Author Topic: Let's talk about comics  (Read 12784 times)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Let's talk about comics
« on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 11:22:33 »
Didn't see any recent/ongoing thread for this, so I wanted to start one up.

Right now I'm reading a handful of books, after taking an 8 month break. Going to pick up some upcoming trades and catch up on some Indies that I missed also. I have a short box just over half full of issues I need to catch up on.

So what are you reading, pulling, enjoying, watching, etc.

Just general comic chit chat

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Let's talk about comics
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 11:25:46 »
I strongly recommend reading The Mask. It's got its ups and downs, but the ups more than make up for it. There are different people who wear the mask, and my favorite is definitely not Stanley Ipkiss.
Currently slugging through Omnibus 2. This current wearer is pretty dull.  :(

Also, I always tout my favorite western comic: Usagi Yojimbo. That artist devotes so much of his energy and soul into that comic and I don't think it gets the popularity it deserves.

Thirdly, if you want to get into Deadpool, Daniel Way's collected trades are very, very good.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 February 2016, 11:28:23 by romevi »

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 11:28:27 »
I haven't heard of the mask. I'll look it up and check it out. I am incredibly far behind on East of West, and TMNT right now, but once I catch up on those I'll see about picking it up.

I have read so much deadpool its unreal. Overall never really enjoyed his books, but I think it's because I read so many at once. I binged for a good few weeks a couple years back. Now I'll read him in spurts and its much more tolerable.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 11:31:00 »
I haven't heard of the mask. I'll look it up and check it out. I am incredibly far behind on East of West, and TMNT right now, but once I catch up on those I'll see about picking it up.

I have read so much deadpool its unreal. Overall never really enjoyed his books, but I think it's because I read so many at once. I binged for a good few weeks a couple years back. Now I'll read him in spurts and its much more tolerable.

Which TMNT are you doing? I didn't think much of the Mirage comics the first time, but rereading them with a different mindset I actually like it. That said, I think IDW's is much better.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 11:33:36 »
IDW. I'm about 12 or so issues behind right now. I was really enjoying it before my break though, and am looking forward to getting back into it.

I still have to catch up on the "big" superhero books first, but I should be caught up fully in a week or two.

I just caught up with batman, and #49 was an incredible issue. So far, the post endgame run was really enjoyable. It's unfortunate DC is gonna be rebooting this summer.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 11:37:46 »
Also my pull list this week is mainly marvel, but:

Avengers Standoff #1
Power Man and Iron Fist #1
Amazing Spiderman #8
Extraordinary Xmen #7
Mighty Thor #4

I may be dropping ANAD Avengers, but still not sure. Its just not the same as Hickman's, and idk if any run will ever compare.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 11:45:33 »
IDW. I'm about 12 or so issues behind right now. I was really enjoying it before my break though, and am looking forward to getting back into it.

I still have to catch up on the "big" superhero books first, but I should be caught up fully in a week or two.

I just caught up with batman, and #49 was an incredible issue. So far, the post endgame run was really enjoyable. It's unfortunate DC is gonna be rebooting this summer.

Wait, they're rebooting again? I'm caught up only up to the third trade with The New 52 Batman.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 11:48:06 »
That's the unofficial rumor right now. Supposed to happen in June, and supposed to make things matter in the cinematic universe. Idk if that will become the same as Earth-1 or what, but its mainly rumor right now. Nobody knows if it will be a true reboot, or just a renumbering yet.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 11:49:04 »
Only comics I ever got into are the new Invader Zim ones :D. I should grab the last few issues and catch up.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 11:59:16 »
Only comics I ever got into are the new Invader Zim ones :D. I should grab the last few issues and catch up.

Never was into comics but god damn was Invader Zim a good tv show, I miss that. :(
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline hullo8d

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 12:00:02 »
currently re-reading Sandman and Nichijou

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 12:06:38 »
I fell off of comics a couple of years ago, but have been meaning to get back on. First on my catch-up list:

Saga
Rachel Rising
Lumberjanes

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 12:11:11 »
I bought a Captain America comic a few years ago and didn't touch it at all (don't know why). Found it the other day, but no idea where I put it. It's from the 2013 (?) series so nothing impressive.

