Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2450774 times)

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5600 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 14:44:41 »
I really would like to do an Alps Atreus. Found the kicad files Technomancy posted to github and decided to make it hotswappable for alps. After stumbling through kicad for a while I figured out how to replace all the footprints containing pads for full alps compatibility. This means the schematics for programming are exactly the same as Technomancy's Atreus.

Should I make all the holes 2mm to allow the installation of holtite sockets (pricier) or use the same universal pads that Input Club uses on their Infinity PCBs which are tight enough for hotswappability? Leaning towards the universal.

I have to order the batch in a minimum qty of 5 and plan on selling leftovers for ~$9+ shipping. If more than three people are interested, I will order ten of them and price will be $6+ shipping . All you need past that is an A-Star controller and 1N4148 diodes. I am ordering this regardless of interest and trying to sell leftovers but figured its cheap enough of an alps switchtester others might want one.

Also I am selling my set of Alpine winter with height defects if anyone is into that.  ;D

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 March 2017, 14:49:16 by MandrewDavis »
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5601 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 16:31:19 »
Alps Atreus!  :thumb:

There is also this person on /r/mk who shares his ever-changing prototypes of small size Ergoboard in Alps switches.
He made a lot of good points in his design decisions, although he's more like a practical engineer and not someone like who can perfect a piece of art.
His latest Alps mini-ergoboard looks quite well designed, e.g. the layout, the angles of hands.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #5602 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 23:52:06 »
Just received some cut acrylic for prototyping and with the extra space I would have a few of Mr Bishop's scorpion tools cut. His dxf designmust not have accounted for kerf so I had to widen the materials to grip the sliders. Disassembled ~80 yellow alps for cleaning in just a few minutes.  Anyway, I attached the dxf file that worked for me and if anyone wants one I can send the five I have out for the price of shipping.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 April 2017, 05:17:01 by MandrewDavis »

My Classifieds Thread

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5603 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 08:20:34 »
My experience is that the tool works particularly well with the switches still mounted in place.

« Last Edit: Sat, 01 April 2017, 08:23:06 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5604 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 21:57:12 »

SMD Diodes all soldered :)

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #5605 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 06:12:21 »
Show Image

Wow where'd you get that white pcb? So pretty. I've got one lined up for a future build but its the normal black solder mask.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5606 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 07:31:00 »
Show Image

Wow where'd you get that white pcb? So pretty. I've got one lined up for a future build but its the normal black solder mask.
Custom order from leeku, we got the alps logo printed on it as well. It came out so nice I made it my new avatar :)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5607 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 10:11:36 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:01:25 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #5608 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 18:08:12 »
Show Image

Custom order from leeku, we got the alps logo printed on it as well. It came out so nice I made it my new avatar :)

Yes I believe it was either my or E3E's idea to get the logo.  He has some more, but I believe he is away from Korea for a month or so.

Yep, I pretty much call it a collaborative effort between Mike, Alienman, and myself. We picked out the most suitable mask for our tastes and I had the idea for the logo along with the "MADE IN KOREA" printing taking a cue from the Tandem 6526 PCB.

They're definitely very special PCBs.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #5609 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 18:13:55 »
Show Image

Dang! Have you got any extras you could sell? Or is it better to contact Leeku via email?
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5610 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 18:35:23 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:01:22 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #5611 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 19:12:49 »
Show Image

Dang! Have you got any extras you could sell? Or is it better to contact Leeku via email?

he is definitely away for a while, but I know he was at least 15 extras.

Yeah, I remember the quantity being ~20.  Yeah, he won't be able to ship for a while at the moment. I have two extra PCBs myself.

I've hotswap modded my own. :)

« Last Edit: Sun, 02 April 2017, 19:15:48 by E3E »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5612 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 10:12:07 »
So sometimes the hotswap mod for Alps switches will have the Holtite receptacles sticking out instead of seated flush with the PCB?

I really want to try to mod my SGI Granite Hotswappable, and perhaps also the Zenith Z-150, and perhaps some more. But those have single layer PCB and I probably have to drill holes and also solder the receptacles after installing them. And Holtite, because of its structure, may not be suitable for such a task, e.g. being soldered at the pointed end.

May want to source some cheap but working receptacles for Alps from TaoBao for such a purpose.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline E3E

« Reply #5613 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 10:43:54 »
So sometimes the hotswap mod for Alps switches will have the Holtite receptacles sticking out instead of seated flush with the PCB?

