Author Topic: IBM Model M SSK Boltmod issue, need advice.  (Read 1944 times)

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
IBM Model M SSK Boltmod issue, need advice.
« on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 05:57:21 »
I did a boltmod on one of the SSK I have. Everything went fine but after putting things back together there are two places where the keys now are too close. switching around the key bases made little difference, but I want to know if this is a common issue that the tolerances were that far off? Do I just need to swap them around till I find a combination that works or did I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: IBM Model M SSK Boltmod issue, need advice.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 08:08:52 »
Bolt modding does nothing to the layout of the barrel plate, just snugs it down better to the backplate.  Your keys should be exactly where they were.

Which keys and how bad?
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 09:22:09 »
"Too close" to what?

If the internal assembly is shifted off-center a bit, perimeter keys can rub against the case opening. The internal assembly can be jiggled a bit as you put them back into the case.

And if key caps are rubbing against each other, the bottom edges of the skirts can be lightly sanded.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 09:19:43 »
There are keys that touch each other. The M/N is the worst as often pressing one presses moth keys down, that's how bad it is.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 09:28:34 »
There's no instance where that should happen.  Have you tightened down the bolts unevenly, causing the barrel plate to warp?  Make back off a bolt or two and watch how the keys move?

Beyond that, fohat's idea to trim the bottoms slightly is the simplest approach.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 10:22:56 »
Two things, I think there are some lax tolerances there. The big problem was the metal plate had a slight bow. It wasn't visible and unless you put it on a table arc up and look closely at the edges you would never know. It was just slightly enough to make that difference. Between straightening the bow and swapping keys then getting a different M cap things seem to be just fine.