Author Topic: Windows 10 Update thoughts and questions...  (Read 119106 times)

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
Windows 10 Update thoughts and questions...
« on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 20:02:42 »
Seeing it is right around the corner I was just wondering how many Windows users are going to do the upgrade to 10 right away.

Sometimes I wait a few months after release before installing a new version.  This one seems like it has had a long preview though, and people seem to prefer using 10.  The fact that it is free (kinda.. you have to have invested in Windows already) also makes it tempting.  I haven't tried the preview, other than just not feeling like going through the trouble... I figured I would just wait for the final release.

I have a few SSDs coming that were on sale and I am planning on doing a Raid 0 array for the new OS, because upgrading a windows os version over an old one on a hard disk always seems to cause problems.   :rolleyes:  Also when I wipe my OS drive for a fresh install no matter how much stuff I back up and save, I always end up losing something important.  So I am thinking of just using a new partition on the array and keeping this disks data for a while until I know I have everything I need from it.

I am not sure but did they drop the "live tiles" thing all together?  I never use them personally and would not miss them.

Any thoughts on upgrading to windows 10 right away.... or later?

Do you think they will release an ISO or force people to use some upgrade application?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Windows 10 Update thoughts and questions...
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 23:05:32 »
I've been told to get a new PC for work when Dell starts selling them with Windows 10.

So yeah - pretty much right away.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 23:57:06 »
Last I heard, live tiles were going to be in the start menu.

Probably they will release an ISO, it just makes things so much easier.

Yes, installing fresh is always a good idea. Rather than keeping old drives, I usually just make a disk image of the old one, and shove it into storage until I'm sure I've got everything I want. Most of my stuff is on a separate data drive anyway, so it's not as though there's much to lose.

I probably won't upgrade my Windows drive immediately myself -- I'll wait and try out something my dad has upgraded first.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 06:45:27 »
Installing over old, only brings bugs and infections with it.

As for 10,
Yes, it has live tiles, but you can resize the start menu, it no longer takes over your entire screen. 2 months ago, I was beginning to worry this would be a flop, but in the last month or so, it's really come along and now makes Win7 feel old (8 and 8.1 as well!). Seriously, it's shocking how old it makes them feel. I dare say I really like this OS. It has a nice look and feel, with good underpinnings. The UI changes made it far more intuitive and the new Action Center is actually useful and handy, it's one of my favorite changes. I think many who switch are going to end up with the opinion that this is one of the best MS has done.

Pretty much everything I have either already does, or will have 10, other than the laptop that is incapable. A bunch of 2nd gen Core I series (usually with hybrid graphics) can't go beyond Win8.0, MS has spent a long time fix it, but can't seem to.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 07:51:53 »
Installing over old, only brings bugs and infections with it.

I feel the same way and only do fresh installs, but both my kids have Dell Inspirion laptops with pre-installed OS (no disc, just a "recovery partition" or whatever it is called), and I can't afford retail.

Does the free upgrade/download/whatever ride on top of the existing install, and/or (I am guessing that this is true:) will it format over the recovery partition, so that I can't revert back to 7 if something goes wrong?

Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 10:32:16 »

Pretty much everything I have either already does, or will have 10, other than the laptop that is incapable. A bunch of 2nd gen Core I series (usually with hybrid graphics) can't go beyond Win8.0, MS has spent a long time fix it, but can't seem to.

I have heard that 10 can be run on a ton of machines, even raspberry pi.  They must have done a lot to optimize the OS and stripped out a lot of the fat.  That makes it appealing to everyone.  Maybe I can even dust off my ancient netbook and give it a shot with 10.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 14:18:16 »
I wasn't a beta tester (no will power and lack of time).  I will be adopting day 1 though.  I currently run windows 8.1 pro.  I don't miss 7 at all really.  At work I use windows 7 and XP embedded still.  Doubt that will change for quite some time.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 14:48:30 »
I've been using it for the past couple of months and it's pretty solid. It's just as stable as 8.1 with the UI tweaks that are better suited for desktops. There's a few bugs that I've noticed but I'm not on the super latest release so they very well could be fixed.

