Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2448654 times)

Offline E3E

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5550 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 09:06:39 »
Show Image

Finally got it in the mail. I do have to say that the clicky switch's sound on this board is fantastic. It's a nice deeper sounding click compared to mx blues

As a linear guy, I'm not really used to typing on these kinds of switches. Having to wait for the switch to reset makes me have to type more slowly and deliberately
Very nice. I recently got one of those too, however I am only getting the keycaps. cherry profile doubleshot alps keycaps. soooo nice

wait.. whaaaat????
Tell me more about these cherry profile doubleshot alps keycaps!!!

Here's one!

My one :)

Yeah, I talked about this with Mike before they posted. Yep, that's pretty much the gist of it.

Offline E3E

« Reply #5551 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 09:11:25 »
Another option is getting an Infinty PCB and you don't even need to install sockets for the switches. E3E figured this out a while ago and I have tested the connection to be very reliable. This guy on Reddit also makes a PCB for the Varmillo VA68m using the same switchhole dimensions. That's the next project.

Oh, I'm so happy someone noticed this too. I, ironically, didn't notice this part of your post. Yes, the Infinity keyboard has built in hotswapping inadvertently due to tighter tolerances for the switch positions. I almost regret having sold mine since it made such a perfect functional test bed for Alps switches.

I highly recommend using one if you want a quick and easy way to hot swap switches. Like Mandrew said, it's very reliable, despite the naysayers. Nothing to worry about and even easier to swap than with holtites.

I appreciate your observations, Mandrew. :)

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5552 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 10:36:39 »
Show Image

Finally got it in the mail. I do have to say that the clicky switch's sound on this board is fantastic. It's a nice deeper sounding click compared to mx blues

As a linear guy, I'm not really used to typing on these kinds of switches. Having to wait for the switch to reset makes me have to type more slowly and deliberately
Very nice. I recently got one of those too, however I am only getting the keycaps. cherry profile doubleshot alps keycaps. soooo nice

wait.. whaaaat????
Watch this.

Show Image

Show Image

wait.. whaaaat????

Here's one!

Show Image

Yeah, I talked about this with Mike before they posted. Yep, that's pretty much the gist of it.

I try not to remind myself that these caps exist (by the way who made these? Tai Hao Alps are much thinner) and pray to the old and the new keyboard gods that Matias will deliver some affordable nice thick dyesub for Alps this year or next.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5553 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 11:43:46 »
Show Image

wait.. whaaaat????
Watch this.

Show Image

Show Image

wait.. whaaaat????

Here's one!

Show Image

I try not to remind myself that these caps exist (by the way who made these? Tai Hao Alps are much thinner) and pray to the old and the new keyboard gods that Matias will deliver some affordable nice thick dyesub for Alps this year or next.
Tai hao made them, but they switched to the thinner caps to save production cost. They do not have the molds anymore.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5554 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 17:44:47 »
So guys, I need your help. I am thinking of selling my Packard Bell T9102 for a new Model F77. I am leaning toward the F77 since I have always wanted a Model F, and in that layout in Industrial Gray, with my special typesetting keycaps I have it would make an absolutely amazing board. Plus I still have my SKCM Amber board so I'm not completely rid of glorious first gen clicky Alps. Plus boards like my SKCM Cream AEKII.

I have already discussed this with E3E, but I thought I would seek your advice as well. Anyone interested in the Packard Bell can PM me. E3E and I came up with a price of $350 since it's NOS, ANSI, SKCM Blue, not yellowed in the slightest (including indicator label and that isn't reversible), no shine on the Alps Electric doubleshot caps, built very well with a metal backplate, and has a perfect coiled cable. Pretty much everything you could ask for!

