Author Topic: Help me buy an e-reader (that is not a Kindle)  (Read 6743 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Help me buy an e-reader (that is not a Kindle)
« on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 10:00:02 »
I'm in the market for an e-reader, but not an Amazon Kindle, for personal reasons.  I know about Kobo, Nook, and some European brands like Inkbook and Bookeen, but not much else.  I'm looking for my fellow geeks personal knowledge and experience with Non-Kindle e-readers.  Or maybe you know of websites that do some quality reviews of available models. I'm all ears.

I'm looking for something with a backlit screen and better than bottom of the barrel quality, at the very least.  Not many more preferences than that.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 April 2016, 10:13:45 by vivalarevolución »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Help me buy an e-reader (that is not a Kindle)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 10:16:57 »
I have a Nook Galaxy S2- it's a galaxy s2 tablet that just has some Nook widgets.  It let me try the android ecosystem, and still have a nook.  I like that facet.

That said, it's just as easy to get an iPad or an Android device, install the nook app, and be able to not be limited to the ecosystem of the store.  There are several epub publishers out there that have a great catalog of books.  Some of them even get the same time to market as the big guys.

When you talk about ebook readers, are you looking for eink or any reader?  That would be the first differentiator of whether or not you want to just go for a tablet.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 10:26:46 »
Yea, e-ink screen. I like e-ink rather than reading on a tablet and the Ling battery life.  I actually don't care for tablets in general.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 10:57:35 »
I have a really old Nook Simple Touch WiFi. I really like it and don't really miss the old school books. I do howver hate reading on tablets or pmy phone for that matter for too long. I think the lack of backlight helps in maintaining a more traditional feel while reading. Having it for you need it like in the dark or extremely sunny environment is a bonus.

I've been wanting to get a bigger colored e-ink display for reading comics for a while but haven't really gotten to researching what to buy.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 12:25:06 »
I have an old sony reader that you can have for the price of shipping.  It was a gift that I only used a couple times - I prefer actual paper.  I am charging it up now to make sure it still works. 

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Quick note.  I have it plugged in to a usb charger, but after looking online, it appears that it needs the wall charger to properly charge.  I don't have it any more, but a replacement is only a couple $$:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-Wall-Charger-AC-Adapter-Power-Supply-Cord-Cable-for-Sony-PSP-1000-2000-3000-/331726952734?hash=item4d3c77991e:g:dXEAAOSwf-VWZTss
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 April 2016, 13:24:41 by Badwrench »
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 12:35:38 »
I have a kobo aura H20 and I really like it.  A big plus for me is that I can download ebooks, load them on a micro sd card, and put them in my ereader instead of being dependant on one online market.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 13:32:13 »
I have an old sony reader that you can have for the price of shipping.  It was a gift that I only used a couple times - I prefer actual paper.  I am charging it up now to make sure it still works. 

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Show Image

Show Image

Quick note.  I have it plugged in to a usb charger, but after looking online, it appears that it needs the wall charger to properly charge.  I don't have it any more, but a replacement is only a couple $$:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-Wall-Charger-AC-Adapter-Power-Supply-Cord-Cable-for-Sony-PSP-1000-2000-3000-/331726952734?hash=item4d3c77991e:g:dXEAAOSwf-VWZTss

Thanks for the offer, but not what Im looking for.  I also currently have e-reader as well,but looking for one with backlighting.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 15:11:15 »
The Jetbook Color 2 looks pretty damn good for a color e-ink display. I guess the price point is stuck because the demand is low?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 15:17:47 »
I gave up on e-readers..

My arms are weak.. so I just don't want to hold them up for more than 5 minutes..

Reading from the PC monitor is best.. much larger...  you can sit further back too.

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 15:27:33 »
I gave up on e-readers..

My arms are weak.. so I just don't want to hold them up for more than 5 minutes..

Reading from the PC monitor is best.. much larger...  you can sit further back too.

RIP eyesight...
I recommend a book, you know, the thinks with paper which have works written on them... or at least a E-ink display without back light. Don't torture your eyes like that. I speak from experience, my eyesight has become significantly worse over the years because I sit in front of a Computer monitor all day. If there is no way around that, get yourself a pair of Computer glasses, or screen protector glasses (yellowish glasses), They DO work, I wear them constantly. No dry or burning eyes any more.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 April 2016, 15:38:24 by Olumin »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 15:35:06 »
I gave up on e-readers..

You read books by using your PC monitor? I tried that but it gives me headaches. Funny how that works, I can read forum posts on my PC monitor for a few hours with no problem. But I can't read books on the same PC monitor for a few hours without acquiring a headache :(

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 15:37:27 »
Same, for me it starts seeming as the letters are spiraling and start feeling dizzy and then get a headache.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 16:24:53 »
I gave up on e-readers..

