Author Topic: repairing an SGI keyboard with a damaged plug  (Read 1230 times)

Offline glaurung

repairing an SGI keyboard with a damaged plug
« on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 23:30:25 »
I have an SGI 9500900 "granite" keyboard. The plug looks OK, but I cannot get it to plug in properly without a ton of wriggling and fiddling and a scary amount of force. I've tried plugging it into a couple of different PS/2 ports and adapters, they all are problematic. I can just barely plug it into the SGI Indy that it came with (yes I bought a vintage workstation just to get the bundled keyboard. I need professional help). Most of the other PS/2 ports I've tried to plug it into, I flat out can't make it work, or it plugs in but doesn't feel secure and some keypresses don't register when I type on it.

Again, visual inspection of the plug doesn't show any problems that I can see - obviously it's deformed somehow, but it's subtle enough that I cannot see it.

I don't want to get involved with hand wiring a new plug because a) my skills are weak, b) lack of time. 

Does anyone know of a source for compatible replacement cables? Anyone know how tricky it is to replace the cable on these keyboards?

Offline Tactile

Re: repairing an SGI keyboard with a damaged plug
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 01:43:12 »
Not a solution but here's some information you might find useful.
REΛLFORCE

Offline glaurung

Re: repairing an SGI keyboard with a damaged plug
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 01:56:25 »
Thanks Tactile. 

After looking at the connector half a dozen times without seeing the problem, I finally realized what was wrong - the metal barrel of the connector was too big in diameter, somehow it got squished bigger. 

Tried a plier repair and as I suspected, all I managed to do was bend it worse.  So I need a new cable.

Took the board apart and was happy to see it isn't as finicky inside as a Model M. I now have the cable detached.

I need a PS/2 cable with one of these connectors:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glaurungquena/41513055051/in/dateposted-public/

If the wiring could be compatible with SGI wiring, that would be very nice (just how non-standardized were the wirings for these things back then?). 

Any suggestions for a good place to buy one?  Preferably that will ship to Canada without charging the world in postage?
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 April 2018, 01:58:36 by glaurung »