Author Topic: Mini Keyboard with Trackpoint  (Read 376549 times)

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Mini Keyboard with Trackpoint
« Reply #750 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 19:44:24 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

Offline Hoolala

« Reply #751 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 19:52:05 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;318048
Welcome to GeekHack!

Thanks! I drink Lavazza regularly and frequently :)

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #752 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 19:57:46 »
Nice! Lavazza rocks =)

I have a set of their cappuccino mugs.

Offline Hoolala

« Reply #753 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 21:47:44 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;318059
Nice! Lavazza rocks =)

I have a set of their cappuccino mugs.

Just have had two cups of espresso out of my Bialetti Brikka :) It is a really good every-day coffee, very refreshing. Anyway, I don't want to get this thread off topic.

It seems Lowpoly hasn't got back to this thread for some days, just hope everything is going fine.

I think we need to think about the things that need to included in the kit to be shipped.
1. First of all, I don't think getting the switches is that big a problem. We can at least always get them from the old keyboards. The red is somehow hard to source though, but we can always put the springs from the blues to the blacks. Come on, we are modders.
2. Different layout is not that big a problem, as long as the PCBs for each/the major layout(s) is/are provided, we can always solder the switches and remap the keys, given that the keyboard is programmable, may take some time though, but different layout configuration can be published for downloading. I personally would prefer a UK or at least ANSI.
3. The following components are relatively hard to source and therefore need to be ordered.
 a) Switches with LEDs
 b) The thumb pedals underneath the spacebar
 c) The keycaps are kind of hard to find if there are a lot of non-standard ones in the final design. Otherwise they are not so big a problem.
 d) The bottom shell/support
 e) The tracking point unit. I think this is the most important one. Otherwise there are some other options out there.

Therefore, we can see the core of this project is really the design of the PCB and the controller plus the key mapping software on the PC.

I think we'd better take a poll at some point down the road to see how many people are interested and what options should be provided. Maybe after we circulate the message that Miniguru is back alive around the world.

Hope that I have not offended anyone. Any comments are welcome.

Offline Hoolala

« Reply #754 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 22:04:43 »
Quote from: ripster;318147
What are you proposing again Lowpoly do?  I figure he'll do what he wants to do.

I am sure it is more like/back to Lowpoly's personal project now, so I am actually not proposing new stuff, I am trying to help shrink down the number of the proposals.

Offline Hoolala

« Reply #755 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 07:14:04 »
Quote from: ripster;318155
I'd say post #774 is a tad late for that.

Well, I started reading this thread last year, and had just got here last night. I blame my bad English.

Offline pantarhei

« Reply #756 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 14:07:49 »
Any more specific estimates on when a mini series or a kit will be available? Mini series would be awesome, but a kit will be bought as well. :)

Are there any more detailed reasons why the production of keyboard was canceled? Really like to have my hands on one of these once a day.

Greetings from Germany.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #757 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 16:39:12 »
Oh hellz yeah. I remember being super stoked about the Mini-Guru board last year. I would gladly pay HHKB prices for one of these kits.

Hell, really all I want is that case! I can put together the rest myself. I'd hack apart my Das Keyboard for this!

Offline pantarhei

« Reply #758 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 13:30:56 »
Quote from: ripster;325742
Willkommen Geekhack!

Or something like that.

Thx a lot.  I would say "Willkommen bei Geekhack!". But nearly perfect as you can see. :)

Offline evera

« Reply #759 on: Wed, 13 April 2011, 02:37:29 »
I know that I'm a bit after the great interest spike, but I'm still in for 2 (non-solder). This is of great interest to me! :) I hope you do well in your endeavors!

(I also love the colors)

Offline milo88

« Reply #760 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 09:16:45 »
Hello forum ;)
I hope this keyboard makes it into production, and I would gladly preorder to show my support.

Offline Tiigon

« Reply #761 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 07:04:57 »
Hello GeekHack :)
I'm interested in getting one of these keyboards, if the price isn't too high (<€200).