The UK never really have a comic culture, or at least I never did and no one I've ever know did.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 12:34:56 »
I fell off of comics a couple of years ago, but have been meaning to get back on. First on my catch-up list:

Saga
Rachel Rising
Lumberjanes

Totally forgot about Saga. Haven't read it in a year.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 12:46:12 »
Y the last man was good, Saga b gud, I like marvel, but don't really read much.

The new "Harbinger" was interesting, I wonder how that turned out.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 13:24:33 »

Saga
Rachel Rising
Lumberjanes
I've been meaning to read lumberjanes, and catch up on saga. Two more things to add to the ever growing list.

Offline MassdropAlex

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:19:01 »
I strongly recommend reading The Mask. It's got its ups and downs, but the ups more than make up for it. There are different people who wear the mask, and my favorite is definitely not Stanley Ipkiss.
Currently slugging through Omnibus 2. This current wearer is pretty dull.  :(

(Attachment Link)

Also, I always tout my favorite western comic: Usagi Yojimbo. That artist devotes so much of his energy and soul into that comic and I don't think it gets the popularity it deserves.

Thirdly, if you want to get into Deadpool, Daniel Way's collected trades are very, very good.

I don't know if childhood me could have been more confused than the moment I picked up an issue of the Mask after watching the movie. Was super dark.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:33:46 »
I've always wanted to get into comics but I feel like I'm waaaaaaaaaay too late.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:37:45 »
I've always wanted to get into comics but I feel like I'm waaaaaaaaaay too late.
Right now is a good time to start with marvel. They just did a sort of reboot following secret wars. Lots of new number 1s.

DC should be good during the summer reboot also.

There are always great indie comics coming out too.

I can help if you have any questions too.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:40:47 »
My problem with it, which is the same with tv shows, is keeping up. If I miss it one week it's basically over for me. Rather dramatic but it always happens this way. GoT, walking dead... missed an episode and just said eff it I'll binge watch when it's done.

Are there like subscription type deals with comics? And not like an iPad or anything. I'll end up doing something else. But I'm pretty much down to read anything.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:45:49 »
My problem with it, which is the same with tv shows, is keeping up. If I miss it one week it's basically over for me. Rather dramatic but it always happens this way. GoT, walking dead... missed an episode and just said eff it I'll binge watch when it's done.

Are there like subscription type deals with comics? And not like an iPad or anything. I'll end up doing something else. But I'm pretty much down to read anything.
I'm in class right now, but look at dcbservice and midtown comics. dcbservice is a preordered service, so your first pull will be about 2 months till arriving. Midtown is a legit site, but doesn't offer as good deals.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:47:27 »
I'll check it when I get home. Thanks!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:47:32 »

Nah. There's no real need to "catch up" with the past histories of characters or books before starting. Just dive in and you'll get oriented pretty quickly. This is especially true for the classic long-running superhero characters and teams that most people think of when they think about comic books. You can explore the back catalog later.

A great way to get a feel for what's new and interesting is the Pick of the Week podcast at ifanboy.com. Highly recommended.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:49:39 »
OOOO another podcast to listen to. I love podcasts.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:50:40 »
ifanboy is good. I just started listening to it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:53:04 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 18:02:04 »
Sorry for the double post.

Another good podcast if you want to know about character histories, marvel and DC, is journey into mystery. Its a guy explaining various character back stories to his girlfriend.

If you decide you want to read older stuff digitally, marvel unlimited is a subscription service that you can use to read just about every marvel comic ever. It is about 3-4 months behind current issues, but is great for catching up on older important events.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 18:04:25 »
Yeah, there's no need to catch up with comics. I prefer trades because I can read a year or so's worth in one sitting. I don't mind waiting for them to release.

Hell. I've been reading collected comics that are decades old. Read Infinity Gauntlet a couple of years ago and Sandman last year. All thanks to collected editions.

