Author Topic: Do you like front face legends on keycaps?  (Read 4567 times)

Offline e11i0t23

Do you like front face legends on keycaps?
« on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 05:38:00 »
Do you like front face legands on keycaps? http://www.strawpoll.me/14528943

Offline divito

Re: Do you like front face legends on keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 18:41:51 »
Would have preferred a third option, as it's not necessarily yes, or no. My preferences in order would be blank, front legends, then normal legends.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 04:36:05 »
Main legends (1), or just the symbols/functions that are available with the Alt Gr or Fn key (2)?
I would answer No for (1), Yes for (2).

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 23:52:52 »
Side printing just looks so clean and is good for people who only occasionally check and peek the keys, I'm waiting for my set right now!

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 11:24:58 »
Side printing just looks so clean and is good for people who only occasionally check and peek the keys, I'm waiting for my set right now!

I completely agree with this, it's sort of a best of both worlds.

Where it doesn't rub off the legends and at the same time looks clean and elegant and also if you need to peek once in a while it's still there.

I can touch type 95% of the time but once in a while I might need to check those rarely used symbols.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 13:12:49 »

I completely agree with this, it's sort of a best of both worlds.

Where it doesn't rub off the legends and at the same time looks clean and elegant and also if you need to peek once in a while it's still there.

I can touch type 95% of the time but once in a while I might need to check those rarely used symbols.

me too, I love my board even more after receiving my Side-printed Cherry Profile set, I got it for the exact reasons you stated!

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 13:15:52 »
top print or blanks, thanks
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 23:52:49 »
For media keys or tertiary legends, perhaps, but not generally.

This RealForce TKL I'm using now has numpad legends on the front of some of the alpha keys, similar to SSK.  I'm not really aware of them unless I tilt the keyboard into the light and specifically look at them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 16:29:30 »
I guess I'm in the minority here for thinking that side-printing looks silly and is completely pointless.  The whole 'it won't rub off' issue is simply not an issue if you have decent quality keycaps.  Doubleshots obviously don't wear off but even on my 30 year old keyboards I have yet to see dye sublimed legends wear off either.  Cheap pad printing will obviously wear off but I would hope that nobody at an enthusiast site like this is advocating for cheap pad printing in the first place...

So the only real feature is looks which is obviously subjective.  I completely touch type and never look at my keyboard while typing yet I still like having the legends on top and completely visible.  That's just what a keyboard is supposed to look like, damn it.  Similarly I don't have any interest in blank keycaps either.  I like the classic keyboard look.