Author Topic: Any programmers on geekhack? What language(s) do you use?  (Read 54810 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Re: Any programmers on geekhack? What language(s) do you use?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:02:09 »
Honestly, why java?

Cross-platform, lots of libraries, and support from all of the major vendors.

Makes sense indeed. But personally I don't really like where the language has gone the past couple of years. But that's a matter of taste perhaps.

So far I haven't done much of the Java stuff, I spend most days supporting our existing applications on Windows.  Plus researching technologies for deploying things, like at the moment I'm looking into Docker.  It's a shame Windows apps won't run in Docker 'cause it would be good to be able to make an image to deploy to clients, instead of the convoluted process we have now for releases.

Docker is nice, I use it myself for python acceptance testing and testing otherwise.

Too bad it is not really open source. But it gets the job done.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:07:02 »
Honestly, why java?

Cross-platform, lots of libraries, and support from all of the major vendors.

Makes sense indeed. But personally I don't really like where the language has gone the past couple of years. But that's a matter of taste perhaps.

So far I haven't done much of the Java stuff, I spend most days supporting our existing applications on Windows.  Plus researching technologies for deploying things, like at the moment I'm looking into Docker.  It's a shame Windows apps won't run in Docker 'cause it would be good to be able to make an image to deploy to clients, instead of the convoluted process we have now for releases.

Docker is nice, I use it myself for python acceptance testing and testing otherwise.

This is straying somewhat off topic (of this off topic thread).  There is a new Docker version out, released some time in the last few days.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:11:48 »

This is straying somewhat off topic (of this off topic thread).  There is a new Docker version out, released some time in the last few days.

Well off topic.. I guess a lot of developers have docker (or similar app) in their workflow.

But ok back on topic then!

Offline Khuya

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 00:33:41 »
Mostly .Net stuff, Visual Studio ftw!  I have not seen anything else comparable to VS.  Well, I have only used VS  :D

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 04:27:48 »
Mostly .Net stuff, Visual Studio ftw!  I have not seen anything else comparable to VS.  Well, I have only used VS  :D

VS is quite nice actually. But I don't used IDEs anymore.. I use vim or spacemacs.

Offline mteinum

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 12:22:25 »
I have done professional programming for 20y. Started out in '8x on a Commodore64 with basic and assembler. Quick recap of the languages I have - and - do use:

C/Basic/C++/Pascal/ASM/SQL/JS/TS/Java/C#/Erlang/RPG III

Primary C#/JS/TS/SQL these days, Erlang for fun on my spare time. VS at work, Sublime Text @ home.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 12:40:40 »
C pays the bills.  Python is what I love.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:22:19 »
I have done professional programming for 20y. Started out in '8x on a Commodore64 with basic and assembler. Quick recap of the languages I have - and - do use:

Primary C#/JS/TS/SQL these days, Erlang for fun on my spare time. VS at work, Sublime Text @ home.

Nice! So you've reached the point where you choose the language that fits the project best, right?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:23:05 »

Would you suggest learning C for real? I've always been curious about C and raw performance. I can code in it with reference next to it. But I'm by know means a C hacker.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:27:36 »

Would you suggest learning C for real? I've always been curious about C and raw performance. I can code in it with reference next to it. But I'm by know means a C hacker.

If you ever want to play with stuff like Arduino, or very constrained systems, go and learn C.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:30:31 »

If you ever want to play with stuff like Arduino, or very constrained systems, go and learn C.

I think I would use it for performance reasons mainly. I'm building a Survey (questionnaire) engine which mainly involves CRUD and linking with some business logic on top. Of course, premature optimization is the root of all evil. But I'm now writing it in Python with Django just as a POC and then when I deploy live and I get bottlenecks, I guess it is worthwile to take out slow parts, rewrite them in C and link them back in python..

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:31:50 »
Who writes a web service in C?

Offline mteinum

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:33:09 »

Nice! So you've reached the point where you choose the language that fits the project best, right?

In telco when you deploy a system into production, it is hard to kill. Still supporting VB6 systems 10-15 years of age. Other aspects when choosing a programming language is the availability of programmers in the area than can maintain the code base. I would love to do more in Erlang/Elm these days, but then my coworkers  must be upgraded.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:35:13 »

No, it's not the webservice. It's only the back-end for internal processing when surveys are imported or built.