Offline fishcola

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 18:23:33 »
I'm upgrading immediately since I missed out on the ultra-cheap (still not free) windows 8 upgrade MS offered early in 8's release. There probably will be bugs both from the win7-10 transition and the fact that it'll be the first formal release, but my windows machine is only for games and browsing, and I fear Microsoft will start charging for it after they conclude that they've given enough users an incentive to upgrade...

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 21:00:11 »
I was curious and browsing around the FAQ on the Microsoft site.  There was a comment there saying that they will provide an ISO for offline installation,  I hope this is true.  Hoping that is available day one.  My only hesitation is if they make me try to install it over my current 8.1 install by using some "easy upgrade" application or utility or whatever from within my current Windows.  I just want to burn a disc reboot and install it clean.

Offline tbc

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 21:37:20 »
what's preventing people from using the reset option in windows 8 and then doing the upgrade path?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline MajorMajor

• Mechanical Keyboard Enthusiast
    • Coding Supply
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 23:47:32 »
Looking forward to a clean install, but only after I get my new SSD.
TKL / Clears / Dvorak / Flipped Space for Life / Best Programming Keyboards

Offline fishcola

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 00:06:54 »
I was curious and browsing around the FAQ on the Microsoft site.  There was a comment there saying that they will provide an ISO for offline installation,  I hope this is true.

I hope it's true too!*but* they provided win7 isos which was very useful for me or anyone who deals with multi os setups, but in recent times i found that i had to go the extra mile to find the same isos, and the microsoft mirrors i'd initially used were no longer available... don't mean to be a tinfoil hat guy, but that's the reason i'm jumping on this "free" upgrade :D

Offline nothing4me

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 00:22:14 »
I actually want to install the new Visual Studio but I'm holding out for Windows 10 so I can do a clean install. Too much work to setup VS then having to redo it  :confused:

Offline fishcola

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 00:33:53 »
MS is rolling out an editor called visual studio code, but it's an editor and not an ide. if you're a student, i highly recommend googling Microsoft Dreamspark; you can get a free copy of the latest VS professional version so long as you register with a school email account FWIW.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 01:03:55 »
With Visual Studio 2015, which went RTM on July 20, there's a full featured community edition for non-enterprise use, so no need to apply for any special programs if you're a hobbyist developer. I'm really excited about .NET 5 and DNX (.NET Execution Environment). You'll be able to develop and deploy native cross-platform apps to Windows, Linux, and OS/X--no runtime installation needed. MS has really embraced open source as well, which is a refreshing change (.NET 5 is open source, as is a lot of VS 2015 itself, including the Roslyn compiler).

About Windows 10, my favorite features are:

- return of the start menu, better than ever with resizing and live tiles.
- Running Windows Universal apps (formerly Metro/Modern) as regular resizable, overlappable Windows. The joke I heard from the build conference is that 8 should have been named Window 8.
- Virtual desktops available natively, and keyboard shortcuts to navigate them.
- New Microsoft Edge standards-based browser to jettison all the legacy Internet Exploder B.S.. It'll be nice for Chrome to have some real competition again, since Google is feeling kind of dictatorial these days.
- (Best of all) Breaking from the monolithic periodic release model, and instead continuously releasing feature enhancements through Windows update.

What I've read about the pricing is it will be free for the first year to those licensed for Windows 7 and up. If you're building a new PC you'll need to buy it (OEM version, at least), as would those wanting to upgrade after the first year or from an older version of Windows. There is supposed to be a way to do a clean install with the free upgrade version of 10. I think you need to get your upgrade code, then use that while clean installing.

It really feels like a new, agile Microsoft these days, and I hope their new strategies really pay off for them and consumers.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 01:49:35 »
I have heard that 10 can be run on a ton of machines, even raspberry pi.  They must have done a lot to optimize the OS and stripped out a lot of the fat.  That makes it appealing to everyone.  Maybe I can even dust off my ancient netbook and give it a shot with 10.
I have it on a netbook, it runs well enough, faster than 7. Throw as much ram as it allows and call it good.  Don't bother with a fast SSD, netbooks lack the processing to take advantage of the fast transfer rates.

As for the Pi, it's only the Pi 2, and it's a special (free) version of Win10 (which is closer to Windows RT, I'm sure).

Does the free upgrade/download/whatever ride on top of the existing install, and/or (I am guessing that this is true:) will it format over the recovery partition, so that I can't revert back to 7 if something goes wrong?
They will allow you to download an ISO and do a fresh install. I'm not sure how it will work though, you may have to register and get a code, or call and activate.

