Author Topic: The Bike Thread!  (Read 217598 times)

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Re: The Bike Thread!
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 01:43:22 »
I can tell people are getting their bikes ready for spring. :P
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline iri

« Reply #251 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 11:37:34 »
My bike is the same all year round :)
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #252 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 11:44:26 »
My bike is the same all year round :)
Same here. :)
Though I do hope to save up enough this year to build a new one. My current one needs some major overhauling which might get expensive.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Online chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #253 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 12:52:19 »
They haven't invented city bikes yet in the UK which is very inconvenient. They only have racing bikes, mountain bikes and hybrid bikes, all of which are totally useless for day-to-day tasks in a city, and they're very uncomfortable for people with bad backs. It took me ages to find this piece of **** hybrid that has at least the bare basics of a useful bikes; mudguards, baggage rack and gears without racking me - virtually everything else is missing at least one of them D; .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline iri

« Reply #254 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 13:41:34 »
They haven't invented city bikes yet in the UK which is very inconvenient. They only have racing bikes, mountain bikes and hybrid bikes, all of which are totally useless for day-to-day tasks in a city
What kind of day-to-day tasks do you do that hybrids are useless for?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #255 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 13:43:49 »
My bike stays the same all year round, but I definitely have a beginning and end of summer teardown after all the winter rain/mud and summer dust. :)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #256 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 22:12:41 »

I'm getting ready to start biking to work!  :D

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #257 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 23:19:38 »

From one "Clydesdale rider" to another i highly recommend a few shorter rides to get your butt used to it. It took me some time to really get comfortable for even a few days a week riding 5 miles each way.
-Dana

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #258 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 23:31:57 »

From one "Clydesdale rider" to another i highly recommend a few shorter rides to get your butt used to it. It took me some time to really get comfortable for even a few days a week riding 5 miles each way.

Good point.  I'll have to get back in the swing of things for sure.  "Luckily" my commute is only 2.5 miles, so it shouldn't be too rough (but also won't count as a legitimate workout in my mind  :-/  ).

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #259 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 23:43:29 »

Good point.  I'll have to get back in the swing of things for sure.  "Luckily" my commute is only 2.5 miles, so it shouldn't be too rough (but also won't count as a legitimate workout in my mind  :-/  ).

Better than nothing!  :)

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #260 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 00:08:23 »

2.5 miles is what i ride to go drinking on saturday nights... it can be a workout depending on hills and how fast you want to go. I will bet you can keep up at 10mph and do it just under 15min. If you have more time as you get conditioned and become faster/more efficient, you can start plotting out longer, prettier, more challenging, or more likely safer routes to take.

have fun though or you'll stop doing it.
also, fenders are really nice.
-Dana

Offline aptivaboy

« Reply #261 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 15:59:54 »
I have a small collection of classic steel frames that I'm slowly restoring. Some I'll keep and build up with Campy only, others are Ebay fodder after they're redone. STEEL IS REAL!

- Merckx 753 Gran Prix.
- Merckx SLX Funny Bike.
- 1989 Waterford Schwinn Paramount OS
- 1998 Anniversary Edition Schwinn Paramount 853 from Match Cycles.
- Montagner with Oria GM 0.0 tubing.
- Medici with Tange Prestige tubing.
- Dave Moulton Fuso FRX.
- Peugot Chorus with Reynolds 753.
- Actual team issue Lemond in Team Z colors, not a repro. Its clearly a custom due its geometry, so a real Team Z frame.
- Lemond TSX.
- Lemond Zurich 853.
- Ciocc Worlds '77, an actual Ciocc, not a Ten Speed Drive version.
- Serotta Colorado II, a 1991-92, I believe.
- Serotta/Davis Phinney model, 1990, in SLX/SPX.

The list goes on.

I was riding a mountain bike until my injuries and hope to again soon.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #262 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 16:21:00 »
Very cool! :) I love a good steel bike. I eventually want to build another one once I stop moving around so much and have some more time to ride it!

