Author Topic: Post your Topre Keyboard  (Read 2624970 times)

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
Re: Post your Topre Keyboard
« Reply #4900 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 17:21:27 »
My last concern: how is the durability of Topre? Since it's not easily repairable like Cherry or ALPS boards, there will be a lot of troubles when it fails. Also does the feeling of keys change over time? In my impression rubber domes are not as durable as plastic and metal. I tried my friend's brand new HHKB and it feels great. Will it still feel the same after say 5 or 10 years? (That's kind of what I expected out of a $200+ kb)

There are a few people around who have had topre boards for years and they perform just fine. Normally the only wear is on the keycaps and even then just typically the spacebar.

I can't think of anyone who has had a topre board outright fail.
Good to know. In my impression cheap rubber dome membrane keyboards feel different after some years of use. It is just because they use some cheap, nondurable material for their domes? I hope Topre does not have this problem.

It isn't really fair to compare a topre board to cheap rubber dome keyboards.

And I don't think you will find any  keyboard that won't change some after years of use.

I have heard some people say that the older domes can feel stiffer, but not sure if this was quantitatively measured, or just by feel. Never heard of any damages though.

And I just got done reading an old thread about topre switches feeling lighter after many years.  :-\
Sure it's not fair to compare $20 kb to $200 kb. I am just curious about the reason that cause the difference of durability between Topre rubber dome and normal cheap rubber dome.
Though Cherry or ALPS keyboards will also change after some years of use, they are much easier to deal with. With about $50 I can buy a bag of switches and replace them. But AFAIK there are no Topre domes or springs for sale.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #4901 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 21:36:29 »
I am really curious why Topre feels so good. Its mechanism is just similar to regular rubber dome with a coil spring, but the spring offers very little force, so I don't think it makes much of a difference. Even though the actuation mechanism is different, but I don't think that will make a difference in the process of pressing down the key. I tried Topre once and I know it feels great, but I just can't understand what magic does Topre do to make it so great.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #4902 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 21:45:39 »
I am really curious why Topre feels so good. Its mechanism is just similar to regular rubber dome with a coil spring, but the spring offers very little force, so I don't think it makes much of a difference. Even though the actuation mechanism is different, but I don't think that will make a difference in the process of pressing down the key. I tried Topre once and I know it feels great, but I just can't understand what magic does Topre do to make it so great.

I believe it mainly has to do with the high quality of dome design/material, and how each dome is pressed down by an individual mechanism that is a combination of a plunger (with a flat base) which is well balanced and supported in a plunger housing. The entire mechanism is structured that the entire key press is smooth and consistent with minimal amount of friction between all parts. I think the round plunger design is a part of all this smoothness. Standard rubber domes I've encountered are usually  keycaps with a built in square part/plunger that is not flat, which presses down (stabs more like it LOL) on the rubber dome with no proper support to speak of other than that it's clipped into a hole in the case.

The high quality PBT keycaps may also be a factor :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 April 2015, 22:13:17 by VesperSAINT »

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #4903 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 06:29:24 »
Youtube videos don't seem to pop up for me (like there's no embed video for me to watch without leaving the page), anybody knows how to fix this?
By the way, nice mod and video Vesper

/heads to lurk again
bump? :(

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4904 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 06:33:18 »
Youtube videos don't seem to pop up for me (like there's no embed video for me to watch without leaving the page), anybody knows how to fix this?

/heads to lurk again

When they turned on the https it broke embedding youtube videos, usually in your browser there is a button on the address bar to allow them since they aren't 'secure', it is slightly different depending on your browser.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4905 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 09:28:35 »

/heads to lurk again

When they turned on the https it broke embedding youtube videos, usually in your browser there is a button on the address bar to allow them since they aren't 'secure', it is slightly different depending on your browser.

On chrome it's this shield.

People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline btctopre

« Reply #4906 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 09:36:06 »
Awesome, now I can finally see embedded videos. Thank you  :thumb:

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #4907 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 15:50:32 »

Yeeee!!! Thank you!!! Fixed for me too :D

I reuploaded my HHKB video with slightly better sound representation:

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4908 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 15:57:27 »

Yeeee!!! Thank you!!! Fixed for me too :D

I reuploaded my HHKB video with slightly better sound representation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGoKFJGQgko

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #4909 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 16:36:19 »
I see some HHKB Pro 1 with yellowed case. I guess that will also happen to Pro 2 given enough time. It is possible to re-brighten it?