I was curious and browsing around the FAQ on the Microsoft site.  There was a comment there saying that they will provide an ISO for offline installation,  I hope this is true.  Hoping that is available day one.  My only hesitation is if they make me try to install it over my current 8.1 install by using some "easy upgrade" application or utility or whatever from within my current Windows.  I just want to burn a disc reboot and install it clean.
See above, but beware, it will probably invalidate your old code.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 17:59:23 »
Been using it at work. Get it. It's freaking spectacular. However; give it a few weeks. you will be a happy panda.

And no i cant share Screen shots. Microsoft would have my head. (seriously, I had to sign a freaking contract)
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 18:10:27 »
People Love the "clean" install but windows 10 make it very easy to upgrade. I didnt do a clean install on my work PC and everything went "ok" there were bugs at the start, but were patched. I will not be doing a clean install at home and will report my finding to everyone here.

Also I don't have a lot of software on my home PC. Just games, MS office, iTunes, etc. no custom stuff. At work...Well that's a different story.
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline oledome

• not batman
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 19:07:49 »
I'll probably wait and see how well / badly it does with the games I own.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 19:29:20 »
I'm excited. Hoping the install wont recognise my fake Win 7 install...

On another note, this has been aware to pretty much everyone who has a windows PC for what, 3 months?

An email went out today from the head of the Service Desk at my work asking if it would work with our remote access software.

A day. One. Day. Before. Release.

What the ****. Tomorrow night is going to be fun.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 19:34:07 »
I'm excited. Hoping the install wont recognise my fake Win 7 install...

On another note, this has been aware to pretty much everyone who has a windows PC for what, 3 months?

An email went out today from the head of the Service Desk at my work asking if it would work with our remote access software.

A day. One. Day. Before. Release.

What the ****. Tomorrow night is going to be fun.
Just so you know its being released in batches and not in one go, most likely won't get it until next week :x Also unless they changed it again its been documented a few times it will see the license as fake, and put the watermark on.
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 02:58:32 »
I'm thinking of upgrading but am worried about my Steam folder and save files etc... And any experience upgrading 7-10 with steam and iTunes? I don't want to have to download all my steam ****e again and sort out iTunes AGAIN

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 05:47:24 »
I'm thinking of upgrading but am worried about my Steam folder and save files etc... And any experience upgrading 7-10 with steam and iTunes? I don't want to have to download all my steam ****e again and sort out iTunes AGAIN
Not with windows 10 will do later on this week but for windows 8 upgrade I did it was fine nothing changed from 7 to 8 but that said my steam and iTunes are on separate drives you can back up the games on steam if your worried but otherwise I doubt it will changed anything at all
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
More

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 06:18:17 »
Not with windows 10 will do later on this week but for windows 8 upgrade I did it was fine nothing changed from 7 to 8 but that said my steam and iTunes are on separate drives you can back up the games on steam if your worried but otherwise I doubt it will changed anything at all

yeah same here, but I just wanted to make sure... I can't update it atm anyway so I'm guessing I've got some funky **** hardware or something?

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 06:48:27 »

yeah same here, but I just wanted to make sure... I can't update it atm anyway so I'm guessing I've got some funky **** hardware or something?
Much also with the update although it's out today again mostly everyone will be getting it in waves over the next two weeks so I would expect it to be later this week anyway :x
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
More

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 07:07:37 »
If you don't want to wait you can download it from their website.
That's what I'm doing.
At 97% now
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 07:18:00 »
That's what I'm doing.
At 97% now

Is that for only a fresh install or an update version or what?

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 07:36:07 »
That's what I'm doing.
At 97% now

Ahh cool that was hidden away then also got it on download now I'll let you know if  narwhal does not first :x
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
More

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 07:39:31 »
That's what I'm doing.
At 97% now

It works as an update version.
You can choose to do a fresh install with it though.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 07:41:07 »
My twitter has not blown up with complaints (I follow a lot of tech people/engineers), so this is a good sign. Granted most of them are in Unix or OS X all day...but still.

Personally I will wait a couple of Tuesdays before I install Windows 10. I've been using the insider program on a VM at work and yes, it really is nice. Will update over my 8.1 installation.