Offline mauri

« Reply #263 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 06:22:43 »
sup guys.

i'm in a need of a new bike as my old one was stolen. it wasn't much and had only one gear but i won it from a raffle so whatever. but yeah i was thinking of splurging a bit on a proper one that i can use in the winter as well.

suggestions? my budget is about max 600€ and i was thinking a 29" hard tail would be pretty good.

i was looking at Cube Aim SL and Cube Aim Pro, they any good? i'm fine with second hand stuff but i really am clueless what models are any good.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #264 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 11:42:33 »
sup guys.

i'm in a need of a new bike as my old one was stolen. it wasn't much and had only one gear but i won it from a raffle so whatever. but yeah i was thinking of splurging a bit on a proper one that i can use in the winter as well.

suggestions? my budget is about max 600€ and i was thinking a 29" hard tail would be pretty good.

i was looking at Cube Aim SL and Cube Aim Pro, they any good? i'm fine with second hand stuff but i really am clueless what models are any good.

What kind of riding do you do? Just road, just trails, a bit of both?

Offline mauri

« Reply #265 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 11:50:53 »
sup guys.

bit of both and mainly in the winter so unplowed snowy dirt roads etc.

i was recommended radon zr team 5.0 over the cubes.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 May 2016, 11:53:40 by mauri »
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #266 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 11:57:13 »
sup guys.

bit of both and mainly in the winter so unplowed snowy dirt roads etc.

i was recommended radon zr team 5.0 over the cubes.

Yeah, that looks decent but I don't know much about the brand. I would recommend you go secondhand as you can usually got a lot better bang for your buck :) Just meet them at a bike shop and ask the mechanic beforehand if they are willing to give it a quick going over if you aren't too mechanically inclined.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #267 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 17:25:24 »
I ride my Hooligan mostly on the weekends along the L.A. Metro Expo line's bike path (it's almost done).  It'll link downtown L.A. all the way to Santa Monica beach.  Cannondale Hooligan is a really fun ride.  There's a group on FB if anyone interested.  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #268 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 17:57:07 »
How far do people usually bike for exercise daily? I'm slowly building up my stamina and can do 18 km in 40-45 mins for cardio, but wondering what is the norm.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #269 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 19:07:39 »
^ I usually ride around 10 - 15 miles a day but once the bike path is complete, I might be able to do 20+ miles each day (I only ride on weekends).  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #270 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 20:07:37 »
How far do people usually bike for exercise daily? I'm slowly building up my stamina and can do 18 km in 40-45 mins for cardio, but wondering what is the norm.

It depends what you are working/training for.  What is your goal?

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #271 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 01:07:58 »
find a cadence you are comfortable with and just go 10% harder. That's normally a good starting point

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #272 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 09:04:07 »

When I was in Minneapolis and actually had decent bike trails I would do 15 miles (24 km) or so at a pace between 16-18 mph (25-29 kph).  This was relatively flat grade and I was in much better shape than I am now...  :|

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #273 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 13:17:39 »
Just got back from Japan and the Keirin frame dream is alive and well. Feels like 2007 man.

Just got Thomson stem and seatpost upgrades for my LItespeed and a new saddle and plastic double-strap cadges for my RB-1

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #274 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 20:47:23 »
All ready to go for the season!  ^-^  Could use a bit of a cleaning, but she'll do the trick.  :))

Schwinn Le Tour by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #275 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 22:25:15 »
This is my Giant tcr c3 and my girlfriend's kuwahara sprint. I'm glad that the rainy season is over.
Biking is fun.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #276 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 15:31:41 »
Went for my first ride today with coworkers during my lunch break!  Was much better than expected - exhausting, but not overly so.  :thumb:  Now to just hope I don't feel worse tomorrow...  :))

Offline RobotMalcolmX

• hackerman
« Reply #277 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 15:51:59 »
I started riding last year, I'll try and get a photo when I get home from work today.

Went for the first ride of the season last week and realized how out of shape I am... Crazy how quickly it happens. Need to get something for work that I can be doing at my desk.

Offline ninnysquat

• Mes Que Un Club
« Reply #278 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 02:14:39 »
A huge interest of mine so here's my spiel.

Currently, I ride a hand-built touring-inspired frame made from an assortment of 1970's Cinelli/Columbus tubing and lugs (used bronze and silver flux). Since Campy Record parts from that period are more expensive than they are worth, I threw on a SRAM Rival crankset and rear cassette with some old Tiagra shifters and derailleurs. Who says you can't mix and match? Wheels are from Sunshine Hub (they were just collecting dust) as was the saddle (a Fizik). Front and rear racks are custom-made for that bike specifically and serve their purpose.
If you are really interested in the build quality of old parts, just try heating a Cinelli bottom bracket shell (took roughly 5 minutes at 1000+ F).