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4910 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 16:49:27 »
I see some HHKB Pro 1 with yellowed case. I guess that will also happen to Pro 2 given enough time. It is possible to re-brighten it?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61502.0

Offline btctopre

« Reply #4911 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 16:57:25 »
I mean, that's standard for white plastic. But you should be able to give the case a bleach/hydrogen peroxide bath until it reaches a white suitable enough for you, then run it through the dishwasher after and be gtg.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #4912 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 21:27:17 »

alot of work but well worth it, dremeled holes in the fc660c topre mounts to allow the novatouch sliders to poker through and properly stabilize. Worked like a charm and feels exactly like a stock 660c. Left one topre stem for artisanal BroCap purposes  :thumb:

sorry about crumb bum photo but its dark out :(

don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4913 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 21:29:33 »
Show Image

alot of work but well worth it, dremeled holes in the fc660c topre mounts to allow the novatouch sliders to poker through and properly stabilize. Worked like a charm and feels exactly like a stock 660c. Left one topre stem for artisanal BroCap purposes  :thumb:

Wow! I wish you posted a couple shots of the process.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #4914 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 21:30:33 »
Show Image

+1  would have like to of seen that myself.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Moralless

« Reply #4915 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 21:31:31 »
Show Image

Nice man! Planning to do the same soon. Could you take a pic of the mounts that you had to dremel out? Just curious to see what it looks like.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #4916 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 21:33:10 »
Show Image

Thats the only in process shot i took, i was rushing to finish :D

Also im lucky the grey dyesub fc660c spacebar matches dolch exactly. Couldnt figure out how to get an MX spacebar on due to sizing :(

There are 2 small circles on the underside of the topre mounts, just point your dremel at them and go through. Leopold wierdly has markings for them  :confused:
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 April 2015, 21:35:08 by PunksDead »

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #4917 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 21:36:31 »
Show Image

Show Image

Also im lucky the grey dyesub fc660c spacebar matches dolch exactly. Couldnt figure out how to get an MX spacebar on due to sizing :(
Very nice!!! Now you got me wondering how hard it would be to do this to a RF...

AND AS FOR YOU VESPER!!! I HATE YOU!

YOUR KEYBOARDS ARE THE REASON I CAN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT  >:D
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #4918 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 21:51:41 »
Show Image

Show Image

There are 2 small circles on the underside of the topre mounts, just point your dremel at them and go through. Leopold wierdly has markings for them  :confused:

YOU'RE SO BEAUTIFUL... I wish I could fall asleep and wake up to you forever...

AND AS FOR YOU VESPER!!! I HATE YOU!

YOUR KEYBOARDS ARE THE REASON I CAN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT  >:D

HUE~ I love you too... Even when you sleep... I hope you dream of my keyboards ~ <3

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #4919 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 21:51:46 »
Show Image

Wow punks this looks pretty freaking amazing I do say so myself can't wait till I get the confidence to start taking power tools to my boards (especially now that the leopold is a little harder to get) very sweet mod man. I love that you left the one Topre cap now you can rock Topre and MX caps on the same board.  :thumb:
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #4920 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 22:02:08 »
Show Image

Show Image

God dammit... the stabilized keys were the only reason I didn't cave and Novatouch stem mod my HHKB. Now that I know it's possible, I'm super tempted to do this..................
null

Offline Moralless

« Reply #4921 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 23:51:48 »
All about those :blank:

HHKB by iDroM, on Flickr

KWK by iDroM, on Flickr

HHKB by iDroM, on Flickr

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4922 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 00:08:19 »

Show Image

HHKB by iDroM, on Flickr

Show Image

KWK by iDroM, on Flickr

Show Image

HHKB by iDroM, on Flickr

IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #4923 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 00:29:25 »
Apparently im an idiot and the stabilizer pods are interchangable and i didnt need to dremel my board...  Move along people nothing to see here

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #4924 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 00:47:28 »
Apparently im an idiot and the stabilizer pods are interchangable and i didnt need to dremel my board...  Move along people nothing to see here

gratuitous dremeling ftw.  that dolch and cmyw on the fc660c looks mighty tasty though.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4925 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 00:55:19 »

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #4926 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 01:26:22 »
lol, but how about the side play... do the novatouch stems feel as snug?

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #4927 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 01:30:59 »
I yearn for the day when someone starts producing topre key cap sets. It will be the Topre revolution. We shall infect the masses with our oneness with cupped rubber and mighty keycap selections.  :-*

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #4928 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 03:30:39 »
lol, but how about the side play... do the novatouch stems feel as snug?

Also interested in this, does it feel snug? Between you and epzy I now need to find some novatouch sliders, dammit guys why do you do this to me :confused:

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #4929 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 05:11:42 »
Show Image

Hell yea dude looks so dope! Love the fc660c!

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4930 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 05:13:53 »
Do you think if you had a 6x mx spacebar, you could make it work on this fc660c?

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #4931 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 06:37:58 »

Show Image

HHKB by iDroM, on Flickr

Show Image

KWK by iDroM, on Flickr

Show Image

HHKB by iDroM, on Flickr
Wow those are super sexy man. Much envy huge beauty  :)
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline btctopre

« Reply #4932 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 07:19:00 »
I wasn't going to say anything, but... yeah. Just two tabs on the side of the housing that you push in/down with a small screw driver and then voila! Fortunately it shouldn't affect much should you want to put the original Topre slider/stabilizer back in there.