Currently reading Saga of the Swamp Thing. Holy feast for the eyeballs; Moore is a literary genius.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 19:16:53 »
Picked up Saga Vol. 1 today.  I have been putting it off for so long, and finally decided to start reading through it.  Also put an order in for Black Science Vol. 1 while I was at the shop.  Hopefully that will arrive in the next week or two, have heard really good things about it. 

Comic shop talk today was all about Deadpool, and the upcoming Marvel films.  Personally, i think the LCS experience is a lot of fun.  I used to do digital exclusively, but am glad to have moved over to the physical copy side of things.  I still get tempted by dcbservice's deals, but I think I will stick to my local shop for a bit.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 19:25:30 »
Picked up Saga Vol. 1 today.  I have been putting it off for so long, and finally decided to start reading through it.  Also put an order in for Black Science Vol. 1 while I was at the shop.  Hopefully that will arrive in the next week or two, have heard really good things about it. 

Comic shop talk today was all about Deadpool, and the upcoming Marvel films.  Personally, i think the LCS experience is a lot of fun.  I used to do digital exclusively, but am glad to have moved over to the physical copy side of things.  I still get tempted by dcbservice's deals, but I think I will stick to my local shop for a bit.
I was actually surprised at how friendly the peeps at my lcs were when I first went many years ago. There was only one dude that gave me a 'tude, and he's been like that ever since.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 19:29:33 »

I was actually surprised at how friendly the peeps at my lcs were when I first went many years ago. There was only one dude that gave me a 'tude, and he's been like that ever since.

Same here.  This is actually my first experience with one, and was finally recognized today after about a month of going.  So that was pretty cool.  The owner is a really laid back guy and always fun to talk to.  The other main guy that works there is real chill too.  I think he reads every book that comes out, and is able to recall so much about older stuff.  I usually spend about 10 minutes picking up my bag, and anything extra, then the remaining hour is just talking comics with one of those guys.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 00:36:05 »
Saga
Tokyo Ghost
The Walking Dead
X-Files
Y The Last Man again (because recommended)
Prophet (" ")
guardians of the galaxy
Captain Victory and The Galactic Rangers (if I can find it)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 04:54:58 »

Saga
Tokyo Ghost
The Walking Dead
X-Files
Prophet (" ")
guardians of the galaxy

A guy I work with was telling me about Tokyo ghost yesterday. I assume you would also recommend it?

I tried to get into The Waking Dead, but just couldn't enjoy it. My wife on the other hand lives it. I just picked her up a few newer trades yesterday.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 07:49:26 »

Saga
Tokyo Ghost
The Walking Dead
X-Files
Prophet (" ")
guardians of the galaxy

A guy I work with was telling me about Tokyo ghost yesterday. I assume you would also recommend it?

I tried to get into The Waking Dead, but just couldn't enjoy it. My wife on the other hand lives it. I just picked her up a few newer trades yesterday.

The first time I read TWD I thought it sucked. Picked it up again and stuck with it. Definitely has its ups and downs, but for how long it's been going it's pretty impressive.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 07:51:41 »

Saga
Tokyo Ghost
The Walking Dead
X-Files
Prophet (" ")
guardians of the galaxy

The first time I read TWD I thought it sucked. Picked it up again and stuck with it. Definitely has its ups and downs, but for how long it's been going it's pretty impressive.
I've read up through issue 80ish or somewhere near there. I love the art, and the writing style is good. It just didn't draw me in that much. One of these days I'll catch up since my wife has the first two compendiums and a few of the following trades. Im not in a rush though, I have others I'd prefer to read first.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 07:55:31 »
Big fan of Hellboy, really the only series that I've read pretty much all of (save for the BPRD stuff, but I'm gonna get there). I've got a decent digital collection of stuff, just haven't gotten around to reading it. :(

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 07:59:08 »
Oh, another book I started recently is Klaus. Its written by Morrison and is about Santa before he was Santa. Sounds cheesy, I know, but so far has been pretty good.

