Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2455929 times)

Offline subcat

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5350 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 23:51:23 »
Ah, I didn't know you could tell from the logo. Oh well.

Offline E3E

« Reply #5351 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 00:00:59 »
I mean, I have some SKCM Salmons I want to get rid of, so Mattr can always just buy those and then buy the Japanese AEK II and set up a happy compromise, haha.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5352 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 00:34:13 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:07:30 by alienman82 »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #5353 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 02:23:08 »
When school starts in a few months I'm going to splurge a bit and get myself a great condition full size board like an FK-2001 and use it as my dedicated typing keyboard.

Should make writing boring essays much more tolerable!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5354 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 06:30:31 »
When school starts in a few months I'm going to splurge a bit and get myself a great condition full size board like an FK-2001 and use it as my dedicated typing keyboard.

You should, I wrote my entire PhD thesis on a ZKB-2R! :D
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Entropia

« Reply #5355 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 08:29:50 »
Any news from Matias about them releasing new and improved switches and keyboards this year?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5356 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 09:22:48 »

Of all the vintage keyboards in your extensive arsenal, why did you make the ZKB-2R your weapon of choice for writing your thesis?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5357 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 09:42:02 »

Of all the vintage keyboards in your extensive arsenal, why did you make the ZKB-2R your weapon of choice for writing your thesis?
I type on it reasonably quickly, and it's fairly silent - I work in an open office, so even just tactile Alps are rather loud. Plus, it has a very accessible layout - although I type faster on my M0116 and Pingmaster, their layouts are just weird enough that it makes a difference in the long run. Besides, it's already quite heavily used, so a bit more use won't matter - I try to keep my best boards a bit pristine. Also, it's got great desk presence. I SO WANT a NIB ZKB-2.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5358 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 10:55:59 »

I type on it reasonably quickly, and it's fairly silent - I work in an open office, so even just tactile Alps are rather loud. Plus, it has a very accessible layout - although I type faster on my M0116 and Pingmaster, their layouts are just weird enough that it makes a difference in the long run. Besides, it's already quite heavily used, so a bit more use won't matter - I try to keep my best boards a bit pristine. Also, it's got great desk presence. I SO WANT a NIB ZKB-2.
I don't have a ZKB-2 or ZKB-2R, but I have a close relative, the Zenith 163-73. I am typing on it now. This one has been my most successful "click mod" to date. I installed top housings and click leaves from white (pine) Alps. With other Alps keyboards that I have converted from linear or tactile to clicky, I have usually ended up with some flaky switches (intermittently unresponsive or chattering), but all the hybridized switches in the Zenith 163-73 work perfectly.

The layout on the Zenith 163-173 also works well for me. I've installed an internal Orihalcon-Soarer converter along with a panel-mount micro-USB connector, and I've done my customary remapping to a HHKB-esque configuration. The split Right Shift is perfect for the Fn key and the supersized Right Bracket serves as the Backspace (Fn+Right Bracket = Right Bracket).

I like typing on the modified Zenith, but in retrospect I think it might have been better to install lighter springs -- I kept the yellow Alps springs, which feel somewhat heavy. I would also like to improve the aesthetics of the board by acquiring a black label Zenith badge to replace the "tree logo" emblem. (However, you were ahead of me advertising for a black badge, so you get first pick if one turns up).

I also don't really need any of the keys outside of the main typing area, and I am most accustomed to using a 60% form factor keyboard. You have exhorted me to bite the bullet and take up soldering again, so I intend to build my own 60% Alps board based on Hasu's Alps64 PCB. I am thinking of using clickified orange Alps for the build.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5359 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 11:06:13 »
I still got an alps board ;)

Show Image

I am actually cleaning the caps tonight, but I wanted to use it a bit more first.

Hold onto it. Your interest in Alps will rekindle one day, no later than when people start to realize Cherry should have done a much better job in its modern productions. Reading the DT Thread about MX switch as the best switch design debate, a lot of fun.  :p

P.s. OMG, still haven't cleaned the caps yet?   :eek:
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 February 2017, 11:07:49 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5360 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 12:32:02 »
Some time ago, I purchased an Apple Extended Keyboard from eBay. Today I finally got around to typing on it (typing on it now) after connecting it to my USB hub with a Griffin iMate ADB to USB converter. Despite the relatively high serial number (643257) (and non-yellowed case), this one has orange Alps switches.

Everything works, but I am disappointed by the sound and feel of this keyboard. The sound is overtly hollow and the key action feels clunky. Nevertheless, I am considering giving the board a thorough cleaning and doing a click-mod on the switches by taking out the tactile leaves and replacing them with click leaves from white Alps switches. I might also try padding the case with some silicone foam.