Your guy's opinion??? The last round of the new Model F's ends on the 31st :confused:
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline E3E

« Reply #5555 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 17:51:29 »
To back up the mintness of the Packard Bell, it's the only one I have ever seen in such great condition and without a yellowed indicator label. Examples of boards like ohaimark's DC-3014 and itzmeluigi's KB101A have sold just above the $400 mark on eBay (and the KB101A wasn't even mint), so I feel like this is a very reasonable price for something so immaculate and in the same league imo.

The metal back may be a selling point for some, and this is the only Alps ANSI board with blue Alps and a metal back panel.

If the F77 replica is part of a dream build you have, I'd go for it without hesitation. Fulfilling visions like that you have for a build is very satisfying and rewarding.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5556 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 18:00:37 »
God this feels weird.

Expecting a flooded inbox anytime now lol.

Offline Tuntematon

« Reply #5557 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 19:27:48 »
Good luck! $350 should be attainable. Where did you see the 31st as the final deadline? I've been procrastinating on my F77 purchase but I couldn't find anything about this deadline.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5558 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 19:33:11 »
Good luck! $350 should be attainable. Where did you see the 31st as the final deadline? I've been procrastinating on my F77 purchase but I couldn't find anything about this deadline.

Sold it.

$200,000.00+ so far in orders (2/28/17)! Please have your orders in by 3/31/2017!

Not sure if it's for the early bird timeline though.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5559 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 20:02:56 »

Sold it.

$200,000.00+ so far in orders (2/28/17)! Please have your orders in by 3/31/2017!

Glad you sold it. Whoever got it got a pretty cool board.

Offline Tuntematon

« Reply #5560 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 21:29:02 »

Sold it.

Congrats on the sale. I've always coveted that Packard Bell, I would have rushed to PM you if I had the money to throw around! :) I think that must be the early bird deadline. There should be a decent separation between the two, as far as I know.

Offline E3E

« Reply #5561 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 21:45:56 »
That was fast. Crazy!

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #5562 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 22:13:32 »
Good guy Mattr, posting it in the Appreciation thread first  ;)
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5563 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 12:57:13 »
So guys, I need your help. I am thinking of selling my Packard Bell T9102 for a new Model F77. I am leaning toward the F77 since I have always wanted a Model F, and in that layout in Industrial Gray, with my special typesetting keycaps I have it would make an absolutely amazing board. Plus I still have my SKCM Amber board so I'm not completely rid of glorious first gen clicky Alps. Plus boards like my SKCM Cream AEKII.

I have already discussed this with E3E, but I thought I would seek your advice as well. Anyone interested in the Packard Bell can PM me. E3E and I came up with a price of $350 since it's NOS, ANSI, SKCM Blue, not yellowed in the slightest (including indicator label and that isn't reversible), no shine on the Alps Electric doubleshot caps, built very well with a metal backplate, and has a perfect coiled cable. Pretty much everything you could ask for!

Your guy's opinion??? The last round of the new Model F's ends on the 31st :confused:
All things considered, seems like a fair asking price for the Packard Bell. Wish I could afford it, but I am overspent these days.

Regarding the F62/F77, are you thinking of the original-type case or the "ultracompact" case?

My own preference is the F62 -- I like the form factor (both size and symmetry) and layout. I also tend to favor the original-type case, as it replicates the original Kishsaver and it is a better-known quantity than the ultracompact version.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5564 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 19:10:55 »
All things considered, seems like a fair asking price for the Packard Bell. Wish I could afford it, but I am overspent these days.

Regarding the F62/F77, are you thinking of the original-type case or the "ultracompact" case?

My own preference is the F62 -- I like the form factor (both size and symmetry) and layout. I also tend to favor the original-type case, as it replicates the original Kishsaver and it is a better-known quantity than the ultracompact version.

Yea I'm going for the original case for sure. I want a F77 b/c cursor keys. I don't mind 60%'s but if it's gonna be on my desk 24/7 I want them cursor keys lol. It's just a lot more convenient for me than pressing Fn constantly. The F77 is also the perfect layout for me with the numpad up top. I never use the insert/end keys anyway.

