Author Topic: how do you tent your ergo?  (Read 9061 times)

Offline RockPaperRifle

how do you tent your ergo?
« on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 22:15:43 »
I have 2 ergo keyboards that i need to find tenting for.
1 is the mistel barocco the other is the zen keyboard from rgbkb. Neither have native tenting support.
Have you found a clever way to add tenting to your keyboard? 

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: how do you tent your ergo?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 01:49:51 »
You can make something like kurplop's ErgoDock and then tent it any way you like it, you can even embed tripod mounts in the dock/tray.

A way less involved option is to simply cut, say, closed-cell foam wedges and lean the keyboard halves against them.

Another way to tent a keyboard that I've seen is Kinesis V3 lift kit for Kinesis Freestyle, modified with some extra grips for other keyboards.

edit: You can also build a support construction from something like lego bricks.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 March 2018, 07:11:06 by davkol »

Offline MatchstickMan

• CAD Jockey - YOLO Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 10:00:23 »
This is what I'm using for my ergodox. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1QABSQ

I have them set up on a desk mat, but they're very stout and stand up to hours of gaming, typing, etc., they're adjustable, and have the added bonus of allowing for a very high tent.
Current Projects:
- SouthPad -- Left-handed Numpad
- Full Split (Currently on hold)

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 10:09:36 »
go hard or go home

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 20:30:17 »
go hard or go home

Show Image

This is the best method for ergodox.

What I use is a Silver (softsteel) 50mm for the most inner screwhole,  then the coupler and then a 100mm black high tensile bolt.

The reason you want the soft steel uptop is so you can BEND it so it is vertical to the table, thus giving you completely clear space between the doxes..

The reason you want high tensile 100mm bolt for the lower portion, is because it's more rigid and won't bend.

I also have 2 more 100mm per side  in the middle screw holes.

If anyone is going this route, I recommend buying at least 20 100mm high tensile bolts at the same time, because most of them will not be straight.. and you need at least 6 relatively straight ones.

Offline RockPaperRifle

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 22:00:41 »
go hard or go home

Show Image

What I use is a Silver (softsteel) 50mm for the most inner screwhole,  then the coupler and then a 100mm black high tensile bolt.

The reason you want the soft steel uptop is so you can BEND it so it is vertical to the table, thus giving you completely clear space between the doxes..

The reason you want high tensile 100mm bolt for the lower portion, is because it's more rigid and won't bend.

If anyone is going this route, I recommend buying at least 20 100mm high tensile bolts at the same time, because most of them will not be straight.. and you need at least 6 relatively straight ones.

Where did you get this hardware? I dont have an ergodox yet. I have a zen keyboard and soon will have an iris keyboard. I also have a mistel barocoo that i would like to tent too.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 22:33:31 »
Like this. Not adjustable obviously, but I found this angle to work for me.

192698-0

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 01:08:23 »
go hard or go home

Show Image

High tensile steel is not stiffer than regular steel: it is stronger and/or tougher, but but not stiffer.

/engineeringpolice

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 11:28:03 »

High tensile steel is not stiffer than regular steel: it is stronger and/or tougher, but but not stiffer.

/engineeringpolice

I'm using these terms loosely,

but with regard to the m3 screws sold on ebay,   the high tensile is definitely more (Hard/Strong).

There, u happy ?

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 13:02:17 »

/engineeringpolice

I'm using these terms loosely,

but with regard to the m3 screws sold on ebay,   the high tensile is definitely more (Hard/Strong).

There, u happy ?

Never! These are powerful words, use them wisely.

Stiffness - the springiness or a material, analogous to a spring in its natural range of springiness;
Strength - the capacity of the spring before it won't return to its original shape, or it breaks;
Toughness/hardness - the resistance to denting and scratching

/engineeringpolicederail