Surveys are composed of multiple objects / tables. And they can be imported using a DSL and other formats and once they are finalized / "compiled" / serialized to another format. But the surveys can get rather large. Scaling issue is what I anticipate with more and more users.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:35:58 »

Oh, and it might sound crazy, though there are actually a few C web frameworks out there:

https://kore.io/ for instance

But no, my webservice is python mostly

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:37:42 »

In telco when you deploy a system into production, it is hard to kill. Still supporting VB6 systems 10-15 years of age. Other aspects when choosing a programming language is the availability of programmers in the area than can maintain the code base. I would love to do more in Erlang/Elm these days, but then my coworkers  must be upgraded.

Really? Here in the Netherlands, companies who built / maintained VB6 apps are mostly extinct / bankrupt now for a couple of years already.

We had this company "Pink Roccade" who was strong on VB6 (and a bit of Delphi I believe) and they faced major downsizings and restructurings already, probably in the advent of VS.NET.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:38:05 »
I think I would use it for performance reasons mainly. I'm building a Survey (questionnaire) engine which mainly involves CRUD and linking with some business logic on top. Of course, premature optimization is the root of all evil. But I'm now writing it in Python with Django just as a POC and then when I deploy live and I get bottlenecks, I guess it is worthwile to take out slow parts, rewrite them in C and link them back in python..

I'm pretty darn sure C wouldn't help there at all. Your bottleneck is likely somewhere else. Profile, measure, and then figure out how to fix the slow parts. Just doing some of the work in C may even slow it down, due to having to massage data between C and Python. Not to mention development speed...

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:39:23 »

I'm pretty darn sure C wouldn't help there at all. Your bottleneck is likely somewhere else. Profile, measure, and then figure out how to fix the slow parts. Just doing some of the work in C may even slow it down, due to having to massage data between C and Python. Not to mention development speed...

Good points, thanks! Of course, I would thoroughly profile first. I didn't think about moving data between C and Python. I've never interfaced with C directly from python... I thought / hoped C could access Python allocated memory / data directly but apparently not then.

Offline mteinum

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:46:01 »

Really? Here in the Netherlands, companies who built / maintained VB6 apps are mostly extinct / bankrupt now for a couple of years already.

We had this company "Pink Roccade" who was strong on VB6 (and a bit of Delphi I believe) and they faced major downsizings and restructurings already, probably in the advent of VS.NET.

Well, there is not much active development on this part. Most of the functionality is rewritten to a C#/JS, SPA application. But you'll find a report or two that is still there.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:58:06 »
I'm all over the place.

My day job is mostly C# and Javascript, but I sling C, C++, Go, F#, or Clojure on side projects. I really need to catch up on Rust post-1.0 since I like many of the concepts of Go, but some of the trade offs it imposes on you make it a non-ideal choice for many projects.

I use VS for .NET for now, but with Rosyln and the new pipeline it may get replaced with my other editor of choice: emacs.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 14:08:42 »
I'm all over the place.

My day job is mostly C# and Javascript, but I sling C, C++, Go, F#, or Clojure on side projects. I really need to catch up on Rust post-1.0 since I like many of the concepts of Go, but some of the trade offs it imposes on you make it a non-ideal choice for many projects.

I use VS for .NET for now, but with Rosyln and the new pipeline it may get replaced with my other editor of choice: emacs.

Do you like Javascript? I've played with rust / go but don't particularly like it.

Has anybody here used nimrod or looked at it? (apparently they call themselves "nim" now)

http://nim-lang.org

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 14:27:10 »
Do you like Javascript?

Javascript the language is ok, and as of ES6 I'd say it's pretty good (if you avoid ever using classes -- it's a prototype language for spaghetti monster's sake!). So when slinging JS for a singular target (say Electron to build a client side app) it can be great. The problem is that when you target the Webbernets you get to contend with the hell that is legacy browsers. "But OK, I'll just transpile!" And now you're into the ghetto that is JS/Web tooling. Every couple of months the "community" declares the current dominant build system to be "Irrevocably Broken!" and we need to throw it all away and use "Bikeshed Build System Mk XLII." Rinse. Repeat. ad nauseum

So in short: JS is a pretty okay language that has been destroyed by a "community" that is hell bent to forget every lesson that was ever learned in software development and repeat them all bigger and badder than ever.

I've played with rust / go but don't particularly like it.

It really depends upon what you're looking to accomplish. I really like go's philosophy of static linking, but some of their philosophies (simplicity above all else!1!!1) are holding it back. As for Rust that hits a sweet spot for me with low level software development that I'd currently use C for, but it takes away some of the insanity of C development -- it's now pretty much impossible to write an application that doesn't rely on "undefined" behavior.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 14:30:56 »
Do you like Javascript?