This was my first build and certainly won't be the last.

Also, here is my dad's current ride. Another hand-built deal. He likes to cook and had the brilliant idea of joining the two together. He often rides around our area and others doing demonstrations and the like.

I also have a few other frames collecting dust:
2006 Lemond with 105 Groupset
1990s Bontrager Mountain Bike
2000s Fuji Newest
Custom "Pigarello" - Old Tandem frame modified with a 2.5' rear rack for BBQ delivery
Custom Recumbent Tandem (nicknamed "Red Green" after the show)
3 Custom Recumbents
Old Frames (Reynolds, Columbus, Custom Fiberglass)

Cool stuff:
Got to see the end of the Tour de France in 2012.

Crazy front chainring

Stage Finish

Chris Horner sighting!

Filco Majestouch Ninja TKL

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #279 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 02:15:48 »
Me and Apple are going to ride our bikes together.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #280 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 19:43:34 »

All this talk about bicycles..

I just went and dug out the bike I got at sears when I was 14..

It's supposed to be a mountain bike.. But honestly, It's not, cuz it's heavy as ****..

It was like $120 assembled.. so.. yea......

Rear Breaks are shot.. the spring's weak, and no good.

Replacement brakes cost $20.00,  are these people insane..Fffffffff

Unfortunately any bike that is $120 assembled will be rather heavy and low quality. You could definitely fix it yourself if you are determined.. Youtube has a lot of good videos that can teach you how to tune a brake. Then you just need to pay for the parts!  :) :) :)

I'm well aware my bike is crummy.. I took the brake assembly apart. put some lube between each moving part. It seems to be working now. but still not great..

I could get a whole stationary bike for like $25..  Or new brake assembly for $20...

LOL..  tough choice..
I'll ditch the sears and Walmart bikes. I work in a bike shop and those bikes are crap to begin with. Wheels are never true and always come back to us with a crank arm completely sheered off. Probably better off to buy a good condition used bike then spend money maintaining your current bike.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 May 2016, 20:03:51 by Hellcatz »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #281 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 20:05:06 »

I'm well aware my bike is crummy.. I took the brake assembly apart. put some lube between each moving part. It seems to be working now. but still not great..

I could get a whole stationary bike for like $25..  Or new brake assembly for $20...

LOL..  tough choice..
I'll ditch the sears and Walmart bikes. I work in a bike shop and those bikes are crap to begin with. Wheels are never true and always come back to us with a crank arm completely sheered off. Probably better off to buy a good condition used bike then spend money maintaining your current bike.
[/quote]

preciate the late reply hellcatz..

But uh..... I only go around the neighborhood for 25 minutes for xercise.... no need for super bike..

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #282 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 22:49:17 »

LOL..  tough choice..

preciate the late reply hellcatz..

But uh..... I only go around the neighborhood for 25 minutes for xercise.... no need for super bike..
[/quote]
nope a decent used bike can be anywere around 50-100 bucks. Better then flying down a hill when your wheels decide to disintegrate

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #283 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 10:09:16 »
Crosspost:
Bought a stationbike for my girlfriend this weekend (Think cheap bike for city use) but it needed some work.
Today I replaced some cables and the handlebar tape and made it rideable again. Only thing I forgot is new brake pads...
Anyway, next weekend the old Batavus/Intercycle Champion can ride again. :)

This bell is awesome but I'll have to sand it and respray it some time.

More

|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline drewba

« Reply #284 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 17:36:54 »
Looking for suggestions on turning a MTB into a hybrid/road commuter, the issue I'm having right now is numb wrists & pinched nerves on any ride longer than ~15 miles. I did get gloves, they are thin but do seem to help a bit. While riding, I reposition grip every 10 minutes or so but with a straight bar I feel like there's pretty much only one standard grip. Are drop handlebars the way to go? I've seen some drop-style bar clips but then my hands would be off the brakes :/ An entire new handlebar I'm assuming would need new levers; something that might be out of my price range, also I'm a noob and haven't looked in to what's entailed for an installation like that.