Offline sndstrm

« Reply #762 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 07:17:05 »
Quote from: ripster;318146
I tune to tiger stripes to know if I have it all dialed in right periodically with a naked portafilter.
Show Image

That glass is awesome.  I like how it has the measurement for a double ristretto.  My fav!
rm -Rf /*

Offline Pylon

« Reply #763 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 09:03:25 »
Someone posted this link to a Trackpoint controller in another thread. Might be useful.
http://www.sprintek.com/products/SK7100.aspx

Offline sndstrm

« Reply #764 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 09:39:12 »
Quote from: ripster;336115

Anyway, since you bring up coffee here's a nice pour.   I always aim for Tiger Stripes.  4 days after roasting is DA BEST!

I lean more to a leopard print myself.  I dont have a home machine though.  What machine do you have?  Perhaps some custom Geek Hack Tampers need to be pursued.
rm -Rf /*

Offline sndstrm

« Reply #765 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 09:49:49 »
I do pour over but in all honesty I cant tell a difference in the quality between that and the type of coffee machine I use (a $10 severin).  A filter is a filter IMHO.  Now press, that is another story...
rm -Rf /*

Offline sordna

« Reply #766 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 12:16:40 »
Whipms. Turkish coffee, grounds and all in your cup is the real experience. Doesn't need expensive equipment either, just a $5 little pot. I wonder why no coffee shops do it in the US, besides doing it yourself, you can only get it at middle-eastern restaurants.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline kackburt

« Reply #767 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 03:05:16 »
I would definitely buy one, love my ThinkPad W500 :D
SteelSeries 7G, Cherry G80-3000HGD, Noppoo Choc Mini 84,Filco Ninja TKL, WASD Code
Microsoft 1.1 SE, SteelSeries Ikari, SteelSeries Xai, SteelSeries Sensei, SteelSeries KANA

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #768 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 08:37:08 »
ThinkPad W500's rock!!

Offline Pylon

« Reply #769 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 13:30:18 »
I have a Dell Latitude E6410 and the Trackpoint rocks. Lenovo's implementation is better from trying Thinkpads in stores, but this one is still great.

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #770 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 04:51:03 »
I'd also be interested in a kit keyboard especially, if one was available for sale without switches :D
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #771 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 12:02:05 »
Does ANYONE know what's going on with this?  I'm itching to drill a hole in the G/B/H intersection of my Poker and make my own if this project is dead.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #772 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 14:48:53 »
Quote from: ripster;341085
Have you seen Osama Bin Laden lately?

I hope you're not implying Lowpoly's sitting on a beach in Cuba with an umbrella drink in his hand laughing at the stupid Americans on CNN. :D
I'm back.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #773 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 15:40:17 »
Osama or not this keyboard looks awesome.

Very promising especially if available with the good vertical enter.

Just a suggestion to lowpoly: don't do the mistake KBC did with poker, the switches should be rotated with the led slot UP (and the cherry writing upside down), this will made any backlit mod easier.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline milo88

« Reply #774 on: Sat, 07 May 2011, 13:02:50 »
Add wireless functionality 2.4ghz or bluetooth :D

Offline sordna

« Reply #775 on: Sat, 07 May 2011, 19:58:35 »
Pleeeease, no batteries!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #776 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 15:39:26 »
Sorry for abandoning this thread. Again. :(

I have two more personal projects that bug me and somewhen in Jan/Feb working at both those and the Miniguru got me into a deadlock. I decided then to finish these two first because they were supposed to be temporary. I thought I would be finished around April but I'm still working on them. The big one is coming to an end though, the other one is small (around 4 weeks).

Quote from: pantarhei;325736
Any more specific estimates on when a mini series or a kit will be available? Mini series would be awesome, but a kit will be bought as well. :)

Are there any more detailed reasons why the production of keyboard was canceled? Really like to have my hands on one of these once a day.\

No estimates, sorry. I won't give a new deadline which I will not meet again.

Quote from: ripster;341085
Just a suggestion to lowpoly: don't do the mistake KBC did with poker, the switches should be rotated with the led slot UP (and the cherry writing upside down), this will made any backlit mod easier.

Very good point.