Javascript the language is ok, and as of ES6 I'd say it's pretty good (if you avoid ever using classes -- it's a prototype language for spaghetti monster's sake!). So when slinging JS for a singular target (say Electron to build a client side app) it can be great. The problem is that when you target the Webbernets you get to contend with the hell that is legacy browsers. "But OK, I'll just transpile!" And now you're into the ghetto that is JS/Web tooling. Every couple of months the "community" declares the current dominant build system to be "Irrevocably Broken!" and we need to throw it all away and use "Bikeshed Build System Mk XLII." Rinse. Repeat. ad nauseum

So in short: JS is a pretty okay language that has been destroyed by a "community" that is hell bent to forget every lesson that was ever learned in software development and repeat them all bigger and badder than ever.

Yeah.. I consider JS to be the one and true embodiment of "clusterf*ck". I do webdev, python back-end with django rest and then angularjs with restangular on front-end. But all these small libraries and these large frameworks and the toolchain (yeoman, grunt, node, test runners, etc.) it's so crappy, slow, and unreliable. It often breaks for me. And dependency hell. It seems like scriptkiddies made all these tools. So much stuff is not thought out properly it makes me pull hairs out. I'm often trying to fix basic stuff and then I figure out there is a ticket on it on github already.

JavaScript as a language is not too bad. But all these frameworks and libraries and tools are driving me insane.

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 15:19:02 »
I am not sure if I might be considered a programmer; but, being an mechanical engineer I spent many years working in the automotive industry designing and running experiments, lastly, I teach DoE using R with RStudio, also I teach some Geostatistics and financial risk analysis with the same platform, I make basic scripts to solve the examples I use and make them available for my students with Knitr, Latex and Markdown. Hope this is not out of topic  :p

Yooo represent!
I'm a MechE student in my last year of school, with a plan of going into the auto industry! Haven't seen too many MechEs around here. You happen to work for a supplier in metro Detroit? Cause thats where everyone in the auto industry I know is, and where a lot of my friends are going after graduation.

To answer the post question: I've been doing a lot of C and Arduino programming for a CS minor that I'm getting and a grad robotics class I'm in.
C is pretty baller. Feels dangerous, therefore I am the danger. Keeps things fresh.
I've also used a lot of Java for intro to programming stuff, and Matlab for ME stuff.

Sublime all the way so far. Everything I need, nothing I don't.

Bad switches is the only thing that I like

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 15:23:11 »
I am not sure if I might be considered a programmer; but, being an mechanical engineer I spent many years working in the automotive industry designing and running experiments, lastly, I teach DoE using R with RStudio, also I teach some Geostatistics and financial risk analysis with the same platform, I make basic scripts to solve the examples I use and make them available for my students with Knitr, Latex and Markdown. Hope this is not out of topic  :p

Yooo represent!
I'm a MechE student in my last year of school, with a plan of going into the auto industry! Haven't seen too many MechEs around here. You happen to work for a supplier in metro Detroit? Cause thats where everyone in the auto industry I know is, and where a lot of my friends are going after graduation.

To answer the post question: I've been doing a lot of C and Arduino programming for a CS minor that I'm getting and a grad robotics class I'm in.
C is pretty baller. Feels dangerous, therefore I am the danger. Keeps things fresh.
I've also used a lot of Java for intro to programming stuff, and Matlab for ME stuff.

You like Matlab? I've used Mathematica for a bit, but didn't really enjoy it. But I guess I'm not the target audience (statistiscs).

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 15:55:08 »

Yooo represent!

You like Matlab? I've used Mathematica for a bit, but didn't really enjoy it. But I guess I'm not the target audience (statistiscs).

In a word: Nope.
It's an awesome tool, and I've learned things about Matlab, Simulink, and SimScape in the last year that are freaking insane if you're in a field that might need their functionality, but I just don't get any enjoyment out of using them. Here's a video of my final project for my robotics class:
, which is a gimbal system I got from GrabCAD, imported into SimMechanics, and created a control system for. So the video is the system responding to random step inputs for position control. It was a super low effort attempt cause I've been so busy this semester, but I got a 97% on it so heyyy. (I think the TA looks at me and goes "Aww poor undergrad. He has no clue what he's doing. We might as well throw him a bone and let him live in ignorance".)

Even tho it was a fun project to do, I just don't get that same feeling of satisfaction as I do after a program runs correctly. I'm pretty sure I should've been a software dev.