What color are you going to get? For me its Industrial Gray all the way :p Will look great with the green sublegend caps I have.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #5565 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 21:14:05 »
Hey, i figured that all the Alps guys might be interested in my classifieds, I'm selling all of my remaining Alps keycaps.  I love Alps and Matias, think they are vastly superior to anything Cherry out there, and consider myself an Alps enthusiast, but I've actually become a bigger fan of Topre.  Anyways, if you want any of my remaining Alps/Matias stuff, here it is.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46277.0
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5566 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 21:15:57 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:02:25 by alienman82 »

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #5567 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 21:17:10 »
Hey, i figured that all the Alps guys might be interested in my classifieds, I'm selling all of my remaining Alps keycaps.  I love Alps and Matias, think they are vastly superior to anything Cherry out there, and consider myself an Alps enthusiast, but I've actually become a bigger fan of Topre.  Anyways, if you want any of my remaining Alps/Matias stuff, here it is.

just go to reddit stuff sells way faster

Can't stand reddit and every time I make a post I have an error and I have no clue what it is and I can't ever get my stuff to fully post.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5568 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 21:18:22 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:02:22 by alienman82 »

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #5569 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 21:24:59 »

Can't stand reddit and every time I make a post I have an error and I have no clue what it is and I can't ever get my stuff to fully post.

lol your loss.  Nothing sells here unless it's super sought after.

Meh, I sell some things here and there, but I will resort to reddit, if need be.

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #5570 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 21:37:33 »

lol your loss.  Nothing sells here unless it's super sought after.

Meh, I sell some things here and there, but I will resort to reddit, if need be.

I always post my stuff here for a few days and if it doesn't sell, I go to Reddit and add a 2% tax. So much easier to bump items within the Classifieds.

By the way, I sent you a PM  :)

My Classifieds Thread

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5571 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 21:54:54 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:02:19 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5572 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 22:47:48 »
Bought my F77!!! Got it in industrial gray with the numpad/cursor key combo, and with the HHKB split right shift (gives me a Fn) but with a normal ANSI 2U backspace of course. Yay! Also bought two original IBM relegendable caps for the win keys. Expensive at $8 a piece but worth it lol.

I still enjoy the Packard Bell but with with my SKCM Amber V60 it's ok :)

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #5573 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 23:00:48 »
Yes, part of the reason I didn't get one is that I don't really want an ANSI one, but the ISO verion is pretty rare.

That reskinned AT102.

Did you ever find any ANSI models at the recyclers? I'd think not, but I'm curious.
Yes, I found an Acer 6511 and an AEK in ANSI layout there. The 6511 was brand-new and had Alps-mount caps as well, so I have a brand-new replacement set for my KB-101A ^^ .

I meant SGI granite, whoops. When I said "ANSI," I probably already had the logic in my mind but forgot that I didn't clarify it in the message. Probably wrote ANSI there without even thinking, whoops.

Always nice to have replacement key sets for when one wears out or if you want to just keep one for when you make it a "showroom" board for pictures or just to look pretty, haha.
No, I don't own an SGI.

What also makes me reluctant to buy one is that I want an unyellowed one. So I might well have to wait for one xD .
Got a yellowed one for free from a warehouse pull, took one Texas Summer Saturday to fix that. These de-yellow quite easily. Mine wasn't THAT yellowed though...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5574 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 06:17:48 »

That's also my impression - but why is that?
And when to put things on eBay or local sites like Craiglist?

In here (esp. this thread in GH) and in DT, the audience is more often very specific and they know more what they're doing, at least seems to me so.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #5575 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 07:57:17 »
Often times the people that will buy the quickest or pay the most are not those that prefer to discuss those enthusiasm in detail.

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #5576 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 11:29:14 »
Was scrolling through Reddit and saw someone sold a few SKCL Browns.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5577 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 13:02:32 »
Was scrolling through Reddit and saw someone sold a few SKCL Browns.