Quote from: milo88;343023
Add wireless functionality 2.4ghz or bluetooth :D

No wireless for now. I don't think it will work with a metal case.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #777 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 15:56:22 »
Very good point.

Looks like Ripster has hacked the forum engine to have the credits of all good points :smile:
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline mondalaci

• * Commercial Vendor
  • Lead developer of the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard
    • Ultimate Hacking Keyboard
« Reply #778 on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 11:38:40 »
lowpoly, In case you'll be back in the future here are some advice from a fellow keyboard builder that may help you.

First, consider 3D printing the case instead of milling it.  Shapeways is the way to go.  There are various materials on your disposal with different structural, mechanical and optical characteristics, and of course with different costs.  You could even open your shop there, upload the case design and sell the cases without you doing any additional work for some profit.  Customers could choose which material they prefer and order whatever they like.  It'd be also useful to try to Rit Dye some of the prints.  Even if you'll ultimately choose to mill the case, 3D printing is the choice of rapid prototyping technology for this kind of work to do some initial iterations and refine your model.

Second, I think that aiming for LED backlighting is overkill, especially considering your modest skills (no offense) in this specific area.  You should first try to design a 2-layer PCB first without LEDs.  gEDA and KiCad are free packages but they are very much limited.  Eagle is a semi-professional package providing acceptable productivity.  It's not cheap for the size of your PCB but you may wanna find a friend who has it on his computer and use Eagle on his machine.  (I'm not advocating piracy, just trying to explain that using a low-end package will make your work very hard.)  As for PCB design software OrCAD and Altium Designer is the **** if you happen to have a small fortune, but those are probably overkill for a relatively simple PCB like yours.

Third, as for manufacturing the PCB, you could choose the same "upload your design, make others manufacture it and profit from it" approach as in the case of Shapeways shops with BatchPCB.  If you choose this way then go through-hole for easy manual assembly but if you wanna get the PCBs assembled then using surface mount components would be more economical and in this case E-TekNet is the way to go but they don't provide you a shop because that wouldn't make much sense for individual orders considering the high setup costs of pick and place machines so you've gotta mass order in this case.

Fourth, you should use an AVR as the MCU with a USB core.  The ATmega*U* and AT90USB* family will work well for sure.  Online and library support is great and you can do all kinds of fancy things with a general purpose MCU like that.  Reading (bit-banging) PS/2 signals (for the trackpoint) in an interrupt handler while communicating through USB is solvable with a single MCU.  Just make sure you breadboard your circuit before ordering any PCBs.  The Teensy (or any developer board that utilize the above MCUs) is good for breadboarding.  As these MCUs are only available in SMD packages you'll have to break them out (with a breakout board) if you wanna make a through-hole design for manual assembly.

Now to my questions:

Anyone knows where to get plate mountable Cherry stabilizers?

Where did you get the trackpad from and what's the price for various quantities?

PS.: If you have any questions, please PM me.  I won't watch this thread (or any threads on Geekhack) because vBulletin is a joke in this respect (and in general) and I surely won't webscrape Geekhack to provide RSS as I did with OCN.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 June 2011, 11:43:27 by mondalaci »

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #779 on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 12:01:37 »
Quote from: mondalaci;355536
Anyone knows where to get plate mountable Cherry stabilizers?.

Mouser have them, compare part numbers to cherry's data sheet. They provide free shipping if you spend enough, the amount seems to differ from country to country though. Searching for the cherry product id also turns up components not in stock. The minimum quantity might be high then though, I think, I never ordered anything from them not in stock...

I've been trying out both Eagle and KiCAD for designing keyboard PCBs and I thought KiCAD was plenty enough and easier to work with than Eagle. My experience with PCB design is very limited though. Here is my still sort of unfinished guide. I have a set of PCBs arriving on Tuesday from pcbwing.com.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 June 2011, 12:08:52 by PrinsValium »

Offline mondalaci

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #780 on: Mon, 06 June 2011, 04:39:23 »
Quote from: PrinsValium;355553
Mouser have them, compare part numbers to cherry's data sheet. They provide free shipping if you spend enough, the amount seems to differ from country to country though. Searching for the cherry product id also turns up components not in stock. The minimum quantity might be high then though, I think, I never ordered anything from them not in stock...