I've also used Mathematica a fair bit, but it seems to me that Matlab is a strict upgrade. Matlab's visualization tools aren't as easy to use, but its so much more powerful.
Bad switches is the only thing that I like

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 17:15:47 »

In a word: Nope.
It's an awesome tool, and I've learned things about Matlab, Simulink, and SimScape in the last year that are freaking insane if you're in a field that might need their functionality, but I just don't get any enjoyment out of using them. Here's a video of my final project for my robotics class:
, which is a gimbal system I got from GrabCAD, imported into SimMechanics, and created a control system for. So the video is the system responding to random step inputs for position control. It was a super low effort attempt cause I've been so busy this semester, but I got a 97% on it so heyyy. (I think the TA looks at me and goes "Aww poor undergrad. He has no clue what he's doing. We might as well throw him a bone and let him live in ignorance".)

Even tho it was a fun project to do, I just don't get that same feeling of satisfaction as I do after a program runs correctly. I'm pretty sure I should've been a software dev.

I've also used Mathematica a fair bit, but it seems to me that Matlab is a strict upgrade. Matlab's visualization tools aren't as easy to use, but its so much more powerful.

Matlab.. not even once :P

Matlab is really powerful but there is something I just don't like about it. I heard matrix operations / calculations are VERY powerful in Matlab. One of the best sparse matrix implementations around.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 21:53:38 »

It's not a web service per se, but I love how you can start a basic web server in Python without any code:

python -m SimpleHTTPServer
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 04:07:03 »

It's not a web service per se, but I love how you can start a basic web server in Python without any code:

python -m SimpleHTTPServer

I use that all the time, it is really nice. I also like how it's really easy to have a simple web server using code.

Offline rurushu

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 19:31:25 »
Did Java back in my Uni degree, done around 9 months plus of ABAP for my first job.

IDE is the way for me, the syntax checks and auto-complete is too much to pass up.

Offline Darkshado

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 21:32:04 »
How are the tools with the SAP stuff? Decent?

Offline venyv

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 13:56:23 »
Javascript, PHP, Ruby, GO

Editor: Sublime

Offline rurushu

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 11:23:35 »
How are the tools with the SAP stuff? Decent?

well, for a proprietary system and its standalone language I think the tools are fine, but what I really cant stand is when the system is running slow due to resource constraints as SAP is kind of like server-client design. When the servers are slow as ****, you will feel like flipping the table just waiting for it to load the goddamn debugger  :mad:

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 10:18:23 »
Did Java back in my Uni degree, done around 9 months plus of ABAP for my first job.

IDE is the way for me, the syntax checks and auto-complete is too much to pass up.

I have syntax checks (linting) and auto-complete in vim as well!

Offline rurushu

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 13:36:13 »

to me, those are like the essentials of a programming tool, ain't nobody got time to check line by line for them missing syntaxes  :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 13:38:58 »

to me, those are like the essentials of a programming tool, ain't nobody got time to check line by line for them missing syntaxes  :)

And don't forget trailing slashes!

I do python coding and there is this "convention" people try to follow.. it's called PEP-8. So I have my linting set up to automatically check for that and even auto-correct on save when possible. That really saves a LOT of time during coding.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 00:59:25 »

I do python coding and there is this "convention" people try to follow.. it's called PEP-8. So I have my linting set up to automatically check for that and even auto-correct on save when possible. That really saves a LOT of time during coding.

There was an update to PEP8 recently!

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 08:21:00 »
Hey, programmer here. I'm a Salesforce developer. I don't work for them, but do cushion development on the platform.

I do not use an IDE, strictly Sublime Text

Most of the languages that I use are proprietary to Salesforce.
  • Apex, which is pretty much a modified version of java
  • Visualforce, which is html with server side scripting built in
  • Javascript
  • SOQL which is a modified version of SQL

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 14:20:49 »
I use PHP.  Mostly Notepad++, or vim if I'm sshed into something for a quick task.

I tend to prefer PHP because it's still by far the leader in terms of "I have a random code-base (usually inherited from client) and random hosting (also inherited, or they insist on using a vendor that had a slick sales pitch).  Odds are they will work without too much hassle."

I still recall one client project we had-- half-baked, written in Ruby, and came with a 45-step "how to set up a test environment" guide that involved setting up Vagrant images and posting stuff up and down to Github to deploy.  The only way to get it to even behave as a test environment was to set up a Linux install on a spare desktop, and the site was so badly designed and the virtual machine configuration they used so awful resulted in it literally taking 30 seconds to load a page, with test data, on a local machine.

We said "we're spending longer waiting on page loads than actually developing" and just wrote a new PHP site that talked to their old database, because it let us finish in half the time.

