Author Topic: GH60 Keyboard Project  (Read 610693 times)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: [Final Prototyping] GH60 Keyboard
« Reply #1300 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 13:59:57 »
They use the same controller, the way Komar has the matrix set up though make it so that 6 keys are left.

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
« Reply #1301 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 23:26:02 »
Can't wait to see some prototype action!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1302 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 23:42:53 »
Excited to see this develop as well!

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #1303 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 00:35:20 »
That is SPI which you can use to program the bootloader if there ever is a need. I'm considering dropping it in favor of JTAG.
The other possibility is to leave it there and use the JTAG pins for something else (though this will require programming fuse-bits through SPI) - for example break them out for expansion.

Do people use JTAG? I'm genuinely curious, I have no idea, I just think that I always read about ISP...

Thanks!

I am surprised that there is not more capacity on the controller.  Is this a smaller chip than (e.g.) the Liberator uses?

I also used a multiplexer for the HID Liberator expanding 3 controller pins into 8 outputs. Cheating a bit there =D

Offline epicsilas

« Reply #1304 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 00:38:41 »
This is the base design...

(Attachment Link)

Once the GH60 is in place, the final layer will be a Raspberry Pi.   ;D
That's awesome! I want one. :D

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1305 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 03:20:16 »
potentially interested...

you guys are too prolific.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #1306 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 20:44:23 »
Interested here!!!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline engicoder

« Reply #1307 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 22:08:47 »
Once the GH60 is in place, the final layer will be a Raspberry Pi.   ;D

I have been thinking about the same thing  with the intention of using the RPI as a remote desktop thin client (see http://rpitc.blogspot.com).

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1308 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 17:41:01 »

Beta testers will get a PM from me. From now on I'll be posting in this thread until the final production boards being made

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37570.0

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1309 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 18:06:16 »
Horray! PROTOTYPES!

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #1310 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 18:14:48 »
NICE! Hopefully it's a breeze and moves quickly from here. 

Look forward to seeing the first prototypes assembled. 

Also, I've learned today that I have been given full access to a shop full of metal working tools (sadly minus CNC), and given the free reign to attempt to make my own case.  I think I'm going to attempt to fabricate a Stainless Steel "oneproduct" style case in HHKB form for my GH60, and then get it powdercoated.
Depending on how that goes, and time/cost as well as finished result, I may consider custom orders if any one's possibly interested...

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1311 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 18:20:32 »
damn it, i want one :(

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1312 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 21:12:13 »
I am so excited they finally made it out of customs hell or where ever they were. Really looking forward to getting mine.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1313 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 21:21:39 »
Best unboxing video ever! When you showed the close-up of the PCB, I started getting REALLY excited that they are finally here and this is happening!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #1314 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 00:54:46 »

Also, I've learned today that I have been given full access to a shop full of metal working tools (sadly minus CNC), and given the free reign to attempt to make my own case.  I think I'm going to attempt to fabricate a Stainless Steel "oneproduct" style case in HHKB form for my GH60, and then get it powdercoated.
Depending on how that goes, and time/cost as well as finished result, I may consider custom orders if any one's possibly interested...

If you gonna powdercoat it anyway why not using regular steel (ie. construction steel)?
Its not just cheaper but also much easier to work with (milling, grinding, welding...)
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 January 2013, 00:56:35 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #1315 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 01:34:14 »
So I want to solder my own Phantoms and GH60 eventually, will I be good with a hakko FX-888 or will I need something else I'm probably not aware of? I have seen mention of blowers, is that just a regular heat gun, or a special one specific to soldering? Also what tips should I have in my soldering toolkit that will have me prepared for anything keyboard soldering could throw my way? I had a lot of fun doing a simple switch swap to my old FC700R but that only required a desoldering iron, and a regular cheap soldering iron I had.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline dirge

« Reply #1316 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 02:17:57 »
komar used a heat gun and flux to reflow solder on the gh60, it's going to be much easier doing it that way.  When I did mine I used multicore flux a fine tip and lots and lots of flux.

If you're not confident get someone else to do it, or get two boards as you may kill one.

Pads on some components could do with enlarging to allow the use of soldering stations.  SMD diodes, switches, cap/res/led of course are easy enough.

When soldering the controller, tin two legs at opposite sides.  position the controller so all pins are alligned then solder the tinned legs.  Then apply flux paste put some solder on the iron and run it across the rest of them.  It's easy enough just make sure to watch a few videos on youtube doing similar.

I've still got two legs shorted on my board so make sure you take your time and have soldering wick and lots of flux.  and don't for god sake use cheap ****ing solder!!!!
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1317 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 03:17:50 »
So I want to solder my own Phantoms and GH60 eventually, will I be good with a hakko FX-888 or will I need something else I'm probably not aware of? I have seen mention of blowers, is that just a regular heat gun, or a special one specific to soldering? Also what tips should I have in my soldering toolkit that will have me prepared for anything keyboard soldering could throw my way? I had a lot of fun doing a simple switch swap to my old FC700R but that only required a desoldering iron, and a regular cheap soldering iron I had.