Out of the 7 results of the Mouser results page maybe 5 are relevant I believe.  Out of those 5 3 are not recommended for new designs.  Unfortunately I cannot tell for sure which product is what I'm looking for because only some of them have datasheets, but Mouser surely offers a limited choice considering all the different stabilizer lengths that the Cherry should offer.  I couldn't find the part numbers of the stabilizers on the Cherry data sheet.  As a minor issue, it's weird that these parts are only available through the Swedish interface of Mouser.

Quote from: PrinsValium;355553
I've been trying out both Eagle and KiCAD for designing keyboard PCBs and I thought KiCAD was plenty enough and easier to work with than Eagle. My experience with PCB design is very limited though. Here is my still sort of unfinished guide. I have a set of PCBs arriving on Tuesday from pcbwing.com.

Thanks, I've already read your guide and I think it rocks.  To be quote honest, I've only played with KiCad few minutes but it gave me the impression that it's not a serious design application or else more people would use it.  Also, I believe that gEDA is supposed to be more professional based on what I read.  Can KiCad do design rule checks like Eagle does?

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #781 on: Mon, 06 June 2011, 06:24:10 »
Thanks =)

KiCAD does check distance between tracks of different defined classes. I don't know if it can do distance to board edges and holes and things like that. For keyboard designing I would think it is fully enough at least.

The search-fu is weak with you today me thinks... Here are the cherry codes, you want the ones "with frame". So for a 2x wide key that would be G99-0224, which they actually have in stock. If you search for the 3x wide one instead, on the US interface, you get this. The 8x wide one g99-0226 gives a more promising result (if you want 250 of them...).

The only difference between different width stabilizers is the bar length. If you have an 'A'-measure different than the specified, buying a longer one and cutting it down works. I don't know why they don't recommend some of them for new designs. If cherry have discontinued them or if it's just considered old fashioned...

Offline mondalaci

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #782 on: Mon, 06 June 2011, 09:59:25 »
Thanks a lot for showing the relevant section of the datasheet, looks like this is exactly what I'm looking for.  Cutting down the stabilizer when needed sounds pretty good.  I hope Cherry doesn't plan to deprecate their stabilizers because I consider them better than Costar stabilizers.

I'm on my way to buy some, thanks!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #783 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 21:39:07 »
I found a very impressive mod today. And it must be interesting to you guys around here too.
I think he is a GH member but not so active. It's a shame.
Anyway it is a great job!

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-TW&u=http://aries.armake.com/1229.html

Offline mSSM

« Reply #784 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 07:33:45 »
No update for almost 3 months. Is there anything new? I would love to hold this baby in my hands, even if I have to assemble it myself. :-)

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #785 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 14:53:49 »
After the long break related to other unavoidable personal projects I have a hard time getting this back on track. I thought finishing the M0110 would renew my interest, but so far nothing. :(  I really have to force myself to play with Kicad which means it rarely happens.

Anyway, someone mentioned that the MX switches should be put upside down (no, not the wires pointing in the air...). Won't this interfere with keycaps? The MX is slanted at the front, like the keycap. Anybody tried this?

First, consider 3D printing the case instead of milling it.  Shapeways is the way to go.  There are various materials on your disposal with different structural, mechanical and optical characteristics, and of course with different costs.  You could even open your shop there, upload the case design and sell the cases without you doing any additional work for some profit.  Customers could choose which material they prefer and order whatever they like.  It'd be also useful to try to Rit Dye some of the prints.  Even if you'll ultimately choose to mill the case, 3D printing is the choice of rapid prototyping technology for this kind of work to do some initial iterations and refine your model.
There was a long 3D printing article in German c't magazine lately. I did a few calculations and found a 3D printed case to be quite expensive. A milled one may be expensive too, so 3D printing is not off the table. But for prototypes, I can manually mill it myself which is time consuming but cheap.

