Author Topic: [IC] GMK Abyssal  (Read 81995 times)

Offline Xanira

[IC] GMK Abyssal
« on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:00:05 »
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109426.0][img width=321 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/dxXg2XO.jpg[/img]

GMK Abyssal

“Prepare yourself to face the endless darkness with me.”

Design Inspiration.

GMK Abyssal is a keycap set designed and revolving around Arknights Character; Skadi.
More
I decided to work with Skadi because I adore her character design and illustrations involving her as well as the story she has.
Skadi in the game is a 6-star operator, but if you know a bit about the game you probably know that she is pretty difficult to find  broad use for.

Skadi

Skadi is often portrayed as a very mysterious, careless and cold character, based on how she acts towards others, but once you get to know her you will learn that the reason she acts in this cold unfriendly way towards others really is that she is afraid of losing the ones she cares about.
More
On the battlefield Skadi is extremely efficient, and is often described as inhuman due to her seemingly never-ending stamina and extreme power. She wields a giant sword capable of ripping anyone to pieces, which has led to rumors that she is not 100% human as is also explained in archive file1.
“She will more often try to execute operations single-handedly and leave her teammates to clean up her mess, which has fostered resentment.  Playing off her cold, sarcastic demeanor toward others and her relentlessness in battle, a rumor has emerged that she is part-demon.”
She is often talked about in a way that revolves around the depths of the ocean.

“Down beneath the vast blue sea, below the white waves that lap endlessly at the earth, lies all that I once held dear.”

“I'll show you the dance of the depths.”

“Who knows what lurks within the kelp forest?”

“When you've made the long journey through the dark up to the water's surface”

The design process.

Starting out; choosing colors based on her character design is it's own thing but choosing the proper tones, and making sure everything works well together is another thing.
More
Initially just after starting out I had a good idea of what I wanted from this set based on Skadi’s character design .
For the Alphas i went with a light grey/silver color that matches Skadi's silver hair really well and gives the set a very distinctive look.
For the modifiers I originally started out with a lighter neutral grey but ended up using a dark almost black grey with a cold blue undertone.
A color that really stands out in Skadi’s character design is the blue on her clothing/hat. I decided to use A similar blue for the legends, which really makes the legends stand out on a rather muted grey set and really brings it to life.

Kits

Base Kit

Numpad

Dark alphas

Spacebars

Novelties

Renders
refer to the kit renders for the most accurate colors

Rama u80

More

Rama Koyu

Nemui

J-02

More

Haus

Alpine65

Progress; Finalizing details with Vendors before the Group buy
More
I am currently working on the final details with the vendors before the group buy happens

Collabs

Keybee Metal Artisan
More

Vendors
US vendor: Vala Supply
CA vendor: Deskhero
EU Vendor: Mykeyboard
CN vendor: Zfrontier
SEA vendor: Zion studio
AU vendor: Dailyclack
KR vendor: KLC
UK vendor: Protozoa
JP vendor: Basekeys
SG vendor: Mecha

Forms

Discord server
https://discord.gg/nx2BjDprbK

im going to update the thread as i make updates to the set and add more renders (:
This is a interest check so Kitting, colors, novelties, etc. are subject to future change based on response I get from Google forms and replies.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 March 2023, 12:17:55 by Xanira »

Offline Xanira

Re: [IC] GMK Abyss
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:00:51 »
heyo heyo

Update 7/1/21
More
ive received ral colors and will be receiving pantone colors soon, im not happy with how the ral colors look so i hope pantones look better and more like what i want.

Update 12/1/21
More
New renders & signature added

Update 15/3/21
More
Updated renders

Update 22/3/21
More
i received final pantone color matching chips and decided to go with pantone 279 over 2727 due to 2727 looking warmer than expected.

Final things before GB:
More

Finalize color matching on my end

Get Vendors
Vendors:
US vendor: Vala Supply
Ca vendor: Deskhero
EU Vendor: Mykeyboard
CN vendor: Zfrontier
OCE vendor: Zionstudio
AU vendor: Dailyclack
KR vendor: KLC
UK vendor: Protozoa
JP vendor: Basekeys
SG vendor: Mecha

Metal Artisan collab

Get quotes

Run GB (in progress)

« Last Edit: Wed, 05 April 2023, 11:26:04 by Xanira »

Offline yoot

• none
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:01:47 »
Interesting colorscheme. GLWIC!

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:03:14 »
Isn't this a chinese game.
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline FinalEleven

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:04:59 »
Wondering why you chose hiragana for an Arknights character, a game made by a chinese company.