My boss just sold me his '08 GT Avalanche 2 mountain bike for $25.00. I mainly ride flat-ish paths with crushed limestone so while this isn't the ideal bike for me, I felt like I couldn't pass it up because my old bike is in rough shape. So far, I removed the clipless pedals that were on the bike as I do not have bike cleats. I also ordered a set of fast rolling tires as the current tires are extra knobby mountain tires. The bike is a hardtail and unfortunately I can't fully lockout the front suspension - it's probably better for my wrists but sucks while sprinting.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #285 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 23:31:15 »
My guess is that you are putting too much pressure on your hands so forget drop bars as they make you lean even more forward, increasing pressure. I would suggest looking into butterfly bars or something like an inversed moustache bar or Jones H-bar.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #286 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 01:29:31 »
Looking for suggestions on turning a MTB into a hybrid/road commuter, the issue I'm having right now is numb wrists & pinched nerves on any ride longer than ~15 miles. <stuff>

There can be many causes for hand pain/numbness. Is it on your pinky side or ring finger side? Is it in both hands equally or one side more than the other?  You might be compressing/irritating the nerves in your hand, or you could be doing it further up in your elbow. Possible solutions: gloves, especially ones with a spot of padding between middle and ring finger to keep your hand and wrist splayed. Grips, like the ergon offerings, can spread your hand out and reduce shock. Having more hand positions, like with the bar ends, can reduce fatigue and pain by moving things around. Moving your seat back and down a little can take the pressure off your hands.

But... Probably the most likely suspect is that you're new to it. When you say things like "but I won't be on the brakes" it makes me think you are squeezing your grips instead of resting your hands on them. Your upper body should all be pretty relaxed, and that comes with experience. Also, as you get stronger you will support yourself more with your feet as you pedal more, and harder, which takes the pressure off your hands. So before spending more money, I'd try and see if it begins to get a little bit better with practice and strength. That being said, this is not an uncommon symptom for even experienced cyclists and part of the reason why there are multiple positions for hands on road bikes and on MTB with bar ends.

Offline tomboy

« Reply #287 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 02:13:24 »
This is my bike, I built it from scratch (even laced the wheels myself):

Offline drewba

« Reply #288 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 17:55:42 »
My guess is that you are putting too much pressure on your hands so forget drop bars as they make you lean even more forward, increasing pressure. I would suggest looking into butterfly bars or something like an inversed moustache bar or Jones H-bar.

Looking for suggestions on turning a MTB into a hybrid/road commuter, the issue I'm having right now is numb wrists & pinched nerves on any ride longer than ~15 miles. <stuff>

There can be many causes for hand pain/numbness. Is it on your pinky side or ring finger side? Is it in both hands equally or one side more than the other?  You might be compressing/irritating the nerves in your hand, or you could be doing it further up in your elbow. Possible solutions: gloves, especially ones with a spot of padding between middle and ring finger to keep your hand and wrist splayed. Grips, like the ergon offerings, can spread your hand out and reduce shock. Having more hand positions, like with the bar ends, can reduce fatigue and pain by moving things around. Moving your seat back and down a little can take the pressure off your hands.

But... Probably the most likely suspect is that you're new to it. When you say things like "but I won't be on the brakes" it makes me think you are squeezing your grips instead of resting your hands on them. Your upper body should all be pretty relaxed, and that comes with experience. Also, as you get stronger you will support yourself more with your feet as you pedal more, and harder, which takes the pressure off your hands. So before spending more money, I'd try and see if it begins to get a little bit better with practice and strength. That being said, this is not an uncommon symptom for even experienced cyclists and part of the reason why there are multiple positions for hands on road bikes and on MTB with bar ends.

Thanks you two. I agree that my grip is quite possibly too tight. Also I haven't had a proper bike fitting so I still need to trial & error to figure out what works best for me. Numbness is happening on both hands equally, almost always along the entire bottom of my hand directly above the wrist and sometimes in the tips of my fingers. So I'm thinking I'm pinching both the ulnar & carpal nerve (thanks, google!). Thanks for the tip on the gloves & Ergon grips. If for some reason loosening my grip doesn't seem to make a difference on my next ride I'll pick up those ergons. I'm surprised that the guy at my local bike shop recommended thin gloves to me after I specifically mentioned having pinched nerves.

In other news I picked up a Giro Phase helmet today. I've been borrowing my roommates' helmet and I've apparently inspired him to get back on bike again so I needed a helmet of my own.

