Author Topic: Shurikey compared to GMK  (Read 3311 times)

Offline SRKninjato

Shurikey compared to GMK
« on: Tue, 07 September 2021, 20:35:58 »
GMK, as the representative of double-shot keycaps, with its craftsmanship and retro industrial design, has been the representative of high-end mechanical keyboard keycaps for many years.

Shurikey keycaps are made by the double-shot molding technics, and adopt the same Cherry profile and similar legend layout designs as GMK, because the retro industrial style is one of the characteristics of Shurikey. Instead of copying GMK, we added our own understanding to the design and manufacturing:

Original design: Each keycap bottom is engraved with "SRK" authenticity certification

Delicate technics: ABS material, Double shot molding technics

Thickened design: the 1.5mm thickness is 0.2mm thicker compared to 1.3mm of GMK.

Injection hole: The injection hole is adjusted from the side to the bottom, so you can't see the injection hole from the outside.

North-facing LED adaptivity: The keycap has a trapezoidal slot inside, allowing the keyboard to be mounted on the keypad without bumping into the switch.

Legends design: The legends are redesigned, the alignments are adjusted to harmonise the look and feel of the legends (see picture).

Appearance on the side: Shurikey team worked hard to improve the appearance on the side, which was a difficulty of double-shot keycaps (see picture).

High adaptibility: 167keys, compatible with most mechanical keyboards on the market.

Cost effective: the 167Key keycap set costs less than 400 rmb as a set of double-shot keycaps we consider to be high quality.

Keycap aesthetics is very subjective. For example, there will be many people who like our design of the legends, and some others prefer GMK's classic design, but this is not a conflict. Shurikey team is full of professional keyboard players. As players, we respect the classics and enjoy seeing more diverse and more interesting products. Fortunately, with Shurikey, we have the opportunity to hear other players, express ourselves, show our talents and finally make the products. Although our products might not satisfy everyone, they are still valuable treasure.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Re: Shurikey compared to GMK
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 September 2021, 21:22:45 »
This looks pretty promising! I’m sure I’ll have more questions down the line, but just wanted to leave an initial comment of support.

How do custom mold prices compare to GMK?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 September 2021, 21:51:12 »
C t r l   
C ap sL o ck 
Shif t 
Esc 

I will be pretty excited to buy some new thick ABS, but some of these legends are reminiscent of cheapo aliexpress sets.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
Shurikey compared to GMK
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 September 2021, 22:06:13 »
I will be pretty excited to buy some new thick ABS, but some of these legends are reminiscent of cheapo aliexpress sets.

Yeah the text is a bit inconsistent. That can be ironed out though.

Maybe more pressing: I think it’s the overall legend weight that gives it a potentially cheap feel. Not sure why but I’ve always thought:

Bold font == Quality caps
Thin font == Ali knock off

Maybe GMK has Pavlov-ed us
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline SRKninjato

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 September 2021, 00:48:47 »
C t r l   
C ap sL o ck 
Shif t 
Esc 

In fact, GMK's thick font conceals this feeling somehow. You can even feel this even when you type on a computer, the two characters are the same distance apart. Shift is a good example. The closest distance between "h" and "i" are two vertical strokes. The closest distance between "f" and "t" are between two horizontal lines. This will visually make the h and i look closer than the f and t, because f's and t's vertical strokes are farther apart.

Offline SRKninjato

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 September 2021, 00:52:54 »

Yeah the text is a bit inconsistent. That can be ironed out though.

Maybe more pressing: I think it’s the overall legend weight that gives it a potentially cheap feel. Not sure why but I’ve always thought:

Bold font == Quality caps
Thin font == Ali knock off

Maybe GMK has Pavlov-ed us

GMK has left a deep impression on everyone, which is the historical precipitation and brand value, so we do not deny this aesthetic, however we hope that the legends have a kind of more modern aesthetics, and to have a clear difference with GMK.
In addition, in the ABS doubleshot process, it is much more difficult to make the legends thin than thick.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 September 2021, 09:12:46 »
Looks really great, would you consider changing the mods to signs rather than text with a small sign? 
I personally think GMK Metaverae style is much cleaner and better looking than text all over the keycaps like common keycap sets.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 September 2021, 09:33:02 »
I appreciate any manufacturer/vendor speaking directly to the community  :thumb:

I don't konw that the colorways depicted here are the best representation since the contrast is low on your set.  The one thing that stands out to me is that the font appears slightly larger on the bottom row modifiers (Ctrl, Alt, Fn) than other modifiers (Tab, Shift, CapsLock).  Maybe keep all modifier text limited to 1 font size?

Look forward to seeing other examples with sharper contrast.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 September 2021, 10:45:42 »
The symbols on the Tab key are wrong.
The Tab symbol is . It is lower down on the key because it is pressed without Shift.
The Back-Tab symbol is   . It is higher up on the key because it is pressed with Shift.
Compare with the symbols on the numeric row, which are in correct positions.

Offline SRKninjato

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 01:46:25 »
I appreciate any manufacturer/vendor speaking directly to the community  :thumb:

I don't konw that the colorways depicted here are the best representation since the contrast is low on your set.  The one thing that stands out to me is that the font appears slightly larger on the bottom row modifiers (Ctrl, Alt, Fn) than other modifiers (Tab, Shift, CapsLock).  Maybe keep all modifier text limited to 1 font size?

Yes, our modifier fonts are all designed to be the same size. However, you might be tricked visually by the differenet colors ,light and angles.

Offline SRKninjato

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 01:59:26 »
Looks really great, would you consider changing the mods to signs rather than text with a small sign? 
I personally think GMK Metaverae style is much cleaner and better looking than text all over the keycaps like common keycap sets.

We are not only thinking about the needs of experienced customization players. We might also have many customers who are not that familiar with the functions of keyboards, and need text to remind them of the usage. We think this version with text is more inclusive.
Anyway, thank you so much for your advice.

Offline iaji

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 02:28:27 »
if only you also sell SA profile, chief. personally i think the keycap market needs more quality disruption from zhongguo.

Offline Avi_

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 05:42:20 »
Logo on the spacebar is an immediate put off for me. Spacebar should be clean IMO.

And Shif t is a challenge for many keycap manufacturers, hopefully you'll be able to make it right sooner or later.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 11:44:10 »

Yes, our modifier fonts are all designed to be the same size. However, you might be tricked visually by the differenet colors ,light and angles.

You can clearly see here that the font size on the bottom row is larger.  I've copied and pasted in photoshop to explain better.

275905-0

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 13:24:57 »
Logo on the spacebar is an immediate put off for me. Spacebar should be clean IMO.

If I had to guess, that's just for demo purposes. I doubt they'll run sets with that logo