This thing is also BIG. It seems bigger than my Northgate Omnikey 101 -- it is in fact wider, although not quite as deep. Because the upper bezel on the AEK is an unbroken expanse, it gives the impression of being deeper than it is. In any event, after using my HHKB Pro 2 sports car most of the time, typing on the AEK is like driving a 1960 Chevy Impala.

Would it be worth the trouble to refurbish the AEK and click-mod the switches, or would it be better to harvest the switches and caps for use in a custom build?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5361 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 13:26:07 »

I don't have a ZKB-2 or ZKB-2R, but I have a close relative, the Zenith 163-73. I am typing on it now. This one has been my most successful "click mod" to date. I installed top housings and click leaves from white (pine) Alps. With other Alps keyboards that I have converted from linear or tactile to clicky, I have usually ended up with some flaky switches (intermittently unresponsive or chattering), but all the hybridized switches in the Zenith 163-73 work perfectly.

The layout on the Zenith 163-173 also works well for me. I've installed an internal Orihalcon-Soarer converter along with a panel-mount micro-USB connector, and I've done my customary remapping to a HHKB-esque configuration. The split Right Shift is perfect for the Fn key and the supersized Right Bracket serves as the Backspace (Fn+Right Bracket = Right Bracket).

I like typing on the modified Zenith, but in retrospect I think it might have been better to install lighter springs -- I kept the yellow Alps springs, which feel somewhat heavy. I would also like to improve the aesthetics of the board by acquiring a black label Zenith badge to replace the "tree logo" emblem. (However, you were ahead of me advertising for a black badge, so you get first pick if one turns up).

I also don't really need any of the keys outside of the main typing area, and I am most accustomed to using a 60% form factor keyboard. You have exhorted me to bite the bullet and take up soldering again, so I intend to build my own 60% Alps board based on Hasu's Alps64 PCB. I am thinking of using clickified orange Alps for the build.
Perhaps surprisingly because of how relatively common they are, I don't actually own a yellow Alps board, so I couldn't tell anything about them — but, I have to say that green Alps are weighted perfectly, and that really contributes to why I like them so much. They're just light enough that typing on them feels almost effortless, but not light enough that you keep accidentally actuating them. It's sublime. I really wonder how well I'll like yellows, considering that. Would be interesting.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #5362 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 16:55:26 »

Very nice. But for only typing I think I prefer some delicious click clack from SKCM Whites!

Offline Delirious

« Reply #5363 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 17:15:06 »
Some time ago, I purchased an Apple Extended Keyboard from eBay. Today I finally got around to typing on it (typing on it now) after connecting it to my USB hub with a Griffin iMate ADB to USB converter. Despite the relatively high serial number (643257) (and non-yellowed case), this one has orange Alps switches.

Everything works, but I am disappointed by the sound and feel of this keyboard. The sound is overtly hollow and the key action feels clunky. Nevertheless, I am considering giving the board a thorough cleaning and doing a click-mod on the switches by taking out the tactile leaves and replacing them with click leaves from white Alps switches. I might also try padding the case with some silicone foam.

This thing is also BIG. It seems bigger than my Northgate Omnikey 101 -- it is in fact wider, although not quite as deep. Because the upper bezel on the AEK is an unbroken expanse, it gives the impression of being deeper than it is. In any event, after using my HHKB Pro 2 sports car most of the time, typing on the AEK is like driving a 1960 Chevy Impala.

Would it be worth the trouble to refurbish the AEK and click-mod the switches, or would it be better to harvest the switches and caps for use in a custom build?

In my own experience I think it's the case that contributes to the poor sound and feel. I believe the rubber tabs that hold the plate together are the main culpit. The rubber tabs soften the downstrokes by a lot. The thin plate and the plastic case further worsen the overall typing experience. The downstrokes just seem overly hollow and non-distinctive. My first time trying out Orange Alps on an AEKII, I was sorely disappointed on how boring the sound was.

Casing contributes a lot toward the feel of Alps switches in general. The worst offender I have tried so far is the Datamac 101e. Not only that, they bent every single pin so desoldering was a pain in the ass. My favorite case so far for Alps switch is the Monarch. The super thick 2mm plate is unyielding yet somehow matches perfectly with blue Alps. With the Monarch, blue Alps have responsive and consistent upstrokes, while the sound is bassy and warm to the ears.

Bonus shots: here is Lord Cat overlooks his empire:

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5364 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 17:19:58 »

Very nice. But for only typing I think I prefer some delicious click clack from SKCM Whites!
You could always click-mod the Zenith. I did this with a Zenith 163-73 (same layout as the ZKB-2 and ZKB-2R). The native 163-73 has nice dye-sub PBT keycaps and SKCL yellow Alps switches. I replaced the switch tops with those from SKCM white (pine) Alps and added white Alps click leaves. This is now one of my favorite Alps-switch keyboards.

