Author Topic: Lot of 11 Model M 1393464 Keyboards  (Read 2848 times)

Offline JP

Lot of 11 Model M 1393464 Keyboards
« on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 13:20:31 »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-11-IBM-Model-M-1393464-Keyboards-1988-1989-Parts-or-Repair-G3/312027409662?hash=item48a6486cfe:g:lKUAAOSwy~BaOBH1

Anyone looking to bulk up? Listing says "More than 10 available"  :eek: This rare keyboard became less rare all of a sudden.

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 December 2017, 13:23:37 by JP »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ekeppel

Re: Lot of 11 Model M 1393464 Keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 13:28:51 »
Yeah, saw this come up but the discrepancies in the description gave me pause.   

The boards are listed as for parts / not working, so there is no recourse if they turn out to have problems.  It looks from the picture that these are all boards with issues printed on them with a label maker, which is something I've seen before from IT departments.  So even though the description shows R3 as being a fully working item, the photo and the type of listing would say otherwise.  I would really expect to pay more like $30 each in this kind of quantity, so the price seems quite high to me for something with no guarantees or even decent photos to back it up. :-(

Edit: Forgot to mention that I also question what a buyer would receive based on how the seller listed the dates of the keyboards.  I highly doubt that he 'has more than 10' lots of 11 keyboards each with the dates that he lists, so something is wrong there.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 December 2017, 13:31:59 by ekeppel »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 23:39:36 »
I checked out their other listings and it seems like they're just a little bit sloppy with the details because they have so many products for sale.  They have 2 other keyboards and this lot is the 3rd most expensive they have period, so I'm almost sure it's priced wrong.

But even in a parts or not working state, they still give a 30 day return policy so that's some assurance.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 23:40:17 »
Oh, and they do have some pretty decent deals like this managed 48-port gigabit switch for just $30:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Powerconnect-3248-48-Port-Managed-Switch-Rackmount-G2/312011680721?hash=item48a5586bd1:g:bugAAOSwqSVZuBgE

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 16:55:43 »
So even though the description shows R3 as being a fully working item, the photo and the type of listing would say otherwise...

Yeah, I noticed that discrepancy. But I really doubt they're trying to deceive anyone. Over 10,000 sales and a 100% approval rating? Those are more than honest peeps—they're the kind who bend over backwards to make buyers happy. There's no other way to accomplish something like that. Not to mention their eBay "store" where they're selling a ton of other stuff.

So all signs indicate they're completely legit, and just didn't realize the description they typed in for this listing contradicted the terms template they pasted in. You see such oversights often enough. And all it takes is a question to the seller to clarify it, and to get it on eBay's record if there's still any misunderstanding.

Forgot to mention that I also question what a buyer would receive based on how the seller listed the dates of the keyboards.  I highly doubt that he 'has more than 10' lots of 11 keyboards each with the dates that he lists, so something is wrong there.

Especially as they went to the trouble to state how many of the lot were made in which years. So clearly it's just one lot of 10, and I'm guessing they saw the "quantity" box in eBay's listing tool and figured, "Okay, it's 10 of them."

BTW, they've lowered the price to $599 + free US shipping, which comes out to $54.45 per board. If it drops below $50, I'll be good for a couple in a GB.  ;?)

Oh, and they do have some pretty decent deals like this managed 48-port gigabit switch for just $30:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Powerconnect-3248-48-Port-Managed-Switch-Rackmount-G2/312011680721?hash=item48a5586bd1:g:bugAAOSwqSVZuBgE

[Being impressed that Samir is the kind of guy who could possibly use a 48-port switch]
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 17:02:34 »
It looks from the picture that these are all boards with issues printed on them with a label maker, which is something I've seen before from IT departments...

Zoomed in, the best I can make out is "B.N.R. Ctrl A" on the one... Familiar acronym?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline orihalcon

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 21:39:28 »
"B.N.R. Ctrl A" - also appears to say alt and space after that.  These are likely the keys that do not function. Note, no duplicates

Pretty sure it says R-CTRL and R-ALT rather than periods in between which further supports my theory as you'd want to know if it was the right or the left alt that didn't work for example