Right, I saw that too.
$150 for 110 Alps SKCL Browns + shipping
and in another listing
$150 for 110 Alps SKCM Blues shipped

Both from Australia.

Kind of are a good deal for both of those, sometimes people can find in /r/MM. The buyers are blessed by Alps gods probably.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 March 2017, 13:04:03 by menuhin »
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5578 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 15:38:23 »

Your wisdom is needling my conscience. I am typing this on a HHKB, which is my all-time favorite keyboard. Yet I keep acquiring keyboards with Alps or Matias switches and doing refurbishing projects on them. Maybe I will continue selling off my Cherry-switch (and clones) keyboards (and switches and keycaps) -- I hardly use the mx stuff anymore (except occasionally to confirm my preference for Topre, IBM Model F, and Alps/Matias).

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5579 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 15:50:03 »
My situation is getting more and more similar - I even want to have a HHKB Pro 1 recently.
And it is ridiculous that I am fascinated by and still trying to buy key caps and key cap sets that support only MX switches.

My solution is to dedicate my Alps builds to the tactile and clicky switches, and MX to linear.
But wait... Alps and Topre still kind of overlap.

Topre is like my coffee, and occasionally I want to switch to tea (Alps) and enjoy all the rituals involved, e.g. ultrasound cleaning, etc.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5580 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 16:40:42 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:02:16 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5581 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 18:55:17 »
Old Alps logo FTW!

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5582 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 18:56:09 »
Show Image

Show Image

newest Alps PCB's

Not sure what I'll do with it right now, but it looks very nice.
**** now I need to solder SMD diodes -_ -

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #5583 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 19:20:21 »

Your wisdom is needling my conscience. I am typing this on a HHKB, which is my all-time favorite keyboard. Yet I keep acquiring keyboards with Alps or Matias switches and doing refurbishing projects on them. Maybe I will continue selling off my Cherry-switch (and clones) keyboards (and switches and keycaps) -- I hardly use the mx stuff anymore (except occasionally to confirm my preference for Topre, IBM Model F, and Alps/Matias).

My situation is getting more and more similar - I even want to have a HHKB Pro 1 recently.
And it is ridiculous that I am fascinated by and still trying to buy key caps and key cap sets that support only MX switches.

My solution is to dedicate my Alps builds to the tactile and clicky switches, and MX to linear.
But wait... Alps and Topre still kind of overlap.

Topre is like my coffee, and occasionally I want to switch to tea (Alps) and enjoy all the rituals involved, e.g. ultrasound cleaning, etc.

Oops, I didn't mean to sew doubt into the minds of Alps enthusiasts!  I got rid of the Cherry MX keyboards ages ago, because my philosophy was that a switch that required significant modification to the make the switch more enjoyable (different springs, lubing, etc) was not actually a good switch.  Cherry switches are not optimized for the tactile typist, more for the gamer and an attempt at mimicking buckling springs (blue and green).   Gateron and Zeal PC have done a good job responding to Cherry's shortcomings.  Matias switches are perfectly enjoyable to use without modification, along with some Topre variants.

Alps/Matias still offer significant advantages over Topre to the enthusiast.  Ability to customize the springs, high actuation point, use with custom layouts or keyboards, an option for clicky or linear switches, variety of keycap sets available, can modify the switch while soldered.

It all depends upon what you prefer.  I just personally hate having things around that I don't use.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 March 2017, 20:37:37 by vivalarevolución »

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #5584 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 13:22:19 »
Does anyone know if the caps on any of the Canon Typestar series typewriters are Alps compatible?

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5585 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 17:32:08 »
Does anyone know if the caps on any of the Canon Typestar series typewriters are Alps compatible?

I don't think so no.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5586 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 17:33:34 »
So i'm 10 SKCM Browns short for a complete swap into a Wang 725, anyone have any they could spare?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5587 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 18:12:21 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:01:59 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5588 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 19:13:23 »
So i'm 10 SKCM Browns short for a complete swap into a Wang 725, anyone have any they could spare?

everyone and their brother is ten short for a TKL though!