That hakko FX888 will be good for all you keyboard-related soldering. Of course you'll just need some accessories like solder wire and some finer chisel tips. Brass sponge is highly recommended. It's functionally the same as a damp sponge, except doesn't thermally shock your tip. An extra flux pen or gel is also highly recommended. This "blower" you mentioned is not just a regular heat gun. A normal heat gun will blow all your SMD components off the PCB before the solder even melts lol. These are hot air guns designed specifically for SMD soldering or rework because you have more precise control of temperature and air flow. You actually don't need one of these for keyboard work.

Phantom really only requires a decent soldering iron with medium size tips and solder wire. Only soldering the controller daughterboard is the most delicate part. Switches and diodes can actually be soldered with a rather large and blunt tip (but you'll still want a decent iron for this) as long as you have solder in wire size 0.032" or smaller. SMD soldering for GH60 is not relevant because the final production boards will come with SMC presoldered on. The only reason that I have to do the SMD soldering is because these are all prototype boards and it's not cost effective only have a few prototype boards soldered at the factory.

Offline __red__

« Reply #1318 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 08:51:04 »
WhiteFireDragon - How much do I owe you for shipping?  I'm kinda chomping at the bit to get my hands on it and if an extra $5 or $10 will get it in the mail today to compensate you for the drive to the Post Office I'll be happy to add it ;-)

No need to solder mine.  I have solder stencils, paste and the hot-plate ready :-)

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #1319 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 11:27:58 »

If you gonna powdercoat it anyway why not using regular steel (ie. construction steel)?
Its not just cheaper but also much easier to work with (milling, grinding, welding...)

I was contemplating using stainless with maybe a nice clear coat on, but I suppose you're right and I could save a bit on metal if I'm powder coating

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1320 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 13:23:24 »
WhiteFireDragon - How much do I owe you for shipping?  I'm kinda chomping at the bit to get my hands on it and if an extra $5 or $10 will get it in the mail today to compensate you for the drive to the Post Office I'll be happy to add it ;-)

No need to solder mine.  I have solder stencils, paste and the hot-plate ready :-)

Stencil? Oh you so fancy  8) . You made a stencil to solder 1 PCB? It would have been faster if you just manually applied the solder paste.

I finished typing out the mass PM last night, I'm making the google doc right now to fill out. You'll get a PM shortly.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1321 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 13:28:55 »
I would bet he has a set of component stencils.  On the other hand, he has access to a laser.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Glissant

« Reply #1322 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 14:14:27 »
I just wanted to say that even though I was too busy to be a part of this at the earliest stages, I am really looking forward to being a part of the group buy.
WhiteFireDragon, you are highly inspiring, and I will be pulling out my soldering equipment to finally get to work on my Poker and Filco mods. I hope to see more videos of you doing keyboard stuff on your channel :).

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #1323 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 14:19:25 »
Yes thanks for that mini write up and words of encouragement on the other page.

By the time this gets to me I'll hopefully have a phantom assembly under my belt, but I'm looking forward to learning.

Offline __red__

« Reply #1324 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 14:45:21 »
Stencil? Oh you so fancy  8) . You made a stencil to solder 1 PCB? It would have been faster if you just manually applied the solder paste.

I would bet he has a set of component stencils.  On the other hand, he has access to a laser.

alaricljs is correct.  OHP (OverHead Projector) plastic + paste layer + laser = cheap, quick and easy stencils :-)

EDIT: Just got notification that my MX blues arrive on Friday !
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 January 2013, 14:55:45 by __red__ »

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #1325 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 14:53:33 »
So the only soldering required for the actual GH60 and Phantom PCBs to get functional will be the teensy, switches, and LEDs?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1326 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 15:00:05 »
So the only soldering required for the actual GH60 and Phantom PCBs to get functional will be the teensy, switches, and LEDs?

Yes for Phantom, but also the thru hole diodes. For GH60, the controller and SMD diodes will be presoldered to the PCB, so only the switches and Caps Lock LED need to be soldered. Even simpler!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #1327 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 15:31:22 »
I know we've talked about it already, but maybe we should consider changing USB mini to USB micro?
It's rated for more insertion cycles, and it is the kind of keyboard which you often plug and unplug...
I don't know, just thinking aloud.
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1328 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 15:35:20 »
Fit in the same case hole, I don't see why not if it is a better connector.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1329 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 15:40:12 »
Changing out the connector... herm. Kinda annoying for those who got sleeved USB cables and what not, but I agree that we should go for more in and out cycles.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #1330 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 15:43:31 »
Changing out the connector... herm. Kinda annoying for those who got sleeved USB cables and what not, but I agree that we should go for more in and out cycles.
Yes, that's the main problem I see - cables.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1331 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 15:45:42 »
On the other hand, almost every cellphone is a Micro USB, so not like they are in short supply. They are in short stylish supply. :))

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1332 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 15:54:09 »
I know we've talked about it already, but maybe we should consider changing USB mini to USB micro?
It's rated for more insertion cycles, and it is the kind of keyboard which you often plug and unplug...

