jnav

• Endgame is for quitters.
    • Macclack
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 21:50:26 »
I wish Matias would produce a non-dampened tactile switch. While I’ve taken one apart to remove the rubber dampeners I don’t have an easy way of putting the switch back together. Alps are way easier. Has anyone found a good way to reassemble them?

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 11:07:09 »
I wish Matias would produce a non-dampened tactile switch. While I’ve taken one apart to remove the rubber dampeners I don’t have an easy way of putting the switch back together. Alps are way easier. Has anyone found a good way to reassemble them?

What is the hard part? I have to admit I found it a pain in the ass to put together Alps switches since you have that balancing act of making sure the spring is vertical while placing the slider on. That little nub at the bottom of the switch the spring sites around is tiny.

Offline jnav

• Endgame is for quitters.
    • Macclack
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 11:31:23 »
I should have clarified: Matias switches are harder to put back together once they're mounted on a PCB. The side walls don't go up all the way like the old Alps switches do so it's harder to guide everything back into place. I just realized that if they're loose and not mounted then it's WAY easier. That just inspired me... I have a big back of quiet click switches that I'm going to convert into just "tactile" switches for my next keyboard project. I could probably get through 60-70 of these in less than a couple of hours.

180737-0180737-1

Offline supamesican

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 12:35:56 »
Yup, just a little lubed with a rubber dampener. It still feels pretty much identical. Works the same save for the dampener. Best tactile quiet switches I'd say. slightly above topre.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 01:34:00 »
Yup, just a little lubed with a rubber dampener. It still feels pretty much identical. Works the same save for the dampener. Best tactile quiet switches I'd say. slightly above topre.
You must share them now. :D  That sounds like a great feeling switch!

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 13:16:26 »
I took both switches apart before and they are similar BUT there are 2 differences.

1.  First difference as people mentioned the slider has rubber damper on the quiet version and no rubber damper on clicky version.

2.  Second difference is the metal tactile leaf is actually different, the quiet version has those 2 "arms" that lock the base in place so it provide constant resistance (tactility).  The clicky version does not have those arms so once you compress it to a point it will pop and bounce and hit the side wall to make that clicky noise (similar to MX Blue where it will "pop" after a point).

(Attachment Link)

I ordered a batch of quiet click and tactile click switches. I will open them both up and post comparisons of the leaf. I know it's an old thread, but you're never too old to learn, right ;)

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 09:37:05 »
Here is a comparison of the leaf contained in the switches.

Matias Quiet Click switches used to have White (instead of grey) stems WITH damping, and they were not lubed. I think the propagation of dampened white stems in the Quiet Click variant caused a lot of confusion early on - perhaps posts like this were spawned because of it.