Good luck!

Thanks. Shouldn't be too hard hopefully.

Anyone have any interest in a clean non shined set of SGI caps? Have to wait two days before posting again in MechMarket >:D

Offline zutroy

« Reply #5589 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 15:29:00 »
Has anyone ever experienced a slight clicking with tactile ALPS switches on the upstroke right as you release the key (not on the downstroke as with normal clicky ALPS)? I'm typing on a board with harvested damped creams, and maybe ~10% of the switches do this—the rest move through the upstroke with the usual "thunky" noise that damped switches make. I fixed one switch by simply opening it up and resetting it, but haven't had that kind of luck with others.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but you're all ALPS experts, so I thought you might have experienced something similar.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #5590 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 15:42:27 »
I am just popping in to share something a little different than our usual fare here on the Alps Appreciation thread. It's a little off-topic, but it is arguably appreciating Alps so I don't think anyone will mind. I present to you... the Alps mug:

"Now you can combine your favorite beverage with your favorite key switch manufacturer!"

I vectorized the Alps logo and used the resulting SVG to make it (which you can find attached to this post). If you want one, you can order your own here.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5591 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 16:49:19 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:01:48 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #5592 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 18:00:07 »
I am just popping in to share something a little different than our usual fare here on the Alps Appreciation thread. It's a little off-topic, but it is arguably appreciating Alps so I don't think anyone will mind. I present to you... the Alps mug:

Show Image

"Now you can combine your favorite beverage with your favorite key switch manufacturer!"

I vectorized the Alps logo and used the resulting SVG to make it (which you can find attached to this post). If you want one, you can order your own here.

Dude thanks so much for that SVG.  This is something I wanted to do for a while, but I'm not the best at working with AI.

We cheated a little but yeah, it's great to have now, huh? Haha

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5593 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 19:23:59 »

Show Image

That's... awesome?!
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5594 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 22:30:20 »
Oh BTW if anyone has any amount of SKCM Brown they'd be willing to part with, let me know. Might have to end up sourcing them from multiple people. Mike has 2.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #5595 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 00:02:18 »
Would Ambers from Apple IIC be a good midpoint between Blues and Pine Whites? I started using pine whites for a little bit and they started to grow on me. Then I took out my blues just for comparison and holy ****. The differences are just sad. Why did I even bother with white.

Offline E3E

« Reply #5596 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 00:59:51 »
Would Ambers from Apple IIC be a good midpoint between Blues and Pine Whites? I started using pine whites for a little bit and they started to grow on me. Then I took out my blues just for comparison and holy ****. The differences are just sad. Why did I even bother with white.

You could say that, but the exceed the SKCM White's tactility and are actually one of the most tactile switches of the Alps family. The weight isn't too bad. Let me measure it with nickles and such right now.

Okay, just measured SKCM Amber on an IIc I have for a customer. I get it to bottom out every time at 75 grams, so it's a 5g difference between SKCM White.

SKCM Amber - 75g

SKCM White - 70g

SKCM Blue (for refrence with my weights) - 65g

The bigger difference is that the SKCM Amber has a more refined feel and a more robust and solid click that's in the middle between SKCM Blue and White. Not as nice as blue, but definitely nicer than whites.

I'm tempted to say that they are also smoother than whites, but if you have pine SKCM White in good condition, they might be very similar in smoothness. Also be aware that you aren't using bamboo SKCM Whites which lack slitted tops and feel a lot cheaper in comparison to pine versions.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5597 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 03:19:27 »
They're basically blues except more tactile. Very nice switches.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5598 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 19:13:25 »
Only need 8 SKCM Brown now.

For the rest I am offering the reward of 1 SKCL Striped Amber, yes you heard me correctly ;)

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5599 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 22:58:52 »
I have successfully collected the last of the Browns :D