Offline Xanira

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:05:46 »

yea it is, gacha game released in 2019  :D

Offline Xanira

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:07:12 »
[...
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:27:17 by Xanira »

Offline Xanira

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:07:59 »
Interesting colorscheme. GLWIC!
yea lets see if ppl like it or not and thanks ^-^

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:13:09 »
There are several mistakes in your base kit because you used the Dakota Felder files which have some known errors.

Known Issues/required changes include:
- "Capslock" term to "Caps Lock"
- 321 on numpad, order is backwards
- Numpad plus sign is wrong line thickness, should be consistent with other symbols on numpad
- "PrtSc" to "Print" (optional)
- "Num lock" and "Scroll lock" to "Num" and "Scroll" (optional)
- Numpad to just mono legends (optional)

I won't assume this, but I really hope you have purchased the Pantone chips you listed so that you know how they look in person. This part of the color matching process is super important. Some of your Pantones could probably be substituted for GMK stock colors to save you on the pricing for using so many custom colors in your base kit.

I believe your last render is from keyboard simulator as well. Which isn't necessarily bad, but isn't very good either.

Personally, I think this idea could have waited a couple days/weeks before going into IC. Please consider taking a little more time to run your idea past a few people and have them proofread your IC before posting in the future.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:14:47 by Nicks Clicks »

Offline EURA

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:15:38 »
When someone posts an IC with a barely fixed Dakota Felder file.... That being said, I think your colors need a lot of tweaking, mainly because of the minimal value differences. I hope you were looking at the physical Pantones or had someone with the Pantone books help you while you decided on colors. The website for Pantone is not accurate to the physical swatches themselves, and if your monitor is uncalibrated, it's even less accurate. I see in your description that you want to purchase the plastic chips, but keep in mind that each chip is 20 USD and you have 5 colors. If you ended up needing to tweak all 5 colors because the physical color isn't to your liking, you may as well have just bought the Formula Guides. Have someone help you with choosing colors, and then update them. GLWIC
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:17:52 by EURA »

Offline Xanira

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:19:18 »
There are several mistakes in your base kit because you used the Dakota Felder files which have some known errors.

Known Issues/required changes include:
- "Capslock" term to "Caps Lock"
- 321 on numpad, order is backwards
- Numpad plus sign is wrong line thickness, should be consistent with other symbols on numpad
- "PrtSc" to "Print" (optional)
- "Num lock" and "Scroll lock" to "Num" and "Scroll" (optional)
- Numpad to just mono legends (optional)

I believe your last render is from keyboard simulator as well. Which isn't necessarily bad, but isn't very good either.

Personally, I think this idea could have waited a couple days/weeks before going into IC. Please consider taking a little more time to run your idea past a few people and have them proofread your IC before posting in the future.

i did all of the renders myself, though i did start out with the dakota files which after i found out that they werent the right dimensions i swapped the keycaps out for actual cherry profile caps so the issues listed still remain since i still use the legends. ill fix all of the things you mentioned and im getting pantone chips very soon to look at colors in person
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 February 2021, 14:29:29 by Xanira »

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:21:12 »
do you have any nude figurines of this character so i can have a proper reference?

Offline Xanira

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:21:15 »
When someone posts an IC with a barely fixed Dakota Felder file.... That being said, I think your colors need a lot of tweaking, mainly because of the minimal value differences. I hope you were looking at the physical Pantones or had someone with the Pantone books help you while you decided on colors. The website for Pantone is not accurate to the physical swatches themselves, and if your monitor is uncalibrated, it's even less accurate. I see in your description that you want to purchase the plastic chips, but keep in mind that each chip is 20 USD and you have 5 colors. If you ended up needing to tweak all 5 colors because the physical color isn't to your liking, you may as well have just bought the Formula Guides. Have someone help you with choosing colors, and then update them. GLWIC
noted, as mentioned before im trying to get pantone chips in hand as soon as  possible so ill be able to see for myself, i understand your concerns. and thanks :)

Offline Xanira

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:22:10 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:26:26 by Xanira »

Offline Xanira

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:22:58 »
do you have any nude figurines of this character so i can have a proper reference?
ohgod... i guess i can link some illustrations...

Offline Xanira

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:27:28 »
Wondering why you chose hiragana for an Arknights character, a game made by a chinese company.
anime... xD ill consider changing it if enough ppl are interested, remember to fill out google form

Offline maximize

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:32:07 »
I'm not sure if the designer of SA Abyss set ever wanted to make a GMK version, but out of courtesy you might consider asking them about it. (It was sold at Keyboard Therapy).