I really want to try to mod my SGI Granite Hotswappable, and perhaps also the Zenith Z-150, and perhaps some more. But those have single layer PCB and I probably have to drill holes and also solder the receptacles after installing them. And Holtite, because of its structure, may not be suitable for such a task, e.g. being soldered at the pointed end.

May want to source some cheap but working receptacles for Alps from TaoBao for such a purpose.

You're viewing the PCB upside down. They will be flush if they're inserted properly.

Yeah, I wouldn't count on using holtites for the older PCBs. Something that's wide enough and designed for soldering would work, like a mill max socket. It will almost invariably not be flush with the board, but it's a small price to pay for compatibility. You will have to use a drill though, again (and hope that enough of the pad is left for soldering).

I might make this hotswap mod process for Alps look trivial, but it really isn't. The Leeku L3 Alphas PCB is particularly difficult compared to other PCBs I've worked with. I've had to fix every single connection after drilling. Conductive ink is a godsend.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 April 2017, 10:49:36 by E3E »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5614 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 11:26:57 »
... I've had to fix every single connection after drilling. Conductive ink ...

:eek:

I know, after drilling there may not be enough conductive pad for that pin hole already.

And other aspects about make older Alps boards hotswappable is that I am not sure if their plates are mounted or their PCBs are mounted. If mainly just the PCB is stabilized, then typing on such a hotswap modded old board may feel real wobbly.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline E3E

« Reply #5615 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 12:24:49 »
... I've had to fix every single connection after drilling. Conductive ink ...

:eek:

I know, after drilling there may not be enough conductive pad for that pin hole already.

And other aspects about make older Alps boards hotswappable is that I am not sure if their plates are mounted or their PCBs are mounted. If mainly just the PCB is stabilized, then typing on such a hotswap modded old board may feel real wobbly.

Why do you say you think that a modded board would be wobbly? If the case design is good then there shouldn't be an issues or unnecessary lift or slip when removing and replacing switches.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5616 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 12:37:47 »
I haven't tried any of these before, it is just my speculation:

If the PCB is mounted to the plastic case and the metal plate is sort of floating / mainly stabilized by the switches, and if the switches are all connected only through receptacles to the PCB, then I assume the feel of key press will not be as solid as when the switches are soldered in, or when the plate is mounted ("top-mounted").
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline E3E

« Reply #5617 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 12:51:31 »
I haven't tried any of these before, it is just my speculation:

If the PCB is mounted to the plastic case and the metal plate is sort of floating / mainly stabilized by the switches, and if the switches are all connected only through receptacles to the PCB, then I assume the feel of key press will not be as solid as when the switches are soldered in, or when the plate is mounted ("top-mounted").

Haha, I don't think you understand just how solidly the switches are held in! They don't just slip in like they're free-floating, but are held pretty snug, that combined with the plate makes them very solid. In my experience, and I've got five of these hotswap builds now, there's no difference in terms of key press at all between soldered and holtite socketed.

It's true that you can potentially pull out a switch during a key cap pull if the cap is particularly tight, but the benefits outweigh the minor convenience imo. Feel-wise, they're pretty much identical.

I'm a little confused about the idea of the switches feeling less solid in a "tray mounted" setup though. Are you saying because the plate isn't supported by screws? The switches support the plate just as well as if they were soldered, in my experience.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5618 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 16:52:49 »

Finally finished it :)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #5619 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 10:26:24 »
Show Image

The original documentation really puts this over the top. Well done!
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5620 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 11:26:25 »
I'm a little confused about the idea of the switches feeling less solid in a "tray mounted" setup though. Are you saying because the plate isn't supported by screws? The switches support the plate just as well as if they were soldered, in my experience.

Perhaps it is just me trying to get the most solid top-mount experience for linear switch. I actually type a lot on HHKB and feel that is adequate, so there shouldn't be a problem for me about tray-mounted board with plate-mounted switches.

I am in the process of looking for parts for a 'True' HHKB build for the Infinity 60% PCB, got stuck in frustration about the nonavailability of HHKB-style case, all of those can be found only in /r/mm with premium, or in some future group-buys. It is not that totally don't like modern ANSI layout, but the symmetry is HHKB layout is much more pleasing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 April 2017, 14:33:45 by menuhin »
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5621 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 13:09:47 »
Show Image

Another painter of Northgate cases!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5622 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 12:05:39 »
Monterey Blues in my new SIIG Minitouch, highly underrated!!! :thumb:

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5623 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 14:09:53 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:00:30 by alienman82 »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5624 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 14:35:48 »
Monterey Blues in my new SIIG Minitouch, highly underrated!!! :thumb:

new as in new? or new to you?

