Author Topic: Deskeys DES-Sliders  (Read 2405 times)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Deskeys DES-Sliders
« on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 18:21:23 »
Has anyone had experience with DES-Sliders yet? They seem pretty expensive to cover a full TKL (~105$), but are they worth it? I've always heard back things about JTK sliders.

Has Deskeys eclipsed novatouch sliders?

« Last Edit: Sun, 05 September 2021, 20:58:15 by _rubik »
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Deskeys DESK-Sliders
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 18:48:13 »
Has anyone had experience with DES-Sliders yet? They seem pretty expensive to cover a full TKL (~105$), but are they worth it? I've always heard back things about JTK sliders.

Man they’ve been working on those for years. I’d bet the farm they are really nice.  I would buy some but I still need a solution for stabilizer  >:D

Offline Chalkboard

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 21:43:20 »
Wonder how they compare to BKE redux domes. A perfect weighting for me would be slightly heavier than BKE heavy (extremes were too much), and it Looks like the green variant is weighted about 5g more than BKE heavy. Sounds interesting…
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 August 2021, 21:47:13 by Chalkboard »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 12:29:41 »

Man they’ve been working on those for years. I’d bet the farm they are really nice.  I would buy some but I still need a solution for stabilizer  >:D

Stabs are the only thing holding me back at the moment. I might buy a handful and run some experiments. Stay tuned
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 12:30:58 »
Wonder how they compare to BKE redux domes. A perfect weighting for me would be slightly heavier than BKE heavy (extremes were too much), and it Looks like the green variant is weighted about 5g more than BKE heavy. Sounds interesting…

Well domes are a whole other story. I'm running BKE heavies as well, but I'll probably pick up a few domes to compare / contrast. I'll let you know how that goes

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 10:14:25 »
I'm interested to hear reviews. It would be nice to have a cheaper Novatouch alternative which doesn't leave the board feel like rubbish.

Offline keywi

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 September 2021, 04:12:39 »

... and run some experiments. Stay tuned

I'm following this thread closely. I've been thinking about a specific build for some time now, it involves an HHKB and some mx keycaps (nothing special). Novatouch sliders would bring the price too high that's discouraging for me to purse the project.
I also read a blogpost (I'm new, I don't know if I'm allowed to link it here) about 2019 niz switches (old ones seem to have a bigger stem, some users reported them damaging the keycaps) which, apparently, could be a good-enough fit yet not a perfect one.
Finally, as you said in another post, stabs may be the biggest limit.

Anyway, thank you for experimenting and I really hope to hear some feedback!

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Deskeys DES-Sliders
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 September 2021, 21:07:43 »
I'm interested to hear reviews. It would be nice to have a cheaper Novatouch alternative which doesn't leave the board feel like rubbish.

Anyway, thank you for experimenting and I really hope to hear some feedback!

I've been playing around with my 87u here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114388.0

Haven't gotten to the sliders yet, but I've dropped in some deskey domes and silencing rings. Overall pretty happy with the experiment, so you can follow along with that more "general purpose" thread.

As for the sliders specifically, I'm going to order a pack of 17 tonight. If those feel good, the next step will be to figure out a stabilizer solution. Des mentioned on their discord ~3 weeks ago that their stabilized 2u option should be released "in two months". So I'm guessing we'll be seeing that sometime between October and December. Fingers crossed

Edit: I think I'm going to hold off on the sliders until the stabs are released. International shipping from China -- yikes  :eek:
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 September 2021, 21:38:14 by _rubik »