Author Topic: IBM M122 Bolt/Screw mod  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Drake9800

IBM M122 Bolt/Screw mod
« on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 10:38:35 »
Hello!
I recently purchased an M122 from the marketplace and have it torn down and cleaned for reassembly once my work rotation is done. I've spent some time reading through various guides and forums in regards to opinions and methods of the bolt/screw mod, I haven't yet concluded what exactly I'm going to do let alone which parts are the best?

Can anyone with experience rebuilding the 122's shed some light on the subject? I'm in Canada so I'd like to order the bolts/screws etc from amazon or similar while i'm stuck at work.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: IBM M122 Bolt/Screw mod
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 10:44:26 »
Ive done like 10 or so, which compared to others is only a small amount of modding, but I like bolting more than screws, idk why.
This guide should give you the info you need.

https://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=Modifications:IBM_Model_M:Nut_and_Bolt_Mod

Only things I would say, is while you have it apart, make sure you clean as deep as you can, because its a lot easier to do when you have it disassembled.
I normally do a warm bath for the cases and plate, then use a magic eraser to get all the scuffs and grime to a minimum.

I also use rubbing alcohol on cotton, to wipe down the membrane connector.

Finally, when you drill your holes, if you have a soldering iron, it makes it easy to make the holes clean.
The problem is there is a flashing ring of plastic that gets pushed up so you want to clip the excess down.

Do this part before cleaning, so that you get any loose clippings off the plate.

Best of luck!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 12:34:02 »
I think that a chisel blade on an Xacto is the easiest way to shave the rivet stems square and flat, and a tiny burr head on a Dremel is the best way to make starter divots for your drilling.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 19:48:03 »
Good luck with this - I hope it goes a bit faster than mine is :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Drake9800

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 20:19:18 »
Well I can honestly say I am DONE with this repair! a quick trip to the specialty metric bolt store for the m2 bolts and nuts then about 5 hours of drilling and twisting. I used the same length throughout and clipped the bottom row below spacebar to fit. I will say one thing. Compared to my model F this bolt mod adds a hefty chunk to the keystrokes especially the spacebar :)

Thanks to everyone on Geekhack for sharing their knowledge and posting the wiki!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 19:55:22 »
No plans to ANSI-mod it too?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 19:59:17 »
Well I can honestly say I am DONE with this repair! a quick trip to the specialty metric bolt store for the m2 bolts and nuts then about 5 hours of drilling and twisting. I used the same length throughout and clipped the bottom row below spacebar to fit. I will say one thing. Compared to my model F this bolt mod adds a hefty chunk to the keystrokes especially the spacebar :)

Thanks to everyone on Geekhack for sharing their knowledge and posting the wiki!

Nice! I'm glad it worked out! I love the M122s and glad you got it done!

Offline Drake9800

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 11:18:17 »
No plans to ANSI-mod it too?

uh oh... that never occurred to me as an option, I'm assuming one would find a donor board for keys/sliders or order from unicomp? is it as simple as popping keys on and off or does it involve moving springs as well :S ?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 13:34:23 »
You have to move springs while the layers are peeled apart.

You can use the board with just standard key stems, but it does take replacing a few keys to make it look right.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07