There was one on eBay, but the dude wants way too much for the **** condition it's in.

Brand new and new to me!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5625 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 20:13:58 »

new as in new?

A few years ago there were a dozen or so new-in-box listed on ebay in Florida for a ridiculous price like $20-$30.

I could only afford 1 but then I listed them here and they were gone within the hour.

Eventually I sold mine unopened for 2x-3x what I paid for it when I realized that I would never give it the home it deserved.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5626 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 13:09:29 »

new as in new?

A few years ago there were a dozen or so new-in-box listed on ebay in Florida for a ridiculous price like $20-$30.

I could only afford 1 but then I listed them here and they were gone within the hour.

Eventually I sold mine unopened for 2x-3x what I paid for it when I realized that I would never give it the home it deserved.

I paid A LOT more than that, ouch! But hey, it's a great board.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5627 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 13:28:55 »

new as in new?

Similar story here. I wanted to like the board, but the layout didn't work for me. Such is the case with all the boards I've tried in the twilight zone between 60% and TKL or full-size.  However, I still have a SIIG Suntouch Jr with SKCM white Alps that might work.

165828-0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60490.0

I'm thinking of remapping the Backslash to Enter and remapping Enter to Backspace. This should be a better configuration than I could get  with the backward-L Enter on the SIIG Minitouch.

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #5628 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 14:50:40 »
Can anyone advise - SKCM Cream Damped vs. SKCM White Damped.. In a like-for-like situation which would be preferable? I've been offered both in trade, just wondering if there's any significant differences?
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5629 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 15:06:53 »

new as in new?

Similar story here. I wanted to like the board, but the layout didn't work for me. Such is the case with all the boards I've tried in the twilight zone between 60% and TKL or full-size.  However, I still have a SIIG Suntouch Jr with SKCM white Alps that might work.

(Attachment Link)
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60490.0

I'm thinking of remapping the Backslash to Enter and remapping Enter to Backspace. This should be a better configuration than I could get  with the backward-L Enter on the SIIG Minitouch.

How are you going to remap? Teensy?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5630 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 15:24:33 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:00:01 by alienman82 »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5631 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 16:22:14 »
@digi: For remapping, I usually start with remapping software. My favorite for Windows is ATNsoft Key Manager. Then if it appears that the remapping is what I want, and if I am serious about the keyboard, I move to either an internal or external converter using a Teensy or similar board with Soarer's converter. Depending on the keyboard and its controller, I might use a Hasu or Xwhatsit converter.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5632 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 16:23:30 »
@digi: For remapping, I usually start with remapping software. My favorite for Windows is ATNsoft Key Manager. Then if it appears that the remapping is what I want, and if I am serious about the keyboard, I move to either an internal or external converter using a Teensy or similar board with Soarer's converter. Depending on the keyboard and its controller, I might use a Hasu or Xwhatsit converter.

Cool! Thanks, yea I need to play around with that, I was chatting with Alienman about it too..

Cross-posting (and dressing) this beauty from the Post your Alps board thread:

« Last Edit: Fri, 14 April 2017, 16:31:30 by digi »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #5633 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 21:38:59 »
Had another interesting thrift store find today.

Not sure what the exact switches are, but I think they are SKBM Alps they are actually a mantis-alps clone because they are really loud and really pingy. The "numlock/clear" key uses a green, linear switch and has an intergreted LED. The tactility feels very strong and they are quite stiff.

The enter key seems to use some tactile but non-clicky switch. I have been unable to remove the keycap though so it could just be a weird stab making it act funny.

Couldn't find much information on this keyboard.

« Last Edit: Fri, 14 April 2017, 23:26:23 by klennkellon »

Offline Delirious

« Reply #5634 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 23:51:43 »

Had to sacrifice a Next non-adb for this. I don't know where should I clue the apple logo
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 April 2017, 23:55:52 by Delirious »

Offline E3E

« Reply #5635 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 00:19:36 »
Show Image

Show Image

Had to sacrifice a Next non-adb for this. I don't know where should I clue the apple logo

Tai Hao Hebrew too? Looks good!