Offline iri

« Reply #289 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 11:41:36 »

Thanks you two. I agree that my grip is quite possibly too tight. Also I haven't had a proper bike fitting so I still need to trial & error to figure out what works best for me. Numbness is happening on both hands equally, almost always along the entire bottom of my hand directly above the wrist and sometimes in the tips of my fingers. So I'm thinking I'm pinching both the ulnar & carpal nerve (thanks, google!). Thanks for the tip on the gloves & Ergon grips. If for some reason loosening my grip doesn't seem to make a difference on my next ride I'll pick up those ergons. I'm surprised that the guy at my local bike shop recommended thin gloves to me after I specifically mentioned having pinched nerves.

In other news I picked up a Giro Phase helmet today. I've been borrowing my roommates' helmet and I've apparently inspired him to get back on bike again so I needed a helmet of my own.
Do you cycle with your arms straightened?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline drewba

« Reply #290 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 12:29:45 »
More

Do you cycle with your arms straightened?

No, there is a bend in my elbow and I never lock out my arms. I took a short 10-12 miler (19km) last night with a soft grip and moved my hands around every 5 minutes. I feel fine today. We'll see how it goes during a longer ride but hopefully I'm just an idiot who learned how to grip the handlebars the hard way.

Offline iri

« Reply #291 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 15:12:05 »
I might move my hands more frequently than every 5 minutes though.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #292 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 15:20:14 »
Got a barely used xercise bike for $10 off craigslist.. old man moving to northern california..

Biking Costs:

Put on Pants, Socks, Shoes,  x2
Garage Door open/close,  x2
Take bike on off rack, x2
~ 10-15 minutes all together just for the non-exercise portion

Exercise bike..

Underwear,
Get on bike..

25 minutes, and you're done..

This biking thing represents a significant time cost.. Time of which is irrecuperable

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #293 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 15:40:25 »
Finally finish building my bike. A soma smoothy with go fast bits.140471-0

Offline drewba

« Reply #294 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 15:55:09 »
Finally finish building my bike. A soma smoothy with go fast bits. (Attachment Link)

That looks dope

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #295 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 19:45:17 »
I'm starting to build myself a fixie for town riding. Currently browsing craigslist for vintage steel frames. Anyone have recommendations for good budget fixed cranksets?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #296 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 21:01:22 »
I'm starting to build myself a fixie for town riding. Currently browsing craigslist for vintage steel frames. Anyone have recommendations for good budget fixed cranksets?
Sugino (cheap/good quality)
SRAM (middle ground/great all around performance and no flex)
Phil wood (baller/bling)
Paul components (baller/bling)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #297 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 21:10:10 »
Phil wood (baller/bling)

awesome! I had kind of already found my way to suginos, but its nice to have the assurance that they're actually good considering the prices I'm looking at.
I'm looking at a samurai shogun bike on CL for like $150, seems like a pretty great deal to me, but I'd love input on that as well.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #298 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 22:55:11 »
Phil wood (baller/bling)

awesome! I had kind of already found my way to suginos, but its nice to have the assurance that they're actually good considering the prices I'm looking at.
I'm looking at a samurai shogun bike on CL for like $150, seems like a pretty great deal to me, but I'd love input on that as well.
I went for the sram s300 on my previous bike. Make sure it's 165mm  or you won't clear corners and that your crank fit your frame (not so much with bb but with the crank arm hitting the frame. Happened to a friend of mine.)

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #299 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 01:18:11 »
Phil wood (baller/bling)
Theres no reason to go something other than sugino unless you want something in particular.  They are well made, and good enough to race.  Granted the 75 is a touch more, but it's what I have on my track bike and I've never found it lacking in any way.

I don't recognize that bike brand, and there doesn't seem to be a ton of info around on it.  I'd personally avoid anything with a strange name.  Things to look for on a fixie conversion:
Bottom bracket thread: You want english threaded 68mm.  Italian will unthread itself.  French will both unthread itself and be the wrong size for everything.
Rear spacing and dropout length: You want dropouts to be as long and horizontal as they can be and the spacing to be no more than 126mm.  You are already going to cold-set it down to 120 for a track hub.  Further than that is not what I would consider safe.

Pay more for a good frame with all of the right stuff.  You will end up sinking way, way more buying a very cheap frame that you then need to find goofy parts for and trial and error stuff to get it to fit.  Ask me about my old french bike with a cottered crank that I used the cottered cups, a dura ace tandem BB spindle and a nuovo record headset... so much money and work for a $25 frame...