Second, I think that aiming for LED backlighting is overkill, especially considering your modest skills (no offense) in this specific area.  You should first try to design a 2-layer PCB first without LEDs.
True, no LEDs in version 1. Still, it might be good to put the switches rotated, see above.

gEDA and KiCad are free packages but they are very much limited.  Eagle is a semi-professional package providing acceptable productivity.  It's not cheap for the size of your PCB but you may wanna find a friend who has it on his computer and use Eagle on his machine.  (I'm not advocating piracy, just trying to explain that using a low-end package will make your work very hard.)  As for PCB design software OrCAD and Altium Designer is the **** if you happen to have a small fortune, but those are probably overkill for a relatively simple PCB like yours.
Eagle is not cheap for the size we're talking about here. This would make it difficult for others to work on the design. Target (similar to Eagle) is priced by pins and better for a keyboard pcb. However, I figured most parts have to be done manually anyway, so KiCad will do. I also liked that KiCad said it supported Wings3D for the 3D representation of a part. And I had built the switches in Wings already (turned out is uses .wrl what can be written by almost any decent 3D package). Also there's already at least one successful KiCad project here in the mod forum, or even two.

Third, as for manufacturing the PCB, you could choose the same "upload your design, make others manufacture it and profit from it" approach as in the case of Shapeways shops with BatchPCB.  If you choose this way then go through-hole for easy manual assembly but if you wanna get the PCBs assembled then using surface mount components would be more economical and in this case E-TekNet is the way to go but they don't provide you a shop because that wouldn't make much sense for individual orders considering the high setup costs of pick and place machines so you've gotta mass order in this case.
It will be through-hole.

Fourth, you should use an AVR as the MCU with a USB core.  The ATmega*U* and AT90USB* family will work well for sure.  Online and library support is great and you can do all kinds of fancy things with a general purpose MCU like that.  Reading (bit-banging) PS/2 signals (for the trackpoint) in an interrupt handler while communicating through USB is solvable with a single MCU.  Just make sure you breadboard your circuit before ordering any PCBs.  The Teensy (or any developer board that utilize the above MCUs) is good for breadboarding.  As these MCUs are only available in SMD packages you'll have to break them out (with a breakout board) if you wanna make a through-hole design for manual assembly.
I want to use the Teensy. Programming is already done (including the Pointing Stick) and it is only $16.

Where did you get the trackpad from and what's the price for various quantities?
I'm not going to disclose this, sorry. I already put some strain on the distributor, so far for nothing.

PS.: If you have any questions, please PM me.
Thank you and thanks for writing that post.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #786 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 15:11:55 »
Sooo, there's hope in this getting produced?  Great!
I'm back.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #787 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 15:18:57 »
Glad to hear you're still interested in this.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline sordna

« Reply #788 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 17:56:56 »
Lowpoly, I'm VERY interested in such a keyboard. I've been using mouskeys with my KBC Poker (I hold down the capslock to turn on the 3rd level shift, which I've xmodmap'd to a numpad, so I can move the pointer and do clicks) and it's a wonderful concept, being able to mouse around without leaving the home row.
The trackpoint is ideal for this of course... if you can add a 3rd button in the middle, to do middle-click (paste and other functions on linux) it would be just about perfect.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #789 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 21:56:34 »
Glad to see this project isn't dead :-)

Quote from: lowpoly;414524
However, I figured most parts have to be done manually anyway, so KiCad will do. I also liked that KiCad said it supported Wings3D for the 3D representation of a part. And I had built the switches in Wings already (turned out is uses .wrl what can be written by almost any decent 3D package). Also there's already at least one successful KiCad project here in the mod forum, or even two.
KiCad is quite a good choice really, the file format is text so the fiddly stuff of positioning switches can be scripted (I used perl). My script and some symbols for Cherry switches etc can be found here, and more were posted by PrinsValium subsequently.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #790 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 07:19:51 »
Quote from: ironman31;414540
Glad to hear you're still interested in this.

Well, this is the 3rd and last try. :) If it stalls again I'll stop it. I have another non-keyboard related project on the horizon. This is a huge project so it's good there is something else that's stopping me from starting immediately. Maybe it will go away while I wait. ;)

Quote from: ripster;414644
You can reverse switch orientation on both high profile Filcos and low profile Cherries.  Just tried it.

