Author Topic: Windows 10 nag screen  (Read 16622 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Windows 10 nag screen
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 14:58:46 »
I tried 10 on my tablet (no use to spy on) and didn't like it so reverted to 8.1 and guess what?  My free upgrade is still waiting for me!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Altis

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 15:41:09 »
Since having sold my T450S (sadly) since I really don't need a laptop that often and have one for work, I popped the drive back in an old Dell Inspiron 1525 from 2008 (hello Core 2 Duo and poor fan control!).

Since this computer isn't that quick, and the battery is very near completely useless, I noticed that the way that Windows is constantly downloading/installing updates and scanning for viruses makes the computer pretty well unusable most of the time. It also eats up my mobile data if I'm on the go and it would seem there's nothing that I can do to stop it.

As a result, that computer is either going back to Windows 7 or going to Linux (likely a derivative of Ubuntu, such as ChaletOS for its sheer beauty).

I'm also holding off on moving from Windows 7 on my gaming rig even though it has the power and bandwidth to deal with Windows 10 endless tasks. This is just more for the principle -- Windows 10 doesn't really seem to anything better for me at the moment. Sure I like the new start menu more, different scaling for different monitors, and the improved snapping/multiple desktops is very nice (more so for a laptop)... but it still just seems like I don't like the direction Microsoft is taking with their forced update scheme, and lack of control over processes.

I'm also not one to get caught up in things like the cloud, social media plugins, etc, at least for now. I know that's where so many services and software suites are heading, but it just seems like now everything wants to be so involved in your computing experience.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 15:08:13 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