Big fan of Hellboy, really the only series that I've read pretty much all of (save for the BPRD stuff, but I'm gonna get there). I've got a decent digital collection of stuff, just haven't gotten around to reading it. :(

I've read some Hellboy, and really enjoy it. Never got too into it though. There are soo many great books out there, it can get incredibly overwhelming.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 08:14:15 »
I'm kinda in the same boat as demik. Not sure where to start - but I like binge reading "completed" works.

I read an unhealthy amount of manga, but regular comics not so much. I quite like graphic novels though, having read Watchmen, Maus, and Batman: The Dark Night Returns.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 10:02:15 »
I'm kinda in the same boat as demik. Not sure where to start - but I like binge reading "completed" works.

I read an unhealthy amount of manga, but regular comics not so much. I quite like graphic novels though, having read Watchmen, Maus, and Batman: The Dark Night Returns.
You're like the better looking communist Canadian me. Hello brother from another mother.

Offline MassdropAlex

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 10:09:06 »

Saga
Tokyo Ghost
The Walking Dead
X-Files
Prophet (" ")
guardians of the galaxy

I've read up through issue 80ish or somewhere near there. I love the art, and the writing style is good. It just didn't draw me in that much. One of these days I'll catch up since my wife has the first two compendiums and a few of the following trades. Im not in a rush though, I have others I'd prefer to read first.

You should try Invincible. Same guy that created TWD, but I like it a whole lot more.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 10:46:22 »

You're like the better looking communist Canadian me. Hello brother from another mother.

:-* you're not so bad yourself bby
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 11:54:22 »

Saga
Tokyo Ghost
The Walking Dead
X-Files
Prophet (" ")
guardians of the galaxy

Tokyo Ghost is a complete blood bath of a comic. It's more of a futuristic guilty pleasure for me than anything else.

I'm almost current with TWD, and yea I just about stopped at a few parts. I wasn't one of the folks that started reading TWD comic when it was first published so I'm not rushing out to get the next copy or anything.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 February 2016, 12:02:17 by csmertx »

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 11:02:37 »
This week's pull list:
Flash #49
Justice League #48
TMNT #55
ANAD Avengers #6
Daredevil #4
Faith #2

Might add some back issues in also and a trade or two.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 04:38:09 »
The Maxx was my jam as a young buck. I loved Sam Kieth's art and the storyline about a hallucinating homeless person being the hero. I should probably go back and read it all as I'm guessing it goes a little deeper than "hallucinations".
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline crovax3000

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 09:46:03 »
I'm in the middle of The Wicked + The Divine right now. At first I wasn't into it that much, but in the second trade, especially by the end of it (HOLYFUQ) I was hooked.

I just finished the mini series The Vault. I think it was really oversold, and since it's the third mini series I've read that I've been underwhelmed with, I think I'm done with those for a while.

And now, while I wait for the next round of trades that I want (Saga, Colder, Rumble ), I'll probably start either American Vampire or Nailbiter.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 10:17:32 »
The Maxx was my jam as a young buck. I loved Sam Kieth's art and the storyline about a hallucinating homeless person being the hero. I should probably go back and read it all as I'm guessing it goes a little deeper than "hallucinations".

One of these days I'll remember to check out The Maxx :)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 10:25:35 »
I'm getting comics mostly on digital.  Just got to be too much space taken up.  That also helped me get into some alt comics.  Some recommended ones.

The 6th Gun
Black Summer
Supergod
The Strange Talent of Luther Strode
The Legend of Luther Strode
Irredeemable
Incorruptible

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 10:34:00 »
I just tried the digital comics thing on my dad's kindle fire. My eyes suck. I can't read them for ****. Plus it just doesn't have that feel and look of glossy paper that became more widely used in my youth.

Then I went to the comic book store and all they had was 9208340982 different Harley Quinn comics.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 10:41:08 »
My kid loves reading comics. There are so many for kids I had no idea. She mostly picks out My Little Pony, but she has some Littlest Pet Shop too. There was one set of the My Little Pony comics where Celestia meets up with King Sombra, it was very good. 
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 10:44:28 »
My kid loves reading comics. There are so many for kids I had no idea. She mostly picks out My Little Pony, but she has some Littlest Pet Shop too. There was one set of the My Little Pony comics where Celestia meets up with King Sombra, it was very good. 