Offline Delirious

« Reply #5636 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 00:22:04 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That's the one, I got lucky it's in pristine condition

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5637 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 00:23:47 »
Show Image

Show Image

Alps SKCM Cream Custom with a flipped spacebar. A man after my own heart. love it!

Offline E3E

« Reply #5638 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 01:30:43 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That's the one, I got lucky it's in pristine condition

Nice find, do you mind my asking where you found it? I got an APC board thanks to Bromono and Alienman being swell dudes and helping me with the board. The caps were pretty much unused in my case too, which only makes me not want to use them, heh.

Also, yes~ SKCM Creams are great.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #5639 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 09:18:17 »
I randomly searched for KPT 102 keyboard on ebay, wanting to get the multiple color chinese set. And there was a Hebrew KPT 102, listed less than a day. It was luck more than anything else.

« Last Edit: Sat, 15 April 2017, 20:30:38 by Delirious »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5640 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 09:49:30 »
Boredom and spare parts yielded this: SKCL green NTC 6851ea with a modified layout and alps sphericals.
Better photos of the finished product will come later.

Where it started. Gutted board, originally came with pine white alps.

Warning! PCB gore! The stock arrow and bottom row layout sucked ass, so I had to fix that. This is the first time I have ever lifted pads on purpose... but definitely not the first time.

All patched up and soldered together.

Greenies!

The Semi finished product. I am working on getting more alps sphericals to hopefully get rid of most of the apple pbt caps. Also, terrible photo as I was very tired when taking this...

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5641 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 11:42:35 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 12:59:00 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5642 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 11:54:36 »

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #5643 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 13:15:45 »
Nice little board you have there, NOS?

My Classifieds Thread

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5644 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 13:16:35 »
Nice little board you have there, NOS?
yeah it was, but I sold the NOS pine whites a long time ago

Offline babyfeets

« Reply #5645 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 18:25:15 »

Hey guys, can I appreciate some Alps with you? I should have bought these years ago instead of mainstream cherry stuff. It's nicer built, cheaper and stylish as well. The Dell is getting the rest of the click mod but I've been using it with only the alphabet section on so that I could notice every time I went for a key with no cap on it. That's right, it's destined for a 60% plate chop. Slightly OT HamKenobi on reddit recently stole this totally original idea and has a great build log. http://imgur.com/a/GDMrP
The Focus arrived today and it's immediately taken over. I got it instead of an Omnikey because it seems more ethical to chop a Focus, but I'm in no hurry; this keyboard is great as-is. Overall, 9/10 these Alps are appreciated and I could only wish for some heavier weight springs. I'm giving 80g cherry-stotles one last chance to win me over, but as of right now I'm a convert.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5646 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 18:30:18 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 12:58:56 by alienman82 »

Offline babyfeets

« Reply #5647 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 18:37:55 »
I knew samsung batteries broke fast, but damn that's a lot of batteries.

Yeah, that's definitely OT but I used to play a huge amount of a mobile game called Summoners War and those were a side effect of having the game run all day long. I would coincidentally not recommend that game.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5648 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 01:08:04 »
Show Image

Hey guys, can I appreciate some Alps with you? I should have bought these years ago instead of mainstream cherry stuff. It's nicer built, cheaper and stylish as well. The Dell is getting the rest of the click mod but I've been using it with only the alphabet section on so that I could notice every time I went for a key with no cap on it. That's right, it's destined for a 60% plate chop. Slightly OT HamKenobi on reddit recently stole this totally original idea and has a great build log. http://imgur.com/a/GDMrP
The Focus arrived today and it's immediately taken over. I got it instead of an Omnikey because it seems more ethical to chop a Focus, but I'm in no hurry; this keyboard is great as-is. Overall, 9/10 these Alps are appreciated and I could only wish for some heavier weight springs. I'm giving 80g cherry-stotles one last chance to win me over, but as of right now I'm a convert.
I broke out my 2002 recently for another spin, and it's just such a nice and fun board to use :D . Do you have the dust cover for it?
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline babyfeets

« Reply #5649 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 07:39:16 »
I broke out my 2002 recently for another spin, and it's just such a nice and fun board to use :D . Do you have the dust cover for it?
I do not, I wasn't looking for one. It may be superficial but I bid on this one because of the Turbo key in the correct profile for the right shift spot. It has great accents for a 60%: Macro, asterisk, and Turbo. If I had a dust cover it would definitely never be modded.