YES please! Since these are custom designed PCB, we should break away from the mainstream connectors. The added reliability is a huge plus. I already have some micro USB parts with me so I'll add it to my prototype PCB.

alaricljs is correct.  OHP (OverHead Projector) plastic + paste layer + laser = cheap, quick and easy stencils :-)

It only takes 15-20min to manually apply all the solder paste. So making a stencil for 1 PCB, I already assumed you had access to all this stuff. But wouldn't it still be more time consuming to actually make the stencil + time it takes to apply spread the paste, vs just manually adding a small solder paste dot on each pad?

WhiteFireDragon, you are highly inspiring, and I will be pulling out my soldering equipment to finally get to work on my Poker and Filco mods. I hope to see more videos of you doing keyboard stuff on your channel :) .

Thanks. I'll eventually upload a bunch of other videos for modding. I have them in raw unedited files but just been too lazy to edit and upload. I'll probably do it closer to time when the phantom PCBs are done when people actually start to build their own.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1333 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 16:05:21 »
Micro USB sounds good to me. I have no attachment to Mini USB. I'll just have to order more Micro cables from MiMiC. He's doing one for me right now. :)

in memoriam

Offline osxoep

« Reply #1334 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 16:07:07 »
+1 for Micro USB. Means I can take the keyboard with me and not really have to worry about cables. Most people I know non longer have mini USB cables but everyone has micro USB.
HHKB Pro JP with hasu's controller (waiting for MX sliders)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1335 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 16:11:23 »
WASD is going micro for the V2 as well.
Russ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1336 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 16:19:16 »
ORLY? Interesting. Good for them!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1337 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 16:22:12 »
Micro USB sounds good to me. I have no attachment to Mini USB. I'll just have to order more Micro cables from MiMiC. He's doing one for me right now. :)
whoo more cables i need a ned one as well cause i was going to use one of my aramis armor cable but its got mini

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #1338 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 16:29:57 »
I'm not saying we're doing it, but I think the betatesters could vote for example.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1339 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 16:36:26 »
I'm not saying we're doing it, but I think the betatesters could vote for example.
I knew I should've been a beta tester. ;)

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #1340 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 16:52:23 »
We could support both, but have one of them presoldered. If someone dislikes it, they'll unsolder it and replace it with the other one.

Offline __red__

« Reply #1341 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 17:14:25 »
Can we source a socket with an identical PCB footprint?  That is the question...

Offline salmo

• messmore.org
« Reply #1342 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 19:47:51 »
I already keep a couple micro-usb's in my bag for my phones and mifi so I'd be thrilled to not have to carry around another cable, since there's where I want this keyboard to live.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #1343 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 20:33:05 »
Thanks. I'll eventually upload a bunch of other videos for modding. I have them in raw unedited files but just been too lazy to edit and upload. I'll probably do it closer to time when the phantom PCBs are done when people actually start to build their own.

I think what would be most helpful to me, and likely shouldn't be that hard for you to do, would be simply placing your camera on some sort of stand or resting somewhere...and just record you assembling the Phantom or GH60 from start to finish.  No need to talk and explain along the way, just simply sit down and assemble like you would anyways...just make sure camera is rolling.  Even if it was unedited, that may be even better, basically follow along in real time haha. 

Then, should any questions be had (as I know there would) people could simply ask details about what you did at X:XX time stamp. 

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #1344 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 23:12:11 »
I think the new WASD TKL is going to come with a micro for the increased durability. I'm all for it, but there are also simple adapters that you probably wouldn't see since it would be so close to the case.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1345 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 01:17:27 »
We could support both, but have one of them presoldered. If someone dislikes it, they'll unsolder it and replace it with the other one.

haha you say it like it'll be easy for everyone. There are 4 large pads and 4 small pins that has to be desoldered simultaneously. This is not possible with 1 iron, and that's assuming everyone will have 1 soldering iron. I think it needs to be left for the person to solder, or presoldered with the specified connector

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #1346 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 03:30:30 »

haha you say it like it'll be easy for everyone. There are 4 large pads and 4 small pins that has to be desoldered simultaneously. This is not possible with 1 iron, and that's assuming everyone will have 1 soldering iron. I think it needs to be left for the person to solder, or presoldered with the specified connector
Well, yes. I was assuming that's for those who have hot-air stations. But since these can be cheaper than soldering irons sometimes, I do think it's a must-have.

Offline salmo

• messmore.org
« Reply #1347 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 20:19:48 »
Speaking of hot air stations, any recommendations?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1348 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 20:21:21 »
My sister
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #1349 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 20:23:15 »