Author Topic: Geekhack PM's  (Read 4093 times)

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
Geekhack PM's
« on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:17:45 »
Why is this system so bad, is there a different plug-in that could be added to the forum?

Offline joey

Re: Geekhack PM's
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:22:18 »
It's pretty terrible.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:28:32 »
What bothers me the most is forgetting to check "send a copy to my inbox", then lets say you get a message a couple days later and don't have/forget the context. Why isn't that a default setting? Why is it even an option?

Offline joey

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:29:10 »
What bothers me the most is forgetting to check "send a copy to my inbox", then lets say you get a message a couple days later and don't have/forget the context. Why isn't that a default setting? Why is it even an option?
There is an option to have that on by default, find it in the settings.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:30:46 »
i somehow kept replying to myself... lol i dunno the whole thing just seems so 1997

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:33:31 »
There is an option to have that on by default, find it in the settings.

Thanks, fixed. Still kinda weird that that's the default/

i somehow kept replying to myself... lol i dunno the whole thing just seems so 1997

I'd done that a lot too. Have to hit the "reply" over their last message, rather than it being just a reply to the current chain

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:36:25 »
Not to mention the super-secret Gekhak mailing list..

Where presumably all the females congregate to..

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:38:46 »

Ah yes. You're obviously missing out.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:41:26 »

Ah yes. You're obviously missing out.

Tp4 request getz 1x invite ?

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:43:43 »

I would like to say that's part of this forum's charm, but... yeah the messaging system has a lot to be desire. To be more specific, the grouping and organization of messages is (for me) the weak point.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:52:19 »

I would like to say that's part of this forum's charm, but... yeah the messaging system has a lot to be desire. To be more specific, the grouping and organization of messages is (for me) the weak point.

i do like the vBulletin charm... but yeah the grouping and organization are a little less than user friendly

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 19:24:31 »

i do like the vBulletin charm... but yeah the grouping and organization are a little less than user friendly

That's the vinyl argument..

It sounds ****ty..  Yea, we know..  dat Smooooth sound... oh yea... compressed dynamic range... ooof.. sing to me bb..

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 19:35:39 »
Having become accustomed to the GH way of messaging, I find Reddit’s messaging system near unusable. It’s hard to differentiate between comment replies and personal messages!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Coreda

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 19:37:18 »

*Simple Machines.

At one point I just went through my PMs and labeled them all in the appropriate custom categories. Now it's easier to organize. Not even the modern forum software Discorse nor Xenforo in their defaults have any categorization for PMs fwiw (there might be plugins for that, not sure).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 19:48:41 »

*Simple Machines.

At one point I just went through my PMs and labeled them all in the appropriate custom categories. Now it's easier to organize. Not even the modern forum software Discorse nor Xenforo in their defaults have any categorization for PMs fwiw (there might be plugins for that, not sure).

How many PMs in the Females, section

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 19:53:33 »

If you check it for one message, it should stay checked for all subsequent messages, at least until you manually uncheck it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 20:16:17 »

If you check it for one message, it should stay checked for all subsequent messages, at least until you manually uncheck it.

I'm curious why anyone wouldn't want a copy of their message history?

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 20:25:14 »
Maybe there's a way... but I'd like to mask off/hide threads so they would never again show up in "unread."
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 07:21:51 »
The PM-system is Baller! Without it daily woof would never exist (still ded).
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 19:55:11 »

I keep copies of all mine.

But then I also have an email archive going back to early 2004, so I'm probably not the best person to ask :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 20:10:04 »

But then I also have an email archive going back to early 2004, so I'm probably not the best person to ask :p

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thats right about the time I got my first email:P it was 03/04, admittedly, because of myspace :)) a hotmail account!

I've been on gmail for years though, my dad as well. Its shameful to see his unreads, I think its over 50K at this point

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 19:54:19 »

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thats right about the time I got my first email:P it was 03/04, admittedly, because of myspace :)) a hotmail account!

I've been on gmail for years though, my dad as well. Its shameful to see his unreads, I think its over 50K at this point

My emails start then as that was the time we switched from a proprietary Microsfot solution to a very early version of Thunderbird.  It proved almost impossible to get the emails out of the proprietary binary Microsfot files, so we all just started anew.  Mind you there were nowhere near as many emails flying around every day then as there are now.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 22:34:06 »
Having become accustomed to the GH way of messaging, I find Reddit’s messaging system near unusable. It’s hard to differentiate between comment replies and personal messages!

Couldn't agree more. You can't find a damn thing in reddit PMs

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 23:27:20 »
There are so many awesome BBCode plugins I wish were implemented