For the spacebar- if MX spacebars have a centered stem, you might be able to cut the backplate next to the stabilizers and then slide the stabilizer housing whichever way laterally that they need to go to make them match up (though idk if these Novatouch Cherry stabilizers use a wire to connect to each other?). The PCB might show through gaps a little but since you're doing it for the spacebar it'd be concealed pretty well. I re-did an entire bottom row on a 106-key keyboard doing this so I could use it with a 104-key PCB.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4933 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 11:04:03 »
I'm not sure I got what you meant. Do you mean you can take the stem of the stab and put it on the stock Leopold stab?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4934 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 11:08:17 »
I'm not sure I got what you meant. Do you mean you can take the stem of the stab and put it on the stock Leopold stab?

You can swap the entire stabilizers, housing and all from one keyboard to the other.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4935 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 14:50:29 »

You can swap the entire stabilizers, housing and all from one keyboard to the other.
Oh OK. Good to know, indeed it is better than drilling the board!

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4936 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 14:52:01 »
I wasn't going to say anything, but... yeah. Just two tabs on the side of the housing that you push in/down with a small screw driver and then voila! Fortunately it shouldn't affect much should you want to put the original Topre slider/stabilizer back in there.

For the spacebar- if MX spacebars have a centered stem, you might be able to cut the backplate next to the stabilizers and then slide the stabilizer housing whichever way laterally that they need to go to make them match up (though idk if these Novatouch Cherry stabilizers use a wire to connect to each other?). The PCB might show through gaps a little but since you're doing it for the spacebar it'd be concealed pretty well. I re-did an entire bottom row on a 106-key keyboard doing this so I could use it with a 104-key PCB.
The space bar does use a wire.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #4937 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:17:40 »
Well, it could still work out as long as the distance between the stabilizers underneath the spacebar are the same as wherever the new housing positions were.

Went and looked at the only pic I had of my adjusted bottom row (this, pre-sanding to level it out) and pretty much any cut to the plate made underneath the spacebar will be hidden. My original layout had something like a 5.25u spacebar, and I just measured and cut outward, then slid the housing down until everything lined up. So same sort of concept for making the Cherry stabilizers line up, but would still need a center stem spacebar as the actual spring/dome still needs to match up with that spot on the PCB.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4938 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:23:12 »
Do you think if you had a 6x mx spacebar, you could make it work on this fc660c?

You'd have to do a bit of surgery to the center stem of the spacebar as all the 6x cherry spacebars I know are offset.  The outer stabilizers are already in the right spot, if my memory is accurate.  If not, you're already dremeling the spacebar anyways...

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #4939 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 03:52:05 »
Show Image

Edit: Inspiration credit to clacktalk.

Top stripe is best stripe:

RealForce Red Blank PBT key cap set.

Nice bro. Let us know how they look on the board!

Your wish is my command.

Show Image

Jesus Christ that photo is so bad.... LOL...

Show Image

HHKB by iDroM, on Flickr

Show Image

KWK by iDroM, on Flickr

Show Image

HHKB by iDroM, on Flickr

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. 2 gud 4 me, son. Dayum... Those are some really nice Kaps.

Show Image

Nice! I'm glad you were able to find a cap to match your Red Fn!!! Looks great!!!

Show Image

Uee's a cutey ~ <3

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #4940 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 04:15:52 »
So I acquired me some blank Black HHKB keycaps earlier today from beautiful clacktalk <3

Here be my lubed 55g Silent HHKB!!!

Because I love packaging <3

« Last Edit: Sat, 11 April 2015, 04:21:46 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4941 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 04:19:50 »
So I acquired me some blank Black HHKB keycaps earlier today from beautiful clacktalk <3

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

WAOOOOH it is definitely really nice! I like it. Beautiful board Vesper as always. ^^

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #4942 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 04:27:37 »

Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

The only proper stormtrooper look in my eyes is with a white body. hella thumbs up sky high
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #4943 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 04:34:04 »
WAOOOOH it is definitely really nice! I like it. Beautiful board Vesper as always. ^^

Thank you, good sir <3 You honor me with your compliment ~ I'm just glad you like it!

The only proper stormtrooper look in my eyes is with a white body. hella thumbs up sky high

I love you, my lovely... This mane sold me this set for hella good price <333 Thumbs up sky high for you, baby. 2 thumbs up!!!

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #4944 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 04:37:27 »

Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4945 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 04:39:14 »

Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Bery nice! Bery nice indeed!
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #4946 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 04:46:35 »
Show Image

Bery nice! Bery nice indeed!

You are bery nice for the compliments <3 Bery nice indeed~~~

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #4947 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 05:41:30 »

Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Holy **** ...... I love the Topre RGB. Dammit vesper you always have some of the sexiest topre boards! That gun makes more and more sense everyday :))

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #4948 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 05:58:38 »
Holy **** ...... I love the Topre RGB. Dammit vesper you always have some of the sexiest topre boards! That gun makes more and more sense everyday :))

Thank you!!! I was lucky enough to be able to snag up those 2 blank Blue modifier keys from a sale way back.

As you know, I'm a RGB(Y) and CMY(W/K) fanboy <3 Just something about colored mods gets my fluids pumpin'...

Lol... The gun... I can feel your intent! I don't feel safe even in front of my computer!!! :))

Offline Moralless

« Reply #4949 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 06:58:08 »

Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Niiice Vesper! Totally outdoing my stormtrooper hhkb with that nightowl and RGB  :-*