Author Topic: Aluminium Case?  (Read 3565 times)

Offline Zukaro

• Robot Fox
Aluminium Case?
« on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 23:56:45 »
(not sure if this is where to post this or not :v )

I was wondering if anyone knew of a place to get an aluminium case for my keyboard.
This is the keyboard I have: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-v2-87-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html#ad-image-0

I've seen one for a Filco keyboard (although I've heard bad things about that particular case; plus it wouldn't work for a WASD Keyboards keyboard, as the cable is detachable and connects via Micro-USB (or whichever is the one Android phones use) on the bottom of the case).

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Aluminium Case?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 00:21:51 »
(not sure if this is where to post this or not :v )

I was wondering if anyone knew of a place to get an aluminium case for my keyboard.
This is the keyboard I have: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-v2-87-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html#ad-image-0

I've seen one for a Filco keyboard (although I've heard bad things about that particular case; plus it wouldn't work for a WASD Keyboards keyboard, as the cable is detachable and connects via Micro-USB (or whichever is the one Android phones use) on the bottom of the case).
the main kbs forum is probably the best place for this.

However, here's a case that should work with your WASD V2 tkl.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60549.0

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 03:33:49 »
Yup, the TKL cases from here should fit your board:

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=44
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Zukaro

• Robot Fox
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 15:06:41 »
Awesome, thanks.  :3
Also I have another question; what does it mean if the cases are "60%"?  I'm guessing that just means that they aren't as tall as normal keyboard cases?
(as in, have the keyswitches visible? (*is basing this off pictures I saw, but I want to make sure :p*))

And another question: does anyone know of any purple aluminium case which is not 60%?  :P  Cuz I think purple would go great with the colour scheme of the keys I have currently, but if the 60% cases are what I think they are then I don't really like it (I know that mechanicalkeyboards place has a purple case which is made of aluminium, but it's one of those 60% cases).  :p

If not then I'll just be going with a black aluminium case (as my current case is black anyways and looks fine :p).

And are the keyboard cases at mechanicalkeyboards good quality?  As I saw a review of one of their cases (the silver one) which says they're not so great.

(sorry for all the millions of questions :p *is new to both mechanical keyboards and getting a different keyboard case :v :p*)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 15:15:14 »
Awesome, thanks.  :3
Also I have another question; what does it mean if the cases are "60%"?  I'm guessing that just means that they aren't as tall as normal keyboard cases?
(as in, have the keyswitches visible? (*is basing this off pictures I saw, but I want to make sure :p*))

And another question: does anyone know of any purple aluminium case which is not 60%?  :P  Cuz I think purple would go great with the colour scheme of the keys I have currently, but if the 60% cases are what I think they are then I don't really like it (I know that mechanicalkeyboards place has a purple case which is made of aluminium, but it's one of those 60% cases).  :p

If not then I'll just be going with a black aluminium case (as my current case is black anyways and looks fine :p).

And are the keyboard cases at mechanicalkeyboards good quality?  As I saw a review of one of their cases (the silver one) which says they're not so great.

(sorry for all the millions of questions :p *is new to both mechanical keyboards and getting a different keyboard case :v :p*)

A 60% case would be a case for a 60% keyboard which would be this

The vortex aluminum cases aren't the  best quality, but they're pretty much the best you can get for something that is regularly stocked. Really, the only noticeable problem is that there may be a few blemishes on the anodized finish
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 July 2014, 15:17:02 by FrostyToast »
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Zukaro

• Robot Fox
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 17:44:21 »
Thanks.  :3

In that case does anyone know of any higher quality aluminium cases which would be compatible with my keyboard?  I've been looking around for awhile and the only one I'm ever seeing is the ones on MechanicalKeyboards.com (as in, the vortex case).

I'll probably end up going with one of those vortex cases, but that's really only because they're all I can find at all.  :v  I don't mind scratches too much (as the case is gonna get scratched eventually, as aluminium is a pretty soft metal :p), but it'd be nice to at least know of the other options, if there are any.

Offline Zukaro

• Robot Fox
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 20:49:13 »
I've been thinking of just designing my own in FreeCAD and then getting it made somewhere for me, but I don't know how to go about starting (I've also never used CAD before :p but CAD I can learn in a night (I learned Blender in a night :v and made something pretty complex as my first model :P (wasn't the best thing ever, but still))).

Does anyone know where I could find either a CAD blueprint file thingy of the WASD v2 case?  Or detailed drawings of it with all the measurements I'll need?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 01:28:44 »

Does anyone know where I could find either a CAD blueprint file thingy of the WASD v2 case?  Or detailed drawings of it with all the measurements I'll need?
Most companies keep CAD of their products super secret to prevent people from cloning it for cheap.

I recommend getting a caliper and doing your own measurements.

Offline tbc

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 02:12:37 »
I've been thinking of just designing my own in FreeCAD and then getting it made somewhere for me, but I don't know how to go about starting (I've also never used CAD before :p but CAD I can learn in a night (I learned Blender in a night :v and made something pretty complex as my first model :P (wasn't the best thing ever, but still))).

it's generally accepted that it's expensive to get a single case made.  even IF the machine shop is willing to accept a 1 unit order. 

most people that get it for cheap use their university's equipment, some other connection, or in more rare cases, their own equipment (never seen someone with their own CNC machine though)
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Zukaro

• Robot Fox
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 12:30:03 »

it's generally accepted that it's expensive to get a single case made.  even IF the machine shop is willing to accept a 1 unit order. 

most people that get it for cheap use their university's equipment, some other connection, or in more rare cases, their own equipment (never seen someone with their own CNC machine though)

I assume my college might have a place with a CNC mill; I'd have to check though.  But I know there's also various hackerspaces/makerspaces (not sure what they're called :p) which have CNC mills (but they cost money monthly to use).

But the reason I'm thinking of just making my own isn't price, it's quality, as I hear the cases available at MechanicalKeyboards.com aren't super great quality (I doubt I could do much better, but at least making it myself would be a lot of fun).  Either way, it'd be nice to be able to make my own design anyways.  Of course, if it's too expensive I wouldn't be able to go about doing it.  :P  But it'd be good to make a CAD drawing anyways, and knowing how to use CAD is useful so I don't mind learning it.

Most companies keep CAD of their products super secret to prevent people from cloning it for cheap.

I recommend getting a caliper and doing your own measurements.

K