You buying your kids MLP comics... who reads first? You or them?  :p

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 10:50:25 »

You buying your kids MLP comics... who reads first? You or them?  :p
At first we read them together, cause the words are tiny and she hadn't mastered reading yet. I bought the last of the series of the Celestia and Sombra story and read it myself first, then with her.  Now she reads them all on her own, but I just borrowed one about Luna and Discord, it was a good read.

She also likes Pokemon...I'm raising a geek. I'm so proud.   :))
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:00:51 »
So you are reading them first to make sure the content is suitable for them. Good mom!

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:11:46 »
My son went to the comic book store with a friend of his and came back with a Mass Effect one as well as another one I can't remember.  The one I can't remember turned out to be okay but I wanted to peak a little more at the ME one and sure enough, there was five or six curse words within the first couple pages so my 8 year old will have to wait to read that one.

I have taken him a couple times to look at comics and he didn't seem that interested in them, but maybe having a friend who likes them will get him more interested.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:27:35 »
I just tried the digital comics thing on my dad's kindle fire. My eyes suck. I can't read them for ****. Plus it just doesn't have that feel and look of glossy paper that became more widely used in my youth.

Then I went to the comic book store and all they had was 9208340982 different Harley Quinn comics.
Harley Quinn is in a lot of books right now. I think it has to do with suicide squad coming out. They are decent reads though, I just don't pick them up because my list is full enough as is.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:49:44 »

Harley Quinn is in a lot of books right now. I think it has to do with suicide squad coming out. They are decent reads though, I just don't pick them up because my list is full enough as is.

I opened up a couple of them. Half of it is her getting her clothes mostly ripped off. I dunno if the animated Batman series anticipated her as this sex symbol. Suicide Squad better be great.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:51:20 »

I opened up a couple of them. Half of it is her getting her clothes mostly ripped off. I dunno if the animated Batman series anticipated her as this sex symbol. Suicide Squad better be great.
Yep pretty much. The writing isnt bad though. N

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 12:55:56 »

She was definitely played as a sex kitten from the beginning, though appropriately muted for an essentially PG-rated kids' show.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 16:21:22 »

She was definitely played as a sex kitten from the beginning, though appropriately muted for an essentially PG-rated kids' show.

There have been a lot of iterations of that character- she's been notoriously sexualized in her later incarnations.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/the-evolution-of-harley-quinn/1100-152821/
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/14/a-visual-history-of-harley-quinn

Offline crovax3000

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 21:12:58 »
I just finished Nameless by Grant Morrison. I have no idea what the hell just happened. In keeping with the space theme, I think I'll start reading Trees next.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 00:45:17 »
I could for some reason never get into American comics.  Growing up, I had a fondness for Uncle Scrooge, not Superman.

More recently, I bought a few of the big volumes of The Darkness and got turned off in the middle when it had a note indicating "this subplot continues in *some other series*."  I keep trying to convince myself to try Deadpool, but I'm not even sure where to break into a lot of these long-running series-- there's either no clear "This is No. 1 of this storyline" or there is and it costs as much as a G80-5000 because it's collectible.

Right now, I do follow three manga series-- One Piece, Dance In the Vampire Bund, and Monster Musume.  Make of that what you will.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 20:22:39 »
Just started Red Son. I really like Lex Luthor in this.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 04:52:27 »
Its been awhile. Anyone reading civil war? I gave up on most marvel, I still read the street level books but nothing more. Marvel has been doing a bad job since the "reboot". DC, on the hand, has been killing it imo with rebirth. There are some **** books, but way more good books than bad.

Offline Grona

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 13:25:03 »
Before I had to cancel my pull list while I was finishing up college I was reading:
East of West
Saga
Fables
C.O.W.L
Nailbiter

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 13:47:29 »
Its been awhile. Anyone reading civil war? I gave up on most marvel, I still read the street level books but nothing more. Marvel has been doing a bad job since the "reboot". DC, on the hand, has been killing it imo with rebirth. There are some **** books, but way more good books than bad.

