Author Topic: Help picking out Keycaps for KBD75 for Mac (for a beginner)  (Read 2784 times)

Offline nightmoves

I am very much a beginner and am working my first build. My main machine is a Mac, I have a cooler master mech for my gaming PC. My main requirement was to have a compact keyboard that also had a function row, that's mainly why I went with the KBD75.

I have purchased the KBD75 v2 aluminum case with USB C PCB kit. After going through a ton of switch testers, I finally decided on the Hako Violets. I have now started to look at keycaps. I looked at a chart about key profiles such as SA or MDA, but I honestly don't know which way to go, I don't think I'll have much of a choice since I want MacOS printed keycaps.

I have looked at getting a custom colored set from WASD and then buying the correct colour Mac function key row from them. Also because of the sizes of the right side cmd, option and ctrl keys on the KBD board, the keys would have to be 1x1 which I don't believe WASD has. KBD has more 75 keycap collections made specifically for their 75 kit that I have, but none are printed for Mac specifically. This isn't a huge deal, but I would obviously prefer to have ones that are printed for MacOS over Windows.

WASD custom Cherry MX custom keycaps
https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/87-key-custom-cherry-mx-keycap-set.html

KBDfans 75 keycap collection
https://kbdfans.com/products/kbd75-keyboard-keycaps-collection

Does anyone else have more suggestions of places I am not aware of? Thanks.

Offline IronCheeks

Re: Help picking out Keycaps for KBD75 for Mac (for a beginner)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 22:08:17 »
Hey! Fellow beginner here.

I think for the most part, a lot of the keycap sets will be made with a Windows base, but plenty do offer a MacOS Icon kit. I think your best bet is to go with what they offer on KBDfans as they are fairly affordable and have exactly what you need.

Most of the NKPC keycaps have icon kits that support MacOS. Also, pimpmykeyboard.com (aka Signature plastics - they're the ones behind the SA profie) provide alternative icon kits that should have what you are looking for.

Good luck in finding a keyset that fulfill your needs :D !
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 May 2020, 22:12:32 by IronCheeks »