Thank you. This would be the way to go then.

Quote from: Soarer;414686
KiCad is quite a good choice really, the file format is text so the fiddly stuff of positioning switches can be scripted (I used perl). My script and some symbols for Cherry switches etc can be found here, and more were posted by PrinsValium subsequently.

Awesowe, thank you.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #791 on: Tue, 13 September 2011, 08:54:09 »
lowpoly,

I am very very impress with the concept and also the EXCELLENT JOB in putting everything together in your web site http://www.guru-board.com .

Please let me know if I can do something for you inorder to keep this project alive and at least get some do it your self kits.

I wont buy those Pokers and bad HHKB clones but yours man I am 1000% willing to get some

cheers
cactux
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 September 2011, 08:58:42 by cactux »
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline JBert

« Reply #792 on: Tue, 13 September 2011, 15:52:34 »
This still beats the Poker hands down, due to the following:
  • This one's re-programmable (or the Teensy is) - no more Fn-key layer complaints.
  • It might be more mod-friendly (the Poker uses cost-friendly surface-mount components, which are a ***** to remove/replace).
  • It's got a trackpoint!
Then again, I have taken apart my Poker keyboard and I have to admit that they used some clever tricks to make it cost-effective and yet a rather stable keyboard. Check webwit's review of it over at Deskthority for close-up pictures. I believe the ridges beneath the PCB don't support the PCB itself, rather they support the switches which have a round black protrusion coming through the PCB. This makes it pretty stable without a plate, and it makes the backside of the case more solid. As such, I'd wonder if one couldn't re-use the Poker's case and switches.

Obviously, this would mean that either we need two different kits for the guru or we'd need to pretty much redistribute the Poker. But again, the Poker comes with switches, some LEDs and a whole bunch of SMT diodes (which are easier to desolder compared to the controller IC or those tiny SMT resistors). So "if you can't beat them, join them".

EDIT: At any rate, great work so far. Your mods and prototypes really are nice, so having some kind of kit for a keyboard with trackpoint would be a plus, even more when production keyboards with trackpoints are a dying breed.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 September 2011, 15:57:57 by JBert »
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #793 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 14:04:13 »
Quote from: lowpoly;414524

Anyway, someone mentioned that the MX switches should be put upside down (no, not the wires pointing in the air...). Won't this interfere with keycaps? The MX is slanted at the front, like the keycap. Anybody tried this?

Was a my suggestion...

The keycap won't interfere, btw the led does if you reverse the switch but not the stabilizer, assuming a filco like stabilizer, no problem with the cherry style ones.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #794 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 16:34:27 »
Quote from: The Solutor;416705
Was a my suggestion...

The keycap won't interfere, btw the led does if you reverse the switch but not the stabilizer, assuming a filco like stabilizer, no problem with the cherry style ones.

I'm not sober enough to understand what you try to say. But Filco style stabilizers will interfere with the switches when they are put upside down. On non-stabilized keys the orientation probably won't matter at all.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #795 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 09:57:44 »
Quote from: PrinsValium;416792
I'm not sober enough to understand what you try to say. But Filco style stabilizers will interfere with the switches when they are put upside down. On non-stabilized keys the orientation probably won't matter at all.

Noooo, again !!! :doh:

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #796 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 08:12:44 »
Does anyone knows what has been done and what need to be done in order to have a fully functional board?
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #797 on: Mon, 17 October 2011, 15:28:36 »
I am very interested in at least 2 of these. Any word on how this is coming along?

Offline Kira

• <3 <3 <3 <3
« Reply #798 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 08:16:29 »
I'd be very interested in buying, and I have a lot of patience =)
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 December 2011, 08:34:43 by Kira »

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #799 on: Thu, 08 December 2011, 07:27:53 »
It doesn't matter how long it takes or what the price will be. If this board reaches the market I'm going to buy one or two... I don't care if it comes preassembled or if I have to build it together myself IKEA style.... I want it!
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D