Author Topic: All Of This For a Complete Set of Stepped Kishsaver Caps (+shipping)  (Read 4502 times)

Offline 127001

• Trade Count: (0)
127001's classified Thread.

For Trade:

IBM Model M 1390572

I just got this today in a lot of 4. Two had damaged bodies and are being used for parts. This is one of the one that was salvageable I cleaned up the body quickly and replaced the missing caps with ones from the loaners. All the keys seem to work.

I have not had a chance to test this with a teensy yet so I can not guarantee that it will work. I'll get around to it if it's a big concern to whomever would like to trade or I'll throw it one of the loaner boards with it and odds are one of those controllers will work. I haven't thoroughly cleaned the caps or the interior of the board either so that'll be left up to whomever gets it.

I'm looking to trade for another Model M part number. IBM not Lexmark. I'm missing most part numbers so if you think you have one I don't you're probably right. If you have something else that's interesting and of similar value let me know and maybe it'll work out.

DasKeyboard Blue MX

I have this keyboard up for sale or trade. It's a DasKeyboard with MX Blue's.

The keyboard has a few issues: One switch is broken (pictured), One key is missing ( the one with the broken switch), the keys are very worn and have a lot of shine as it was used a lot. I've disassembled it and clean out the crud for the most part. Whoever get's it will receive it disassembled as there most likely someone will be either repairing it or using it for parts. The keyboard work before a disassembled it and the broken switch was damaged over a year ago. I don't really have the time to fix it myself and it's likely that it will need to caps. I just don't feel like investing any time into this board. There is some minor damage (pictured) to the underside of the face plate, I'm not sure how it happened but I don't think it really affects anything. Let me know if you are interested.
Issues:

For Sale:

N/A

Want-To-Buy:

N/A
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 December 2013, 15:49:18 by 127001 »

Offline 127001

Re: [WTT] IBM Model M for IBM Model M
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 17:47:40 »
Completed Transactions

Trades:

IBM Model M 1390120 traded for IBM Model M 1389262 (h2gofast):
More

Sales:

N/A

Purchases:

N/A
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 November 2013, 22:01:36 by 127001 »

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 01:32:47 »
Don't mind me asking, but why are you interested in these? Most of these models are practically the same as each other, and for many of the terminals the price is less than shipping.

I can understand someone who wants to try a different layout or someone who's into collecting keycaps, but it seems an unnecessary waste of money to try sourcing each individual IBM model number.

Adding a thread for completed sections.

Also Bump.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline 127001

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 07:48:18 »
Don't mind me asking, but why are you interested in these? Most of these models are practically the same as each other, and for many of the terminals the price is less than shipping.

I can understand someone who wants to try a different layout or someone who's into collecting keycaps, but it seems an unnecessary waste of money to try sourcing each individual IBM model number.

I'm interested in models that have slight variations from one another. A different key cap, an attached cable, a speaker ect.

I studied architecture for several years a find it very beautiful see something represented in series. I like to be able to see the evolution of an idea over time. Eventually I will have the displayed in such a fashion.

I want to add more to the series and I already have this one in the collection. If someone wants to get rid of a 5din or rj45 board and get a really good 1390120 in exchange the I think that they'll get a really good deal out of it. All I ask is that it be original with all the caps and badges.

tl;dr
Gotta catch them all ; we all buy stupid ****

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 07:54:04 »
I studied architecture for several years a find it very beautiful see something represented in series. I like to be able to see the evolution of an idea over time. Eventually I will have the displayed in such a fashion.

Interesting idea, but the Model M peaked early with the 1390131 and went downhill after that, in my opinion. And really, the external appearance varied only minutely, the changes were 95% internal.

If you want to see a fascinating evolution, look to the Model F series.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline 127001

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 08:02:08 »

Interesting idea, but the Model M peaked early with the 1390131 and went downhill after that, in my opinion. And really, the external appearance varied only minutely, the changes were 95% internal.

If you want to see a fascinating evolution, look to the Model F series.

I am looking into the Model F evolution as well. And the whole collection has a beam spring as a starting point.
I'm interested in that 5%. Small changes are beautiful, elegant, subtle, and are what lead to big ideas.

Offline h2gofast

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 09:39:33 »
How's the key action on this.  I've noticed that some old M's (even one's with dust covers) must have been in dusty environments.  This can cause a subtle scratchy feeling on the keys.  Can you tell if there is any of this?

Would you be interested in a 42H or 52G Model M's? 
I also have some terminal cable Model M's in 104 and 122 key if you're interested.

Offline 127001

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 10:16:19 »
How's the key action on this.  I've noticed that some old M's (even one's with dust covers) must have been in dusty environments.  This can cause a subtle scratchy feeling on the keys.  Can you tell if there is any of this?

Would you be interested in a 42H or 52G Model M's? 
I also have some terminal cable Model M's in 104 and 122 key if you're interested.

As far as I could tell the dust cover must have been on the board for at least 10 years and I would image longer. It was pretty well sealed in that regard. I haven't really properly used this board since I got it, only to test that it works, so I haven't really gotten a feel for the keys. It seemed in excellent shape to me though.

When I get home later today I'll give it a thorough once over and let you know how they feel to the best of my ability.