I did my degree programme in Java and have used it about three times since then.  One client insisted on an applet being written, basically, because we needed to scan a user's local filesystem for things we wanted them to upload.  Never mind that the market penetration of the Java plugin is at -3% and dropping.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline vito687

Any programmers on geekhack? What language(s) do you use?
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 14:29:40 »
Java/JSP/sightly for an enterprise level platform called adobe experience manager .  HTML, CSS, JS .  Recently played with some flat html site generators like Jekyll (super cool, kind of like wordless without a UI) .  For JS I have evaluated a few different package tools like grunt, gulp, and NPM by itself for my workflow ... Lastly played with Angular and React (actually surprisingly favor react a bit over angular ).  Side note to the docker people - my last project we deployed a react based application that was built into a spring application to a docker container which was then deployed ... Was definitely a nice/easy process to use docker

Edit:Left out Ruby , Sass, and PHP ... So that too

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 05:10:53 »

There was an update to PEP8 recently!

Noes! When? What's changed?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 05:13:19 »
I use PHP.  Mostly Notepad++, or vim if I'm sshed into something for a quick task.

I tend to prefer PHP because it's still by far the leader in terms of "I have a random code-base (usually inherited from client) and random hosting (also inherited, or they insist on using a vendor that had a slick sales pitch).  Odds are they will work without too much hassle."

I still recall one client project we had-- half-baked, written in Ruby, and came with a 45-step "how to set up a test environment" guide that involved setting up Vagrant images and posting stuff up and down to Github to deploy.  The only way to get it to even behave as a test environment was to set up a Linux install on a spare desktop, and the site was so badly designed and the virtual machine configuration they used so awful resulted in it literally taking 30 seconds to load a page, with test data, on a local machine.

We said "we're spending longer waiting on page loads than actually developing" and just wrote a new PHP site that talked to their old database, because it let us finish in half the time.

I did my degree programme in Java and have used it about three times since then.  One client insisted on an applet being written, basically, because we needed to scan a user's local filesystem for things we wanted them to upload.  Never mind that the market penetration of the Java plugin is at -3% and dropping.

Yeah well my 50 cents is... PHP gets the job done, but also at what expense. Just because IT IS so easy to get something up on the screen means any moron can do it. And often that's how legacy codebases look. When I do code review I'm like "wtf... like for real... WHY?". That's what steered me away from PHP. That, plus inconsistencies in the language and behavior though I learned to neglect them, having been a PHP developer since 2003 or so.

Obligatory pic:

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 10:09:47 »
Very nice pic!  I'd not heard of that site- he has some pretty cool stuff for a non-web-comic site.  I had to send that one around.  And the one about Head of Magic on the business card.

Offline mteinum

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 12:05:32 »
WTFs/Minute is a classic. Other great sites:

Classic Programmer Paintings

http://classicprogrammerpaintings.com/

Geek & Poke

http://geek-and-poke.com/

xkcd

https://xkcd.com/327/

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 12:10:08 »
Learning C atm.

Then C++

then assembly

then python.

Going to be a long 3 months.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 13:14:09 »
Learning C atm.

Then C++

then assembly

then python.

Why even bother with assembly?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 14:01:52 »

Classic Programmer Paintings

http://classicprogrammerpaintings.com/

Geek & Poke

Show Image

http://geek-and-poke.com/

xkcd

Show Image

https://xkcd.com/327/

Cool, thanks! Never heard of geek-and-poke. I often go to c2 wiki to see about fun jokes and the real nerd stuff only developers understand (like "A SQL query goes into a bar, walks up to two tables and asks, "Can I join you?"").

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 14:02:14 »

Don't think you can call yourself a programmer and not know about xkcd.  The others are pretty good, though :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 14:05:26 »
Learning C atm.

Then C++

then assembly

then python.

Assembly is a great way to truly understand what your computer (or CPU) is doing. As a matter of fact, assembly is used even in higher level languages to see what, for instance in the case of python, the interpreter is doing and what it could do better. Or micro-optimizations / profiling / micro-profiling.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 14:36:10 »
Learning C atm.

Then C++

then assembly

then python.

Assembly is a great way to truly understand what your computer (or CPU) is doing. As a matter of fact, assembly is used even in higher level languages to see what, for instance in the case of python, the interpreter is doing and what it could do better. Or micro-optimizations / profiling / micro-profiling.

That still doesn't really tell why.  Especially if you're just learning, for the difficulty in learning/programming.  And the general overall usefulness.