Author Topic: Ten Key DIY Help  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Parzi

• Formerly 'Prezi'
Ten Key DIY Help
« on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 14:42:24 »
Hello there, I am very new to the DIY world of mechanical keyboards. I am currently building a ErgoDox keyboard with a 3D printed case which I think is turning out very nice. I am sad though that I will be giving up my numpad for this awesome keyboard. I am trying to figure out the best way to go about building out a 10 key for work along side my ErgoDox. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. If this is in the wrong spot on the site please let me know so I can move it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 August 2021, 14:45:29 by Prezi »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Ten Key DIY Help
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 16:41:04 »
Welcome to geekhack :)

The ergodox has column staggered keys like a ten key so why not just put the numbers etc on a layer?  Then either you can hold an FN key on the other side to use them or tap it to swap to that layer until you press it again.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Parzi

• Formerly 'Prezi'
Re: Ten Key DIY Help
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 17:20:17 »
Welcome to geekhack :)

The ergodox has column staggered keys like a ten key so why not just put the numbers etc on a layer?  Then either you can hold an FN key on the other side to use them or tap it to swap to that layer until you press it again.

This is actually my immediate solution. I was going to turn the right 15ish keys into a 10 key when I hold down a button on the left hand. But I also am having a blast building this first keyboard so I know I will want to do a second one and thought a super small 10 key might be a fun second project. :)

Edit: Also thank you for the welcome. haha