Offline h2gofast

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 06:40:12 »
thanks,  if it takes an effort to figure out if they feel scratchier than another Model M, they're not scratchy. 

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 06:59:00 »
I'm interested in that 5%. Small changes are beautiful, elegant, subtle, and are what lead to big ideas.

I suppose that my point is that IBM did a lot of work on the front end and, in the 1980s, usually got it right.

In my opinion, after the 1390131 the small changes were ugly, inelegant, and cheap.

After you have disassembled a Model F, you pretty much lose interest in the M.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 07:11:19 »
Overall, Cool collection theme!
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 09:23:04 »
After I dissembled a Model F, I realized the true genius of Kishy, hata (did I spell him right), and anyone brave enough to attack a Model F and mod it.

I suppose that my point is that IBM did a lot of work on the front end and, in the 1980s, usually got it right.

In my opinion, after the 1390131 the small changes were ugly, inelegant, and cheap.

After you have disassembled a Model F, you pretty much lose interest in the M.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline 127001

Re: 127001's Classified Thread
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 22:53:13 »
Trade being made with h2gofast. Thanks.

Offline 127001

Re: [WTT] IBM Model M for IBM Model M (or something)
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 22:18:34 »
Added a new Item up for trade :D

Also,
I know people have voiced opinions that most Model M's are the same but I have to say that after having put a bunch of them on display I can not believe how different each one is. It's really fascinating the amount of work, the number of people, and the number of organization that amount to the minute changes that all add up into a complete different keyboard. It's hard to really explain in pictures. I hope people can see it in person some day.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 22:28:01 »
actually, since I own a few myself and have been cleaning them, I do agree that the internals change in small ways. (Dunno how to describe since I don't know anything about pcbs). But I don't think they ever changed the mould for the casing; these are really very similar.

As I am not an engineer I have little interest in whether there is one layout or another inside. To me no layout is ever an easy or elegant layout. But I suppose you, 127001, are an engineer and to you these things make sense. I can imagine changes in circuit board design would make the keyboard have less conflicts or use less power or whatever that engineers will be very happy about, while non-engineers will never know because they won't know that the PCB's lifespan has just been extended from 50 million keystrokes to 100 million, or that power consumption has been decreased by 10% on an item that probably added less than 0.01% to their utility bills.

Added a new Item up for trade :D

Also,
I know people have voiced opinions that most Model M's are the same but I have to say that after having put a bunch of them on display I can not believe how different each one is. It's really fascinating the amount of work, the number of people, and the number of organization that amount to the minute changes that all add up into a complete different keyboard. It's hard to really explain in pictures. I hope people can see it in person some day.

Offline 127001

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 22:37:18 »
Truthfully I haven't compared the PCB's at all :P. What I'm talking about is from a purely exterior standpoint

Also I'm no engineer; I study Networking and Systems Administration. My job is mostly programming.

I did study architecture for 3 years. I think that this is where my view of these things is coming from. It's about how the lines on the body, and keys change. Of the 10 boards I have on display right now not one of them has the same body. In addition all of those are completely different from the one I'm using right now. I love it!

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 23:56:06 »
Whoops you ain't an engineer and whoops you were talking about the casings!

It takes an architect to figure this out. I never really paid attention to the external lines or whatever you call them. They all look the same to me, and they are equally annoying because when painting it is hard to paint them properly!

As for keys, I've long since mixed up my keycaps and don't know which ones belong to which board anymore... too many mix and match dye jobs. So there is no way I can do a display of my keyboards that would satisfy any purist.

Can you show us photos of your collection? In chronological order if possible? I want to carefully examine and compare the differences. I own mostly the same things, darn it, and never bothered to take photos when they came to me dirty, so now lots of paint jobs and dye jobs and swapped casings later, I can't tell how any of them looked originally anymore.

Truthfully I haven't compared the PCB's at all :P. What I'm talking about is from a purely exterior standpoint

Also I'm no engineer; I study Networking and Systems Administration. My job is mostly programming.

I did study architecture for 3 years. I think that this is where my view of these things is coming from. It's about how the lines on the body, and keys change. Of the 10 boards I have on display right now not one of them has the same body. In addition all of those are completely different from the one I'm using right now. I love it!

Offline 127001

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 05:17:02 »
There's a link to my collection in my signature, it has most of them and the detail potatos in chronological order. I'll try to take some better ones later ; maybe make a gif to show the differences.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 08:28:22 »
Looking at your collection, I can see that I lack the top two (are these the M15 and the M2?) and the bottommost beam spring. Yeah, I should be very happy. M15 and Beam Spring aren't within my budget to collect anyway. I thought when you were talking about lines you meant the groves in the plastic casing. These guys are darn hard to clean and even harder to paint evenly.

There's a link to my collection in my signature, it has most of them and the detail potatos in chronological order. I'll try to take some better ones later ; maybe make a gif to show the differences.

Offline 127001

Re: [WTT] IBM Model M & DasKeyboard for IBM Model M (or something)
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 15:10:12 »
Added a DasKeyboard up for trade or sale.

Offline 127001

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 19:49:50 »
bump.

Offline 127001

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 18:08:24 »
Bump.
These are going to go for cheap.

Offline 127001

Re: All Of This For a Complete Set of Stepped Kishsaver Caps
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 15:48:45 »
Changed some terms :P
 Must pay shipping.