People are already requesting enterprise licenses at work...public product just came out today  :confused: * long sigh

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 07:47:12 »
Wicked thanks for that link, downloading now... excited to be able to have a properly new Windows, been using 7 since launch ^^

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 08:52:41 »

take a guess what didn't happen....

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 08:58:55 »
Show Image

take a guess what didn't happen....
I just want to say LMAO it's like windows going something happened but screw you if you want to know why XD
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
More

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 09:00:10 »
I'm in. And it's pretty good. Glad I can download some apps that I have on my Windows Phone onto my PC as well without it being "LOL WHY DIDN'T YOU GET A TOUCHSCREEN PC *******"

And I'm using IE on a home PC for the first time in about 12 years

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 09:00:16 »
That was after it had 100% downloaded btw... starting again...

Offline Belfong

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 09:00:39 »
crap.. I am 88% complete. Will I see what you see?

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 09:05:34 »
I'm in. And it's pretty good. Glad I can download some apps that I have on my Windows Phone onto my PC as well without it being "LOL WHY DIDN'T YOU GET A TOUCHSCREEN PC *******"

Woah woah woah didn't you say you're was a none genuine one did it active or do you have a derpy water mark also using IE it's the apocalypse next you'll tell me you enjoy using Norton anti virus :c
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
More

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 09:10:11 »

Woah woah woah didn't you say you're was a none genuine one did it active or do you have a derpy water mark also using IE it's the apocalypse next you'll tell me you enjoy using Norton anti virus :c

Yep. I got no watermark. Admittedly I've only been using it for about an hour now, but nothing during installation or since.

And IE isn't that bad. The 6 months I've been using my windows phone haven't been torturous, and I think it's pretty nice looking.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 09:12:04 »
typical that a brummy would get in -_-

29%

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 09:17:04 »
@katkushin ahh cool well I shall have to see about the browser

@baldgye lol 18% here on my desktop gotta do the laptop I have then
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
More

Offline Belfong

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 09:17:05 »
finished downloading!!! now creating media.............
not bad for a puny 6mbps line.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 09:18:00 »
The only thing I dislike about Windows 10 so far (been using the beta for a while now) is the lack of an option to ignore certain updates. Like graphics drivers. Driver updates should be made "optional" as they have been on all previous versions of Windows. You can only "sort of" turn off automatic updates...meaning you can choose when to restart your PC to apply the updates. I realize this is supposed to be "Windows-as-a-service" and that they want you to have the latest updates at all times. But I really don't need Microsoft updating my graphics driver, when I always get the latest driver direct from Nvidia.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 09:20:36 »
I believe that there is a way (from Microsoft) to do just that.  I don't have the time ATM to do that.  I will try to find it later.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 09:21:24 »
The only thing I dislike about Windows 10 so far (been using the beta for a while now) is the lack of an option to ignore certain updates. Like graphics drivers. Driver updates should be made "optional" as they have been on all previous versions of Windows. You can only "sort of" turn off automatic updates...meaning you can choose when to restart your PC to apply the updates. I realize this is supposed to be "Windows-as-a-service" and that they want you to have the latest updates at all times. But I really don't need Microsoft updating my graphics driver, when I always get the latest driver direct from Nvidia.

I'm told there is a tool you can download from MS that will change windows updates to work more like win7... but I'm not sure how it works or where you get it from as I've yet to run the OS for any time (tried the beta for a day or so)...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 09:26:13 »
I believe that there is a way (from Microsoft) to do just that.  I don't have the time ATM to do that.  I will try to find it later.

I'm told there is a tool you can download from MS that will change windows updates to work more like win7... but I'm not sure how it works or where you get it from as I've yet to run the OS for any time (tried the beta for a day or so)...

Ah, I hadn't seen that. It's here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Thanks!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Belfong

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 09:37:12 »
I don't understand why Setup need to check for updates? This process takes longer than downloading the whole thing, grrr.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 09:40:57 »
Think I know why something went wrong, I only have 3.24 gb free on my c drive QQ

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 10:10:59 »
So it turns out I can't use Cortana unless I sign in with a Microsoft account which forces me to use the email-password every time I start the PC >:D

Other than that it seems like a good OS.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 10:31:03 »
Finallly got my install working - took so much work :(