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:37:35 »
Scuffed IC  :(

Rip renders
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Xanira

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:38:15 »
I'm not sure if the designer of SA Abyss set ever wanted to make a GMK version, but out of courtesy you might consider asking them about it. (It was sold at Keyboard Therapy).
oh hecc, i didnt even consider that... ill make sure of that, thanks for noticing me xD

Offline Xanira

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:38:51 »

Rip renders
wait what... im really getting flamed today ;-;

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:42:07 »
keep in mind an sa set already ran a couple years ago also by the name of abyss

obligatory reserved and glwic

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:43:05 »

Rip renders

My friend, I am not flaming you. But compared to other ICs that I have seen it looks unruly  and weakly presented.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Xanira

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:44:15 »

Rip renders

My friend, I am not flaming you. But compared to other ICs that I have seen it looks unruly  and weakly presented.

i see u.u ill try to make it better  :thumb: thanks for the constructive criticism anyway (:

Offline Xanira

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:45:33 »
keep in mind an sa set already ran a couple years ago also by the name of abyss

obligatory reserved and glwic

yeaaaa i checked a old gmk ic with that name that seems to have died, thought i was noticed that theres a sa set with that name so ill either change the name or kill this project if people dont like it

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:47:17 »

Why choose hiragana.
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline Xanira

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:49:26 »

Why choose hiragana.

i just thought it fit well with the art style of the game... anime stuff. And idk about the cn version but in the worldwide version of the game its all in japanese.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 March 2021, 09:07:45 by Xanira »

Offline Xanira

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 15:11:33 »
Just for a smol update. I'm going to fix some of the legends that are incorrect, try doing some renderes without sub legends and see how how it looks without the purple  and the red since I got the impression that people think the colors are kind of a mess which I can totally understand and ive been considering myself as well.

Offline Sissy

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 17:13:31 »

Offline Pach

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 18:17:21 »

Offline Xanira

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 19:05:26 »
Show Image

well thats another naming problem xD...

Offline maximize

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 22:30:36 »
oh hecc, i didnt even consider that... ill make sure of that, thanks for noticing me xD

I noticed because I thought this set might be the remake of Abyss, but in cherry profile (which I would be all over). And I bet I'm not the only one!

Offline Xanira

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 00:23:08 »

I noticed because I thought this set might be the remake of Abyss, but in cherry profile (which I would be all over). And I bet I'm not the only one!
Ah I'm sorry for making you think that u.u

Offline FinalEleven

Re: [IC] GMK Abyssal
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 01:44:20 »
NGL, now I think of Kantai Collection with the name GMK Abyssal

Offline Xanira

Re: [IC] GMK Abyssal
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 01:59:18 »
NGL, now I think of Kantai Collection with the name GMK Abyssal
ah i guess ill have to think of something totally different T-T

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
Re: [IC] GMK Abyssal: Google forms/polls up
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 18:47:14 »
Any chance of a Rama Keycap  :-*

Offline krzank

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 19:05:52 »
I like dark alphas but ...
Can you add R3:tilde/graveaccent and R4:pipe/backslash?

Offline KT-afk

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 03:52:26 »
Possible to maybe make the pictures in the new google form bigger or click to view? A bit hard to compare

Offline sirieous

• help
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 04:55:12 »
Consider adding a picture of the inspiration source. GLWIC

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 09:42:02 »
Misread this as "GMK Abysmal". Never mind, carry on.

Offline Araset

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 10:00:44 »

Offline Xanira

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 11:34:56 »
ill keep that in mind, noted ^-^

Offline Xanira

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 11:35:37 »

Offline Xanira

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 11:36:24 »
Misread this as "GMK Abysmal". Never mind, carry on.
im sorry to disappoint xD

Offline Xanira

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 11:37:33 »
Consider adding a picture of the inspiration source. GLWIC
ah yea i figured people might want that instead of having too look it up, ill be adding that ^-^thanks  for mentioning.

Offline Xanira

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 11:40:38 »

ill keep that in mind ^-^
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 March 2021, 08:42:50 by Xanira »

Offline Xanira

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 14:51:12 »
Possible to maybe make the pictures in the new google form bigger or click to view? A bit hard to compare
I think you can right click and open picture or something, tell me if it doesn't work.

Offline pokeballer21

Re: [IC] GMK Abyssal: Updated renders/kits
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 11:22:16 »
I'd love a base kit with no sub legends but the colors are nice

Offline Xanira

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 07:17:58 »
thank you ^-^ I had a poll up for the sub legends where it was about a 27% wanting no sub legends and the other 73 wanting sub legends so I decided to go with sub legends but Ill reconsider it if there is enough demand. I appreciate the kind words <3
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 January 2022, 17:27:22 by Xanira »

Offline kidgoth

• imagine living outside of the US
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 09:18:22 »
That nemui render looks cold. The nemui board on IC rn doesn't have that glow blue blocker, was that from the last private runs?

Offline yh

• hyurinkb
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 11:18:32 »
really love the blue and black of the novelties, that lighting render is insanely cool too! GLWIC!!