Author Topic: Matias quiet switches with MX compatible pinout  (Read 41619 times)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Matias quiet switches with MX compatible pinout
« on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 17:55:22 »
Is this possible? If so how much would they cost? I would absolutely KILL to get a black alps feel on my ErgoDoxen :-D

Offline dante

Re: Matias quiet switches with MX compatible pinout
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 17:57:07 »
This is much too dangerous.  The universe will tear itself apart!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 17:57:58 »
Not only that, but you guys would immediately become a player in the custom keyboard market. I'm sure there would be tons of people who'd love to use your switches in their custom builds, or replace the MX switches in their existing boards.

Offline Matias

• http://matias.ca
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 07:49:57 »
Sorry for the delayed reply.  Just saw this post...

The physical dimensions of our switch is different, so I don't think a plug-compatible version would be feasible.

However, we're gearing up to make it easier to do custom projects.  We're doing new keycap tooling, and will be making keycap sets available. 

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 07:54:06 »
Sorry for the delayed reply.  Just saw this post...

The physical dimensions of our switch is different, so I don't think a plug-compatible version would be feasible.

However, we're gearing up to make it easier to do custom projects.  We're doing new keycap tooling, and will be making keycap sets available. 

This is very exciting news!!  :thumb:

Offline Matias

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 09:03:24 »
Thanks, we're pretty excited about it too.  We've been working on this for months.  It was a much bigger undertaking than I expected.

We'd actually finished all the drawings for standard caps some time ago, but then re-considered and decided to go for thicker caps instead...  which meant we had to do it all again.   :eek:

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 16:09:57 »
Thanks, we're pretty excited about it too.  We've been working on this for months.  It was a much bigger undertaking than I expected.

We'd actually finished all the drawings for standard caps some time ago, but then re-considered and decided to go for thicker caps instead...  which meant we had to do it all again.   :eek:

Well better now then after going in production with the first idea then change your mind. Good choice though. Can't wait to get some.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 17:50:53 »
Now that you've got keycaps you should try to push Ducky / Filco / Leopold into making Alps boards again.  You can be switch/keycap supplier :)

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 17:55:37 »
Dear Matias,

Please include swappable CONTROL and CAPS LOCK keycaps in your future keycap sets.

Offline Matias

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 00:37:40 »
Please include swappable CONTROL and CAPS LOCK keycaps in your future keycap sets.

Of course, will do.

Now that you've got keycaps you should try to push Ducky / Filco / Leopold into making Alps boards again.  You can be switch/keycap supplier :)

Yes, FILCO is already distributing our products in Japan.  Once we have the keycap tooling done, I'm sure there will be interest — especially once they see what we have in-store.  We have a new product announcement happening in December.  Things will be more clear then.  However, I will say that that new product in no way competes with anything that we've done so far.

Offline keymaster

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 00:41:00 »

Of course, will do.

That would be amazing. I'm having trouble finding vintage ALPS keyboards (for keycaps) in good condition with the 'Control' key where the 'Caps Lock' is on modern keyboards.

Thank you!

Offline Matias

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 01:33:29 »

Of course, will do.

That would be amazing. I'm having trouble finding vintage ALPS keyboards (for keycaps) in good condition with the 'Control' key where the 'Caps Lock' is on modern keyboards.

Thank you!

No problem.  :-)

Attached is a photo I posted in another thread.  The keycap on the left is a mockup of our new caps.  The one on the right is the thinner one we're currently using — still very good, but thinner.

40595-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2013, 01:35:10 by Matias »

Offline keymaster

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 01:44:45 »
That looks good, but what will be the process used for the legends? Pad printing, laser-etching + infill, or dye-sublimation?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 01:56:29 »

That looks good, but what will be the process used for the legends? Pad printing, laser-etching + infill, or dye-sublimation?

Please say dye-sub!

Offline Matias

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 02:12:10 »

Please say dye-sub!

You can't dye-sub onto black keycaps, so that's rather limiting.

For PBT, we're planning to use a process called UV printing.  UV material is mixed with paint, printed onto the keycap, and then run through a UV machine.  This gives you vibrant colours onto any keycap colour, without the risk of them wearing off.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 02:18:13 »

Please say dye-sub!

For PBT, we're planning to use a process called UV printing.  UV material is mixed with paint, printed onto the keycap, and then run through a UV machine.  This gives you vibrant colours onto any keycap colour, without the risk of them wearing off.

Was just hoping the black thick cap was a prototype colour.

I believe qwerkeys does some UV printing for caps. I also believe we just did a GB for novelty caps done this way. Hopefully they feel nice!

And you specifically mentioned vibrant, are we looking at an awesome array of coloured legends? :)

Offline keymaster

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 02:18:25 »
I take it double-shot ABS is out of the question?

Anyway, when is the expected availability? In a few months?

Offline Matias

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 04:51:29 »
I take it double-shot ABS is out of the question?

Anyway, when is the expected availability? In a few months?

Correct, double-shot ABS is not in the cards.  We'll be able to do ABS or PBT, in either laser or UV printing.

We expect to start tooling next month, and should have caps available around March.

Offline Matias

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 05:07:29 »

Please say dye-sub!

I believe qwerkeys does some UV printing for caps. I also believe we just did a GB for novelty caps done this way. Hopefully they feel nice!

We're going to a lot of trouble to make sure they feel nice.  We've already done 3 rounds of prototype caps.  I'm hoping the 4th round will be the final one, then we can start tooling.