Alternatively, you could go straight to a white Alps board. If you don't mind the Focus layout, some FK-2001 boards have SKCM white Alps, but this model number could have any of a half-dozen types of switches.

The DT wiki has a comprehensive list of keyboards with SKCM white Alps switches:

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCM_White

My own favorite white Alps board is the Northgate Omnikey 101, but this model in excellent condition tends to be expensive.

Offline catawalks

« Reply #5365 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 17:22:03 »
I mean, I have some SKCM Salmons I want to get rid of, so Mattr can always just buy those and then buy the Japanese AEK II and set up a happy compromise, haha.

How many SKCM Salmons are you talking about? And might I inquire as to their availability to other members? I might be interested in a set of those if it were a full set for the right price.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5366 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 17:22:23 »

Sounds better, I agree, but I actually type slower on them. Besides, the office would hold a lynch party if I brought the OmniKey along xD .

Offline E3E

« Reply #5367 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 17:29:33 »

How many SKCM Salmons are you talking about? And might I inquire as to their availability to other members? I might be interested in a set of those if it were a full set for the right price.

I got them from an AT101, so there's 101 of them. I planned on selling them for $40 shipped.

Offline E3E

« Reply #5368 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 17:33:49 »
I don't find that I type slower on clicky or tactile versus linear unless the switches bind.

My favorite switches are SKCL Brown overall. I still haven't spent an extensive amount of time with SKCL Striped Ambers though. Still waiting for the Alphas PCB to come in along with some other things.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #5369 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 17:36:16 »
I don't find that I type slower on clicky or tactile versus linear unless the switches bind.

My favorite switches are SKCL Brown overall. I still haven't spent an extensive amount of time with SKCL Striped Ambers though. Still waiting for the Alphas PCB to come in along with some other things.
I have a feeling that SKCL Brown feel a lot like Gateron Yellows.

Offline baloo25

« Reply #5370 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 19:01:07 »
I have a 60% orange alps build that i really loved until i finished my siig. The siig has modded salmon  alps that are really superb to type on. They're similar to the oranges but i feel the feet on the siig give a better angle to type on than the pok3r case the oranges are sitting in.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5371 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 19:57:04 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:07:23 by alienman82 »

Offline catawalks

« Reply #5372 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:06:08 »
Show Image

That a nice repurposing of the AEKII keyset.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #5373 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:07:34 »
Show Image

What took you so long :O
Seriously PBT keycaps only require some soap, some scrubbings, and blow dry in cool heat. All in less than 15 mins.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5374 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 21:55:47 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:07:11 by alienman82 »

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #5375 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 23:23:07 »
Show Image

What took you so long :O
Seriously PBT keycaps only require some soap, some scrubbings, and blow dry in cool heat. All in less than 15 mins.

I tried some dental tabs for the first time a couple weeks ago on some PBT caps, and it almost completely eliminated the scrubbing.  I just bought the cheapest stuff from Dollar Tree, and it worked fine.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline cumwagondeluxe

« Reply #5376 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 02:00:18 »
Anyone have really good condition SKCL Greens here? I purchased a baggy of them a while back, and most of the switches in the bag had a fairly significant tactile bump (not super large or anything, but it was instantly noticeable) just before bottoming out - maybe like 0.2mm before bottom out or something. Tried some more at a meet and was surprised to find that the tactile bump was almost non-existant - you could still tell it was there if you looked for it or pressed the key down pretty slowly but I'm not sure if I would notice it at all typing at full force/speed. What's normal for an SKCL green in really good condition? Visually speaking, both mine and the ones I tried seemed to be in similar condition.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5377 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 14:21:04 »
Anyone have really good condition SKCL Greens here? I purchased a baggy of them a while back, and most of the switches in the bag had a fairly significant tactile bump (not super large or anything, but it was instantly noticeable) just before bottoming out - maybe like 0.2mm before bottom out or something. Tried some more at a meet and was surprised to find that the tactile bump was almost non-existant - you could still tell it was there if you looked for it or pressed the key down pretty slowly but I'm not sure if I would notice it at all typing at full force/speed. What's normal for an SKCL green in really good condition? Visually speaking, both mine and the ones I tried seemed to be in similar condition.

Clean them? That's the only reason I can think of.

Or it sounds like their binding a bit.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline cumwagondeluxe

« Reply #5378 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 14:30:58 »

So there shouldn't really be a bump of any sort right before bottoming out, then? Damn :/ There's no visible dust/dirt on em or anything, so I can't imagine a bit of dust would cause such a wildly different feel. I did open one of them up and just push back the contact leaf a bit which made it feel like the one I tried at the meetup but I'm not sure how they even got to the state they're currently in anyway - in theory, over time the leaf should be bending back so they become more linear as opposed to the other way around.. maybe whoever I bought em off messed with em?