I guess this thread was revived so feel free to delete the comic thread I started. I saw this one before I created it but assumed it was dead as it hadn't been updated in months. In fact, I was going to contribute to this thread originally but got a flag suggesting I start a new one.

Anyway, yea Rebirth is dope. I was never into the main stories of DC or Marvel really until Rebirth which got me so into it, that I decided to go back and read all the events leading up to it. But the completionist in me couldn't just stop there so I decided I needed to know all the events that lead up to those events and so on until I was all the way back at flashpoint.... I actually just finished flashpoint and am now reading through some of the events that lead up to Convergence which most people say to just skip, but I'm not. It seems like a cool story to me. Flashpoint was a bit tedious for me tbh, but understanding some of the character changes that happened was really my only goal.
Look at me. Look at me. Look what I can do. I'm amazing - Peter Gabriel

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 13:59:54 »
Only tangential, but anyone watching Luke Cage?

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 14:04:00 »

just finished it last night. I love the blaxploitation vibe it has going on. I didn't enjoy it as much as Jessica Jones, but it was certainly a good watch. Jessica Jones had the single greatest villain in television history imo. 

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 16:50:27 »
Before I had to cancel my pull list while I was finishing up college I was reading:
East of West
Saga
Fables
C.O.W.L
Nailbiter
Im reading East of West still.  It is still one of my favorite books.

I guess this thread was revived so feel free to delete the comic thread I started. I saw this one before I created it but assumed it was dead as it hadn't been updated in months. In fact, I was going to contribute to this thread originally but got a flag suggesting I start a new one.

Anyway, yea Rebirth is dope. I was never into the main stories of DC or Marvel really until Rebirth which got me so into it, that I decided to go back and read all the events leading up to it. But the completionist in me couldn't just stop there so I decided I needed to know all the events that lead up to those events and so on until I was all the way back at flashpoint.... I actually just finished flashpoint and am now reading through some of the events that lead up to Convergence which most people say to just skip, but I'm not. It seems like a cool story to me. Flashpoint was a bit tedious for me tbh, but understanding some of the character changes that happened was really my only goal.
I didnt know you had made a new thread, sorry about that.

There are still plenty of DC events that I have missed.  I would like to start collecting Absolute editions sometime soon to catch up on some of the older stories I missed.  I read a lot of books when the new 52 happened, but am enjoying rebirth so much more.  There are about 4 or 5 books im not reading, but the ones I am are way better than their new 52 counterparts.  I am looking forward to see where things go.

I do hate the double shipping though.  Nightwing feels like its a weekly book these days.

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 16:53:18 »
East of West
Saga
Fables
C.O.W.L
Nailbiter
Im reading East of West still.  It is still one of my favorite books.

I didnt know you had made a new thread, sorry about that.

There are still plenty of DC events that I have missed.  I would like to start collecting Absolute editions sometime soon to catch up on some of the older stories I missed.  I read a lot of books when the new 52 happened, but am enjoying rebirth so much more.  There are about 4 or 5 books im not reading, but the ones I am are way better than their new 52 counterparts.  I am looking forward to see where things go.

I do hate the double shipping though.  Nightwing feels like its a weekly book these days.

All I care about is that there is an active comics thread, really don't care who the creator is  :thumb:

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 16:58:19 »
Yeah i'll try and post each week.  I am behind about three weeks right now though  :'( 

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 18:48:07 »

just finished it last night. I love the blaxploitation vibe it has going on. I didn't enjoy it as much as Jessica Jones, but it was certainly a good watch. Jessica Jones had the single greatest villain in television history imo.
I actually like it better than Jessica Jones,  though I have to admit it stumbled in the middle on the transition from  the front half to the back half,  but finished pretty strong. It's a different type of story,  so I think people are going to have wildly different opinions.   I like the face that the city is a character,  and they pay attention to the immersion qualities,  though the writing in Jessica Jones was admittedly better.

My ordering:

Luke Cage
Punisher S0 (dd take out the hand)
Jessica Jones
DD s1
DD s2