And you specifically mentioned vibrant, are we looking at an awesome array of coloured legends? :)

Yes, we're looking forward to collaborating with the community here to do some fun and interesting stuff.

We're also hoping to participate in the GH60 project.  The market is probably not big enough for us to do a 60% ALPS board as a product, but I'd definitely like to see one done and will help in any way I can.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 05:29:58 »

Please say dye-sub!

We're going to a lot of trouble to make sure they feel nice.  We've already done 3 rounds of prototype caps.  I'm hoping the 4th round will be the final one, then we can start tooling.

Yes, we're looking forward to collaborating with the community here to do some fun and interesting stuff.

We're also hoping to participate in the GH60 project.  The market is probably not big enough for us to do a 60% ALPS board as a product, but I'd definitely like to see one done and will help in any way I can.

I'll be building a 60% alps board very soon, the duck poker V2. It'll have your clicky switches in it, but needs a set of your caps. Can't wait to get a set of these thick caps!

Offline Matias

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 05:50:18 »

I'll be building a 60% alps board very soon, the duck poker V2. It'll have your clicky switches in it, but needs a set of your caps. Can't wait to get a set of these thick caps!

Great!

Feel free to post requests here for colour combos you like.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 06:40:00 »

Great!

Feel free to post requests here for colour combos you like.

Red on black would be the most perfect combo for my board. Although I'm not sure how many others would want that.

Are you going to do other base colours for caps? Potentially making a layout with inverse coloured modifiers?

Offline Matias

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 06:50:23 »
Red on black would be the most perfect combo for my board. Although I'm not sure how many others would want that.

Are you going to do other base colours for caps? Potentially making a layout with inverse coloured modifiers?

My current thinking is that we'd set up a group buy to gauge interest.  I'm open to making whatever people want, as long as we have enough to hit minimum order quantities.

If there's a particular combo that's really popular, we'd likely make extra and then turn that set into a standalone product that's available on an ongoing basis.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 07:32:56 »

My current thinking is that we'd set up a group buy to gauge interest.  I'm open to making whatever people want, as long as we have enough to hit minimum order quantities.

If there's a particular combo that's really popular, we'd likely make extra and then turn that set into a standalone product that's available on an ongoing basis.

Group buys, yes please!

Any idea on what your minimum quality will be yet?

Offline Matias

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 08:33:56 »

Group buys, yes please!

Any idea on what your minimum quality will be yet?

Not sure yet about MOQ — but if we get close to enough people, we can charge a little more to cover the cost of doing more than we need to hit the MOQ.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 08:39:51 »
I know I've said this elsewhere but I'm very interested in Alps keycaps. Just voicing my interest here as well so you know Matias :P.

Oh and Quiet Switches with an MX compatible pinout would be very slick too. I'm daydreaming of all the possibilities....the feel of a Matias switch with the layout some of the more exotic MX keyboards. :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 09:03:36 »
I've seen and heard conflicting reports about the Alps/MX two in one boards. I just bought a PCB that does this but I've heard a few people say having both on a PCB can be very tricky. I'm not an expert in PCB design though.

Offline Matias

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 09:03:40 »
I know I've said this elsewhere but I'm very interested in Alps keycaps. Just voicing my interest here as well so you know Matias :P.

Noted.  :)

Oh and Quiet Switches with an MX compatible pinout would be very slick too. I'm daydreaming of all the possibilities....the feel of a Matias switch with the layout some of the more exotic MX keyboards. :D

Well, you could support both on the same PCB if you did it like this...

40623-0

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 09:04:49 »
Marking my interest.

Offline Matias

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 09:08:14 »
I've seen and heard conflicting reports about the Alps/MX two in one boards. I just bought a PCB that does this but I've heard a few people say having both on a PCB can be very tricky. I'm not an expert in PCB design though.

Might be tricking if you're drilling boards by hand, in small quantities, but if a machine is doing it, should be okay.

BTW, the centre hole can be used for an LED backlight on our switches.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 09:08:27 »
I have not tried alps yet, but man you look like a nice company, and a fellow Canadian one  :thumb:

I am now tempted to try this one day!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline keymaster

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 12:01:21 »

Might be tricking if you're drilling boards by hand, in small quantities, but if a machine is doing it, should be okay.

BTW, the centre hole can be used for an LED backlight on our switches.

Yes! This is what we need, Matias.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 14:34:56 »

I have not tried alps yet, but man you look like a nice company, and a fellow Canadian one  :thumb:

I am now tempted to try this one day!

Amazing company! We had a tour/meet up at their place for our Toronto meetup!

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 13:06:58 »
>.< if alps wobble disappeared I would be in heaven.  :thumb:
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 21:33:59 »
So um....

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ergodox-pcbs-cases-electronics-and-assembly-services-t6972-60.html#p143625

Show Image

I'm now the happiest person on the planet :D :D :D :D :D

But what will you use for key caps?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 21:54:01 »
Edit: moved my comment to http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45483.msg1198281#msg1198281 where it seems to be a bit more on-topic. The rest of the keycaps discussion should probably also go over there. :-)
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 January 2014, 22:14:40 by jacobolus »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 00:52:48 »
So um....

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ergodox-pcbs-cases-electronics-and-assembly-services-t6972-60.html#p143625

Show Image

I'm now the happiest person on the planet :D :D :D :D :D

That is actually a coincidence due to the flippable PCB. I mentioned this in the ErgoDox thread as well, this is because the distance between the top pinholes in mirror config (Like the one for a flippable PCB eg. ErgoDox) is approximately the same as the distance between the two pins on the Alps switch.