RIP eyesight...
I recommend a book, you know, the thinks with paper which have works written on them... or at least a E-ink display without back light. Don't torture your eyes like that. I speak from experience, my eyesight has become significantly worse over the years because I sit in front of a Computer monitor all day. If there is no way around that, get yourself a pair of Computer glasses, or screen protector glasses (yellowish glasses), They DO work, I wear them constantly. No dry or burning eyes any more.

Many people are Not utilizing the Computer monitor correctly,

Due to Carried misconceptions from PAPER print..

The main barrier is black text on white background..

The ideal color on Computer screens should be Grey text on Black Background.

Compare the two images below, fullsize them on your screen, and notice how your eyes hurt with the bright image,  but it completely relaxes on the dark one.

135171-0135173-1

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 16:47:46 »
I gave up on e-readers..

RIP eyesight...

Compare the two images below, fullsize them on your screen, and notice how your eyes hurt with the bright image,  but it completely relaxes on the dark one.

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

I know, that's why I installed stylish on my browser and changed the the design of the websites I visit the most (YT and Google) to a dark Gray colour instead of white. How did you changed the colour of this website?

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 22:18:23 »
The Jetbook Color 2 looks pretty damn good for a color e-ink display. I guess the price point is stuck because the demand is low?

I think the quality is lacking on the color e-ink screens, from what I have read.  Gets blurry and low dpi compared to grayscale.  Sounds like an appealing concept, but I don't think anyone has delivered a great product yet.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 22:26:06 »
I have a kobo aura H20 and I really like it.  A big plus for me is that I can download ebooks, load them on a micro sd card, and put them in my ereader instead of being dependant on one online market.

I've been intrigued by Kobo's offering, they have great reviews and good quality.

I'm also considering an eReader that runs Android so I can download a few apps, especially one for writing and use the eReader as a distraction-free portable writing device with a small keyboard through USB-micro or Bluetooth.  Although the choices seem slim for eReaders that run Android, and a lot of the reviews are so-so.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 22:33:29 »

I think the quality is lacking on the color e-ink screens, from what I have read.  Gets blurry and low dpi compared to grayscale.  Sounds like an appealing concept, but I don't think anyone has delivered a great product yet.

Yea I get that, plus lack of development because everyone seems to be ok with the Kindle Fire tablets.

Even the Triton 2 color eink display (2013) is limited to < 5k colors. The tech can do more colors but it kills the refresh rate which is already at .7 seconds per page turn. Hope you find something that works for ya

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 08:42:47 »
In my search for an ereader, I did find the geekhack of ereader forums.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/

There goes my weekend.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 12:01:55 »
In my search for an ereader, I did find the geekhack of ereader forums.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/

There goes my weekend.

Thank you for sharing this link! Looks like I'll be doing a bit of reading today

Offline Kraicheck

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 12:26:26 »

Another recommendation for the kobo aura H20.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 12:44:35 »
I gave up on e-readers..

RIP eyesight...

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

I know, that's why I installed stylish on my browser and changed the the design of the websites I visit the most (YT and Google) to a dark Gray colour instead of white. How did you changed the colour of this website?

Every website for me looks like this..

I use color toggle in firefox, and windows default theme with the modified colors (disable aeros).

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 19:46:23 »
Any more help out there?

Offline jeb

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 14:49:44 »
I have a Nook Simple Touch with light. It's kind of old these days, but quite satisfactory. I'll be unlikely to replace it until it breaks.

My main reason for going with this reader was that it was an Android and could be rooted. In practice, I've found this feature to be of only sporadic use, typically when traveling without other devices. The web browsing is not ideal, but it has proven extremely useful in a pinch. For day-to-day use, apart from reading I only ever used a flashcard app, which was fantastic for my commute. It's technically possible but difficult to get a keyboard hooked up via USB; I never bothered.

I have no idea about the modern e-ink Nook they have out, other than that it also runs Android and can be rooted. I also don't know if that one has the extra feature I'd like most: to be able to use additional dictionaries (my reader is limited to the stock one).

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 08:16:13 »
I've been looking at e-readers again.  I am very intrigued by this one: https://www.energysistem.com/en/products/ereader/e-ink_series/42535-energy_ereader_pro_hd

Probably the most aesthetically pleasing e-reader I have seen and works with Google Play out of the box.  Only downside is I can't seem to find it available in North America and have to pay for shipping from Spain.

The other ones I like are the Boyue products.  Considering that most Android e-readers are rebranded Boyue products, anyways, might as well just go straight to the source and go from there.  I'm not too enthusiastic about rooting an e-reader, though, because I am getting a bit tired of having to modify or customize every electronic that I buy.  I am moving towards a preference of my electronics working how I want out of the box.