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5379 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 14:50:37 »

So there shouldn't really be a bump of any sort right before bottoming out, then? Damn :/ There's no visible dust/dirt on em or anything, so I can't imagine a bit of dust would cause such a wildly different feel. I did open one of them up and just push back the contact leaf a bit which made it feel like the one I tried at the meetup but I'm not sure how they even got to the state they're currently in anyway - in theory, over time the leaf should be bending back so they become more linear as opposed to the other way around.. maybe whoever I bought em off messed with em?

No, all Alps have a little bump before bottoming out, that's just how it is. The ones at the meetup were probably different feeling b/c they were in a board rather than being loose switches.

Offline E3E

« Reply #5380 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 18:20:55 »

No, all Alps have a little bump before bottoming out, that's just how it is. The ones at the meetup were probably different feeling b/c they were in a board rather than being loose switches.

Alps ruined for 80% of Cherry MX users.

It is kind of a shame that Alps has this in a way. I find Alps switches to be much smoother than MX (especially stock vs stock), but that little bump does prevent it from being entirely smooth. I honestly never really notice it, but it is definitely there and can be felt with a slow, deliberate press.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5381 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 18:53:30 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:06:58 by alienman82 »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #5382 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 02:03:05 »
Yeah all Alps have a second smaller tactile bump shortly before bottom out.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #5383 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 19:23:13 »
Got an Alpsulator today, I'm going to replace the switches with some SKCM blues and I wanted to replace the caps but I've run into an issue. The switch spacing is really weird, on the x axis the switches are spaced 0.9u apart and on the y they are spaced 1.1u apart. Not sure why this choice was made but someone decided it was a good idea
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5384 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 13:16:17 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5385 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 14:35:03 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:06:42 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #5386 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 15:39:46 »
So whose the one that bought all these Tandems today and yesterday?!!!?!?!? :eek:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232249215551
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232249216954
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232248410073
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232248208848

I'm just wondering which ones will have ambers and which ones will have browns. Can't go wrong with buying a Tandem, though seeing the seller slowly raise the price is kind of annoying.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5387 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 15:45:35 »
So whose the one that bought all these Tandems today and yesterday?!!!?!?!? :eek:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232249215551
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232249216954
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232248410073
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232248208848

I'm just wondering which ones will have ambers and which ones will have browns. Can't go wrong with buying a Tandem, though seeing the seller slowly raise the price is kind of annoying.

Yea.

Read the Deskthority great interesting finds thread, all caught up now. For those wondering we know 2 of them were had by members but the other two we don't know yet.

Also two are Brown, other two we don't know.

Offline E3E

« Reply #5388 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 17:38:14 »
Yea.

Read the Deskthority great interesting finds thread, all caught up now. For those wondering we know 2 of them were had by members but the other two we don't know yet.

Also two are Brown, other two we don't know.

Linear brownsies! Let's see if any Striped Ambers pop up!

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5389 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 17:40:32 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:06:39 by alienman82 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5390 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 17:43:33 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:06:36 by alienman82 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5391 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 20:35:26 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:06:33 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5392 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 22:48:52 »
Now the proud owner of a Japanese AEKII! I think i'm done buying back old boards I used to own :p Those are the two i've been missing ever since I sold them. Both are better versions of the old ones though. Thick not thin PBT G80 and Japanese sublegend AEKII.

Clean too. It just needs some retrobright help. Also going to swap in SKCM Cream. I think Mike can help me with that ;)

Offline subcat

« Reply #5393 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 22:54:55 »
Woo! Excited to get my Striped Amber - now I'm only missing SKCL Cream - assuming my Tandem 6526 comes with Browns. Thanks for the trade!

Offline E3E

« Reply #5394 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 23:46:07 »
Woo! Excited to get my Striped Amber - now I'm only missing SKCL Cream - assuming my Tandem 6526 comes with Browns. Thanks for the trade!

Hey, you grabbed one from eBay? :P

Offline subcat

« Reply #5395 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 00:17:10 »
Sure did! ...after the seller had tripled the price from the ones he originally sold  :'(
I still need some SKCM Creams from that NeXt board of yours, by the way! :p

Offline E3E

« Reply #5396 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 00:48:38 »
Sure did! ...after the seller had tripled the price from the ones he originally sold  :'(
I still need some SKCM Creams from that NeXt board of yours, by the way! :p

Yes yes, please PM me here! Reddit is a little chaotic at times.

Offline E3E

« Reply #5397 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 13:06:52 »
I never thought I'd buy an FK-2001...

...but I did.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5398 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 13:13:57 »

Show Image

...but I did.
IT WAS YOU! I was wondering who had managed to kidnap that thing from under me :p .

Offline E3E

« Reply #5399 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 13:37:20 »

Show Image

...but I did.
IT WAS YOU! I was wondering who had managed to kidnap that thing from under me :p .

I don't know why my first impulse was to laugh.

I feel like a villain.